PDA

View Full Version : NJ Man Killed By Bear

Tuckahoe
09-22-2014, 07:12
http://www.northjersey.com/news/crime-and-courts/police-man-found-dead-in-west-milford-woods-following-bear-attack-1.1093395

Prayers go out to the man's family. We have discussed this many and this is an extremely rare event and it does not cause me to consider doing anything differently. Sounds like this particular bear was stalking them and that something may have been wrong with the bear.

Pedaling Fool
09-22-2014, 07:26
Yeah, that article leaves a lot of questions and I have a few thoughts, but probably best to wait for more information.

Havana
09-22-2014, 07:45
"As they ran in different directions"

imscotty
09-22-2014, 07:46
Wow, that seems to be some unusual bear behavior. Fearlessly going after five people! I wonder if the bear was rabid?

My condolences to the young mans family and friends.

jersey joe
09-22-2014, 08:27
This surprised me: "...the incident would mark the only fatal bear attack ever recorded in New Jersey."

Offshore
09-22-2014, 10:42
Here's more coverage from another NJ paper: http://www.nj.com/passaic-county/index.ssf/2014/09/edison_man_22_found_dead_in_west_milford_after_bea r_encounter.html#comments

AO2134
09-22-2014, 10:59
I hope to never encounter a bear. I am perfectly fine never seeing one.

saltysack
09-22-2014, 11:05
Must be more to this.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnnySnook
09-22-2014, 11:21
Not enough info to know what really happened. I never trust the news reports. It would help to see the police reports with statements from all involved.

Where they just a group of kids that had experience with hiking or what to do when they saw a bear?
Did they have food on them?
Was food found on the dead hiker?
I'd think five healthy guys could put up a good front to try and scare the bear away.

ki0eh
09-22-2014, 11:29
It would be nice if the media covering this would talk about things like http://www.artofmanliness.com/2008/01/30/how-to-survive-a-bear-attack/ (skipping the grizzly bear part so as not to confuse New Jerseyans).

People are not born out of the womb knowing this, it has to be taught.

And, the answer can't be just "don't go in the woods, bears could eat you."

If we as Americans and hikers rely only on multiple generations of fathers passing knowledge down to children of what to do in the woods, we will wake up with our woods taken away from us once the new majority of Americans sees no value in the woods.

Deacon
09-22-2014, 11:33
Must be more to this.....

Yeah, I encountered six bears this spring from Georgia to Virginia, and they all ran away at the first sight of me. This bear must have been sick in the head.

rocketsocks
09-22-2014, 12:01
Condolences to the family.

Shutterbug
09-22-2014, 12:22
Yeah, I encountered six bears this spring from Georgia to Virginia, and they all ran away at the first sight of me. This bear must have been sick in the head.

There just isn't enough information in those news reports to form an opinion. I encounter bears often in Mt. Rainier National Park. None of them have been aggressive toward me; however, a couple of years ago a bear in the Olympic Mountains killed a hunter. In that case, the bear felt threatened and was defending itself. The information in these news reports don't give enough to even speculate.

There is no mention in either of these reports that a cub was involved. The most frequent reason for a black bear attack is a mother bear protecting a cub.

Odd Man Out
09-22-2014, 12:32
There's a nice paper published in The Journal of Wildlife Management (link below) about all known fatal black bear attacks in North America from 1900-1909. There were no documented cases of a case of a rabid bear involved in a fatal attack. 77% of fatalities were in Alaska and Canada. Only 4 in the eastern US not including MI and MN (1 in VT, 1 in NY, 2 in TN). 88% of fatalities were from bears behaving as predators (rather than defending themselves), and 92% of the bears were males. The idea that a female bear will defend her cubs is strictly a Grizzly Bear trait. Finally, there were only 4 known cases of a bear attacking a group of three or more people, and NEVER a group of five. If these guys had stuck together and tried to scare off the bear, things may have turned out differently.

Here are a couple of relevant quotes from the paper's conclusion section (in case you don't have access to the full article).

"Communicating about black bear-inflicted human fatalities in a statistical manner can contribute to better understanding about black bear attacks, further reduce chances of serious injury or death, and promote public appreciation about black bear."

"A person should try to aggressively deter or fight off a potentially predatory bear using all possible deterrents such as bear spray, loud noises, fists, firearms, rocks, knives, or clubs. If a bear acts stressed and is showing defensive threat behaviors, then a predatory attack is unlikely, which is counterintuitive to many people because the bear is acting aggressively. However, this aggression is defensive, and if the bear is given space it will likely leave. Also, if an aggressive female with young is encountered, a predatory attack is extremely unlikely since most predatory attacks by black bear were by single male bear. While female black bear, even with cubs, seldom attack people they can be provoked into attacking if harassed by people or dogs."

Herrero, S., Higgins, A., Cardoza, J. E., Hajduk, L. I. and Smith, T. S. (2011), Fatal attacks by American black bear on people: 1900–2009. The Journal of Wildlife Management, 75: 596–603. doi: 10.1002/jwmg.72

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jwmg.72/full

Tuckahoe
09-22-2014, 12:33
Here's more coverage from another NJ paper: http://www.nj.com/passaic-county/index.ssf/2014/09/edison_man_22_found_dead_in_west_milford_after_bea r_encounter.html#comments

Wow the derp in that comment section is just amazing. I love the "but they shouldn't have killed the bear."

Jake2c
09-22-2014, 12:35
Hopefully there will be some lessons learned out of this. I feel sorry for the family. As hikers we don't want to believe we can be attacked by a bear but the reality is, it's possible. Smart to take steps that will lower the odds but they will never be "0". I am a relatively new hiker but an avid diver with thousands of dives logged around the world. I have been in the water with sharks and have been snapped at once but he only got my flashlight. I still go in the water but the bottom line is the odds of a shark attack will never be “0” unless of course all sharks are removed from the environment. I view bears the same way and as with the water, I will continue to go into the woods. My bigger concern is really what ticks carry.

rocketsocks
09-22-2014, 12:51
Wow the derp in that comment section is just amazing. I love the "but they shouldn't have killed the bear."
yep, or that the bear was probably starving to death...Jerseys bears ain't stavin' bud, bumper crops this year.

TREKMAN001
09-22-2014, 13:00
First ever fatality in New Jersey! What a sad statistic. I live in Southern Jersey, in the Pine Barrens, close to the shore, and, though I have stealth camped for years out there, I have never seen a bear. Of course the woods are totally different from north to south... My thoughts go out to the family...

The Solemates
09-22-2014, 13:09

I've encountered several bears in my time. Black bears in the East generally run away from you...you are correct. I've had them run away from me numerous times.

However, this is not always the case when they have lost fear of humans. One particular bear I encountered in the Smokies was clearly used to eating hiker food. He came into camp and had no fear of humans. He got into another campers' food sack at a shelter. I suspect if we would have tried to take away his meal he would have acted in defense. Another bear I encountered in New Jersey was in the dumpster of a restaurant. I walked out the back door and he looked at me with no fear and turned around and kept digging. I've also encountered grizzlies at a distance in Alaska. They were aware of my presence and had no fear either, but I was a great deal away.

Sarcasm the elf
09-22-2014, 13:12

I made the mistake of reading a few of the article comments. I feel dumber now.

Slo-go'en
09-22-2014, 13:38
I was walking home at dusk yesterday when up ahead I saw three bears come out of the woods and start walking towards me. A Mom and two cubs. The wind was blowing in my direction. I had just started to eat an apple I picked off a tree along side the road. The only reason I saw them was because they were silhouetted against the sky, being at the top of a rise in the road and me below it.

I threw the apple I had in my hand off into the woods, then gave a little shout out. Mom looked up, saw me and all three high tailed it back into the woods. I was about 1/4 mile from my house.

Offshore
09-22-2014, 14:27

One can always rely on the comments section of NJ.com for the finest of intellectual discourse (the forums are even better!).

rocketsocks
09-22-2014, 14:52
heard on the news that the bear taken by law enforcement was 4 years old, male, 300 lb.

Odd Man Out
09-22-2014, 14:57
Another common misconception is that black bears that have become acclimated to humans are more dangerous/aggressive. Studies show that most fatalities come from bears in wilderness areas that have had little or no contact with humans. Yogi bears that hang around campgrounds and steal pick-a-nick baskets are the least likely to attack.

In this case the reports (although preliminary) are consistent with what would be expected of a fatal bear attack that happens on average about once every 30 years in the eastern US. The bear was reported stalking (as opposed to acting aggressively or provoked). It was not reported as being with other bears (cubs or adults). It did not attack a large group of people. It was not tagged, showing previous encounters with humans.

Pedaling Fool
09-22-2014, 15:29
heard on the news that the bear taken by law enforcement was 4 years old, male, 300 lb.Yeah, I just heard it on the video in the last link provided by offshore. They are not entirely sure it's the same bear, pending futher investigation, but they are very confident. That's a big boy.

rocketsocks
09-22-2014, 15:31
Yeah, I just heard it on the video in the last link provided by offshore. They are not entirely sure it's the same bear, pending futher investigation, but they are very confident. That's a big boy.
agree, probably do some DNA tests to corroborate fatal wound.

Havana
09-22-2014, 16:31
Who knows what provoked this bear. But running is never a good idea when faced by a bear. Apparently that's what these guys did. 1) You can't outrun a bear & 2) Fleeing is prey behavior. Standing your ground, avoiding eye contact, alerting the bear to your presence, "Hey Bear" is my favorite greeting, and speaking in soothing tones is the best way to prevent an encounter from going poorly. That said, sometimes **** happens.

Lone Wolf
09-22-2014, 16:34
black bears don't prey on live mammals

bangorme
09-22-2014, 16:36
We are in the middle of an attempt to functionally eliminate bear hunting in Maine, so we are hearing a lot about bears in Maine. Here is a website by game wardens and wildlife biologists that deals with that question: http://www.maine.gov/ifw/wildlife/species/mammals/2014BearRef_Video.html .

As far as the black bear is concerned, I've only seen one in my life while just meandering through the woods. I've seen several while fly fishing where the stream provides sound and scent cover. They run away as soon as they know I'm there. They don't see us as prey, they are afraid of us. I think it is important to separate the black bear and the grizzly or brown bear. Although, in the right situation, a black bear that is not hunted will see humans as prey, we are big enough to not be easy prey. Just like the person that got eaten by the bears he thought were his "friends" in Alaska, it is a mistake to believe that bears that are not fearful of humans are NOT potentially dangerous. They are.

wookinpanub
09-22-2014, 16:58
I just finished reading 2 books by a retired wildlife ranger for the GSMNP. He worked nusiance animals, mostly bears, there for around 30 years. I'll have to say it changed the way I look at bear encounters. I've encountered bears at least a dozen times and never taken the situation very seriously. I hang my food, make noise, cook away from camp, and generally obey the known rules of backcountry rules in regards to bears. Most bears have run as soon as they see me or pay me very little mind. After reading the books, I've come to realize how unpredictable the encounters are. There were cases of bears going predatory toward humans, tracking them as they would other prey. The books were very "matter-of-factly" written and no attempt was made to sensationalize. The general idea was that bears are very unpredictable.

JohnnySnook
09-22-2014, 17:22
Could you post the names of these books for us?
Its always interesting reading the comments. Its crazy how guy says he sees them walk thru his yard but says if he sees one when he's outside he's going to run. Then it became a gun and knife issue also.
We all know that bears have become very abundant in certain areas of NJ and New York. We have family friends that live in a small town in upstate NY. They have flocks of wild turkeys, herds of deer that eat everything in your yard, and bears around all the time. During the summer everyone is on alert. So far nothing bad has happened.
From the pictures posted in offshore's link it doesn't look like any of the parks signs have bear warnings and how to react to one.

bangorme
09-22-2014, 17:24

Please read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_black_bear#Dietary_habits

JohnnySnook
09-22-2014, 17:39
What? - Black bears don't prey on live animals?

Car hits deer. Black Bear kills and eats deer.

I guess you mean they don't hunt things they don't think they can catch.

JohnnySnook
09-22-2014, 17:42
This deer was was very alive although injured before the bear goes for the throat in picture 2.

Guess its time to donate so I can edit posts.

JohnnySnook
09-22-2014, 17:52
Here's the link to website I found this on and and the Photobucket link.

Per his post this happened in PA.

http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/9025-Deer-Vs-Car-Vs-Black-Bear

\http://s63.photobucket.com/user/shoveit_2006/slideshow/Deer%20VsBear

Odd Man Out
09-22-2014, 18:13
You certainly have to use lots of qualifiers in your statements when talking about bears. How many times has there been an encounter between a black bear and a human in North America over the last 115 years? Probably many millions of times. How many of these have resulted in the bear stalking and killing a human? About 55. So do bears prey on humans? To answer with a simple yes or no answer is in either case misleading.

JohnnySnook
09-22-2014, 18:35
Yes I totally agree that the odds very low that you will have a bad encounter with a black bear. Your more likely to hit a bear, deer, elk, or moose being shuttled to and from the trailhead and be killed. It just peaked my interest to search out black bear attacks.

Here's a great video that was on you tube via discovery channel off what he probably should of done. Running was a bad idea. This man states the attach went on for over an hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PWHNIbS8cE

Just saying...

TNhiker
09-22-2014, 18:44

That statement is not correct....

in the GSMNP----bears in the cataloochee valley have preyed upon elk calves...

that is one reason the elk have started to move to other parts of the park...

Kim Delozier writes about it in his boos (which another person has posted about)..

also, there was a newspaper article recently in the knoxville news sentinel that told the story about how a mama elk after losing her calves to bear---learned to move to another part of the park just to give birth....after she did, she would wander back to cataloochee....

Lone Wolf
09-22-2014, 18:45
as a rule.....

Coffee
09-22-2014, 18:48
Running from a black bear triggers its prey instincts and could be what happened here. Standing your ground, especially in a group of five people, would be the better choice.

imscotty
09-22-2014, 19:22
Here's a great video that was on you tube via discovery channel off what he probably should of done. Running was a bad idea. This man states the attach went on for over an hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PWHNIbS8cE

JohnnySnook, that is a very interesting video. My opinion is the person in the video was in grave danger when the bear drove him into the water. I certainly would not seek water for safety against a bear.

This video also made me realize how an aggressive bear could drive a hiker deep into thick brush or swamp where they might never be found. Even if the bear did not kill, fear and hypothermia or drowning could do the rest. Could this be the explanation behind some missing person cases? Yes, I realize this is an unlikely occurrence.

Pedaling Fool
09-22-2014, 20:08
Could this be the explanation behind some missing person cases? Yes, I realize this is an unlikely occurrence.I imagine that black bear would have been more aggressive then what we saw in the video, if faced with a smaller the hiker. If that guy was, say a 10-year old kid or a small female, he would have probably been more aggressive.

It seemed to me that the bear was hesitating, basically sizing up this guy; I would have gotten a stick, at least at the ready and very much ready to strike in the face area.

coach lou
09-22-2014, 20:14
I hope to never encounter a bear. I am perfectly fine never seeing one.

You will be in awe the day you do......and it is not in a zoo. :)

saltysack
09-22-2014, 20:18
That statement is not correct....

in the GSMNP----bears in the cataloochee valley have preyed upon elk calves...

that is one reason the elk have started to move to other parts of the park...

Kim Delozier writes about it in his boos (which another person has posted about)..

also, there was a newspaper article recently in the knoxville news sentinel that told the story about how a mama elk after losing her calves to bear---learned to move to another part of the park just to give birth....after she did, she would wander back to cataloochee....

As a generalization bears are scavengers...will eat what they can get there paws on....they really like the after birth from elk and deer but given easy meal a newborn calf/fawn fit the bill....I came across this tree last winter while hiking near roan mtn a bear had been shredding trying to get to grubhttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/22/5c9b57afff4c47e477a9d7a8ea07edbd.jpg

MuddyWaters
09-22-2014, 20:43
There are no absolutes. 99.9% of bears may flee from you, that doesn't mean the other .1% doesn't exist. Just like people, there's bound to be a few bad ones.

They shouldn't have run, they shouldn't have split up. The others are responsible for their friends death.

wnderer
09-22-2014, 20:57
saltysack, that picture reminds me of my first bear encounter.

I was day hiking in Sequoia National Park. It was the end of the day and I was really beat and heading back to the car. I walked by one of those giant logs they have lying there. I looked down and there was a bear tearing the log apart so close I could of patted it on the head. The bear didn't notice me at first. I was kind of burned out from hiking, so at first I didn't realize what was going on. When I realized I was standing next to a wild bear, I said 'Ohhhhh'. Which was a mistake. The bear jumped back. I turned to run. The bear jumped up on the log and then I remembered you're not suppose to run away from a bear. So I put my hands over my head and walked backwards away from the bear. I got some distance away and the bear went back to the log. I had to wait for the bear finish with the log before I could go to my car.

That's the rule I remember being told as a kid. Don't run away from a bear. A bear can out run you. Back a way from a bear with your hands over your head to make yourself look as big as possible.

imscotty
09-22-2014, 20:58
You will be in awe the day you do......and it is not in a zoo. :)

I agree with Coach Lou. Every bear sighting I have had has been an absolute thrill and a privilege. This unfortunate story may make me more cautious, but it will not diminish my desire to see these magnificent animals in the wild.

rocketsocks
09-22-2014, 21:01
I imagine that black bear would have been more aggressive then what we saw in the video, if faced with a smaller the hiker. If that guy was, say a 10-year old kid or a small female, he would have probably been more aggressive.

It seemed to me that the bear was hesitating, basically sizing up this guy; I would have gotten a stick, at least at the ready and very much ready to strike in the face area.Which weighs more billy club, bear spray....I'll take the billy ever day.

imscotty
09-22-2014, 21:05
They shouldn't have run, they shouldn't have split up. The others are responsible for their friends death.

I agree they should have stuck together and not run MuddyWaters, but I also think it best not to judge this situation too harshly. In a surprise and a panic situations can unfold quickly and in a split second it is easy to make a mistake. I am sure they already carry a heavy burden at the loss of their friend.

saltysack
09-22-2014, 21:07
I agree with Coach Lou. Every bear sighting I have had has been an absolute thrill and a privilege. This unfortunate story may make me more cautious, but it will not diminish my desire to see these magnificent animals in the wild.

Agree 100%!!! I trust bears more than most people!

Tuckahoe
09-22-2014, 21:28

And wow! That's a lot of derp right there.

MuddyWaters
09-22-2014, 21:32
Non-hikers, including family members have asked me if I was afraid I'd be eaten by a bear.

My response is usually, " if it happens, it happens. I'd rather be killed by a bear, than die of a heart attack behind my desk at work".

And I'm serious.

HooKooDooKu
09-22-2014, 21:59
... The most frequent reason for a black bear attack is a mother bear protecting a cub.
I thought there was a recent discussion that said that this was false...

Grizzly mothers are likely to attack humans because male grizzlies will try to kill cubs.

But when a mother black bear sense danger, she and her cubs will attempt to get out of harms way by climbing trees (i.e. even small cubs are very good climbers).

...at least that is my current understanding of the difference between a mother grizzly and a mother black bear.

wookinpanub
09-22-2014, 22:27
Could you post the names of these books for us?
Its always interesting reading the comments. Its crazy how guy says he sees them walk thru his yard but says if he sees one when he's outside he's going to run. Then it became a gun and knife issue also.
We all know that bears have become very abundant in certain areas of NJ and New York. We have family friends that live in a small town in upstate NY. They have flocks of wild turkeys, herds of deer that eat everything in your yard, and bears around all the time. During the summer everyone is on alert. So far nothing bad has happened.
From the pictures posted in offshore's link it doesn't look like any of the parks signs have bear warnings and how to react to one.

Bear in the Back Seat: Adventures of a Wildlife Ranger (1 and 2)

JohnnySnook
09-22-2014, 22:50
So I've done a bit more research and yes the odds are very slim of being attacked in the lower 48 but that doesn't mean as there are more bears and more people that these numbers won't change.
Here is a video by one of the top bear researchers University of Calgary professor emeritus Dr. Stephen Herrero. He has written many other papers on bears that are listed in the link below this one.

Some very interesting facts.
92% of black bear kills on humans are by male black bears.
I think he states 80% of deaths due to black bears have occurred since 1960.
We'll I'll just let you let watch the video and read the article.

http://phys.org/news/2011-05-beware-predatory-male-black.html

Some of the article he's written are in this link. you have to sign up to certain websites to read the full reports which I'm going to do.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/advanced/search/results?searchRowCriteria[0].queryString=%22Stephen%20Herrero%22&searchRowCriteria[0].fieldName=author&start=1&resultsPerPage=20

Just think of the odds and keep hiking and pray your not one of the on average 2 people killed per year. Also remember being bitten by a snake, being attacked by bees, or killed in many other ways while hiking are more likely than being killed by a black bear.

JohnnySnook
09-22-2014, 22:50
Thanks for book names. I'll check them out. My OCD has kicked on this subject.

Odd Man Out
09-22-2014, 23:12
I agree they should have stuck together and not run MuddyWaters, but I also think it best not to judge this situation too harshly. In a surprise and a panic situations can unfold quickly and in a split second it is easy to make a mistake. I am sure they already carry a heavy burden at the loss of their friend.

Agree. I think the point of analyzing this situation is not to place blame but to help others understand what to do in case they find themselves in similar situations.

MuddyWaters
09-22-2014, 23:23
This is not only rare, its unheard of.

If im recalling correctly, statically, there are NO bear attacks on groups of 5 or greater. Even including grizzlys. Not talking deaths, just attacks.

Where large groups were attacked, it because they were strung out and separated.

Teacher & Snacktime
09-22-2014, 23:38
Hmmm....bears and gunmen....killers abound in the NJ woods. Is this Kismet telling Snacktime and me that we shouldn't be hiking there this week?

Feral Bill
09-22-2014, 23:56
Hmmm....bears and gunmen....killers abound in the NJ woods. Is this Kismet telling Snacktime and me that we shouldn't be hiking there this week?
No.

How many wrecks on the road from your home to Jersey this month?

Offshore
09-23-2014, 05:26

Every state park and state forest in NJ bear country that I've been to has had bear advisory signs. Then tend to be just housekeeping and don't feed the bears advice rather than what to do in case of an encounter, though. This sign in the photo is at Waywayanda shelter taken last winter. (The logbook in the shelter had reports of a sow and two or three cubs in the area of the shelter and nearby Parker Lake in July and August.)

NJ has bear advice on their Fish and Wildlife website and in brochures available at park offices, but the trails get so much use by inexperienced hikers (flip flops, granola bar, Poland Spring and cell phone) who probably never even considered the possibility of danger on the trail. It seems that the group of guys in this tragic event were inexperienced hikers who just went out for a walk in the woods and panicked and scattered when they encountered the bear.

Pedaling Fool
09-23-2014, 07:57
I thought there was a recent discussion that said that this was false...

Grizzly mothers are likely to attack humans because male grizzlies will try to kill cubs.

But when a mother black bear sense danger, she and her cubs will attempt to get out of harms way by climbing trees (i.e. even small cubs are very good climbers).

...at least that is my current understanding of the difference between a mother grizzly and a mother black bear.

It is a myth and it was fairly well covered by Odd Man Out in the below post.

There's a nice paper published in The Journal of Wildlife Management (link below) about all known fatal black bear attacks in North America from 1900-1909. There were no documented cases of a case of a rabid bear involved in a fatal attack. 77% of fatalities were in Alaska and Canada. Only 4 in the eastern US not including MI and MN (1 in VT, 1 in NY, 2 in TN). 88% of fatalities were from bears behaving as predators (rather than defending themselves), and 92% of the bears were males. The idea that a female bear will defend her cubs is strictly a Grizzly Bear trait. Finally, there were only 4 known cases of a bear attacking a group of three or more people, and NEVER a group of five. If these guys had stuck together and tried to scare off the bear, things may have turned out differently.

Here are a couple of relevant quotes from the paper's conclusion section (in case you don't have access to the full article).

"Communicating about black bear-inflicted human fatalities in a statistical manner can contribute to better understanding about black bear attacks, further reduce chances of serious injury or death, and promote public appreciation about black bear."

"A person should try to aggressively deter or fight off a potentially predatory bear using all possible deterrents such as bear spray, loud noises, fists, firearms, rocks, knives, or clubs. If a bear acts stressed and is showing defensive threat behaviors, then a predatory attack is unlikely, which is counterintuitive to many people because the bear is acting aggressively. However, this aggression is defensive, and if the bear is given space it will likely leave. Also, if an aggressive female with young is encountered, a predatory attack is extremely unlikely since most predatory attacks by black bear were by single male bear. While female black bear, even with cubs, seldom attack people they can be provoked into attacking if harassed by people or dogs."

Herrero, S., Higgins, A., Cardoza, J. E., Hajduk, L. I. and Smith, T. S. (2011), Fatal attacks by American black bear on people: 1900–2009. The Journal of Wildlife Management, 75: 596–603. doi: 10.1002/jwmg.72

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jwmg.72/full

tdoczi
09-23-2014, 10:15
The most frequent reason for a black bear attack is a mother bear protecting a cub.

i lack the patience to supply the links to back me up yet again, but this statement is demonstrably untrue. BLACK bear attacks are always almost lone rogue bears who stalk and kill humans as prey (which is very rare, btw).

in other news, the world is not flat and the sun does not revolve around the earth.

tdoczi
09-23-2014, 10:23
i lack the patience to supply the links to back me up yet again, but this statement is demonstrably untrue. BLACK bear attacks are always almost lone rogue bears who stalk and kill humans as prey (which is very rare, btw).

in other news, the world is not flat and the sun does not revolve around the earth.

ok i lied, i found a bit of patience-

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/11/science/11bears.html?_r=2&

ok, now here will come the 5 or 6 people who just KNOW that this study MUST be completely wrong because.... well just because!

Pedaling Fool
09-23-2014, 10:45
I imagine that black bear would have been more aggressive then what we saw in the video, if faced with a smaller the hiker. If that guy was, say a 10-year old kid or a small female, he would have probably been more aggressive.

It seemed to me that the bear was hesitating, basically sizing up this guy; I would have gotten a stick, at least at the ready and very much ready to strike in the face area.
Here's a good example of a black bear in predatory mode http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JVkaMqD5mI

But that doesn't mean that that bear in the above video would have been a danger to humans.

It seems as though there are two schools of thoughts on black bears by the general population, one is that they are to be feared as a top predator and the other is that they are harmless picnicbasket/blueberry-eating wonders of nature.

Both are wrong, rather a combination of the above, but they are all predators. They probably won't make a top ten list of predators, but still they are predators.

Much has been said about individual differences, in that some are more aggressive than others and thus that's why we see certain individuals stalk full grown adult humans. I agree with that, but I think some mistake that as thinking that only a few act as predators, wrong.

Maybe some predate more than others, and there's a lot of factors, but they will all predate, but what they are willing to attack is what I believe is the main difference.

One bear may see stalking a human adult as worth a try, while many others (or even the vast majority) wouldn't even attempt it, but they will all prey upon something smaller, say a deer fawn or a small kid/baby.

adamkrz
09-23-2014, 11:20
Man I hate to be the first - But 10mm or 45acp makes me sleep better, Works for black bear or crazy human.

Slo-go'en
09-23-2014, 11:51
Man I hate to be the first - But 10mm or 45acp makes me sleep better, Works for black bear or crazy human.

Yeah right. I'd like to see you hit a bear with a handgun as it is attacking you. And if it's not attacking you, you have no business shooting it. But I suppose, shooting in it's general direction might come under the "make a loud noise" criteria. Just so long as you don't actually hit it.

JohnnySnook
09-23-2014, 11:51
Every state park and state forest in NJ bear country that I've been to has had bear advisory signs. Then tend to be just housekeeping and don't feed the bears advice rather than what to do in case of an encounter, though. This sign in the photo is at Waywayanda shelter taken last winter. (The logbook in the shelter had reports of a sow and two or three cubs in the area of the shelter and nearby Parker Lake in July and August.)

NJ has bear advice on their Fish and Wildlife website and in brochures available at park offices, but the trails get so much use by inexperienced hikers (flip flops, granola bar, Poland Spring and cell phone) who probably never even considered the possibility of danger on the trail. It seems that the group of guys in this tragic event were inexperienced hikers who just went out for a walk in the woods and panicked and scattered when they encountered the bear.

Offshore - I'm not doubting that bear advice is posted at the majority of parks.

I just scrolled thru the pictures under the video link you posted and they show about 6 pictures of the signs at the park in question.

I couldn't find anything speaking about bears on the signs although it may just be in the small print or the pictures are old. That is what I was trying to point out.

My family is from NJ and NY and I've spent a lot time up there. Visiting family friends in upstate NY Bears are a big issue. Unfortunately Sandy decided to destroy our families summer house that my grandfather built so those days are over for a while.

All of the info about male black bears attacking if each of the links provided by Dr. Herrero. If you watch this 8 minute video of him discussing the study its very informative.

http://phys.org/news/2011-05-beware-...ale-black.html (http://phys.org/news/2011-05-beware-predatory-male-black.html)

saltysack
09-23-2014, 11:55
I figured you would have a bunch of fools start packing heat after reading this post....except for the gram weenies!!!:)

Snowleopard
09-23-2014, 11:59
There have been a lot of bear incidents and some other attacks in NJ and nearby parts of NY. The main cause is probably suburban and rural households not storing garbage properly. So the bears have more access to human food and more interactions with humans. The more aggressive interactions with bears wanting human food, the more likely injuries are.

However, this incident may have been predatory (very very rare in the USA). Possibly the bear had lost fear of humans while feeding on human food. A predator will be cautious about getting injured and very careful of large prey. I've read of young bears testing people aggressively to see if they'd be a threat if attacked.

This sad incident won't make me carry bear spray in NJ, but it is definitely one of the places I would carry a bear canister.

Sarcasm the elf
09-23-2014, 12:42
I figured you would have a bunch of fools start packing heat after reading this post....except for the gram weenies!!!:)

Interestingly the trail is one of the few places that I don't feel the need to carry, and while this incident is tragic that's not going to change my behavior.

If there's anything on the trail that's going to kill me, it's steep wet granite, everything else out there seems pretty safe.

saltysack
09-23-2014, 12:44
Interestingly the trail is one of the few places that I don't feel the need to carry, and while this incident is tragic that's not going to change my behavior.

If there's anything on the trail that's going to kill me, it's steep wet granite, everything else out there seems pretty safe.

Totally agree I feel safer out there than in the civilized world! I us dime many newbie hikers might carry

saltysack
09-23-2014, 12:45
I damn fat fingers......assume

bamboo bob
09-23-2014, 12:49
I've encountered 47 bears on various trails. They all ran away (walked away in the SNP) every one with sometimes a quick glance at me. They all were fun to see. The mothers with cubs sometimes sent the cubs up a tree and then ran away. All black bears.

Sarcasm the elf
09-23-2014, 12:50
Totally agree I feel safer out there than in the civilized world! I assume many newbie hikers might carry

Doubtful in NJ for logistical reasons.

Lets just hope that anyone who chooses to knows the difference between a bluster, a bluff charge, and an actual attack.

Another Kevin
09-23-2014, 13:30

And if there's a creature on the trail that's going to kill me, it's most likely Borrelia burgdorferi, Babesia microti or Anaplasma phagocytophilum, Ursus americanus is almost a non-issue compared with those.

Although at my age, most likely cause of death on the trail is a sudden cardiac event. Oh well, those are just as deadly in town, and maybe spending some time on the trail might postpone it.

Offshore
09-23-2014, 13:41
I couldn't find anything speaking about bears on the signs although it may just be in the small print or the pictures are old. That is what I was trying to point out.

No problem, just to clarify, the photo I attached was what you typically find at the AT shelters. Looking at the photos on the nj.com site can be a bit confusing. The bear warnings are usually found on the glassed over bulletin board with the little roof over it. The trouble is that they are usually faded, water stained and lost there among the carryout advisories, area rules, tick warnings, etc. I've got a feeling that this may change, though.

Offshore
09-23-2014, 13:50
And if there's a creature on the trail that's going to kill me, it's most likely Borrelia burgdorferi, Babesia microti or Anaplasma phagocytophilum, Ursus americanus is almost a non-issue compared with those.

I agree 100% but since I'm up in that area solo a lot, its got me weirded out....may be time to find a hiking club.

This will serve as an interesting insight on to the perception of relative risk - something Homo sapiens are pretty bad at.

Odd Man Out
09-23-2014, 13:53
This is not only rare, its unheard of.

If im recalling correctly, statically, there are NO bear attacks on groups of 5 or greater. Even including grizzlys. Not talking deaths, just attacks.

Where large groups were attacked, it because they were strung out and separated.

Don't know about Grizzlys, but there have been no black bear attacks on groups of 5 or more. But in this case, I think that still holds. From the published reports, the group was stalked, but not attacked by the bear. The bear only attacked the individual when he became separated from the group. I think that is safe to conclude based on the reports that when the surviving friends reunited after separating, they did not know what had happened to the victim. If the bear attacked the group, they all would have known.

rocketsocks
09-23-2014, 13:57
Not suggesting that anyone follow suit here, but seems to me it is we humans who are bluff charging bears by being to close, and sooner or later the bears gonna call. Hope you at least have a pair...cause you'll likely need em.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bkwy0scRXBU

Offshore
09-23-2014, 14:01
Don't know about Grizzlys, but there have been no black bear attacks on groups of 5 or more. But in this case, I think that still holds. From the published reports, the group was stalked, but not attacked by the bear. The bear only attacked the individual when he became separated from the group. I think that is safe to conclude based on the reports that when the surviving friends reunited after separating, they did not know what had happened to the victim. If the bear attacked the group, they all would have known.

Reports were that they scattered and when reunited, they couldn't locate Darsh Patel. They called the police who located the victim and the circling bear. It seems like they got separated when they ran away, and Darsh was the unlucky one. Probably could have been any one of them.

imscotty
09-23-2014, 15:08
Not suggesting that anyone follow suit here, but seems to me it is we humans who are bluff charging bears by being to close, and sooner or later the bears gonna call. Hope you at least have a pair...cause you'll likely need em.

Wow Rocketsocks, that lady is going to piss off the wrong bear someday. If the bear is saying 'you are too close, leave me alone' then have some courtesy and leave him alone.

rocketsocks
09-23-2014, 15:51
Yeah kinda torn on this video, I think it serves two purposes, glad she posted it.

First is...don't try this at home folks, let me be the foolish one to show you bears are just saying stay away and learn from my naivete.

Secondly...it shows just how habituated bears can loose their fear of humans, obviously this is not the women first time testing the bears.

JohnnySnook
09-23-2014, 15:58
Rocketsocks - I did watch that video and thought about posting it also. LOL! I just couldn't come to terms with her using it as a political statement as to you to elect as governor. I can only imagine the firestorm of comments that it created. That is why the comments section is deleted on the video.

Here is another nice black bear visiting fisherman in VA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDA2qOAxRj0

rocketsocks
09-23-2014, 16:05
yeah , it's been posted on white blaze before. and that political ship has long sailed, So. Still a great video though to show just how folks think they know what's going on in a bears mind. O'coarse there is the bluff charge that bears exhibit, but come a day the bear feels a little more intruded upon...bet she won't show that video.

without a wag the dog spin.;)

kayak karl
09-23-2014, 17:49
On the news this morning , Philly channel 3. They said "the bear wanted their granola bars and was hungry" they said nothing else, just that. Got to love the news.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

rocketsocks
09-23-2014, 17:59
On the news this morning , Philly channel 3. They said "the bear wanted their granola bars and was hungry" they said nothing else, just that. Got to love the news.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
Now that''s some Derp right there.

Lone Wolf
09-23-2014, 20:33
foul play. just wait....

TNhiker
09-23-2014, 20:58
foul play. just wait....

yeah...........thats what they said about glenda bradley back in 2000..........

and it was never true..........

Feral Bill
09-23-2014, 21:12
I've been bluff charged by marmots fiercer than the bear in the video. I still avoid contact when I can. Marmot can't do much damage.

Havana
09-23-2014, 21:28

Bear spray has been proven to be more effective that a firearm. It turns out most folks aren't very good at aiming when under stress. I suppose fewer two legged folks would mess with you if they were faced with a mace container the size of a nalgene.

http://news.byu.edu/archive08-mar-bearspray.aspx

Pedaling Fool
09-25-2014, 09:05
I was looking for updates on this story, especially what was found during the necropsy, but found nothing. Wondering if anyone heard anything new?

BTW, as I was looking I came across this: http://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/pdf/bear/activity_ytd14.pdf

Interesting, the increase number of bear activity between 2013 and 2014 and this report, obviously, is not complete for 2014; the report's ending date is 9/21/14.

Although, at the bottom the report reads (paraphrased): This report doesn't include incidents where only the police responded.

So I guess there is the possibility that more people are learning to call NJ's Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) and not the police -- maybe??...

mdschill
09-25-2014, 10:08
Well, there was one in 1857, so that's a 100% increase in NJ bear fatalities in the last 157 years.

mdschill
09-25-2014, 10:13
First time i went hiking on the AT with my son we saw two bears in two days (north Jersey, surrounded by blueberry bushes) and it was amazing and a little scary.

mdschill
09-25-2014, 10:15
Yeah, you cannot outrun a bear. This has to be drilled into people's heads before they get out where they might encounter one. DON'T RUN.

wnderer, was that a black bear or a grizzly?

Coffee
09-25-2014, 10:24
I've been bluff charged by marmots fiercer than the bear in the video. I still avoid contact when I can. Marmot can't do much damage.

A charging marmot! That's pretty interesting. Marmots seem like the ultimate in laid back personality type. If reincarnation is true, one could do worse than coming back as a marmot near a high sierra lake.

Sarcasm the elf
09-25-2014, 10:26
Yeah, you cannot outrun a bear. This has to be drilled into people's heads before they get out where they might encounter one. DON'T RUN.

It was a black bear, there are no Grizzly's in the Eastern half of the US

Another Kevin
09-25-2014, 11:04

A charging marmot! That's pretty interesting. Marmots seem like the ultimate in laid back personality type. If reincarnation is true, one could do worse than coming back as a marmot near a high sierra lake.

Feral Bill, do you have marmots confused with martens? I know that I've been bluff charged by fishers. They're mean - as befits a predator that can successfuly bring down a porcupine. Marmots are pretty sedate.

Sarcasm the elf
09-25-2014, 11:34
Feral Bill, do you have marmots confused with martens? I know that I've been bluff charged by fishers. They're mean - as befits a predator that can successfuly bring down a porcupine. Marmots are pretty sedate.

I'm just jealous to hear that you've seen a fisher. In my experience they stay out of sight around humans. There are several that live in my local stomping grounds but I have yet to see one.

Feral Bill
09-25-2014, 11:40
Definitely a marmot. Happened on the Wonderland Trail.

Another Kevin
09-25-2014, 13:18
I'm just jealous to hear that you've seen a fisher. In my experience they stay out of sight around humans. There are several that live in my local stomping grounds but I have yet to see one.

I've only seen them when hiking solo, and only in early spring when the trails are monorails of snowcrete. They mate around the start of April around here, and can be kind of distracted in breeding season.

Once, about forty years ago, I came upon a fisher-fur ushanka in a thrift shop. At least I think it was fisher, because mink and sable are even more expensive. Wow, that thing was warm! (Alas, silverfish got into it while I was living in Arizona and had no use for it.)

Pedaling Fool
09-26-2014, 14:17
I was looking for updates on this story, especially what was found during the necropsy, but found nothing. Wondering if anyone heard anything new?

BTW, as I was looking I came across this: http://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/pdf/bear/activity_ytd14.pdf

Interesting, the increase number of bear activity between 2013 and 2014 and this report, obviously, is not complete for 2014; the report's ending date is 9/21/14.

Although, at the bottom the report reads (paraphrased): This report doesn't include incidents where only the police responded.

So I guess there is the possibility that more people are learning to call NJ's Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) and not the police -- maybe??...

Still haven't heard anything about investigation results, but this was interesting http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Rutgers-Student-Darsh-Patel-Bear-Attack-Police-Search-2-Hikers-NJ-Forest-276895991.html

Cops Looking for 2 Hikers in NJ Bear Attack Investigation

Wednesday, Sep 24, 2014 • Updated at 2:34 PM EDT

Police are trying to identify two hikers who may have come upon a group in a northern New Jersey nature preserve before a 299-pound black bear attacked and killed a Rutgers University student who had been hiking with friends over the weekend.

West Milford police believe the two hikers could help with the investigation into Sunday's attack, the state's first deadly bear attack on a human since 1852.

Authorities say 22-year-old Darsh Patel and four friends from Edison were hiking in the Apshawa Preserve on Sunday when they noticed the bear following them. The group scattered and they called police when they realized Patel was missing.

A search team found his body a short time later.

Officials said Patel had bite and claw marks on his body that indicated he'd been attacked by the bear. The bear was found 30 to 40 yards from Patel, circling his body, and euthanized at the scene, officials said. Authorities said it was 4 years old. A necropsy was being conducted on the animal.

The hikers told authorities the bear appeared to be following them; they were all carrying granola bars and water. The number of acorns in the woods where the bear was is far lower than it should be at this time of year, Burguess said. The bear was also stalking the body when police arrived, and Burguess said it's common for black bears to guard their food sources.

Rutgers said in a statement that Patel was a senior in the School of Arts and Sciences majoring in information technology and informatics. Patel's family asked for privacy.

Ragonese said there have been no fatal bear attacks in the state in recent history. New Jersey has recorded about one instance a year of bears being aggressive to humans, or in rare cases, swiping or swatting at people, but none of those cases have been deadly, authorities said.

"What happened this week is almost unheard of," said Ragonese.

There are between 2,000 and 3,000 bears in New Jersey during this time of year, Burguess said. About 200 to 300 are killed during an annual hunt in December. West Milford, which is part of the hunt area, has a particularly high number of bears per square mile compared with other counties nationwide.

No hunting is permitted in the nature preserve where Patel was attacked.

Snowleopard
09-26-2014, 15:35

Pedaling Fool, that report is very interesting.
In 2014 (to 9/21):
attempted home entry= 8;
home entry =30;
tent entry = 3.

I would be more freaked out by a bear in my house than one entering my tent!

Pedaling Fool
09-26-2014, 16:18
Yeah, how about the livestock kills up to 51 from last year's 21. Sounds like more hunting permits will be granted

saltysack
09-26-2014, 16:49
The more man destroys habitat....more people will encounter bears..Really simple.. Stop destroying there habitat... Less conflicts...live with nature...

wnderer
09-26-2014, 16:54

The bear in my story was in Sequoia National Park, California and it was a black bear with a white crescent on its chest. I don't think they have grizzlies in California anymore either.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
09-26-2014, 18:02
Wow Rocketsocks, that lady is going to piss off the wrong bear someday. If the bear is saying 'you are too close, leave me alone' then have some courtesy and leave him alone.

People are crazy. Is there such a thing as wild life endangerment? If so lady should be charged.

rocketsocks
09-26-2014, 22:21
People are crazy. Is there such a thing as wild life endangerment? If so lady should be charged.that's actually a very good point...maybe wildlife harassment or something.

hikehunter
09-27-2014, 02:06
I have come across bears when hiking, the always leave the area very quickly. one time there was a cub (near ready to be out on his own ...as he was more than half the size as momma), they looked at me and walked at a 90 deg. to my path and were gone before I could get the camera up and turned on to snap a pic.

The most scarry encounter was with a mountain lion when I was deer hunting in central Texas. The big kitty walked right under my tree stand. I had a gun but I was wondering if I should check my shorts.

I dont think that black bears are something to be feared....just respected....

These are wild creatures just doing what they do....give them space and they will give it to you....if they don't then you had better know the best ways to respond....get trained....learn what to do and what not to....

I watched ignorant people in Yellow Stone, walk to the edge of the road to take pictures of a grizzly and her two cubs....they got out of their cars....they were less than 50 yards from these guys....I was stunned that the grizzly did not serv-up people on a platter for her cubs...:eek::confused::eek::-?

Offshore
09-27-2014, 08:29
One of the local papers posted the audio of the 911 calls from the hikers and the incident report. In the call, the caller tells the 911 operator that "we saw a bear and we all started running". It seems from the call that they weren't being chased until they began to run away and the victim happened to be the one to get caught.

The incident report states that a search and rescue team discovered the victim's body, but were hindered in tending to him because the bear remained on scene, acting aggressively. This makes me wonder if the bear was acting aggressively in order to protect his kill or if it was just an aggressive bear. It also makes me wonder if bear encounter best practices would have made a difference in this situation.

http://www.nj.com/passaic-county/index.ssf/2014/09/deadly_bear_attack_911_call_reveals_hikers_confusi on_terror.html (http://www.nj.com/passaic-county/index.ssf/2014/09/deadly_bear_attack_911_call_reveals_hikers_confusi on_terror.html#incart_most-read)

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
09-27-2014, 09:10
I have come across bears when hiking, the always leave the area very quickly. one time there was a cub (near ready to be out on his own ...as he was more than half the size as momma), they looked at me and walked at a 90 deg. to my path and were gone before I could get the camera up and turned on to snap a pic.

The most scarry encounter was with a mountain lion when I was deer hunting in central Texas. The big kitty walked right under my tree stand. I had a gun but I was wondering if I should check my shorts.

I dont think that black bears are something to be feared....just respected....

These are wild creatures just doing what they do....give them space and they will give it to you....if they don't then you had better know the best ways to respond....get trained....learn what to do and what not to....

I watched ignorant people in Yellow Stone, walk to the edge of the road to take pictures of a grizzly and her two cubs....they got out of their cars....they were less than 50 yards from these guys....I was stunned that the grizzly did not serv-up people on a platter for her cubs...:eek::confused::eek::-?

While visiting my little sister and her family in KY we went to Land between the Lakes state park. In the park they have a stand of buffalo in a field fenced off with just heavy gauge wire fencing. We stopped to admire them. A van pulls up and a couple with 2 small children get out. The woman, who appeared to be of Native American descent, walks up to the field, starts banging on it with her hand, shouting "tatonka, tatonka" - buffalo lifts it's head and looks in our direction and pawed the ground. Told the lady " I don't think I'd do that!" She starts doing it again, but louder this time. Buffalo starts pawing the ground again and swaying. Told my sister, " I think we should get the kids back in the car". About that time lady does it again, once again getting a little louder. Buffalo lowers it head and charges the fence, sending the other family running back to their vehicle. Buffalo put a head-sized hole in that dang fence!! Fortunately it was satisfied with 1 charge. If it had gotten through I don't know that we would have been safe even inside our vehicles. Tracked down a park ranger to let them know about the breach of the fence before leaving the park. Crazy people!!

sfdoc
09-27-2014, 09:20
Ist death by bear in 150 years. Consider this, they ran, which is the instinct of the uninformed. If they'd stood their ground, perhaps even bunched together like a really big animal and made lots of noise, things might've turned out better for all, including the bear. Also, there are signs all over NJ state parks informing people about bears and proper actions when encountering them. If one doesn't read the signs, well…
Lastly, a biologist stated that the likelihood of a bear having rabies is very, very low.

Odd Man Out
09-27-2014, 16:28
...Buffalo lowers it head and charges the fence, sending the other family running back to their vehicle. Buffalo put a head-sized hole in that dang fence!!... Crazy people!!

We were in Yellowstone back in the mid '90's and saw a very agitated bison at one of the hot springs. There were dozens of tourons all around it taking its picture. We got out of there fast. They had a signs posted at every information kiosk about how dangerous bison were. I recall the sign had a very crude drawing of a bison goring and throwing a person. I looked like it had been drawn by a 1st grader (or me, as that is what my artistic ability is).

Tuckahoe
09-30-2014, 15:42
From the Holy $&#@ files --
http://www.kare11.com/story/news/local/2014/09/29/hunter-fights-off-525-pound-bear-with-knife/16411473
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/09/30/minn-hunter-armed-only-with-knife-kills-525-pound-black-bear-during-mauling/?intcmp=latestnews

Odd Man Out
09-30-2014, 19:05
http://www.kare11.com/story/news/local/2014/09/29/hunter-fights-off-525-pound-bear-with-knife/16411473
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/09/30/minn-hunter-armed-only-with-knife-kills-525-pound-black-bear-during-mauling/?intcmp=latestnews

Note to self: Don't shoot a bear with an arrow and expect it to be happy about it.

Pedaling Fool
10-02-2014, 09:08
The latest on the investigation: http://www.nj.com/passaic-county/index.ssf/2014/09/killer_bear_was_not_provoked_by_hikers_west_milfor d_police_chief_says.html

The man who was believed to be killed by a bear in a state forest last week, and the four friends who he was hiking with, did not antagonize the animal before the fatal attack, police said.

However, police are still looking for witnesses who were in the woods that day to verify the story, said Chief Timothy Storbeck, of the West Milford police.

Darsh Patel, the Edison man and Rutgers University senior, was part of a group of five that encountered the bear on a hike through the Apshawa Preserve on Sept. 21, said Storbeck. Investigators believe the bear aggressively chased the group, who apparently ran from the 299-pound animal.

“We’re trying to put all these theories to rest,” the chief said today, referring to rumors of the group inciting the bear.

The five hikers were approached by the bear, and they ran in different directions, the chief said. Panicked 9-1-1 calls record the friends’ fear of the pursuing animal.

When first responders approached the body of Patel, the bear continued circling the man’s remains, Storbeck said. Despite the first responders attempts to usher the bear away – including clapping hands, and yelling – the four-year-old bear kept circling back toward the body, which was marred with claw and bite marks.

“He was trying to get back to his prize,” said Storbeck.

A police officer shortly thereafter killed the bear with a shotgun, the chief said.

Several people who were in the woods that day did not report seeing the hikers or the bear, Storbeck said. Two hikers – a man and a woman - are likely to have talked to the group of five hikers, before the attack, the chief said. But investigators are still searching for the pair.

The necropsy of the bear’s remains is expected to be available before the autopsy of Patel, the chief added. He did not have an estimate when those results may be released.

If testing proves that the bear killed the hiker, it would be the first fatal attack in recorded history in New Jersey, according to the Department of Environmental Protection.

Patel was buried last week, the chief added.

That was interesting and an example of the age-old rivalry between predator and prey. I recently saw a documentary on a wolf taking down a bison, they both died from their injuries sustained during the battle.

Fredt4
10-02-2014, 19:25
Black Bears don't normally prey on adult mammals and rarely attack humans (that don't willing engage them, such as pets, circuses, or feeding). The two killed by black bears in Tennessee were actively hunted by the bears. Most black bears that actively hunt humans have gone for children and smaller females, though such incidents have been rare. Interesting that this victim was a male. I suppose the fatal attacks are sufficiently rare that one can't draw much from the attacks other than that they're rare.

Once when on the AT (2011) (unfortunately don't remember the location at this moment), while taking a lunch break I was sitting on the ground leaning against my pack. A large black bear was coming up behind me when I hear her (had two cubs). I turned around and she saw me and scurried away. They encounter was so quick I barely got a picture of her leaving, but it was only of a hind leg that could hardly be made out. So I'll conclude she wanted my pack that appeared to be left unattended. Don't think she was hunting me.

Offshore
10-09-2014, 07:16
Necropsy results from the bear were released yesterday. The bear was well nourished and healthy and was found to have clothing in its stomach and human remains in its mouth. The group was warned by a pair of hikers about a bear following them, but the group continued on and were taking pictures of the bear from what they thought was a safe distance.

“There is the rare predatory attack – like what this appears to be,” said Lynn Rogers, a Minnesota-based biologist with the Wildlife Research Institute and the North American Bear Center. “About one black bear out of a million would do that.”
“Bears are generally fearful of humans, and will avoid interactions with people whenever possible,” added Brooke Maslo, an assistant professor at Rutgers University’s Department of Ecology, Evolution and Natural Resources. “Most bear attacks are defensive, and the bear provides many warning signs. Predatory attacks do not have the same warning signs and can escalate without much warning at all.”

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2014/10/bear_in_lethal_west_milford_attack_healthy_testing _shows.html#incart_river

http://www.nj.com/passaic-county/index.ssf/2014/10/bear_expert_apparently_fatal_attack_in_west_milfor d_was_one_in_a_million_might_never_be_fully_explai .html#incart_m-rpt-2

Pedaling Fool
10-13-2014, 06:12
Necropsy results from the bear were released yesterday. The bear was well nourished and healthy and was found to have clothing in its stomach and human remains in its mouth. The group was warned by a pair of hikers about a bear following them, but the group continued on and were taking pictures of the bear from what they thought was a safe distance.

“There is the rare predatory attack – like what this appears to be,” said Lynn Rogers, a Minnesota-based biologist with the Wildlife Research Institute and the North American Bear Center. “About one black bear out of a million would do that.”
“Bears are generally fearful of humans, and will avoid interactions with people whenever possible,” added Brooke Maslo, an assistant professor at Rutgers University’s Department of Ecology, Evolution and Natural Resources. “Most bear attacks are defensive, and the bear provides many warning signs. Predatory attacks do not have the same warning signs and can escalate without much warning at all.”

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2014/10/bear_in_lethal_west_milford_attack_healthy_testing _shows.html#incart_river

http://www.nj.com/passaic-county/index.ssf/2014/10/bear_expert_apparently_fatal_attack_in_west_milfor d_was_one_in_a_million_might_never_be_fully_explai .html#incart_m-rpt-2I've been away for a while, thanks for the update. Here's a basic summary of 10 things we've learned about the attack...BTW, the victim's autopsy has yet to be completed. http://www.nj.com/passaic-county/index.ssf/2014/10/10_things_weve_learned_about_the_suspected_fatal_b ear_attack.html

blisterbob
10-13-2014, 07:30
My only bear encounter was on the Hannah Mtn. Trail in the Smokies and it was comical.
It ran away from us to a big pine tree to hide and then poked It's head around to watch us go by.
With that kind of behavior, I can see why someone would approach thinking they were too shy to attack.
It is sad to hear of someone being attacked and more so with a fatality.
It is also sad to have one of these beautiful animals destroyed.

Tuckahoe
11-26-2014, 13:53
Media is reporting that Patel took pictures of the bear that killed him --

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/n-hiker-cell-phone-pix-bear-killed-article-1.2023558

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/hiker-photographed-bear-killed-27193360

JohnnySnook
11-28-2014, 13:15
They posted the picture on yahoo. In the comments some claim to be hikers and have experienced aggressive black bears in recent years. The article stated the other kids took pictures also. It would be interesting to see all the pictures. It might give a better idea of what happened. I find it hard to believe that not one of them was recording video? Kids at their age are all about filming everything. In any case the video (which there may be one that isn't being released) could be used to prevent and educate the public on dealing with bear encounters.

Lone Wolf
11-28-2014, 13:26
the state needs to have an annual hunt to thin them out

takethisbread
11-28-2014, 13:29
the state needs to have an annual hunt to thin them out

I believe they hunt bear in nj. Maybe within the last few years a hunting season was instituted . There sure is a ton of bear on the AT there

Lone Wolf
11-28-2014, 13:38
I believe they hunt bear in nj. Maybe within the last few years a hunting season was instituted . There sure is a ton of bear on the AT there

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/bearseason_info.htm

lemon b
11-29-2014, 13:54
Six days isn't much of a season. Esp. when concurrent with deer season.

MkBibble
11-29-2014, 15:06
<content deleted upon request>

MkBibble, as a donating member, you should be able to edit or delete your own post. Once posted, look on the bottom for the edit post button to the left of reply with quote and reply.

Sly
11-29-2014, 15:47
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/hiker-photographed-bear-killed-27193360

If you stay on the video it loops to other black bear attacks in WV and FL.