PDA

View Full Version : pack cover sizes

ihavea4
09-21-2014, 21:28
I haven't found any info on this from reviews or anything yet, so I was wondering if any of you guys use the Granite Gear Crown VC 60 pack? I want to get a pack cover for mine, but I'm not sure what size to get. I ordered one already, but when I put it on the pack it was huge. I think I used the pack's max volume when looking at sizing, and I think that volume even includes outside pockets... Anyway, I'd rather not have to keep buying and returning pack covers if I don't have to, so any recommendations on a good fitting cover?

saltysack
09-21-2014, 21:30
No need I use a trash compactor bag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saltysack
09-21-2014, 21:31
Use a trash compactor bag as liner in need for pack cover...

saltysack
09-21-2014, 21:31
Sorry... Duplicate

Back on the trail
09-24-2014, 11:20
Does everyone feel better saying Trash COMPACTOR bag than just trash bag?:rolleyes:

dzierzak
09-24-2014, 11:22
Does everyone feel better saying Trash COMPACTOR bag than just trash bag?:rolleyes:

It's actually a different bag. There are trash bags and trash compactor bags. The compactor bags are tougher and thicker. Last time I looked, they were about $0.50 each.

saltysack
09-24-2014, 11:33
Def more $$$... Lots thicker and more durable...

rocketsocks
09-24-2014, 11:33
I haven't found any info on this from reviews or anything yet, so I was wondering if any of you guys use the Granite Gear Crown VC 60 pack? I want to get a pack cover for mine, but I'm not sure what size to get. I ordered one already, but when I put it on the pack it was huge. I think I used the pack's max volume when looking at sizing, and I think that volume even includes outside pockets... Anyway, I'd rather not have to keep buying and returning pack covers if I don't have to, so any recommendations on a good fitting cover?
do you carry your sleeping pad on the outside of your pack? what kind of pad do you use, air mattress, foam? these question will affect the fit. maybe just bring your pack to a store and give it a try-on...that's free, you owe yourself a try-on.

rocketsocks
09-24-2014, 11:35
but generally speaking i'd think a 60L pack would be a large, and yes it'll swim in their a bit.

Coffee
09-24-2014, 11:44
To answer the OP's question regarding pack covers as opposed to liners, I recommend the zPacks product. I have a size large for my ULA Circuit which I think is about the same capacity as the OP's pack. For me a pack cover is not used to keep the gear inside my pack dry (I also use a cuben pack liner). Instead, the function of the pack cover is to (1) avoid the pack from getting waterlogged and gaining weight and (2) keeping the front of the pack relatively dry so it can be used in my sleep system w/o getting everything around it including my sleeping bag wet. I don't think that a liner or cover is an either/or proposition. Both serve important roles and the additional weight is very marginal.

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/pack_cover.shtml

saltysack
09-24-2014, 11:59
To answer the OP's question regarding pack covers as opposed to liners, I recommend the zPacks product. I have a size large for my ULA Circuit which I think is about the same capacity as the OP's pack. For me a pack cover is not used to keep the gear inside my pack dry (I also use a cuben pack liner). Instead, the function of the pack cover is to (1) avoid the pack from getting waterlogged and gaining weight and (2) keeping the front of the pack relatively dry so it can be used in my sleep system w/o getting everything around it including my sleeping bag wet. I don't think that a liner or cover is an either/or proposition. Both serve important roles and the additional weight is very marginal.

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/pack_cover.shtml

Just curious how do u use in sleep system?

Coffee
09-24-2014, 12:30
Just curious how do u use in sleep system?

Usually under my head to make a platform for my pillow but I've also been experimenting with it under my legs hoping to go to a shorter sleeping pad in the future. In both cases it is hard to do if the pack is really wet.

saltysack
09-24-2014, 12:34
I see u use same pack as me...I've had mine in torrential down pour but pack seems to shed water really well...I've thought about the pack cover but never went w it...

ihavea4
09-24-2014, 12:42
do you carry your sleeping pad on the outside of your pack? what kind of pad do you use, air mattress, foam? these question will affect the fit. maybe just bring your pack to a store and give it a try-on...that's free, you owe yourself a try-on.

I actually don't have a sleeping pad, since I have a hammock with quilts. So nothing really sticking off my pack. Also, I do use a trash compactor bag inside my pack to keep my clothes and sleep system dry, but like Coffee said, I want to make sure my pack doesn't get too waterlogged if I can. I'm not sure how big of an issue it would be, but I figure for a few ounces it can't hurt.

levibarry
09-24-2014, 12:58
I agree with Coffee and would add that is when not in use at the time, it then becomes part of your pillow
along with extra clothes. It will all depend on the weather.

ChuckT
09-24-2014, 13:14
I have the Nimbus Trace, rated as a 62 liter bag. I bought a JRB cover/gear hammock for it. Seems to fit all right. And I'd rather have it on the big side. I am not contemplating off trail bushwacking that would be a different scenario.

HeartFire
09-24-2014, 15:19
http://lightheartgear.com/index.php/rain-gear/hp-cover
2842628427Just another pack cover option - keeps your head and shoulders dry along with the pack.

rocketsocks
09-24-2014, 15:25
I actually don't have a sleeping pad, since I have a hammock with quilts. So nothing really sticking off my pack. Also, I do use a trash compactor bag inside my pack to keep my clothes and sleep system dry, but like Coffee said, I want to make sure my pack doesn't get too waterlogged if I can. I'm not sure how big of an issue it would be, but I figure for a few ounces it can't hurt.
ah, a hammock hanger, yep, didn't figure on the one...confirmed ground hound here. Well I always use both as well, couple a few ounces won't break my broke back.