PDA

View Full Version : Pepto vs. Imodium

CynJ
10-13-2005, 09:35
I've been told (before I went to Mexico by someone I trust who has done a lot of world traveling) that you should carry Pepto instead of Imodium.

Reason being is that Imodium, while it does stop the symptoms fast, doesn't actually get rid of the intestinal bug itself. Pepto, although slower acting, actually kills the intestinal bug.

Anyone know if this is accurate?

Jaybird
10-13-2005, 09:39
I've been told (before I went to Mexico by someone I trust who has done a lot of world traveling) that you should carry Pepto instead of Imodium.....etc.,etc.,etc.,.........
Reason being is that Imodium, while it does stop the symptoms fast, doesn't actually get rid of the intestinal bug itself. Pepto, although slower acting, actually kills the intestinal bug.Anyone know if this is accurate?

maybe the "bugs" just hate the PINK color!

Hammock Hanger
10-13-2005, 09:45
I've been told (before I went to Mexico by someone I trust who has done a lot of world traveling) that you should carry Pepto instead of Imodium.

Reason being is that Imodium, while it does stop the symptoms fast, doesn't actually get rid of the intestinal bug itself. Pepto, although slower acting, actually kills the intestinal bug.

Anyone know if this is accurate?
Not sure which is the correct answer. However, on the trail I want the quick end to the "action" and would take IM

Mouse
10-13-2005, 11:26
Not to mention that IM is in tiny pills in sealed waterproof packets and Pepto is a bulky liquid. That sort of makes the thru-hiking choice obvious. Although, in town it might be an option.

Hammock Hanger
10-13-2005, 11:29
Not to mention that IM is in tiny pills in sealed waterproof packets and Pepto is a bulky liquid. That sort of makes the thru-hiking choice obvious. Although, in town it might be an option.
Actually you can find Pepto in chewable tablets. Drinking it is hard enough, chewing it would be rough.

Almost There
10-13-2005, 11:32
Pepto also comes in caplets, but I go with Imodium, works better and faster. BTW 3 years ago I was laid up for a week with the worst food poisoning I have ever had, I spent 45-50 minutes each hour in the bathroom...anyhoo, I went to the doctor and he told me to just keep drinking liquids and try to flush the bug from my system, he told me not to take anything like Pepto or Imodium as both would just hold the bug in my system longer. If you truly have a bug, hole up close to a bathroom with plenty of fluids, and enjoy the trip to Hell and back.

CynJ
10-13-2005, 11:49
Pepto comes in two dry versions -a caplet formula and a chewable formula. I carry the chewables with me in my purse. Takes care of heartburn, upset stomach, ect

D'Artagnan
10-13-2005, 12:21
The Pepto chewables do work relatively fast but it's kinda like chewing on a piece of chalk. Beats the alternative though. :eek:

Footslogger
10-13-2005, 12:22
Good old Helicobacter Pylori

H. pylori infection probably occurs when an individual swallows the bacteria in food, fluid, or perhaps from contaminated utensils. The infection is likely one of the most common worldwide. The rate of infection increases with age, so it occurs more often in older people. It also occurs frequently in young people in the developing countries of the world, since the infection tends to be more common where sanitation is poor or living quarters are cramped. In many cases it does not produce symptoms. In other words, the infection can occur without the person knowing it. The infection remains localized to the gastric area, and probably persists unless specific treatment is given.

Increasingly, physicians are treating the acute ulcer with acid-reducing medicines and treating the infection with antibiotics. Interestingly, one of these antibiotics is a bismuth compound that is available over-the- counter as Pepto-Bismol. It is also available as a generic drug called bismuth subsalicylate. The bismuth part of the medicine actually kills the bacteria.

Imodium contains a totally different compound (Loperimide) which deals primarily with the diarrhea symptoms, secondary to the bacterial infestation.

'Slogger

frieden
10-13-2005, 12:26
Thanks, Footslogger! That is a helpful bit of first aid kit info!

Two Speed
10-13-2005, 13:32
'Slogger, I have to have gotten something backwards here. Pepto-Bismol is an antibiotic?

the goat
10-13-2005, 13:35
'Slogger- sounds like you're the doctor of doodoo!:D Thanks for the info!

Footslogger
10-13-2005, 13:37
'Slogger- sounds like you're the doctor of doodoo!:D Thanks for the info!==========================
Been called worse ...welcome

'Slogger

The Hog
10-13-2005, 13:53
I always carry several chewable Pepto tabs in my pack. They're ultralite and they seem to work pretty well. They're ineffective against gas, however. Has anyone ever carried a few Digels on the Trail?

gumby
10-13-2005, 13:59
I use lomotil, it is a prescription drug that in the Air Force we used to call cement pills, they work great, but then again I have to use them daily for my IBS.

By the way pepto looks real cool if it comes back up.
marc

CynJ
10-13-2005, 13:59
Excellent! So I will just keep packing the Pepto...... :banana

CynJ
10-13-2005, 14:01
By the way pepto looks real cool if it comes back up.
marc
lol...they don't call it the "technicolor yawn" for nothing.....lol

Footslogger
10-13-2005, 14:03
Excellent! So I will just keep packing the Pepto...... :banana===========================
Just be aware that excess bismuth intake will turn your stool very dark ...almost black. This effect is harmless and will pass once you back off the pepto

'Slogger

icemanat95
10-13-2005, 14:11
I carry both for different symptoms.

One of the biggest problems with diarhea on the trail is the difficulty in controlling fluid loss. Losing fluids that fast can immobilize you in a hurry. So controlling fluid loss from diarhea can be really important. I tend to double shot these problems when travelling, using Pepto against stomach upset and immodium (an over the counter formulation of the Limotle drug) to control diarhea.

When I hit Damascus in 1995 I was coming down with some food poisoning thing and went from OK to full-blown digestive rebellion in a matter of 45 minutes or so. All of a sudden I didn't know if I needed to be sitting on the toilet or hanging my head over it, and frequently needed to transition from one posture to the other post haste. Within about an hour I was too sick to move further than the distance from my bunk to the bathroom and back again. I was so dehydrated that I was starting to hurt. I got someone to run to the store and get me pepto, immodium and a pile of gatorade. I'd do a shot of Pepto, pop an immodium and then do a shot of gatorade. The Pepto allowed me to keep the gatorade down long enough to dissolve the immodium and put it into my system. This combo slowed down the diarhea and vomiting enough that I could actually keep up with the fluid loss. Took 2 days to stop the major symptoms and 4 more (including 2 slow train days) to really recover. Sometimes half-measures just don't cut it.

SGT Rock
10-13-2005, 17:39
Imodium. You may not loose the bug as fast, but it will stop diarrhea which can lay you out on a hike. With the Imodium I was able to stop myself up and do a 15 miler into a place where I could rest it out for a night near a good crapper :D

And a couple of imodium pills weighs nothing.

Alligator
10-13-2005, 17:45
Imodium. You may not loose the bug as fast, but it will stop diarrhea which can lay you out on a hike. With the Imodium I was able to stop myself up and do a 15 miler into a place where I could rest it out for a night near a good crapper :D..

And a couple of imodium pills weighs nothing.Oh that's just comfort then, don't bother. Duct tape is all you need for that problem.:jump

Thanks for the tip all:cool: . That's one I haven't had on the trail yet.

Spartan Hiker
10-13-2005, 20:18
Take both.

SGT Rock
10-13-2005, 20:22
Take both.
Seems like a real Spartan wouldn't say that. ;)

Spartan Hiker
10-13-2005, 20:29
Seems like a real Spartan wouldn't say that. ;) Spartans of old didn't have the option. This one does, 1SG. ;)

smokymtnsteve
10-13-2005, 22:28
tincture of opium..now that stuff will stop the runs

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-15-2005, 08:33
While tincture of opium works well, it is impractical for the trail (doesn't withstand heat well). I carry both IM and pepto tabs in my first aid kit. IM to stop the runs and pepto for other tummy woes. Good to know pepto is also antibacterial. Thanks for the info, 'Slogger.

orangebug
10-16-2005, 09:26
Opiates may stop the GI motility and stop the "runs", but it does not change the loss of fluid that persists in the colon. In fact, the use of opiates may cause other problems that will complicate insensate dehydration of the hiker, including more risks of falls and other accidents.

Pepto is an excellent one tablet addition to a first aid kit. If you have diarrhea and can't walk very far, plan on a short day and try to hydrate while using Pepto early and often. (There are generics out there even cheaper.)