PDA

View Full Version : Black Diamond Whippet

Coffee
09-20-2014, 08:03
I'd like to get some thoughts on the Black Diamond Whippet as a substitute for an ice axe. My thoughts are to switch out one of my trekking poles (Black Diamond Carbon Cork) for the Whippet at Kennedy Meadows before entering the Sierras on the PCT. It seems like a more lightweight option compared to an ice axe. However, I'm not sure about its effectiveness when it comes to self-arrest. In addition, I'm not certain that I can use it for setting up my shelter since the handle includes the "axe" and my shelter (Hexamid Twin) requires the handle portion of the pole to come into contact with the canopy. Obviously, a blade near the canopy isn't a great idea. If I have to carry both of my normal trekking poles (one strapped to my pack) along with the whippet, the weight savings compared to an ice axe will be reduced.

In addition to either an ice axe or the whippet, I plan to carry crampons and I'm switching out my trail runners for my Asolo boots at KM to have a better edge on my footwear while in snow. I know people do it but I can't imagine walking in packed snow or ice in my trail runners (Cascadia). They are slippery enough with light frost and would be terrible in packed snow or ice, so I'm willing to wear heavier footwear.

Starvin Marvin
09-21-2014, 14:05
Well, if you are strapping a pole to your pack while using the whippet, wouldnt it be better to strap both hiking poles to your pack, in case you need to self arrest?

And if you are carrying that second hiking pole for tent set up only, why not switch it out for a carbon fiber dedicated tent pole instead. Depending on poles, you could easily save around 5 ozs.

Or just carry a lighter ice axe.