PDA

View Full Version : On-line Maps of Pinhoti, BMT, ASRT, & FCT

gubbool
09-22-2014, 01:10
While gathering data for a future hike of the Pinhoti, I created an on-line map and a Garmin friendly map overlay of the track.

This is only the track data needed for a Pinhoti thru and no nearby/related/connecting tracks. http://lifeat2mph.com/pinhoti/

That data mostly reflects trip-data from Solo's work (old & recent) and includes both the Alabama and Georgia sections.
Georgia's updated track/information is from Marty Dominy's GPT Trail Guide.

If planning to hike a bit further, a work-in-progress-map of the Benton MacKaye trail is at http://lifeat2mph.com/bmt/
That BMT track/data is from Sgt Rock's BMT Guidebook.

If planning a kayak trip down Alabama's Scenic River Trail, http://lifeat2mph.com/ASRT/
This track/data is my work.

If planning an even longer kayak trip; say, a 1515-mile circumnavigation of Florida, then... http://lifeat2mph.com/gm/fct/
This track/data is from my work and Florida's Office of Greenway & Trails dep.state.fl.us

blisterbob
09-22-2014, 06:23
Thanks,
I printed a couple sections of the BMT for a hike next month.

Matt65
09-22-2014, 10:46
Excellent resource Gubbool.

mountainman
11-22-2014, 16:24
I can't get this to download. What am I doing wrong. It says wait for loading but ather 15min I gave up.

brewyet
11-25-2014, 14:39
this map looks great. Thanks

JBEN
11-26-2014, 11:27
Gubbool,
Yes, this a great resource. I've poured a lot of prep time over it as I will be thru-hiking the entire Alabama Pinhoti trail Jan 31-Feb 6 SOBO.
In Re to all of the waypoints you have marked, I find myself visualizing them from previous section hikes.
Thank You for the effort you have put into this..., you are appreciated.
-Jeff

gubbool
11-26-2014, 18:43
downloading the .gpx and files is straight forward. depending on the OS probably just follow the 'right click' & 'save-as'

of course the map itself cannot be DL-ed.

btw, I use the Android program 'Locus' on my smart phone. Locus will cache several of the backgroung maps for use off line.

the .gpx files can be drag & drop to the garmin/gpx directory on Garmins.

Matt65
11-26-2014, 21:59
I will be thru-hiking the entire Alabama Pinhoti trail Jan 31-Feb 6 SOBO.

That will be a pretty steady pace. I hope to thru hike it one day.

gubbool
11-27-2014, 05:33
"...pretty steady pace'

an understatement. i wonder what the best recorded time is for a thru. my best would probably be a SB in '10 on the tailend of a NB in '09. that was 12 or 13 days; i stopped at every shelter overnight. winter hiking erases the water problem but days are very short because of daylight hours and there's the later than 8am starts and the 4pm stops. good news is that it's so cold that once the sweat starts you cant stop for breaks; so once started, theres few breaks.

blisterbob
11-27-2014, 07:55
[QUOTE=JBEN;1924389]Gubbool,
Yes, this a great resource. I've poured a lot of prep time over it as I will be thru-hiking the entire Alabama Pinhoti trail Jan 31-Feb 6 SOBO.

In Jan. 2013 I hiked from Jackson Chapel to FS518 (about 75 miles) in 4 days on my birthday backpack adventure
In 2014 the weather kept me off the trail in Jan.
Weather permitting I may start SOBO at Jackson Chapel sometime around Jan. 24 again since I have done all the sections south of FS 500 S. already this year.

JBEN
11-27-2014, 09:11
It is indeed a steady pace. I going solo, so I can hum along @ my average cruising pace of 3-3.5mph. I'm not rushing thru..., just going my speed.
My buddy, "Easy-go-it Marco," is usually with me. Just like his trail name indicates, he easy-goes-it @ around 1mph...maybe! If he was with me, there is no way this plan would work. Haha... he is a good guy and I don't mind his pace (BlisterBob, he the tall guy that has been with me back when you shuttled). He may not be the most in-shape person, but he is willing and loves it! I suggested his trail name when we went on an AT/Fontana hike. He told me he would catch up..to just keep going. Well, he came into camp after I had been there for an hour. I'm guessing I had 2miles or so on him. Hence..., "Easy-Go-It!"
Weather will play a huge part in the equation. If the forecast indicates tempermental weather, I am lucky to have a job where I can push it to the next week in lieu of the current dates. The daylight time for those dates range from on 1/31 (10hrs/33mins) to on 2/6 (10hrs/43mins). I usually wake up before sunlight anyway...so starting @ first light isn't a big deal. I will just hike my hike. I am looking at realistically hiking around 9 hrs per day. I do have an extra day built in, just in case I get off pace course.

dhagan
12-02-2014, 11:11
You HAVE to give us a report on your trip! Im tired just reading about it...

JBEN
12-03-2014, 08:43
Dhagan, I will most definitely do a trip report. I continue to look at the future dates w/excitement, thinking it's a considerable time away. However, I know it will be here quickly. This time gives me an excellent opportunity to prepare by training. I walk the trail in my mind most days, especially as I'm running a 7 mile rail-trail over in Fultondale. I tell myself, this is where Dugger is won...,this is where Cheaha is won..., this is where Horne is won! I'm usually a 3-miler 4x per week. i thought it would be wise to up my mileage to condition myself giving the challenge I've placed in front of me. I've already cut my "winter" base-pack weight down to around 21lbs. It was a little lower until I got the SPOT. It gives my family some relief to be able to track me on an hourly basis. That few extra ounces is worth it for their peace of mind...

dhagan
12-03-2014, 12:22
Good luck! Im hoping to do half the end of May. Ive thought about getting the spot, but I just dont want to subscribe for a year. Might do it anyway...

The Solemates
01-26-2015, 13:04
thanks again for the map! I'll use this here in a couple weeks!

dhagan
01-27-2015, 11:58
I havent downloaded the map yet. Does it have water, campsites, etc marked? Changed our date to the last weekend in March. I was on the treadmill last night and put it on 3.5 for a while. Dude...you must have a 40" inseam. I could not imagine keeping that pace, on the trail, all day, every day. We went to Cheaha last weekend, and I was just studying the terrain. I was thinking, there is so much that could happen if I did this solo, and nobody would miss me until I was past my arrival date. Then they would not know where I was. The spot, doing it solo, is very wise.

dhagan
01-27-2015, 12:01
Duh....I just looked at your map. Great info, and thank you for doing the work for all of us!