PDA

View Full Version : Water in GA

RETCW4
09-21-2014, 17:17
Can anyone tell me the water situation from Unicoi to Standing Indian Mountain?

Chappy
09-21-2014, 19:59
Can't answer that specifically, but was between Woody Gap and Blood Mtn yesterday and there was a little water at the turn up to Blood Mtn shelter. Not much rain lately so my guess is there is some, but not much water. Slaughter Creek was not it's usual noise making self.

mgeiger
10-22-2014, 16:35
I can speak for part of that - I hiked from Unicoi to Dicks Creek this past Sat-Sun (Oct 18-19).

- The stream at .6 in was kicking, but if you're starting at Unicoi like me, theres no need to top off .6 into the hike.
- The pipe down behind Tray Mtn shelter (.3W off the trail) was flowing fine.
- The creek at Addis Gap was great. Its a .5mi hike to the right down an old road. We camped here too, seeking shelter from the NW wind.
- We skipped Deep Gap Shelter (.3E)
- You'll see some streams the last mile coming down into Dicks Creek. Those are right off the trail.

TNhiker
10-22-2014, 17:07
i stayed up at standing indian mountain 2 weekends ago, and the spring near there was flowing good (look for blue blaze before the turn off to go up the mountain)......

also, the spring near the shelter was flowing as well..............

J-Fro
10-28-2014, 08:59
Hiked Spring to Dicks Creek Gap last week and no water problems except the fact that you'd better get water before heading up Blood is your staying in the shelter. Otherwise good water right now.

A&Dub
11-05-2014, 22:50
Can anyone tell me the water situation from Unicoi to Standing Indian Mountain?

I am interested in this as well. New to this section of the trail. Wondering how reliable water is in mid Nov. Thanks to all that have responded. Any additional info is appreciated.

Mockernut
09-09-2015, 21:58
A bit of info for 9/7/2015:

Water at Steeltrap Gap (just North of Tray Mtn @ mile 58) was running really well. Spring is on the east side down a longish trail.

Water at Sassafras Gap ( @ mile 61) was very weak and slow.

Lots of water the mile leading up to Dicks Creek Gap, especially creek side where the little bench is about a 1/2 mile from the road. Also, the creek is trickling pretty good on the south side of the parking area.

Trailweaver
09-10-2015, 01:16
You will find plenty of water in GA in November. It will start raining in the fall, and creeks will be running then. May be frozen, but you would be able to chip a hole in the ice and get water.

FatMan
09-10-2015, 07:44
Hiked Dicks Creek Gap to Bly Gap a week ago. Plenty of water at Plumorchard Gap Shelter. The water at Bly Gap was running but a bit slow.