PDA

View Full Version : Best coffee-hot chocolate recipe.. Mocha!!

saltysack
09-18-2014, 09:11
Looking for a new good mocha recipe... I'm a coffee snob.. Have been mixing a packet of 4 bux via with a packet of hot chocolate...curious if anything better??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CalebJ
09-18-2014, 09:30
Have you tried the coffee concentrate? I have not, but some of the feedback is good. If you can get access to it, it's worth testing. Some people love using a french press on the trail, but I find them to not be worth the fiddle factor (at home they're fantastic, on the other hand). An Aeropress is my next stop.

CalebJ
09-18-2014, 09:31
Here's some info on DIY concentrate:
http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-coffee-concentrate-to-serve-hot-coffee-to-a-crowd-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-187198

Coffee
09-18-2014, 09:32
I use Via French or Italian exclusively when I drink coffee on the trail. However, when I want to drink "mocha", I go cheap on the coffee and go with instant mixed with a packet of Swiss Miss. I find that the quality of the coffee in a "trail" mocha isn't all that important for me. Despite my trail name, I'm not really a coffee snob, but I am a hard core caffeine addict.

saltysack
09-18-2014, 09:43
I use Via French or Italian exclusively when I drink coffee on the trail. However, when I want to drink "mocha", I go cheap on the coffee and go with instant mixed with a packet of Swiss Miss. I find that the quality of the coffee in a "trail" mocha isn't all that important for me. Despite my trail name, I'm not really a coffee snob, but I am a hard core caffeine addict.

Yep...caffeine addict sums it up for me also...really only reason I carry my sp litemax stove..:can get by w cold good but love coffee in morn and afternoon!!

10-K
09-18-2014, 10:07
My breakfast a lot of mornings on the PCT was:

1 Starbucks Mocha (the big packets, 5 for $8 usually)
5 big spoons of instant coffee
2 hot chocolate packets
4 oatmeal packets.
As much splenda* as I could spare
As much powered milk as I could spare

Thick as a brick..... It was good at the time, it sounds pretty nasty right now! :)

* I carried Splenda instead of sugar because it is so much lighter. Sugar is *heavy*. Splenda is like.. air.

saltysack
09-18-2014, 10:12
My breakfast a lot of mornings on the PCT was:

1 Starbucks Mocha (the big packets, 5 for $8 usually)
5 big spoons of instant coffee
2 hot chocolate packets
4 oatmeal packets.
As much splenda* as I could spare
As much powered milk as I could spare

Thick as a brick..... It was good at the time, it sounds pretty nasty right now! :)

* I carried Splenda instead of sugar because it is so much lighter. Sugar is *heavy*. Splenda is like.. air.

Ha don't think I'll try this one!!

flemdawg1
09-18-2014, 11:41
I think the perfect one would have grated Abuelita (Mexican Cocoa blocks), Nido and
Medaglia D'Oro (http://www.totallynawlins.com/Medaglia-DOro-Instant-Espresso-2oz-jars_p_109.html).

I simply use my French Press for good, strong black coffee. Simply rinse the grounds out to clean (not too fastidious on the trail).

mattjv89
09-18-2014, 11:43
I haven't found anything better than Via and hot chocolate. I've been using the carnation instant breakfast packets for the chocolate side, who knows if the vitamins and calcium actually do anything but I sure like the idea that they do. Now I've had an awful time finding the Via packets lately, it seems that grocery stores across Rutland county have an embargo on them. I just picked up these new liquid packets from "Barney's Coffee Kitchen," there's a small amount of liquid weight associated but they're still only a 1/3 ounce each or so. To completely judge a book by it's cover they look good, I'll see how the taste stacks up to Via this weekend.

saltysack
09-18-2014, 11:49
I haven't found anything better than Via and hot chocolate. I've been using the carnation instant breakfast packets for the chocolate side, who knows if the vitamins and calcium actually do anything but I sure like the idea that they do. Now I've had an awful time finding the Via packets lately, it seems that grocery stores across Rutland county have an embargo on them. I just picked up these new liquid packets from "Barney's Coffee Kitchen," there's a small amount of liquid weight associated but they're still only a 1/3 ounce each or so. To completely judge a book by it's cover they look good, I'll see how the taste stacks up to Via this weekend.

Let me know about turnout...I'll try instant breakfast..good idea. Also have used this with good results...may try to use instant http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/18/63c4509918def6e36c56983bcdcf6b6e.jpgcafe bustello expresso instead of reg coffee

Coffee
09-18-2014, 11:50
It is cheaper to order Via from Amazon. I've been able to get 50-count packages for between $30-35. At under 70 cents per serving, it is hardly cheap but not as ridiculous as paying full retail. I used to make fun of people who purchased Via but really there are no competitors. Most instant coffee is just awful. That's why when I'm stuck with instant (other than via), I doctor it up with Swiss Miss hot chocolate to make it drinkable.

saltysack
09-18-2014, 11:56
I really like Cuban coffee(expresso) so I hope the instant is as good as regular.

RED-DOG
09-18-2014, 12:28
Add Hershys chocolate to it, I even seen people put Jello in coffee.

scudder
09-23-2014, 15:58
I've been experimenting with bringing along a Bialetti Moka Express single shot expresso maker . It's essentially a 3 inch cylinder that is 5 inches tall. Weight penalty= @10 oz for daily shots of the good stuff. I think it's a keeper!

CalebJ
09-23-2014, 16:03
Scudder, it won't save more than a few ounces, but GSI makes some backpacking oriented Moka pots like this (http://gsioutdoors.com/products/pdp/1_cup_aluminum_mini_expresso) one.

saltysack
09-23-2014, 16:15
I love expresso but think ill stick w instant coffee/via....that old saying less is better..

mattjv89
09-23-2014, 17:34
Let me know about turnout...I'll try instant breakfast..good idea.

Tried the Barney's this weekend and I was quite pleased. A little messier than Via, seems tough to not get some concentrated coffee juice on your fingers when opening the packet but that's no big deal. I mixed it with carnation so can't comment on the standalone taste but there was definitely a good coffee flavor coming through, not the pot of coffee scorched for 6 hours flavor that I associate with most of the instant stuff. I don't know how available they are, just came to the Hannaford's near me. I'm also thinking they are a little cheaper than Via though I couldn't be sure without going back.

saltysack
09-23-2014, 17:44
Thx I'll try in few weeks... If I can find...

ChuckT
09-23-2014, 17:50
Strong coffee, starbucks, barney's, does 2 things to me - gets me wound up and burns a hole right through. I'll take a milder blend anyday.

swisscross
09-23-2014, 17:56
I dislike Starbucks coffee. Their coffee tastes burned to me. I think they over roast their beans.

Yet I tried Via this past weekend. Columbian medium and now have my new coffee for trips. Much better than their brewed coffee.

swjohnsey
09-23-2014, 18:11
From Ranger school, 1 coffee packet, 1 cocoa packet, sugar packet, creamer packet, yum! On the trail I brew up cowboy coffee (1/4 c ground coffee, 1/4 c sugar) and throw in a hot chocolate packet.

Just Bill
09-23-2014, 19:31
Latest experiment-
One rounded teaspoon each- instant coffee (I use crappy/cheap Aldi brand), 100% Cacao Hershey Dark powder, brown sugar
To taste- (about a 1/4 teaspoon) Allspice, Cinnamon, and something spicy (I like smoked paprika).
Mix with 16-20 ounces of water depending on the strength you want. Tastes better if you add cold and heat all of it together.

The Cacao and spices won't exactly dissolve, so stir frequently even as you drink. Makes one good serving, but easy two cups if you wanted to split it.
Yummy, especially with a splash of Knob Creek.

rocketsocks
09-23-2014, 19:48
That combination chocolate and chilis is a winner combo in my book, for a few years now I've been getting a dark chocolate with chili peppers candy bar as a stocking stuffer...good stuff. In fact bought these as an impulse buy at the REI check out...pretty tasty!

not the kinda thing you wanna monge on...it's fancy Chocolates! :cool:;)

Just Bill
09-23-2014, 20:19
That combination chocolate and chilis is a winner combo in my book, for a few years now I've been getting a dark chocolate with chili peppers candy bar as a stocking stuffer...good stuff. In fact bought these as an impulse buy at the REI check out...pretty tasty!

not the kinda thing you wanna monge on...it's fancy Chocolates! :cool:;)
Aldi sells a good brand, 70% cacao, orange, mint, and some other odd flavors like the chili pepper- good stuff for a few bucks!

saltysack
09-23-2014, 20:34
Sh$$ I thought I was going crazy w dark choc w sea salt! I'll have to try that....repackaged in a zip lock of course....:)