PDA

View Full Version : Emergency blanket

squeezebox
09-20-2014, 03:11
I bought an emergency blanket recently 4.5' x 7' 3 oz. $8
Thought it might be a nice "front porch" for the tent. sit pad. gear cover. break tarp. changing pants wrap etc.
How long are the guy lines on your tarp?
Is the emergency blanket fairly durable?
Seems lighter than Tyvek, probably cheaper too.
Is the poly cro / window film a better choice?
Or should I just leave it in the glove box of my car?
3 0z here 3 oz there is adding up.
Thanks for your opinion!!

10-K
09-20-2014, 05:27
I bought an emergency blanket recently 4.5' x 7' 3 oz. $8
Thought it might be a nice "front porch" for the tent. sit pad. gear cover. break tarp. changing pants wrap etc.
How long are the guy lines on your tarp?
Is the emergency blanket fairly durable?
Seems lighter than Tyvek, probably cheaper too.
Is the poly cro / window film a better choice?
Or should I just leave it in the glove box of my car?
3 0z here 3 oz there is adding up.
Thanks for your opinion!!

They're pretty cheap... why not open it up and play with it and if you think it'd be useful just buy another one?

I think it'd tear pretty quick and get shredded but that's just opinion - I've never see one in action.

kayak karl
09-20-2014, 07:23
10K is right. they tare easily. we carry emergency gear in our pack so backup, backup is not needed. if you realy need the front porch a 3'-3' piece of tyvek would last longer and about the same weight.

saltysack
09-20-2014, 08:28
Waste of space...I've used.. Silver flakes off after one use if gets wet....leave in glovebox get Tyvek...what I fid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10-K
09-20-2014, 08:51
Waste of space...I've used.. Silver flakes off after one use if gets wet....leave in glovebox get Tyvek...what I fid

Salty, your inbox is full. Can't reply to the personal message you sent me.

saltysack
09-20-2014, 10:26
Salty, your inbox is full. Can't reply to the personal message you sent me.

Thx just cleaned out...

Rocket Jones
09-20-2014, 11:55
When you really need it for insulation, those space blankets can't be beat, but they are pretty flimsy. I consider mine a single use item, and would only use it in an emergency.

Sarcasm the elf
09-20-2014, 12:04
I used to carry an emergency blanket just in case...

Now I just use a large "Contractor grade" 3mil garbage bag as my pack liner which makes surprisingly effective emergency insulation or a shelter when you crawl inside of it with just your head sticking out. I've also found a couple of other random uses for the bag while hiking, it's a handy thing to have around.

MuddyWaters
09-20-2014, 12:42
ive used space blanket for groundcloth on many trips under tent, no issues. They dont tear that easily., and when they do, $3 at any walmart or outfitter gets you another.

My space blanket groundcloth is ~1.5 oz. Tyvek is much heavier. the only competition is polycro, and its not as easily replaceable . Overall, I think its a great choice as long as you plan on replacing periodically.

bangorme
09-20-2014, 14:17
Do they fold up like a tarp? The one I bought 45 years ago was thick and once I unfolded it (for fun) it didn't fold back up again neatly.

rocketsocks
09-20-2014, 14:45
I carry one for you, just encase I find you've fallin' can't get up and in shock...it's worth my time, money, and weight penalty.

bmanice
10-29-2014, 19:09
for a "front porch" - tyvek would be your best bet here.

saltysack
10-29-2014, 19:19
I used one a few trips as ground cloth...the shiny stuff fell off...wouldn't waist my money....stop feeding the landfills with crap that doesn't last! [emoji90]

Wise Old Owl
10-29-2014, 19:24
Works great in Space.... not so much on the trail - sorry...:rolleyes:

saltysack
10-29-2014, 19:35
Haaa