PDA

View Full Version : "Smile" at Amazon

Cosmo
09-16-2014, 21:16
If you go to smile.amazon.com (http://smile.amazon.com)you can register the Appalachian Trail Conservancy to recieve 0.5% of the cost of every purchase you make. Seems like a good way to help the ATC if you have an Amazon account.

Cosmo

overthinker
09-16-2014, 23:35
Didn't know that was one of the choices, I think I'm currently set up with the Wilderness Society or some such. Going to have to make a change to that!

Just Bill
09-16-2014, 23:39
Thank you, checked it out, seems like most items are eligible- and it's free!

Offshore
09-17-2014, 07:21
If you go to smile.amazon.com (http://smile.amazon.com)you can register the Appalachian Trail Conservancy to recieve 0.5% of the cost of every purchase you make. Seems like a good way to help the ATC if you have an Amazon account.

Cosmo

Just because a charity is on the Amazon Smile list, it doesn't mean its set up to receive donations. A few weeks ago I changed my charity on Amazon Smile to ATC and got the message that "we'll reach out to your charity to ensure they are ready to receive donations..."meaning that ATC isn't completely set up to participate. I emailed ATC to ask if they were able to receive donations through Amazon Smile. They didn't bother with a response, so I changed my charity to one that I knew to be set up.

If you read the fine print on the Amazon Smile T&Cs, it says that if your selected charity doesn't finish its Smile setup in order to actually receive the donation, Amazon will donate to another charity - one you can't select. ATC really needs to get its act together...

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
09-17-2014, 08:03
Just because a charity is on the Amazon Smile list, it doesn't mean its set up to receive donations. A few weeks ago I changed my charity on Amazon Smile to ATC and got the message that "we'll reach out to your charity to ensure they are ready to receive donations..."meaning that ATC isn't completely set up to participate. I emailed ATC to ask if they were able to receive donations through Amazon Smile. They didn't bother with a response, so I changed my charity to one that I knew to be set up.

If you read the fine print on the Amazon Smile T&Cs, it says that if your selected charity doesn't finish its Smile setup in order to actually receive the donation, Amazon will donate to another charity - one you can't select. ATC really needs to get its act together...

Oh I sure hope they do Offshore. Getting ready to wrap up my purchases for my thru and have some thing on my amazon wishlist. I'll be sure to double-check before ordering. Thanks for pointing this out!

colorado_rob
09-17-2014, 09:25
This is great news if in fact the ATC does start receiving these donations. Between myself and my wife we probably spend at least 10 grand a year on Amazon (we buy nearly everything there, free shipping, no sales tax, usually best prices; we shop elsewhere but wind up buying on Amazon, usually). 0.5% of 10K = 50 bucks a year from us. Get it together ATC!

Mags
09-17-2014, 11:18
Rob, if you are looking to donate locally, the Continental Divide Trail Coalition is set up on Smile. The Colorado Trail Foundation is as well.

As you said, a convenient way to donate to a charity.

colorado_rob
09-17-2014, 11:46
Rob, if you are looking to donate locally, the Continental Divide Trail Coalition is set up on Smile. The Colorado Trail Foundation is as well.

As you said, a convenient way to donate to a charity.excellent! I'll go with the CT, of course. Thanks!

Lauriep
09-17-2014, 17:10
Thanks, Cosmo, for posting this and others for your enthusiasm. We are working on it, and will make an announcement when everything goes through.

Laurie P.
ATC

Cookerhiker
09-17-2014, 17:21
This is great news if in fact the ATC does start receiving these donations. Between myself and my wife we probably spend at least 10 grand a year on Amazon (we buy nearly everything there, free shipping, no sales tax, usually best prices; we shop elsewhere but wind up buying on Amazon, usually). 0.5% of 10K = 50 bucks a year from us. Get it together ATC!

As you said, a convenient way to donate to a charity.

excellent! I'll go with the CT, of course. Thanks!

Hmmm - tough choice for me.:-?

rocketsocks
09-17-2014, 17:24
didn't know these programs were available, thanks.

Theosus
09-17-2014, 20:56
Hmmm - I'll have to double check that, I've been using smile set to the ATC for a couple of months. Hopefully my meager donations haven't been going to ISIS or something...

Riocielo
09-27-2014, 04:15
I am set up for Wounded Warriors. With a son who is a Marine -- who has had two deployments and returned with only hearing loss-- I feel the need to do what I can for families not as fortunate as ours.

Just Bill
09-27-2014, 15:26
Double bonus-
Just bought some Altra olympus shoes.
(disclosure, I have prime subscription)
But a small donation goes to the ATC, AND I got a prime discount, no sales tax, etc. Out the door with two day shipping- $116 for $130 shoe. And somewhere along the way ATC gets a few quarters to rub together and make squirrel noises.

rickb
09-27-2014, 15:44

Cosmo

If the ATC had a discrete link to Amazon on their page, they would get between 4% an 8.5% for everything I buy at Amazon. I respect the non-commercial principals of the ATC and lack clutter at places like Whiteblaze.net, but as things stand I will continue to buy via another good organization's link to Amazon. More bang for click.

10-K
09-27-2014, 15:49

Same here...

Wonder who needs money the most - ATC or CDT...

rickb
09-27-2014, 16:06
If the ATC had a link to Amazon on their site, they could get AT LEAST $400 from Colorado Rob's purchases alone.

Jeff
11-09-2014, 21:11
Any updates if the ATC is now able to take advantage of this program??

stacy324
11-09-2014, 23:16
Any updates if the ATC is now able to take advantage of this program??

Not sure about the ATC, but the Georgia Appalachian Trail Club is. http://smile.amazon.com/ch/58-6134664

peakbagger
11-10-2014, 09:24
I have been designating ATC on Smile since this thread started up. I am not sure where I can track the actual donations. I am curious that ATC has not publicized it. .