PDA

View Full Version : Tarptent Double Rainbow or Six Moons Lunar Duo?

BrianOH72
09-17-2014, 22:15
I'm going to start section hiking the AT in 2015 and would like some input on the Double Rainbow and Lunar Duo from anyone who's used them. Any input or advice on the pros and cons would be greatly appreciated.

Rocket Jones
09-18-2014, 05:54
I've got the DR and love it. You won't go wrong with either.

10-K
09-18-2014, 06:34
The Rainbow will almost certainly be easier to pitch than the Lunar Duo. I've got a Lunar Duo and setting it up to get a really good pitch takes some practice.

I've got a solo Rainbow and have seen several Double Rainbows and the Lunar Duo has more room - it's a huge 2 person tent.

bigcranky
09-18-2014, 06:39
Had the Double Rainbow and sold it for a Lunar Duo. The DR is fine, it's a nice tent, but the interior volume is very tight due to the sloping walls. The Lunar Duo is just amazing. After a couple of times, pitching it is not an issue.

This web site will show you the volume difference pretty well (http://hikeitlikeit.com/2011/tale-of-three-duos/).

Gambit McCrae
09-18-2014, 09:47
I am a tarptent fan, although I followed a vlog this summer of a thru hiker who seemd quite pleased with his sixmoons. I know that my tarptent takes about 3 minutes to setup and as far as quality I appreciate it because it is simple, tough, doesnt scimp on anything but doesnt bulk the weight up either. Now that Henry has a tunnel tent I would really like to try it

mankind117
09-18-2014, 09:57
I would say neither. Go with the tarptent stratospire 2 if you want a 2 person trekking pole supported shelter. It is as big as the lunar duo, same weight but has the advantage of being double walled. The tarptent double rainbow feels significantly less roomy because the width of the ceiling is narrower than the floor and once again is single walled as well as the same weight as the stratospire 2.

10-K
09-18-2014, 10:01
The Lunar Duo is just amazing. After a couple of times, pitching it is not an issue.

This web site will show you the volume difference pretty well (http://hikeitlikeit.com/2011/tale-of-three-duos/).

I think this is generally true - pitching it isn't hard.

If you've ever watched someone pitch a Duo (or Solo for that matter) and then watched someone pitch a Rainbow I think you'd agree that the Rainbow is more straightforward. A lot less walking around and around the tent tweaking after it's up for sure.

When I was hiking the AT in Maine at Whitehouse Landing I watched a guy pitch his Duo and afterwards we were sitting around and I asked him if he was happy with the way it looked. He said he was and I asked him if I could show him a few tricks I learned pitching mine. He said OK so I took his Duo completely down, put it back up and he said, "Wow, that's a lot better."

Gambit McCrae
09-18-2014, 11:09
I would say neither. Go with the tarptent stratospire 2 if you want a 2 person trekking pole supported shelter. It is as big as the lunar duo, same weight but has the advantage of being double walled. The tarptent double rainbow feels significantly less roomy because the width of the ceiling is narrower than the floor and once again is single walled as well as the same weight as the stratospire 2.

I agree, I use the strato 2 and have no complaints. I have had ZERO issues after using it Heavily from a section hiker POV

cbr6fs
09-18-2014, 19:48
Another strato 2 owner here, very happy with the tent, roomy for 2+ dog, light weight, stable and reliable