PDA

View Full Version : Advice for belly sleeper in cold weather

OnThePath
09-18-2014, 08:39
Wasn't sure how to title this post :-?. I usually start sleeping on my side, but end up on my stomach. Not sure if you lose more body heat through the ground this way? My cousin and I are getting on the trail in early march. I have a decent sleeping pad and a 15 degree sleeping bag. I was thinking of getting a bag liner and sleeping on it instead of in it. Are there any belly sleepers out there that have any advice? Thanks

Coffee
09-18-2014, 08:55
This may not be very good advice, but I'm naturally a belly sleeper but adapt myself to sleep on my side or back when I'm on the trail. I've found that gear seems to be optimized for side or back sleepers and stomach sleeping seems quite unnatural. Also, sleeping with my knees against the pad can lead to discomfort. I find that both my bag and my Exped UL pillow work better when I'm on my back or side. So I trained myself to do so. One important factor is that I'm usually tired at the end of the day and would be able to sleep in any position. When I return to a normal bed, I go back to my preferred way of sleeping.

bangorme
09-18-2014, 09:47
I think almost all gear is aimed at back sleepers. It's a long process to learn how to turn over and keep the zipper on your side (I'm a side sleeper). When I broke my ribs in college, I had to learn how to sleep on my back. I usually START this way on the trail, and it tends to make my back decompress.

But, back to your question, it does seem, from a scientific point of view, that you would lose more energy, through conduction, sleeping on your stomach. The side is less surface area, and the back has a layer of insulating fat. Also, how do you use the hood sleeping on your stomach????? If you are keeping it on, some sleeping bags are insulated differently on the top and bottom.

OnThePath
09-18-2014, 10:41
I have always had trouble sleeping in general. I toss and turn a lot. I use the hood in the winter. The problem is that I probably create a lot of moisture in my bag from not breathing through the hole. I am thinking of maybe putting something in front of me to keep me from rolling onto my stomach. It will be a little extra insulation anyways right.:) Thanks for the responses. I know its kind of a goofy question.

ralph23
09-19-2014, 11:28
I am also a belly sleeper and generally do not sleep well on the trail at all. Recently I have been using a Neoair for insulation underneath and unzipping the bag except around my feet. This allows me to toss and turn while still keeping warm. I have yet to try this setup in sub 40 degree temps though. The eventual solution is to get out of the habit of belly sleeping. It's torture for our spine.

Alligator
09-19-2014, 13:10
Wasn't sure how to title this post :-?. I usually start sleeping on my side, but end up on my stomach. Not sure if you lose more body heat through the ground this way? My cousin and I are getting on the trail in early march. I have a decent sleeping pad and a 15 degree sleeping bag. I was thinking of getting a bag liner and sleeping on it instead of in it. Are there any belly sleepers out there that have any advice? ThanksHat, neck gaiter, fleece gloves. Make sure your bag has a chest baffle. Work on side sleeping. Flip your whole bag over, cinch the hood some but keep face out some, a pillow helps with this. I get a little claustrophobic with a narrow bag cinched up to where I can't grab the zipper quickly, so I am resolved to go the hat route and sacrifice some warmth. A balaclava is also an option although I dislike when that spins around on my face in the middle of the night.

I think almost all gear is aimed at back sleepers. It's a long process to learn how to turn over and keep the zipper on your side (I'm a side sleeper). When I broke my ribs in college, I had to learn how to sleep on my back. I usually START this way on the trail, and it tends to make my back decompress.

But, back to your question, it does seem, from a scientific point of view, that you would lose more energy, through conduction, sleeping on your stomach. The side is less surface area, and the back has a layer of insulating fat. Also, how do you use the hood sleeping on your stomach????? If you are keeping it on, some sleeping bags are insulated differently on the top and bottom.Just following the news but there are lots of folks with more than sufficient front padding these days have to wonder whether that hypothesis holds.

KillerKarma
09-24-2014, 12:17
I don't seem to have an issue sleeping on my stomach in a mummy bag. With my face turned to the side I can breath fine. The only thing is I need a little extra length since I like to sleep with my arms folded under my head and it takes up a few more inches. I'm pretty sure I'm an exception though. I did see some bags that are geared more toward side sleepers as opposed to back sleepers, but haven't seen anything meant for belly sleepers.

KillerKarma
09-24-2014, 12:17
PS I don't feel a difference in temp when on my belly vs my back/side.

Ktaadn
09-24-2014, 13:03
At home, I sleep on my side. I also try to do this in my tent, but it is difficult if I don't have enough extra clothing to make a decent pillow. In this case, I will sometimes end up sleeping on my chest. I don't think one position is warmer than the other as long as I don't lose much heat while rolling around.

My long term advice is, don't sleep on your chest! It is really not a healthy position for your neck. As I said, I still do it sometimes though. Ugh

Snowleopard
09-24-2014, 14:12
For everybody in cold weather: get a better insulated sleeping pad/mattress or add a foam pad under you. Everybody needs more insulation under you when it gets cold. The standard in New England used to be a thermarest mattress PLUS a good foam pad. It's nicer/lighter to use a good winter pad, like a thermarest xtherm.

If you can't keep the bag's hood positioned on your head as you toss and turn, get a down hood for winter, or good fleece hat for cold temps. Try not to breath into your insulation (damp insulation loses insulation and is cold).

Appbrookie
09-29-2014, 18:19
Big Agnes Lost Ranger sleeping bag w/ the built-in BA Q Core integrated pad. A little heavier but well worth it. I'm 5'10 235 lbs and I have plenty of roll-around room, no way i can sleep on my back, have to sleep on stomach or side. The lost ranger is rated for +15, i also have the BA Cross Mtn(+40) which fits over the entire lost ranger/pad and drops the temp rating down another 15-20 degrees. I sleep like a baby in this system.