PDA

View Full Version : Lowest June through August temps

Gnomad
09-20-2014, 20:40
Hello,

I am a teacher. In my fantasy world, I am thinking of hiking ga to hf one summer then hf to maine the next. I would be hiking mid June through late August both years. I would use a hammock and am making diy top and bottom quilts with 2.5 oz climashield with extra insulation over the torso (5.0 oz patch). I think this system should be good to mid-low 40s. Would this temp range cover me the whole way? My main concerns would be the whites and gsmnp.

Praha4
09-20-2014, 21:22
Ironic that I have 2 friends that are currently in the midst of that exact 2-yr hiking plan. They left Springer Aug 17th, just got to Damascus, hope to be at HF by Oct 27th. Next year they plan on hiking HF to Maine, but not sure what months yet for next year. With your plan, it may even be a bit of overkill with a 40* sleep system from GA to HF in the months of June to late August. You'll be in the middle of the summer heat. Southern Appalachians are warm and muggy in the summer months. Your year #2 from HF to Maine you would probably be fine with a 40* system, with June nights possibly being the coolest, and an occasional cool nite in NH or ME as you go into the summer months. Good luck!

bigcranky
09-20-2014, 21:31
It's enough. I use a 3/4-length closed cell foam pad and a 45-F rated quilt in my hammock in the summer in the South, and it's plenty. I used the same quilt in Vermont in July and it was plenty, though I was glad to have an ultralight down jacket a couple of nights when it got into the upper 40s.

Cookerhiker
09-21-2014, 10:59
... You'll be in the middle of the summer heat. Southern Appalachians are warm and muggy in the summer months. ...

The mid-Atlantic - MD-PA-NJ-NY - plus CT and MA are at least as "warm" (read: hot) in the summer months as the South.

Gnomad
09-21-2014, 12:49
Thank you guys for the info. I know hot is way more likely to be an issue. This is a weird year, but I spent about a week in SNP this summer and nighttime temps were mid- low 50s with one night in the 40s in August. Given 40s at 3k elevation, I am/was worried about gsmnp elevation and august in the whites. I figured I would be good with the setup I am making but wanted external confirmation.