PDA

View Full Version : Hiking the "Balds" in NC or Southern VA

Sapelo
09-18-2014, 13:10
I have heard there are some balds along the AT in the northern section of NC and the southern section of VA. Can anyone give me a good two or three night route in that area that would enable us to camp at the top of one of these balds. I would like to keep the drive to the trail head from St. Simons Island, GA, to no more than 9 hours.

Gambit McCrae
09-18-2014, 13:57

The section you are speaking of is Hughes Gap to 19E (http://www.atdist.com/atdist?k1=DCK&k2=DI&h=5b40fcdd&year=2014). Although Most people hike from Carvers Gap to 19E, Doing so leaves out the great Roan Mountain, Cloudland site and neat chimney.

This is my favorite section and wish that alot more of the AT looked like this. It is a 14.8 mile section that traverses 5-7 Balds. These balds can be seen below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci7Fyo9BwpU

saltysack
09-18-2014, 14:03
My favorite is the 40 mile sobo into Damascus..MRO cheap shuttle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gambit McCrae
09-18-2014, 14:05
My favorite is the 40 mile sobo into Damascus..MRO cheap shuttle

Agreed, I dislike the Watauga damn to cross mountain section but I was miserable in December so thats prolly why lol

bigcranky
09-18-2014, 14:15
You can do a nice three day loop hike in the Mt Rogers National Recreation Area that includes a lot of open balds. Or hike from Fox Creek to Damascus in three days, and you'll hit most of them, plus some nice walking along a creek if you take the VA Creeper Trail for the last ten miles or so.

Get the National Geographic Mt Rogers NRA map and take a look at the large inset map showing the "high country." Lots of choices. Ask if you want specific advice for that area.

saltysack
09-18-2014, 14:26
Agreed, I dislike the Watauga damn to cross mountain section but I was miserable in December so thats prolly why lol

Was thinking about doing that section but after hearing that as well as a YouTube video...think I'll do wsg to fontana....looks more appealing to me...hard to best mt Rodgers, Grayson highlands and roan sections

Gambit McCrae
09-18-2014, 14:28
Was thinking about doing that section but after hearing that as well as a YouTube video...think I'll do wsg to fontana....looks more appealing to me...hard to best mt Rodgers, Grayson highlands and roan sections

Low water, wind burns, 14* nights, 12 mile night hike. Oh and haunted vendeventer shelter

TNhiker
09-18-2014, 14:43
Ask if you want specific advice for that area.

hey cranky-----im looking at doing a 2 nighter up in mount rogers area in the next few weeks...

can you suggest some routes?

thanks...

saltysack
09-18-2014, 14:57
You can do a nice three day loop hike in the Mt Rogers National Recreation Area that includes a lot of open balds. Or hike from Fox Creek to Damascus in three days, and you'll hit most of them, plus some nice walking along a creek if you take the VA Creeper Trail for the last ten miles or so.

Get the National Geographic Mt Rogers NRA map and take a look at the large inset map showing the "high country." Lots of choices. Ask if you want specific advice for that area.

Is it elk creek? Can't remember but shuttle was about $50...amazing 2-4 day 40 mile section back to your car in Damascus!! Plenary of balds and ponies...

johnnybgood
09-18-2014, 16:25
Is it elk creek? Can't remember but shuttle was about $50...amazing 2-4 day 40 mile section back to your car in Damascus!! Plenary of balds and ponies...

Maybe you're talking about either VA 600 /Elk Garden which is north of Damascus approx 25 miles or Elk Park , N.C , a good three day hike south of Damascus.

This is another option :

Last October I hiked Indian Grave Gap, N.C. nobo to 19 E -- Elk Park which is a scenic 40 mile stretch over the beauty spot , up Roan Mtn to Roan Bald , Janes Bald and over the humps.

Terry at Mountain Harbor at Elk Park can shuttle you.

Gambit McCrae
09-18-2014, 16:26
Maybe you're talking about either VA 600 /Elk Garden which is north of Damascus approx 25 miles or Elk Park , N.C , a good three day hike south of Damascus.

This is another option :

Last October I hiked Indian Grave Gap, N.C. nobo to 19 E -- Elk Park which is a scenic 40 mile stretch over the beauty spot , up Roan Mtn to Roan Bald , Janes Bald and over the humps.

Mountain Harbor mary and terry are great folks!

saltysack
09-18-2014, 16:32

This is another option :

It was a 40 mile hike southbound on AT back to Damascus....can't remember but really enjoyed it last October...I also did exact roan section u mentioned last February....also beautiful but cold........http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/18/718d05c65182ac59f5cd17e1350bfce2.jpg

swamp dawg
09-18-2014, 17:09
I enjoyed hiking from Standing Bear hostel and going over Max Patch then into Hot Spring. This is a fun scenic hike with lots of well maintained trail. The hike is within your driving requirements from SSI and shuttles are available. Life is good on the trail...........swamp dawg

bigcranky
09-18-2014, 21:12
Elk Garden is 24 miles north of Damascus. If you start there, you miss almost all the balds. Fox Creek is on VA 603 about 42 miles north of Damascus, and will get you over lots of balds.

TNhiker when I am back at my real computer I will dig out some recs I made to another hiker.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

saltysack
09-18-2014, 21:32
Fox creek it was.....603 yep!!! Started mid day Thursday finished mid day sat back to Damascus...awesome hike...my fav do far, plan to take my 8 yr old this Xmas break if weather not to brutal...spend 4 days doing it at his pace.

Sapelo
09-19-2014, 07:11
Thanks to all. Sounds like I need to get copy of the AT Guide for the sections mentioned. I was thinking of making nice easy days of hiking and sightseeing. No more than 10 miles each day - preferably down around 7 or 8. I will let you know what I decide.

bigcranky
09-19-2014, 08:34
hey cranky-----im looking at doing a 2 nighter up in mount rogers area in the next few weeks...

can you suggest some routes?

Sure. The safest place to park is in Grayson Highlands State Park, at Massey Gap in the Backpacker lot. There is a blue blaze trail that heads up to the AT from the parking lot.

If you have the National Geo Mt Rogers NRA map, there are several good loops. Depending on how many miles you want to hike:

1. Short: Hike the AT southbound up Wilburn Ridge toward Rhododendron Gap, keep going to Thomas Knob Shelter and then take the spur to the summit of Mt. Rogers. The come back down to the shelter and tent somewhere between the shelter and Rhododendron Gap (plenty of good tentsites in that stretch, water in the corral behind the shelter, and a privy. Don't tent right at the shelter, though.) The second day go back to Rhodo Gap and take the Pine Mountain Trail across the ridgeline of Pine Mountain, where it will connect with the AT. Hang a right on the AT (sobo again), hike down to Scales then over the Stone Mountain ridgeline, then down to Wise Shelter. There is a good spring and a privy here. To camp, walk 1/4 mile back the way you came on the AT across the fence and the first bridge, then look left along the big creek for one of many fine campsites. The third day it's a 2+ mile walk back up to Massey Gap and your car. Total about 15-16 miles. Makes a decent 2 night trip including driving there and back. Hit Damascus for second breakfast on the way home.

2. Longer: Hike southbound on the AT up Wilburn Ridge, past Rhododendron Gap, and keep going to Deep Gap, where you'll turn right on the Mt Rogers National Scenic Trail. Head down to VA 603 then up the other side to the Iron Mountain Trail. Turn right on the IMT for a couple of miles until you hit the AT again, where you will turn right (sobo) and head back down to VA 603, up to Pine Mountain, and continue around to your car. (This is reasonably obvious on the NG map.) About 24 miles, and more strenuous - lots of solid climbs and descents.

3. Longest: Park in Damascus and get a ride to VA 603 (Fox Creek) trailhead. Hike south on the AT 42 miles back to Damascus. You'll hit all the balds in the first two days, then walk through some lovely creeks and woods. This is a long 3 or short 4 day hike. I do prefer to take the Creeper Trail into Damascus for the last ten miles or so, as it's a much more pleasant walk.

Hope this helps.

LittleRock
09-19-2014, 10:28
Couple of other "balds" that haven't been mentioned yet:

Big Bald between (south of Erwin)

Beauty Spot (north of Erwin)