PDA

View Full Version : Harpers Ferry to Elkton Gap Mid Oct

Gambit McCrae
09-15-2014, 15:40
A friend and I are planning to start in HF Oct 10th LATE, and hike south 115 miles to Elkton over an 8-9 day period

Friday Night - Leave HF sometime in the AM and night hike as far as energy will allow
Saturday Night - Bears Den Hostel-19.5 Miles (There will be a good nap inbetween leaving the car and friday night and arriving to Bears Den Saturday evening)
Sunday Night - Somewhere in Sky Meadows SP apx 16.3 Miles (Is there camping along the AT in Sky Meadows SP?)
Monday Night - Jim and Molly D. Shelter-12 Miles
Tuesday Night - Front Royal Hostel - 9 miles
Wedseday Night - Elkwallow Wayside 15.3 Miles (Is there camping here OR close by on the south side?)
Thursday Night - Byrds Nest #3 11.8 Miles
Friday Night - Rock Spring Hut 10.9 Miles
Saturday Night - Lewis Mtn Campground 12.3 miles

Questions:
The two in Red above

Should we mail a mail drop resupply to Front Royal Hostel?

Suggested Shuttlers in the area? I figured I would park in HF and get our shuttle at trips end sunday the 19th

Any of the spots I mentioned for camping/ sleeping would you suggest not to stay at?

What is entailed in backpacking in the SNP? Fees? Permits?

Will there be a SOBO Crowd this time of the year? Mid Oct.

How Rocky is this area? I would love to bring my lab but dont want to get him into more then he can handle

Is this section agreat or just another section of green tunnel no attractions?

Studlintsean
09-15-2014, 16:48
I can address a few

- Sky Meadow's State Park- The actual park is down a long trail. You should be able to find camping in the area if I remember correctly. If not, less than 5 miles from there is a campsite with spring before Dick's Dome.

- Look into Splitting Tues/ Wed by staying at Gravel Springs Hut Wed night and then hike all the way to Byrd's Nest on Thursday. It will make Wed a bit shorter and Thurs a bit longer but doable. You can plan to catch sunset on Thursday night on top of Mary's Rock ​(You will not regret this if you can push the miles) and then hike the FLAT short distance to the shelter. The hike up Mary's Rock is about the toughest climb in the park IMO. I do not have my map so check the mileage and terrain.

- Permit- Get a back country permit when you enter into the park. There is a Kiosk that is self explanatory. Give rough estimates of where you are staying and display the permit on the outside of your pack. The rangers just want to account for everyone in the park and it is not strict like GSMNP.

- Dogs- I have hiked in this area with my dog many times and never had any issues with his pads. Its is very well graded. Keep in mind the mileage and his limits and your dog should be fine. Also, Keep in mind the bears will be out and getting fat for the winter so either keep him leashed or work on his recall.

Enjoy the hike. This is an area I frequent and I would probably run into you if I were not going to be working on a section a bit further south during that time frame. Be sure to check the wayside dates of closing and plan to eat at them if possible. Also, contact Coffee here on WB about his campsites when he did this section in the spring. He has it listed somewhere.

Cookerhiker
09-15-2014, 17:03
A friend and I are planning to start in HF Oct 10th LATE, and hike south 115 miles to Elkton over an 8-9 day period

Friday Night - Leave HF sometime in the AM and night hike as far as energy will allow
Saturday Night - Bears Den Hostel-19.5 Miles (There will be a good nap inbetween leaving the car and friday night and arriving to Bears Den Saturday evening)
Sunday Night - Somewhere in Sky Meadows SP apx 16.3 Miles (Is there camping along the AT in Sky Meadows SP?)
Tuesday Night - Front Royal Hostel - 9 miles
Wedseday Night - Elkwallow Wayside 15.3 Miles (Is there camping here OR close by on the south side?)
Thursday Night - Byrds Nest #3 11.8 Miles
Friday Night - Rock Spring Hut 10.9 Miles
Saturday Night - Lewis Mtn Campground 12.3 miles Might be closed for the season - check the SNP website. Even if it is, you can camp but don't expect the in-season amenities.

Questions:
The two in Red above

Should we mail a mail drop resupply to Front Royal Hostel?

Suggested Shuttlers in the area? I figured I would park in HF and get our shuttle at trips end sunday the 19th While HF is a good place to leave a car, it's tricky trying to arrange your shuttle at the back end because you can't determine your precise time. You don't want to leave a shuttler hanging. You can probably leave your car at Swift Run Gap by the entrance station and get your shuttle to HF. Or do your hike NOBO. Here's the ATC Shuttle list (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/find-a-hike/parking-shuttles-transportation).

Any of the spots I mentioned for camping/ sleeping would you suggest not to stay at?

What is entailed in backpacking in the SNP? Fees? Permits?

Will there be a SOBO Crowd this time of the year? Mid Oct. Since there aren't that many SOBOs, there's rarely a crowd. They're spread out. However the weekend could see a lot of locals because of the fall colors.

How Rocky is this area? I would love to bring my lab but dont want to get him into more then he can handle

Is this section great or just another section of green tunnel no attractions? Given your timeframe, you should see fall colors. Also, there are frequent overlooks in SNP.

Answers to some of your questions are in blue.

Other WB sources: Blissful is very familiar with SNP as she lives nearby and has been a ridgerunner for the last 2 years there. JohnnyBGood is also a frequent hiker there.

Coffee
09-15-2014, 18:13
Sky Meadows offers camping in a hike in campground that is downhill from the Appalachian Trail by a mile or two. I would not recommend trying to camp elsewhere in the park since it is prohibited and there are posted signs indicating this. It might be tempting to stealth camp given the open terrain but it is probably not a great idea. Here is a park guide: http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-parks/documents/data/trail-guide-skymeadows.pdf

The Elkwallow Wayside and the nearby picnic grounds are day-use areas and you cannot camp in close proximity to those areas although I've read plenty of reports of people stealth camping. It would be a better idea to go with one of the following options: (1) Stay at Matthews Arm developed campground while is somewhat north of the wayside and still open when you will be in the park; (2) Proceed a short distance past the wayside and hike down Jeremy's Run until you find a legal campground. Nice scenic walk and should be especially nice in the fall (watch out for stream crossings); (3) there are places to dry camp along the AT itself south of Elkwallow. Pick up water at Elkwallow and proceed a few miles and I think you should find something. I recall a large site near a trail junction. I believe it was the AT/Thronton Hollow junction but I'm not certain of that but I think you will find something.

Regarding Lewis Mountain, the good news is that it should be open when you are in the park. The bad news is that you plan to camp there on a Saturday night in peak foliage season. I suspect that you won't find a site after hiking all day and might have to backtrack to the Bearfence Hut vicinity. To avoid a possible backtrack, you might want to camp at Bearfence which is something like a mile north of Lewis Mountain. There are decent tent sites above the hut.

I always enjoy hiking in SNP. I also enjoyed the Front Royal to Harpers Ferry segment but probably not as much as SNP itself. I did enjoy Bear's Den and Sky Meadows but was not a fan of the roller coaster, which isn't as difficult as it sounds but wasn't pleasant hiking (part of the issue might have been that the weather sucked when I was there ... but probably not...)

johnnybgood
09-15-2014, 19:08
First off, Mike Evans owner/operator of Front Royal Hostel may be closed for the year. He in recent years had closed by August so I'd call beforehand ; 540-539-0509.
Camping in Sky Meadow SP is by reservation($15) only and is a 2 mile walk from the AT . I'd stay on the AT and camp at the tent site/spring a mile north of Dick's Dome. Be aware to wear orange in this area in October as there is active hunters range nearby.

The rockiest area from what I remember is around the Rollercoaster , although not terribly bad. No camping at Elk Wallow and south the trail runs parallel not to far removed from the Skyline Drive for a few miles. Should be flat through here though if you plan to camp. Pass Mountain Hut is approx. 5 miles south of Elk Wallow picnic area.

Coffee
09-15-2014, 19:21
There's also another hostel in Front Royal. I spoke to the owner of "Cabbin at Mountain Home" at the 522 trail junction earlier this year. I think she charges $20/night and provides shuttles to Front Royal. She had stopped to offer me a ride into town, but I was just taking a break before continuing on the trail.

Here's a listing I found: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/2943135

tf bear
09-16-2014, 14:00
Stay at the Cabbin it is 120 steps east of the AT at RT 522. 703-506-4576. Scott and Lisa will take care of you. Call Strings for a Shuttle in HF. He will take you to or from any where. 304-433-0028. His prices are very reasonable. Roller Coaster has rocks. Felt a little like being in PA. Sky Meadows is to far on a side trail to be worth going in my opinion. Bears Den is the best $30 stay on the trail.

Gambit McCrae
09-17-2014, 09:12
Getting to sky meadows is our long day at 17 miles. I found on rowlands picture website where the old ovark farm used to be? This would be a good tenting place with a possible stream from the data book but I could be way off here. and instead of trying to stealth at nest #4 we will stay at mathews arm campground. We will prolly have to wing it at lewis and hop efor the best, might be able to yogi a campsite with other campers we will see. What would be a good fall back plan to lewis campground being full?

Gambit McCrae
09-17-2014, 09:16
Oh and is there any sort of camping near skyland resort? This is my yearly vacation so I dont mind spending 200-300 on this trip for accomadations but it would be nice to not spend 148 for a night of rest haha As well, I see in the data book that there is a pub along this stretch but I also see that it goes thru front royal. Oonce in the park is big meadows the only "pub" location? are there drinks at skyland resort?

Coffee
09-17-2014, 09:38
What would be a good fall back plan to lewis campground being full?

Bearfence Hut, located maybe a mile north of Lewis Mountain Campground on a short side trail. Personally, if I was hiking southbound and arriving in the area in the afternoon on a Saturday in peak fall tourist season, I wouldn't even bother trying to get a site at Lewis Mountain and would instead go to Bearfence Hut's tent sites above the shelter. Otherwise, you have a good chance of having to backtrack after finding Lewis Mountain full, or trying to find something further south along the AT, and I do not recall if there are good options nearby to the south.

Coffee
09-17-2014, 09:42
Oh and is there any sort of camping near skyland resort?

There are potential stealth sites north of Skyland in the vicinity of the junction of the Stony Man trail, toward the east. I scoped out the possibilities in that area last year prior to a trip but wasn't sure how legal they are given proximity to a busy day use area. Some people stealth camp near the water tower which is near the AT right above the resort but that's definitely not legal. I don't think that there are good options south of Skyland since the horse stables are there and further south the topography isn't great for finding tent sites.

Studlintsean
09-17-2014, 11:47
I went and hiked a loop for Lewis Falls which included part of the AT recently with my fiance. The hike back (on the AT heading north) was not very strenuous and I have a hard time believing you wouldn't be able to find a spot to set up camp. I would guesstimate you could find one within a mile or 2. Not sure about water in the area except the actual falls which are a bit down a trail on your right.

Studlintsean
09-17-2014, 11:51
Here is the short loop description. From the description in paragraph 2 and 3, you could walk 70 yards and then .5 down hill to get to the streams at the top of the falls if you wanted to get water (and you would see the falls as a bonus). Depending how you are feeling on your last day, I would say it might be worth it as the cap on the trip.

http://www.midatlantichikes.com/id184.html

johnnybgood
09-17-2014, 12:17
Otherwise, you have a good chance of having to backtrack after finding Lewis Mountain full, or trying to find something further south along the AT, and I do not recall if there are good options nearby to the south.

There are good flat areas to less than a quarter mile south of Lewis Mountain . Additionally there are flat places to pitch a tent off the service road that intersects the AT heading east away from the campground.

Once the gravel service road ends the trail enters the woods where one can find a flat spot on either side of the trail. The best part is the water source is the nearby spigot at the rear of Lewis Mtn. campground.

Gambit McCrae
09-17-2014, 14:13
Revised Plan, still tweaking it and will only use it as a loose plan in the end:

Friday Night - Leave HF sometime in the AM and night hike8.4 miles to David Lesser shelter-take good nap
Saturday Night - Bears Den Hostel-11.1 Miles (There will be a good nap in between leaving the car and friday night and arriving to Bears Den Saturday evening)
Sunday Night - Somewhere south Sky Meadows SP apx 16.3 Miles
Tuesday Night - The Cabbin(Scott and Lisa)- 9 miles-this milage is up to the "Front Royal Hostel" Mile marker, I talk to Mike Evans, Real nice guy, We will shoot for him picking us up from Hogwallow Gap and taking us into Front Royal which would be a good 15 mile day but plan b is to meet him at the Front Royal hostel (which is closed for the year but he still does shuttles)
Wedseday Night - Mathews Arm Campground (,8 from AT) 13.8 miles for the day
Thursday Night - Byrds Nest #3 13.3 miles
Friday Night - Big Meadows Campground 14.4 Miles adn stop at Skyland resort for lunch!
Saturday Night - Bearfence Hut 8.4 miles This leaves us with a pretty short saturday, might could push on to the end at elkton if we get an early start, which would leave us a great sunday time for driving the 9-10 hours home.

Coffee
09-17-2014, 14:16
I like your plan! Have a great trip.

Gambit McCrae
09-17-2014, 15:19
Im hoping I finally can get the "long distance trip" feel I have been waiting for, with always having to rush through the miles, or try and push 40-50 miles in 3 days, I have taking all the precautions I know to have a successful hike
lowerish mile days, so moral boosters along the way, hostels, lodges campgrounds etc. taking a hiking buddy, leaving the dog at home! lol, as long as it doesnt storm the whole time it will be great! only thing that I am iffy on getting thru is driving the 10 hours, and then walking the 8.4 miles to friday night we will see

Coffee
09-17-2014, 15:34
Other than the initial climb, the walk south of HF shouldn't be a difficult one. But personally I would stay at the Teahorse hostel if arriving late in the day and start hiking the following day. I hiked Bears Den to HF northbound and while the distance is about 20 miles, it wasn't a difficult stretch of trail. But maybe not the way to start off a longer hike; it was in the middle of my section hike.

Gambit McCrae
09-17-2014, 15:36
Our plan is really to just get as far as we can on our energy, but if we hit 8.4 miles and get to an empty shelter we will crash and that will put us for success for the rest of the trip, if we fall out of the car and start sat with 20 miles, we will do it, but will be beat lol

Studlintsean
09-17-2014, 15:48
Other than the initial climb, the walk south of HF shouldn't be a difficult one. But personally I would stay at the Teahorse hostel if arriving late in the day and start hiking the following day. I hiked Bears Den to HF northbound and while the distance is about 20 miles, it wasn't a difficult stretch of trail. But maybe not the way to start off a longer hike; it was in the middle of my section hike.

If I remember correctly, once you get out of HF and climb the hill, you go through a pretty rocky section. I think there is a few nice campsites just past the rocks. This might be a good place to setup camp for the night, hike to David Lesser in the AM to get some water, and then knock out the hike to Bear's Den that afternoon. That should put you at Bear's Den in the early evening where you can lounge around all afternoon and hit the ground running on Sunday morning. The best plan is always no plan, you will know when you should stop or whether you should keep going.

johnnybgood
09-17-2014, 16:51
Enjoy the swing under the pavilion at David Lesser. To add a side note : The spring here is a long way down the hill on the blue blaze.

Bears Den in the past has had a hiker's special with a stay. Ask about it . It had something to do with pizza and ice cream... ( INSERT A SMILIE HERE ) .

Gambit McCrae
09-24-2014, 14:27
Well I believe I have and continue to take my planning seriously as I have excel'd My whole trip which includeds my meals, resupply, shuttle and hostel info along with a self calculating mpd, total miles complete and left. I have quit smoking and am enjoying the extra money as well as the relief of breathing. As well I am up to running about 2.5 miles at a time. walking 7 miles a day total. I have all my shuttles, hostels, and campgrounds paid for OR reserved. and am ready to hit it!

Furlough
09-25-2014, 08:22
If I remember correctly, once you get out of HF and climb the hill, you go through a pretty rocky section. I think there is a few nice campsites just past the rocks. This might be a good place to setup camp for the night, hike to David Lesser in the AM to get some water, and then knock out the hike to Bear's Den that afternoon. That should put you at Bear's Den in the early evening where you can lounge around all afternoon and hit the ground running on Sunday morning. The best plan is always no plan, you will know when you should stop or whether you should keep going.

It has been a few years since I hiked this section (I was headed North), but as I recall Studlintsean is correct about the rocky section. If I recall correctly there is an old woods road that kind of parallels the rocks and there were a few spots in this vicinity where you could set up a tent or two. I hiked that section in November after the leaves had fallen, earlier than that the brush and tree cover may hide what I took to be an old woods road.

Furlough