PDA

View Full Version : Shuttle recs and cost from Fontana dam to Winding stars gap or Rock Gap mid late oct?

saltysack
09-17-2014, 11:18
I'm planning to do the section between winding stair gap and fontana dam mid late October. Any shuttle recs? If do how much as would like to drop my truck at fontana dam area....anyone want to split shuttle costs? Hoping to catch leaves changing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AO2134
09-17-2014, 11:40
Hey. I also have a planned hike in October mid October. I plan to end at Fontana Dam and start at Wayah Bald. It is possible we can self-shuttle. As I finalize my schedule, I will see if our schedules work out.

I will do my 46 miles in 3 days over an extended weekend, starting at Wayah Bald hiking to car at Fontana Dam hopefully.

Gambit McCrae
09-17-2014, 11:47
Jeff and Nancy Hoch own the Hiker Inn right outside of stecoah gap. jeff is about as good of a shuttler as they come. Reasonable and proffessional.

On a side note, I really miss the NOC, its a great little town. I walked from Wayah to Noc in a day (17-19 miles a believe) And that left time for a beer abd burger at the "trail left by bridge" establishment. Great burger! The climb up out of NOC along with the prior climb up jacobs ladder are no joke

sassafras shelter is nice and should have water
Brown fork gap shelter has a pesky cat (in april it did)
cable gap shelter has an excellent stream right in front of it and i believe some tenting areas

flemdawg1
09-17-2014, 11:47
Hike Inn
http://www.thehikeinn.com/

saltysack
09-17-2014, 11:54
Hey. I also have a planned hike in October mid October. I plan to end at Fontana Dam and start at Wayah Bald. It is possible we can self-shuttle. As I finalize my schedule, I will see if our schedules work out.

I will do my 46 miles in 3 days over an extended weekend, starting at Wayah Bald hiking to car at Fontana Dam hopefully.

Keep in touch...sounds good..I'm planning on 4 days 60miles from wsg

AO2134
09-17-2014, 12:01
Anyone know about overnight parking at Fontana Dam? Safe?

My AT guide shows parking at Dam Visitor Center and NC 28.Overnight allowed? safe for 2 nights 3 days?

Gambit McCrae
09-17-2014, 12:03
Anyone know about overnight parking at Fontana Dam? Safe?

My AT guide shows parking at Dam Visitor Center and NC 28.Overnight allowed? safe for 2 nights 3 days?

iT IS WELL LIT, AND SAFE PARKED THERE MANY TIMES (2 OR 3 THAT IS)

flemdawg1
09-17-2014, 12:18
Parked there for over a week last year, very safe, patrolled. Good free hot Showers and gift shop with cold drinks for when you finish.

TNhiker
09-17-2014, 14:42
ive parked at the dam or the end of the road or at the marina quite a bit over the last decade and have never had a problem....

saltysack
09-17-2014, 16:40
Hike Inn
http://www.thehikeinn.com/

Thx... Spoke to her... Very nice and reasonable...

Captain Bluebird
09-18-2014, 16:42
I left my 4 Runner at Fontana Dam for three days in July without any problems. Three of my sons and I hiked from the Dam to the NOC. Our shuttle service told me that the dam is closely watched day and night as it is a national security concern. I am glad I parked the car at the dam as on our return back via the shuttle, the road across the dam was closed.

The shuttle service we used is called Gene's Shuttle Service. 828-479-7457. Gene charged us $50 for the 40 mile shuttle back to the dam. As a fair warning, Gene is 82 or 83 years of age, drives his van with one hand and spits out the window as he shares his stories of growing up in the dam area BEFORE the dam was constructed. He has family buried on land that can only be reached by boat, and the gov't ferries family members over to the cemetery every two weeks... free. Part of the dam agreement.

I enjoyed his stories. But my boys got a kick how Gene drove the van, fast, like a teenager!

Sent from my Surface with Windows RT using Tapatalk

saltysack
09-18-2014, 17:11
A blue hair that drives fast!! Funny...hike inn wants $95 back to wsg which is 2x as far seems fair...

Wild Blue
09-18-2014, 20:15
I just completed Neel Gap to Fontana Dam yesterday. I stayed at The Hike Inn, left my car with them, Jeff shuttled me to Neels, and picked me up at the dam. Jeff and Nancy were very nice, encouraging, and had a wealth of information to share. I recommend them. Otherwise the dam looked like a safe place to leave a vehicle.

saltysack
09-18-2014, 21:11
I just completed Neel Gap to Fontana Dam yesterday. I stayed at The Hike Inn, left my car with them, Jeff shuttled me to Neels, and picked me up at the dam. Jeff and Nancy were very nice, encouraging, and had a wealth of information to share. I recommend them. Otherwise the dam looked like a safe place to leave a vehicle.
Thx how was the temps at night 45-50?

Wild Blue
09-18-2014, 22:38
I don't think it was even that cold. Only on the last day did the temp and humidity drop, hopefully they will stay lower. During my nine day trip the challenge was to stay cool (and dry) not warm. More summer like than fall like. I had an excellent time though and can't wait for the next section whenever that will be.

SoFlo
09-29-2014, 22:00

Hey AO2134, do you have shuttle plans? I'm doing the same section in mid Oct too. Staying at Hike Inn on a Friday, getting a shuttle to Wayah Bald Saturday. Hike Inn picks up at the dam if you stay with them. Would be glad to share a shuttle/cost to Wayah.

saltysack
09-30-2014, 07:45
When are y'all planning to start and finish?

joshuasdad
09-30-2014, 08:25
Very safe at the Fontana Dam visitor center, just park in the upper lot (above the level of the visitor center and SHOWERS!). I left my car there a couple weeks with no problem. Love the ORIGINAL Hike Inn (have not stayed at the imitator in Georgia). Be sure to buy some of Nancy's homemade salsa--worth every penny of the $5 per jar.

saltysack
09-30-2014, 08:36
Thx Jd...plan to do Glassmine Gap to fontana in few weeks ...hoping to complete in 4 days...should be a good challenge...any idea how late in season showers are open?

MockingJay
09-30-2014, 10:08
I'm planning a trip from NOC to Fontana in the very near future. Talked to The Hike Inn the other day and they charge $50 for two from Fontana to NOC. They said you should get your shuttle reservation in now if you're going to need one anytime in the next 4-6 weeks. Based on what ya'll are saying that seems reasonable although we may just have nearby family do the drop off/pick up. Lots of good info from these threads and sounds like there will be a few folks on that section of the trail at about the same time.

MockingJay
09-30-2014, 10:11

WildBlue, can you give us all an update on the water over that section...particularly NOC to Fontana.

Thanks,

saltysack
09-30-2014, 10:47
Mj when u going ?

10-K
09-30-2014, 12:50
Around October 21st my wife and I are parking at the dam and getting shuttled to Springer - hope to see some of you out there!

MockingJay
09-30-2014, 12:59
Mj when u going ?

Probably weekend of the 11th.

blue indian
09-30-2014, 20:23
+ 1 on the Hike Inn. Nice folks. I think my shuttle from the dam to winding stair gap was around $90....but it was just me.

saltysack
09-30-2014, 20:52
+ 1 on the Hike Inn. Nice folks. I think my shuttle from the dam to winding stair gap was around $90....but it was just me.

How was the hike from wsg to fontana? I'm planing on starting at glassmine gap about 8 miles farther south...doable in 4 days?

July
09-30-2014, 20:54
Thumbsup on Hike Inn, also another option... http://www.thecabininthewoods.com/index.html. Super chill place to stay and also does shuttles.

MuddyWaters
09-30-2014, 21:48
How was the hike from wsg to fontana? I'm planing on starting at glassmine gap about 8 miles farther south...doable in 4 days?
When I took my 15 yr old son to do this in the spring we did 3.5 days, he was a little beat after the 18 mile day over cheoah though.

I can vouch for Jeff to shuttle too. Get him to stop in franklin to eat breakfast at gas station/deli.

saltysack
09-30-2014, 21:54
Thx mw.. I'll be getting late start on day 1... Wanted to have shuttle stop at outdoor 76 in franklin as planned to get a new tent/tarp set up...thinking about getting the solong6...Prob be 2 by time I get on trail so will be night hiking first night for sure...

MkBibble
10-01-2014, 17:40
I have never experienced the Hike Inn; I have heard that they are great people. But, you can't have a discussion about the AT and Franklin without including Ron Haven. He has been a great hiker asset for many years. You can find most of his info here:

http://www.ronhavenhikerservices.com

10-K
10-01-2014, 17:58
My wife and I are leaving Fontana Dam at 6:30 on the 21st, dropped off at Springer - should be on the trail before 10:00 AM.

This is going to be a very interesting hike... I generally hike 25ish mile days. She hikes 12-15 - so I'm going to have to really put the brakes on. It'll be our longest hike together.

Bringing the Kindle and a deck of cards for sure. :)

Wild Blue
10-01-2014, 20:07
Mocking Jay, anyone else interested.

Here is my reply to a PM I got earlier asking about water between Deep Gap and the Dam.

I had no issues with water on any section. In fact it was falling freely from the sky quite often. Seriously though I carried the pocket profile strip maps from anti-gravity gear and I don't remember any indicated water sources being dry. I left every overnight location with my hydration bladder full, 1.7 liters and sometimes added a second liter in a side pocket but rarely actually used it, but I'd rather carry extra than run dry. I was also told that the shelter locations were in part determined by reliable water so I tended to plan around and fill up at shelters.

From Deep Gap to Wayah Bald specifically here is what I remember. I stayed at Standing Indian Shelter, 1 mile past deep gap, and there was a nice flowing stream/creek at the shelter. I don't remember a lot of water between Standing Indian and Carter Gap shelter, 8ish miles, but there was water at Carter Gap so make sure you get some there to get you up Albert Mtn which is an awesome climb with some rock scrambling at the end. I had enough water from Carter Gap to get over Albert to Long Branch shelter, where I camped, which had a stream as well. Left Long Branch with lots of water and just north of Wallace Gap and Winding Stair Gap there are streams but the last 2-3 miles before the Wayah Bald lookout tower and then the mile to the Wayah shelter where relatively dry. Good spring at the Wayah Bald shelter though where I camped. I left Wayah Bald and refilled a liter at Cold Spring shelter. That was enough to get to the NOC where I spent the night. Lots of water and food and craft beer there. Long climb out of the NOC but there was water at the Sassafras Gap shelter which took me to Brown Fork Gap whet there was an ok spring. Camped at Brown Fork and them I passed over lots of springs and small streams on the last day on the way to the dam

Have a great trip. Significant climbs, for me, were Albert Mountain, up to the Wyah tower, out of the NOC, and about a mile past Stecoah Gap which seemed to run straight up. Also be careful on the descents into the NOC and down to the marina. Highlights were the towers at Albert, Wayah, and Wesser Bald, plus Cheoh Bald was impressive. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Pete, "Wild Blue"

blue indian
10-01-2014, 21:33

This was probably my favorite section that Ive hiked on the AT....

62.5 miles in 4 days through this section seems ambitious to me. But I dont know anything about your hiking style or what kind of shape youre in... I wouldnt want to rush through this section....But I guess if you only had 4 days and wanted to do 15 + mile days then go for it.

I did it in about 5.5 days

saltysack
10-01-2014, 21:51
Thx for all info wb & bi... I'm in pretty good shape so not to concerned but up for a challenge.. Looking forward to it...I hike mostly solo w my dog so would rather be hiking than sitting at camp. I enjoy night hiking and will be doing some on this trip as will not start at glassmine Gap till around 2pm. Monday by the time I'm shuttled back...

blue indian
10-01-2014, 22:22
Cheoah bald is a special place. I would camp up there if I were you..

saltysack
10-02-2014, 06:18

I hear that only problem leaves me around 21 miles for last day...I may stop eat dinner there watch the sun set then push on another 3-6 miles....u recall any flat open sites for a tarp lil past cheoah bald?

saltysack
10-02-2014, 07:28

U a WSP junkie?

MkBibble
10-02-2014, 10:17
Room at Locust Cove (2.3 miles); I know there is room right next to the trail, maybe some down the side trail toward the water as well. Trail was somewhat rough and over grown just before that when I was there in June '12.

saltysack
10-02-2014, 10:19
Thx

blue indian
10-02-2014, 12:26
I hear that only problem leaves me around 21 miles for last day...I may stop eat dinner there watch the sun set then push on another 3-6 miles....u recall any flat open sites for a tarp lil past cheoah bald?

+1 on locust cove gap. Its a nice little spot with a few flat spots plus a piped water source.

Ive camped on Cheoah 2 times and both times produced some of the most amazing sunsets Ive witnessed. The sun sets over the smokies and its just intense. Grade A stuff.

blue indian
10-02-2014, 12:27
U a WSP junkie?

Haha. Yes indeed. Leaving for a 2 night run in Charleston today..

saltysack
10-02-2014, 12:28
I'm supposed to go Sunday here on st aug....seen many times...in charleston last year

saltysack
10-02-2014, 12:32
I'm thinking I'll stop for dinner watch sunset at cheoah then press on to get a few more miles...camp. If I camp night before in vicinity of wesser shelter cheoah would be around 14 mil...not far but after climb in and out NOC I might be spent ..

blue indian
10-02-2014, 12:52
I'm thinking I'll stop for dinner watch sunset at cheoah then press on to get a few more miles...camp. If I camp night before in vicinity of wesser shelter cheoah would be around 14 mil...not far but after climb in and out NOC I might be spent ..

That sounds feasible. The climb out of the NOC is legit. There are a few places to stop and rest on the way up though, the "jump up" being one of
them.

Make sure you stop and get water at sassafras gap shelter before heading up to the bald...

MuddyWaters
10-04-2014, 15:32
If you want to camp at Cheoah, get there early. You probably wont be the only one with that bright idea. Ive been there twice, and both times there was a tent set up in the early afternoon already.

saltysack
10-04-2014, 16:22
If you want to camp at Cheoah, get there early. You probably wont be the only one with that bright idea. Ive been there twice, and both times there was a tent set up in the early afternoon already.

It well be a wed night...at that point it will be just under a 15 mpd after into NOC, eat bfast rest then up to cheoah bald ...would like to get few more miles to cut some off the next/last day....21 miles...