PDA

View Full Version : Sheep Pen Gap this week

squeeze
09-15-2014, 20:34
First time hiking up to Gregory Bald , camping at Sheep Pen Gap. We will be heading up Long Hungry Ridge Trail and back down Wolf ridge trail. How is the trail? A tough climb up?

TNhiker
09-15-2014, 21:15
It's been well over a decade since I've done that loop so can't attest to trail conditions but will say ---it's all uphill to ya get to the bald basically...

thats the least crowded way up to bald so you may or may not see people til ya get close to the bald...

do yourself a favor and make it point to get water at moores spring which you'll see a a carving in the sign at the intersection before you make the last pull up to bald...

the spring here is a much better spring than the one just below the campsite.....

bring some sort of storage device for all the water you need as you don't wanna make this trip twice (it's like a mile or so round trip from the campsite)

have fun....be careful with your food as that area was closed down for a while due to the bears...

ATL Backpacker
09-15-2014, 21:52
I guess it all depends on timing/recent rains but we found the water source below Sheep Pen had sufficient flow to collect water (Memorial Day). Had to hike up the creek about 25 yards to find the best flow though as it's a bit mucky where it crosses the trail. Just an option if you don't want to haul water or you run out while in camp.

HooKooDooKu
09-15-2014, 22:55
The water source for Sheep's Pan Gap is about 1/4 mile DOWN Gregory Bald trail, and compared to most water sources in GSMNP isn't very good.

However, there is a great water source known as Moore Spring located BEFORE you get to Gregory Bald.u

Once Long Hungary Ridge intersect Gregory Bald trail, turn left and go 1/10th of a mile to reach a 4-way intersection with Gregory Ridge trail. Follow the trail where there is a sign that says "No Horses" (one of the signs also has "H20" carved into it trying to label the trail). This unnamed trail is relatively flat and goes for a little over a 1/4 mile before you reach the spring. Tank up with all the water you will need for Sheep's Pen Gap that night and as you start down Wolf Ridge the next day. Unless you need to return to the intersection with Gregory Ridge Trail (such as if you are working toward the 900 Miler Club), there is a short cut strait up the mountain. To find the trail, turn back the way you came and cross the clearing that Moore Spring is located and you should see the trail on the left as you return to the bushes. If you have problems finding the trail, simply start walking uphill. Within 1/10 of a mile, you should intersect Gregory Bald trail and save 1/2 mile from your journey.

Another thing I like to do when I go to Sheep's Pen Gap is to return to Gregory Bald to cook and eat dinner. During the day, the bald can be very crowded. But as the sun starts going down, most day hikers will have already returned down Gregory Bald. I've had the bald all to myself at dinner time before, though more typical is for there to be about 3 to 6 other people at the bald during that time of day.

Another suggestion is to walk back up to the bald after sunset to enjoy the stars. But most time's I've been at the bald, the weather was too cold or too cloudy to enjoy stars.

squeeze
09-21-2014, 09:13
Spent the night at Sheep Pen on Sept 18th. Went up Long Hungry Ridge Trail and was running late with leg cramps, so I decided to take my chances with the water source at 13. It was more than adequate. Loaded up our water bucket and filtered in camp. We were lucky enough to have the campsite to ourselves. View on Gregory Bald is awesome. Heard coyotes, but unfortunately no bears were seen. Lots of scat and tracks though.

barich942
02-11-2015, 12:27
Hope you had a nice time