PDA

View Full Version : Biking the AZT?

Teddy
09-21-2014, 21:51
I'm an Arizona native now living far away where there are MUCH fewer mountains, and I'd like to plan a future trip to AZ to BIKE the AZT, primarily due to time constraints and because I've explored quite a bit of the state over my lifetime. (I just want to start form one end and get to the other with my own two legs!)

I've been on the ATA web site, but I'm looking for suggestions on easier/more scenic routes to take on wheels. Because of my current location, I cannot do a lot of trail/climbing training, so this is more of a scenic endurance trek for me; not a race, but not peaking mountains every day...

I'm open to any and all suggestions, ideas, questions, etc.

Thanks in advanced!

pyroman53
09-21-2014, 22:14
I've been on the ATA web site, but I'm looking for suggestions on easier/more scenic routes to take on wheels. Because of my current location, I cannot do a lot of trail/climbing training, so this is more of a scenic endurance trek for me; not a race, but not peaking mountains every day...

I'm open to any and all suggestions, ideas, questions, etc.

Thanks in advanced!

I'm not a cyclist but we have designed and graded the AZT to accommodate cyclists. If you need more info please pm me and we can figure it out. Plenty of local knowledge to make your trip successful. It's really an awesome trail experience. Lots of bike traffic.

garlic08
09-22-2014, 08:51
Take up Pyroman's offer!

I worked on many of those nicely graded trail miles, shoulder-to-shoulder with lots of cyclists.

I would guess you probably don't want to carry your bike through the Grand Canyon. I think I saw a shuttle listed on the ATA newsletter. It'll be expensive, but like many things, you either do it the hard way or the expensive way.

Teddy
09-23-2014, 15:27
but like many things, you either do it the hard way or the expensive way.
LOL, this is so true in many scenarios...

Pyroman, Will be PMing you...I'm gathering basic gear as I go along, so no major rush on my part.
Thanks!

colorado_rob
09-23-2014, 16:13
[QUOTE=garlic08;1909725]
I would guess you probably don't want to carry your bike through the Grand Canyon.QUOTE] I certainly wouldn't, but funny, every year when we hike the GC we see folks carrying their bikes on the Bright Angel and N. Kaibab trails... Yikes! They are AZT-ers, at least the ones I asked.

Dogwood
09-24-2014, 15:02
I would think one of the shuttles between the N and S Rims could shuttle a bike instead.