PDA

View Full Version : keeping your gear together in a shelter

squeezebox
09-17-2014, 07:19
Sounds easy to get gear confused in a shelter. I'm a slob trying to recover, I'm trying to takes steps. So after reading some journals that included lost gear (usually in shelters) I'm thinking ."What do I do to keep my gear with me" ? Maybe anything that comes out of my pack goes on my sleeping pad or ground cloth, sit pad too small.
Ground cloth sounds best to me. Then gear back in the pack. Organized pack up can happen the morning.
Given my normal tendencies I will lose gear.

July
09-17-2014, 07:51
You only need so much out there, and after a (short) while should have it dialed in. To the point you can basically reach in your pack blindfolded and touch what you need. If in the tent/tarp should be no problem, but yes, SHELTERS do instigate gear explosions...:)

Gambit McCrae
09-17-2014, 07:54
If I stay in a shelter I try and get a spot against the wall, then I divide the room of the shelter floor with my body and keep all MY stuff between me and the wall. and as quickly as i can put mystuff back in my pack.

Tendencies to lookout for of how you can loose gear:
Getting a snack out during a break and forgetting to put something back in your pack
things not secured well enough on the outside of your pack

Coffee
09-17-2014, 07:59
Keep gear that you are not using in your pack, or if you use you pack as part of your sleep system, carry a lightweight stuff sack that can fit all small items that you use in camp. One reason I much prefer tenting is because I know that when I finish packing up what's inside my tent, I'm good to go since I leave nothing outside except my food bag when I choose to hang food.

bigcranky
09-17-2014, 08:10
If you're like many hikers, you'll explode your gear all over the shelter, then look aggrieved when another hiker comes in and expects to use "your" shelter. :)

I put down my polycro ground sheet, then my sleeping pad, and everything goes on top of the pad or in my pack unless I am using it. That way I can keep track of my gear, and also not take up more than my share of space. The only exception is very wet clothing, which I hang up wherever possible -- haven't left anything so far.

But all of this is a good reason to tent nearby if possible :)

Pedaling Fool
09-17-2014, 08:16
I have also noticed that people have very different ideas of personal space. Some do explode their packs all over the place, but others try and organize everything in a tight area on and around their sleeping pad, expecting everyone to respect their space, but some just don't have the same idea of "space" and practically walk over others sleeping pads. It's entertaining to watch sometimes.

Another example of etiquette not working on the trail :)

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
09-17-2014, 08:16
If I stay in a shelter I try and get a spot against the wall, then I divide the room of the shelter floor with my body and keep all MY stuff between me and the wall. and as quickly as i can put mystuff back in my pack.

Tendencies to lookout for of how you can loose gear:
Getting a snack out during a break and forgetting to put something back in your pack
things not secured well enough on the outside of your pack

Great suggestion Gambit if I end up in a shelter. Leaning more toward not sleeping in the shelters but great idea if I end up doing so. I can be bad about surveying an area I break at before I pull out so I try to get organized in the morning by figuring out my food for the day and packing it separate at the top of my bag. Also, working on paring down so everything fits inside my bag. Took a little shuffling around to get the weight distributed right and as food gets used will have to reshuffle but it worked pretty well on my last hike.

Thanks for the insight

Trance
09-17-2014, 09:53
Ziplock bags keep my stuff organized. I keep food, extra water, extra stuff like a big ziplock bag on top in the pack. Keep stuff you have to get to constantly on top. Tent Sleeping bag, pad, jetboil.... bottom of bag.

Keeps it organized for me.

Slo-go'en
09-17-2014, 10:17
It's pretty simple, anything your not using at the moment stays in the pack or goes back into it when your done using an item.

steve0423
09-17-2014, 10:30
After packing up in the morning or after a break, I’ve gotten into the habit of taking about four steps then turning around to do a quick visual of the area. Simple, but its helped several times, usually trekking poles.

wornoutboots
09-17-2014, 10:38
Throw your pad down 1st to claim your spot, then keep everything on it or touching nearly it.

illabelle
09-17-2014, 10:48
One little habit that helps me not lose things is closing zippers immediately. Need to see the trail guide or map, or maybe some duct tape? Get it out, zip the pocket. When finished with it, put it back and zip it back up.
This applies to any sack or compartment that holds several small items, items that could easily fall out if the bag gets moved or falls over. It does not apply to the large zippered compartment that holds my sleeping bag - there's nothing else in there.

AO2134
09-17-2014, 10:52
I always get the feeling that I am leaving something behind every time I shelter camp or even when I have to resupply water/change socks. If my pack comes off my back, this feeling always seems to follow.

A system is the answer. I haven't found one yet, but that is what you need. It needs to become second nature. It comes with time. I just started backpacking this year. I have been on 6-7 backpacking trips since July, and I am still working on a system.

Where in your pack things need to be for ease of access? What do you need while hiking? What don't you need? What do you need in camp/shelter? What don't you need?

I have created a system that I labeled my dry bags. I have a dry bag just for socks. Another for camp clothes/extra hiking clothes. Another for miscellaneous, etc, etc. I have created a word document with what I carry and in what dry bags I intend to carry them and where in my pack I intend to carry them.

For example,

rain gear, pack cover, in mesh pockets.

bug repellant bug net in hip strap pockets.

brain of pack : water filter, first aid, baby wipes, etc.

I print this out every time I hike and kind of use it as a check list to make sure I leave with everything.

Despite all of this, I still get that feeling that I am leaving things behind mainly because I am always in a hurry to start hiking again during a short break to resupply/food or breaking camp.

Best advice I can give: develop a system; practice / tweak it as needed; be organized before you leave; stick to the system; do it over and over again until it is second nature.

Traveler
09-17-2014, 11:05
Perhaps the most important part of any system one uses to avoid gear loss, the "Last Look" technique has prevented me from leaving things behind. This is a simple practice thats engaged once you have saddled up and are ready to go, take a quick stroll around the campsite or look into the shelter where you were to see if you have left anything. If this is done religiously for a week or two, it will become second nature muscle memory. I can almost guarantee you will find most anything you may have left behind if you move away from the area then walk back to it. Stuff seems to pop up at you that way.

1StepCloser
09-17-2014, 11:11
I carried two trash compactor bags on my thru. One acted as my pack liner. The second was always folded up and at the top of my pack. It had multiple uses (dry place to put my pack down on muddy days, container for wet rain gear in tent, etc.) but its primary use was as a way to keep track of all my gear in a shelter or hostel. System worked very well - never left anything, and it made it easy to move all my gear to another location for packing up while others were still asleep.

slbirdnerd
09-17-2014, 12:33
Same as others: Spot along the wall, put down my ground sheet (all if space allows but it has so far) and keep my stuff beside me on the ground sheet between me and the wall. I use my empty pack under my pillow, helps keep it from sliding around. In the tent it's easy to keep it all together of course. Hadn't before, but had a mouse issue in the last shelter I slept in so may be tenting more often.

MuddyWaters
09-17-2014, 22:23
A shelter sleeping area is for sleeping. Keep your crap together in your pack, and out of others way. That's what the big nails are for. Someone that can't, often has unnecessary stuff, ie they are a camper.

RED-DOG
09-18-2014, 12:12
when I stay in a shelter ( very rare ) I only take out what I will need like sleeping pad, sleeping bag, food bag, stove all my gear is initialed, everything else I leave in my pack and when I do take something out I put it back soon as possible.

chiefiepoo
09-18-2014, 15:42
Back at the trail head , when I'm leaving after throwing all of the wet, nasty gear in the car and changing out boots or clothes I start the car up and move it forward a car length. I often will see an items drop and bounce under the car that I can see and recover. Rolling ahead and checking before driving off has saved me a few losses.

rocketsocks
09-18-2014, 15:45
+1 on "the look back" and staying organized with ditty bags...many won't carry because of the weight, but when cuban fiber that becomes nominal....git ya some!

Feral Bill
09-18-2014, 16:06
Shelter or not, look around the area fro things you may have left hanging to dry.

atmilkman
09-18-2014, 21:50
SHELTERS do instigate gear explosions...:)
Ain't that the truth. Perfect example. 2 hikers, and one is hanging.

Alligator
09-19-2014, 00:17
I try to keep stuff on my ground cloth. I agree with July, you will get to the point where you have a system of packing in place and you will know where everything should be. A lot of other good tips mentioned. Always close your pack's zippers, especially the top lid if you have one as it will surely dump everything out if you flip it to get into the main pack compartment. Remember to do this when you sit down on a log for lunch as stuff will spill out behind the log. When you do take a break on a log, check behind it when you leave. I'm not saying I've lost anything that way, but I sure have picked up stuff many a time that has dumped out. If you use it put it back right when you are done with it. Don't stick it on the top wall plate of the shelter. Don't put your stuff down in other out of the way places. Put it back in your pack, in whatever stuff sack, pocket, or compartment that holds it. When you take your stakes out their bag, sleeping pad out of its stuff sack, sleeping bag out of its stuff sack, tent out of it's stuff sack, put each sack in the next one and put the last one back in your pack so it doesn't blow away. Keep paired items together. If your gloves have those little clips on them, use them.

Dogtra
09-19-2014, 04:32
After setting up my pad and sleeping bag, I place my pack on top while I pull out ONLY the items I NEED. There is no reason to spread all of my equipment everywhere. Once I'm done everything besides my sleeping gear goes back into my pack. Then I either place the pack on a hook, against the wall near my feet, or under my lower legs.

July
09-19-2014, 08:51
After setting up my pad and sleeping bag, I place my pack on top while I pull out ONLY the items I NEED. There is no reason to spread all of my equipment everywhere. Once I'm done everything besides my sleeping gear goes back into my pack. Then I either place the pack on a hook, against the wall near my feet, or under my lower legs.

I have found that when arriving at a shelter, I will place ONLY my pad on the floor to "reserve' a spot. Maybe change some clothes, and eat. Everything stays in pack that is not being used at the time. Sleep stuff does not come out until I'm ready to lay down. You never no whats going to happen or walk in between the time you get there and the time you want to lay down. Sometimes you might just wanna stick your pad back on your pack and move on...

RED-DOG
09-19-2014, 11:17
the Absolute worst thing a person can do is scatter their gear all over the shelter floor.

squeezebox
09-19-2014, 11:49
Well Red-Dog I'm drying out my stuff !! I need the room, maybe the whole shelter, and maybe I have a gun !!
(sarcasm meant)

rhjanes
09-19-2014, 12:20
take a few steps and look back. If you are with someone, perhaps both do a quick "I got this and this" out loud.
If you are a hammock hanger, always look UP the trees you were at to make sure you got your tree straps. Look at the ground where your tarp was to make sure nothing is laying there. Look at the base of the two trees for stuff also.
Better take an extra minute to look around. Make it a habit.

RED-DOG
09-19-2014, 12:25
Well Red-Dog I'm drying out my stuff !! I need the room, maybe the whole shelter, and maybe I have a gun !!
(sarcasm meant)
these kinds of comments is what gives hikers a bad reputation, Just another reason to use my tent.
you ever heard of a thing called a clothes line their easy to rig. and it doesn't matter if you got a gun if I need to use the shelter I will push your gear over.
you ever heard of a thing called sharing and showing respect to others.

Old_Man
09-19-2014, 19:00
I could see using a shelter for eating some breakfast/lunch/dinner or maybe to get out of the rain for a few minutes and rest but I can safely say I have no desire to sleep in one. Between the hantavirus, the stinky hikers, the gear-hungry rodents, and the general tension of a bunch of strangers in a small place, sounds like the exact opposite of what I'm hoping to get out of my hike.

W/R/T leaving stuff behind, I'm meticulous about doing a survey of an area before leaving, even if I've only stopped for a minute. I usually start my hike very organized but that organization begins to break down the further out I get. Still haven't left anything behind but I once was hiking with my dad and he left his prized walking stick behind. We ended up going back to get it and hiking about six miles in the dark with naught but the moon and stars to guide.

Del Q
09-19-2014, 19:46
After last years experience with the norovirus (fortunately did NOT get it), I am done with shelters unless mandatory (ie blizzard after Max Patch - still wish that I had tented)...........I do not want much ever touching the shelter floor.

Agree on putting down something and putting food bag, etc on top of that...........

Stuff sacks work for me, sock bag, food bag, etc, etc..........also try to have my pack pretty well ready to roll in the morning before I go to sleep.

Havana
09-21-2014, 14:30
Stake out your sleeping bag sized space and don't stray from it. :) As far as staying organized, I've been using a few of the Sea to Summit ultra mesh bags. They're incredibly light and you can see what's in them. I'm concerned about how well they'll hold up to long term use but since they were only $12. That said, I also use a few gallon-sized zip locks. :)

QiWiz
09-21-2014, 17:02
A solution that worked for me was to use my pack cover with it's elastic bungee cord rim as a "basket" to keep my stuff in that I unpacked from my pack in a shelter.

09-21-2014, 19:39
So many folks use the same gear it is easy to see an exact bag your are using over and over. I have not had much trouble in shelters but at the picnic table I have seen a lot, 4 sporks, 3 long sea to summit spoons, 4 pocket rockets in the red case. Someone who is done starts grabbing all their stuff and not thinking puts in 2 of something. Then some one says where is my ?? please check to see if you picked it up you had one just like mine. Solution, mark your stuff, a tiny red thread on your spoon, a initial on your msr can, same on your bag. U know how many blue and red bags are hanging from the cables at Gooch mt shelter? It is raining now they all look the same. So next evening your open your food bag only to find out OH no this is not my food, WHO HAS mine, or Who's food do I have? Do you know what your fod bag looks like wet?

Malto
09-21-2014, 20:04
While I have only stayed in shelters with one other person so gear explosion wasn't an issue. But here's a couple of keys that make losing gear a bit less likely.
1) Take less stuff.
2) Use most of your gear as part of your sleep system. About the only gear that isn't used in my kit is my cook set. Makes misplaced gear less likely.
3) Establish a standard organization strategy. Keep everything in its place.

as far as leaving stuff during breaks, I started buying bright colored lighters and paint tent stakes and similar items red to make it easier to see. Also, on long duration hikes, I keep two food bags. one at the bottom with food for the out days and what I call a day bag with today food stored at the top of the pack. It keeps me from having to dig through my pack at breaks. One final thing, I have everything that I might need for the day in pouches on my hipbelt. the only time I usually get in my pack is lunch to refill food and eat lunch.

RangerZ
09-21-2014, 20:49
Take it out put it back.

I've always painted my tent stakes dayglo orange. One time I turned around when leaving and saw my brown MRE spoon on the ground, now the last inch of it is orange.

daddytwosticks
09-22-2014, 07:14
A solution that worked for me was to use my pack cover with it's elastic bungee cord rim as a "basket" to keep my stuff in that I unpacked from my pack in a shelter.

That's a great idea! When I carry a pack cover, I've often wondered how to get dual use out of that item. :)

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
09-29-2014, 16:31
Take it out put it back.

I've always painted my tent stakes dayglo orange. One time I turned around when leaving and saw my brown MRE spoon on the ground, now the last inch of it is orange.

Nice idea RZ. Packing up my campsite this weekend I realized how easy leaving my spork behind would be because it blends in with the ground so well. Neon paint, here I come!!