PDA

View Full Version : a link about our favorite camp shoe...

Mags
10-13-2005, 18:31
Crocs (the fugliest show I know of. :D) is very popular among thru-hikers. Light for some, comfy..and insanely popular among thru-hikers!

Crocs have their HQ in a town called Niwot..which is right next to Boulder, CO.

Spend five minutes anywhere in Boulder and you will see these shoes. At movies, at the grocery store, in your favorite coffee shop. They are insanely popular in the PROB as well!

I also know many of the people in our tribe seem to like them, too. Go to the ADZPCTKOP, Trail Daze, Gatherings what have you and you'd think Crocs (along with Frogg Toggs and DriClime windshirts) was the sponsor! :)

A local alternate weekly out of Denver did a story on these plastic shoes:

http://www.westword.com/Issues/2005-10-13/news/feature.html

Figure some of you may enjoy the article.

Made the cover of the paper, too:
http://www.westword.com/

Enjoy!

Lone Wolf
10-13-2005, 18:34
They're something I'll never own.

Sly
10-13-2005, 18:44
Ah come on Lone Wolf, you'd be styling in a pair of fushia Crocs!

TwoForty
10-13-2005, 20:42
Come to any college town and you will see them everywhere. I don't know why. I wouldn't wear mine unless I was at a campsite.

MOWGLI
10-13-2005, 22:05
They are the fugliest things, aren't they? Yeah - yeah, I know. Function over fashion.

Just Jeff
10-13-2005, 23:11
I saw some knock-offs today called Komodo's...still pretty spendy at $20 for a camp shoe, but they looked exactly like Croc's.

I just hike in running shoes or very light boots, so I don't even carry camp shoes.

MacGyver2005
10-14-2005, 07:45
Come to any college town and you will see them everywhere. I don't know why. I wouldn't wear mine unless I was at a campsite.
I've been to many college towns and had never seen them until I hit the trail.

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME

CynJ
10-14-2005, 07:56
I first saw Croc wannabes at Payless last year - they are so obnoxious looking. But they are light, and reasonably comfortable. Just not my thing.

I'm using lowsided, trail runners during the day, and I am packing a cheap $4 pair of white ked sneakers as camp shoes - they aren't heavy, I can hike in them if I need to, and they are great for water crossings. Downside is they take a while to dry but so be it.

peter_pan
10-14-2005, 08:01
Wear my Waldies ( bought out by Crocks) every day... SOOOO comfy and convienent.

Got them in black so they will even go with a tux. :D

Pan

Red Hat
10-14-2005, 09:12
I bought a pair of beige Crocs at Neels Gap in 04, and a pair of purple ones in Damascus in 05. I love them! I tried to get a pair of the Payless knockoffs, but the store manager told me she had to send them up to Colorado. Seems they don't sell so well in Texas...

QHShowoman
10-14-2005, 09:20
I just bought a pair of crocs mainly because I do a lot of travelling for work and I hate the hassle of taking your shoes off at security, putting them back on, etc. -- so I figured crocs would be easier. I really like them. They're lightweight, comfortable, and sturdy enough for me to haul my luggage through airports in without any problems.

Mags
10-14-2005, 13:25
They are the fugliest things, aren't they? Yeah - yeah, I know. Function over fashion.
Too heavy to be functional! 12+ oz for camp shoes?

No thanks. :)

From a post on PCT-L:

As a lightweight weenie (or just a plain weenie to
some women I have dated. ;), I must say crocs are
*NOT* lightweight.

12+ oz for campshoes ?!??!! As for fording, find it
takes too long to take off shoes/put another pair on.

If you want really light camp shoes, point yer browser
here: http://www.trailquest.net/sandals.html

They are also ugly (but not *fugly*)..but are almost
free!

No day-glow colors I am afraid. :)

Of course, to paraphrase Seinfeld...

If you like fugly, clunkly, day-glow orange shoes that
are heavy...there's nothing wrong with. :)

Mags (in Colorado, but at heart still a sarcastic
Northeasterner. :-D)

</pre>

Auntie Mame
10-15-2005, 19:04
Payless has $14 croc imitations that are, to my feet, better fitting and cushier underneath. In Portland, (ME), they come in black, olive drab and white. Wore them traveling to Montana, and could not be beat for comfort. The winter model is solid on top, doesn't look bad at all.