PDA

View Full Version : HOOAH! Energy Bar

Teatime
10-12-2005, 19:55
Does anyone have experience with the HOOAH! energy bar? Have read some good reviews about them. Hey, Sgt. Rock, as a soldier, what is your experience with these?

stupe
10-12-2005, 20:11
My cousin is in the National Guard, and he got us a box of them once. I don't recall the flavors, but do remember that we ate them all. I liked them, and I heard no complaints from my fam.

SGT Rock
10-13-2005, 00:30
I only ever got one once back in '95. I can't remember much about it other than it tasted good compared to MREs.

CynJ
10-13-2005, 00:33
I just saw some of these on Ebay....

Teatime
10-13-2005, 00:51
I was still in the USAF back in 1995 and we never even heard of these things. We were still eating the "John Wayne Cookies" packed in the MREs. I would like to find some of the MRE Bread Ration that came in its own foil package. I think they would make good bread for the trail.
I only ever got one once back in '95. I can't remember much about it other than it tasted good compared to MREs.

SGT Rock
10-13-2005, 01:10
Well in 1995 I attended the AUSA convention at D.C. and they were given to everyone at a presentation from some group, I think it was the Soldier Center which is the Army center that develops new gear, chow, clothing, etc. It was the meeting where I also first saw the IBA I never got until 2002.

TDale
10-13-2005, 10:03
Teatime, tehse folks carry the seperate MRE components but appear to be out of the bread and crackers:http://www.longlifefood.com/

veteran
10-13-2005, 14:00
This company carries them.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/campingsurvival/hoenbaenbarc.html

Mouse
10-13-2005, 23:06
Why not go all the way? Genuine Civil War style MREs! :rolleyes:
http://www.bentscookiefactory.com/hardtack.htm

Teatime
10-14-2005, 03:22
No thanks! I used to be a CW re-enactor and had enough hardtack back in those days.
Why not go all the way? Genuine Civil War style MREs! :rolleyes:
http://www.bentscookiefactory.com/hardtack.htm

IdahoDavid
10-14-2005, 13:50
I have often wonder about the use of pemmican as a light high-energy bar for hiking food.

The original used by Indians and trappers combined jerky, dry berries and lots of suet. I have made a modern version combining dry meat, raisins and other dried fruit, sunflower seeds and/or peanuts and using apple sauce as a binder rather than the suet. (I think some canola or safflower oil added to the mix would raise the fat content nicely.) You grind the mixture together. An old-fashioned meat grider works good for this. Spread it out on baking parchment about a half-inch thick and let it dry in the oven until semisoft at about 125 degrees. You can cut the bars and wrap them in plastic and foil. It works good to freeze them until needed. The tase is sweet and salty.

Most of the energy bars I've seen contain oatmeal and that gives me a bad reaction (nuf said).

Mouse
10-14-2005, 15:36
I don't know about using apple sauce in lieu of fat. Wouldn't that drastically cut the calorie content. Taking out the energy would sort of defeat the point of a lightweight energy food.

IdahoDavid
10-14-2005, 23:28
Very true. Probably for trail food a vegitable shortening or other substutute for suet would be advisable.

Toolshed
10-16-2005, 08:22
Aaaah Hell !!!!! We didn't need no damn Candy Bars when I was in the army, TROOPER; Just suck up some of that C-Ration instant Coffee and smoke down a couple of those c-ration 5packs of cigarrettes and TOUGH IT OUT TROOPER!!!!!! :D

Furlough
10-16-2005, 09:33
Does anyone have experience with the HOOAH! energy bar? Have read some good reviews about them. Hey, Sgt. Rock, as a soldier, what is your experience with these?Teatime - Along with backpacking I also enjoy long distance running and as such have tried just about all the major "energy bars" at one time or another. I am active duty Army, but had not tried to the HOOAH bar until a couple of weeks ago. I ate the apple cinnamon flavored one as part of my pre race breakfast before running in the Army Ten miler. I really like this bar. The taste and texture are good. Also, you do not feel like your jaws are working over time to eat the thing. At the end of the race I was not running on an empty tanK, so I believe it (along with good water stops) did it's job. Usally I throw in a couple of Power Bars for a weekend backpacking trip. I will be using the HOOAH bars for backpacking the next time I go out.

stupe
10-16-2005, 18:21
Does anybody remember the old K rations that came in cans? They were allegedly leftover Korean War issue, and they were still giving them out into the eightys in the NG. ( !) Besides a main dish, ( like cans of beef or pork patties in gravy ), there would be a can that had an envelope of Cocoa Beverage powder and crackers crammed neatly inside. The crackers were especially good.
You also might get a can which contained an individual fruit cake. It was the only fruit cake I ever liked, I think they used raisins and other dried fruit, rather than citrons and candied fruit.
You also got five cigarettes, matches, gum, and toilet paper. The cans were all olive drab, with indistinct black lettering on the top.

Dances with Mice
10-16-2005, 18:55
Does anybody remember the old K rations that came in cans? They were allegedly leftover Korean War issue, and they were still giving them out into the eightys in the NG. ( !) Besides a main dish, ( like cans of beef or pork patties in gravy ), there would be a can that had an envelope of Cocoa Beverage powder and crackers crammed neatly inside. The crackers were especially good.
You also might get a can which contained an individual fruit cake. It was the only fruit cake I ever liked, I think they used raisins and other dried fruit, rather than citrons and candied fruit.
You also got five cigarettes, matches, gum, and toilet paper. The cans were all olive drab, with indistinct black lettering on the top. You've described several C-rat delicacies, I don't know the diff between C- and K-. No matches or cigs in the C's, but there was Chicklet gum and a tiny pack of toilet paper. Everyone smart (...or at least experienced...) stashed a real roll of TP in their duffle.

The cocoa powder combined with a couple creamer packets and the juice from the can of fruit cocktail made a gritty 'pudding'. A couple of the creamers, some sugar, a sprinkle of the instant coffee and a couple drops of water made icing for the fruit cake.

hikernc
10-17-2005, 16:29
Does anyone have experience with the HOOAH! energy bar? Have read some good reviews about them. Hey, Sgt. Rock, as a soldier, what is your experience with these?
No, but I need all the energy I can get.

Toolshed
10-17-2005, 23:07
WE called them C-rations in the 70's. We used'em in during maneuvres in the field, but they were always around when I was in later stationed in Germany.

We got the 5-packs of smokes - Ether Marlboros, Winstons or Kools, I don;t remember any other brand, but we were always trading off, the blacks smoked Kools, while the whites smoked Marlbor or Winston.
We also had the tiny rolls of toilet paper and the instnat coffee with a creamer and a sugar and a double chiclet. Also I remember the little green heavy duty foil squeeze pouches of processed cheese or peanut butter as well as those very hard pilot crackers.
We used to put the cans of chicken or beef stew on the jeep manifold to cook (along with our mugs of hot water for coffee.)
Aaaah... the good old days.

johnny quest
10-23-2005, 19:47
anybody remember how to make ranger cookies? we used to amuse ourselves when we were snowed in during ops in korea. lets see...first you take the creamer out of the mre accesory package....

SGT Rock
10-23-2005, 20:16
I know Ranger pudding:

Coco, mix in creamer, sugar, and coffee. Crush up crackers and stir int a big mushy mess.

That sound like what you were referring to?

johnny quest
10-23-2005, 20:26
well if rock doesnt know ranger cookies i figger none of you do so here is how it goes:
take the creamer packet from the mre. notice that creamer..even the type you steal from dairy queen...comes in a foil packet to keep out moisture. carefully open this packet at the end and then do likewise for the sugar packet. pour the creamer into the sugar packet and mash around to mix it. once you have it mixed real well (this is important!) pour as much as you can of the mixture back into the foil creamer packet. fold down the torn end to keep it from spilling out then place it on stove or oven or frying pan or some other hot surface. turn when you start seeing burn marks on the packet. then when it cools carefully peel the packet off and you have a ranger cookie! the sugar and creamer melt together to make a pretty darn good facsimile of a sugar cookie. or at least, good enough if your incredibly bored and living off nothing but mre's! enjoy!

Teatime
10-24-2005, 01:43
I was in Korea but never made Ranger Cookies. However, I was in an Air Control Squadron and we slept in tents and ate MREs like the Army guys. As a matter of fact, we were stationed on an Army post, Camp Humphries, or "The Hump" to those of us who were there. I was in the 619th Air Control Squadron and our motto was "Wine me, Dine me 6-1-9 me".

I was also stationed in 1st Comm (1st Combat Communications Squadron), where I also slept in tents and ate MREs. My crew chief came up with some mean creations from MRE components that managed to stink up our maintenance tent so bad that the excercise evaluators wouldn't come in. I'll let you figure out where the smell came from but if you've seen the campfire scene in Blazing Saddles, then you know what I mean.

anybody remember how to make ranger cookies? we used to amuse ourselves when we were snowed in during ops in korea. lets see...first you take the creamer out of the mre accesory package....

kjumper1
10-25-2005, 04:20
im over in Iraq right now with the Marines out of Camp Lejeune, NC and the have HOOAH bars all over the chowhalls here. ive eaten a few of em, dont remember the flavors, and they are pretty good. i think they taste better than Power Bars myself. they give u a quick fill up if your on the go and dont have alot of time for chow. i keep a few stashed in my day pack for patrols and they work in a pinch!

saimyoji
12-15-2005, 20:09
Now available at your local Wegman's supermarket (at least in Allentown PA). I think they were in the dietary supplement section (not the organic section). Price was something like $2-3 per bar. They only had the apple cinnamon flavor.

LostInSpace
12-15-2005, 22:25
Does anyone have the specs: fat, carb, and protien content and percentage? My choice to date is Bear Mountain Pemmican - Fruit & Nuts.

MorrisseyFan
12-15-2005, 23:03
Nutritional Info: http://www.hooahbar.com/hooah_nutrition.html

Mouse
12-16-2005, 00:20
I LOVE Bear Mountain bars! I cleaned out the Hanover food coop to mail north for lunches until Katahdin. (Okay, they only had about 2 dozen, but I still cleaned them out)

littlefoot
02-25-2006, 11:03
During my recent stay in New Orleans I was introduced to 'Hooah' bars from one of the charities I worked with. Wish I had one of the wrappers so I could give some info but alas I ate them all. They came in two flavors, Apple Cinammon and Chocolate. They are pretty good...similar to old school power bars but a better consistency in my opinion. My buddy and I carried several on our way to Florida...I don't know what they sell for...I saw some surplus out fit had them on their website but the package was different. The ones we got has a camo wrapper.

No matter where you go.
There you are.

Fiddler
02-25-2006, 11:58
Wish I had one of the wrappers so I could give some info but alas I ate them all.
Do they taste as good as the bars? :-? :D

xXIndyXx
02-25-2006, 17:15

I saw these at the BX (or PX for the soldiers) on Eglin and wondered the same thing. I think they were less than a $1.00 ea.

Jack Tarlin
02-25-2006, 17:56
I know there are folks who swear by them, but I never much saw the point in "sports" bars. They're heavier than most candy bars, have fewer calories, and pretty much taste like ass. A Snickers, by the way, has more calories than a Cliff Bar or a Power Bar, tastes a lot better, and weighs less. Also, if you're already taking a daily multi-vitamin, this makes up for a lot of the added "supplements" in the energy bars. Oh, and did I mention that "sports bars" can cost as much as $3.99? Personally, I'll stick to Milky Ways and a daily vitamin.

Sloghound
02-25-2006, 21:49
I've found Dr. Stein's Energy Bars at Costco. Now, they maybe also be called Energy Bagels, even though they are not very similar to a bagel.

A dry-ish whole wheat mini-loaf, cinnamon flavored, with apples, walnuts and raisins. Sort of a dry rugged muffin. Tasty, bread-chewy, long shelf life in a mylar plastic wrapper, physically durable, cheap, and if you like the basic flavor elements, yummy. $6.00 for a bag of 18.

Not ultra calorie concentrated, but you won't have the sugar rush and crash. Plus, no trans fats.

LostInSpace
02-26-2006, 01:08
Snickers - 136 calories / oz.

Bear Valley Pemmican - Carob - Cocoa - 118 calories / oz.

For a high calorie snack, eat roasted nuts, already shelled:

Walnuts - 194 calories / oz.
Pistachios - 186 calories / oz.
Peanuts - 180 calories / oz.

bigcat2
02-26-2006, 01:47
You should check out the XS Energy Bars. They're quite tasty and come in Double Fudge, Caramel Peanut, and Caramel Nut Roll. I just discoverd them about 2 months ago and they seem to provide a lot of energey w/ good taste and good consistency. PM me if you want/need more info.

LEGS
02-26-2006, 10:44
Walkin Home Provided Me With One Of These While I Was Staying At The Cabin. Later In The 100 Mile Wilderness I Tried It,it Was Rasberry Flavored,tasted Damn Good,didnt Find It Hard To Chew, And Was A Welcome Energy Boost. I'd Recommend Them To Anyone Who Feels Like They Need To Carry A Power Bar. But Like Jack Says, Snickers Are The Best For The Price,and Do The Results Are The Same.

Wanderingson
10-09-2006, 13:13
Greetings Folks,

I know this is an old thread, but I'm still relatively new to WB and kicking through some of the older threads.

Rock, the Hooah Bar you had in 1995 was one of the prototypes from the Solider Systems Command out of Natick, Ma. You probably got one of the first runs on the prototype before they actually put them on the streets (in the field). I was part of a working group and had an opportunity to go out to Natick to check out futuristic technologies. I went home with a case of the 1st generation Hoaahs.

I had an apple cinnamon one today. Let me tell you they have really come a long way since the flavored sawdust days.

The military packaing is much different from the commercial packaging. They still use the Desert Camo packaging. None the less they still pack a great sustained level of energy and were designed to supplement the already wholesome MREs wheter we like them or not.

They weigh in at 65 grams and have 278 calories and a bunch of other nutrients. I didn't bring any to the house, so I can't give all the details. I'm sold on them myself.