PDA

View Full Version : 3 day CT section hike

hilltackler
09-22-2014, 14:24
So planning to do a 3 day section hike of the section in CT from Salisbury 41/44 to river road. Seems pretty straight forward from looking at the guidebooks and maps.

I checked the parking situation on River Road, seems as though there is room for a couple cars roadside...has this changed any

Anyone been around there, what's the water situation like? Any must see campsites? or other cool places to camp not on the map. Although, I'm thinking that in CT there IS ONLY camping at designated spots and lean-tos
Hilltackler

linus72
09-22-2014, 15:57
So planning to do a 3 day section hike of the section in CT from Salisbury 41/44 to river road. Seems pretty straight forward from looking at the guidebooks and maps.

I checked the parking situation on River Road, seems as though there is room for a couple cars roadside...has this changed any

Anyone been around there, what's the water situation like? Any must see campsites? or other cool places to camp not on the map. Although, I'm thinking that in CT there IS ONLY camping at designated spots and lean-tos
Hilltackler

Hey there - been doin' CT in 2-3day sections all summer NoBo. Things have been pretty dry in terms of the smaller water sources. Stick to relying on the bigger ones - Carse, Guinea, Macedonia, Hatch brooks. With a few exceptions most of the others have been trickles though there's been a tad of rain lately, but I doubt enough to source all those adequately. Of course its a short walk into Falls Village and Cornwall Bridge for resupply. There's plenty of parking at the River Rd south gate. Do not fill up water in the Housatonic, its polluted with PCBs. Nice campsites were: Pine Swamp Brook (there's water in the 2nd stream so walk past the first) and Silver Hill is awesome, definitely a must-see campsite. My wife and I are doing Iron Bridge to 41 next weekend so please pass on any info along that way too. We're thinking of camping at Limestone spring despite the climb in/out as it seems like a pretty darn nice setup and we arent doing big miles and can afford the extra mile R/T. Have fun! A nice section.

hilltackler
09-22-2014, 16:52
thanks for the info Linus72. I'll pass along the info when I get back on sunday. if for some reason I forget, shoot me a PM.

gsingjane
09-23-2014, 07:58
Second on the Silver Hill reco... you won't be sorry.

If you aren't trying to make huge miles and can stand an extra 1/2 mile at the end of the day, absolutely stop off at Limestone (although, if you're there over a weekend, be advised that it's a popular site for groups. I've been there when 30 other people have, too!). Just don't plan to go there when it's full dark, it would get very gnarly going over those rocks in the dark. Rand's View, right before you get to Limestone, should be amazing this time of year, and don't miss Giant's Thumb on that same stretch. Great Falls, just before the Iron Bridge, is wonderful, too. 10 Mile River campsite is really pretty (although it's followed the 10 Mile Hill which lives up to its name).

Have a great time!

Jane

hilltackler
09-30-2014, 11:26
This weekend's section hike was awesome! Very dry as others have mentioned. The water source at Sharon mountian campsite was literally a puddle but at least there was water. No time to stop at silver hill lean to- my dogs were barking and I wanted to get off the trail. Lol!
The limestone campsite with lean to and lovely privy! Great water source.
Ill have my full trip report on my blog by tomorrow

linus72
09-30-2014, 16:32
This weekend's section hike was awesome! Very dry as others have mentioned. The water source at Sharon mountian campsite was literally a puddle but at least there was water. No time to stop at silver hill lean to- my dogs were barking and I wanted to get off the trail. Lol!
The limestone campsite with lean to and lovely privy! Great water source.
Ill have my full trip report on my blog by tomorrow

Excellent news ! Will be at Limestone Spring Friday night! From all my research it looked great but some complaints about the distance, climb in/out, made me question it. Either way, really looking forward to it. The worst time on the trail is usually still better than sitting at a desk in front of a computer for 8 hrs+ !

Yeah, when I saw the Sharon campsite a few weeks ago, same thing. dry as a bone for the most part! I think I'm in for a little rain this weekend but considering we walked entirely in the rain from Hanglider's view to the Iron Bridge, I feel pretty broken in in that respect!

Off Belay
09-30-2014, 21:59
I'm so excited I stumbled upon this. I'm planning a 3-4 day in CT as well. However not until late October/early November. Planning on a Sobo from Salisbury to the NY state line. I haven't done much late fall camping so i'm curious, everyone think a 20 degree down bag is good enough. I'm not quite ultralight yet, but I'm foregoing the tent and doing shelter to shelter with a light tarp for a just in case.

Havana
09-30-2014, 22:53
My son and I are doing River Road to Salisbury this weekend. Perhaps we'll see you on the trail. I'm packing a 20 degree bag but using a tent. Layers will be the key. I don't trust my bag below 40 or so and fall evenings up on the ridge will test that.

hilltackler
10-01-2014, 06:36
I'm so excited I stumbled upon this. I'm planning a 3-4 day in CT as well. However not until late October/early November. Planning on a Sobo from Salisbury to the NY state line. I haven't done much late fall camping so i'm curious, everyone think a 20 degree down bag is good enough. I'm not quite ultralight yet, but I'm foregoing the tent and doing shelter to shelter with a light tarp for a just in case.

I think a 20 degree bag would be fine. That's what I would take - unless there was a
sever cold snap predicted. If you get chilly you could just put on your long johns, down coat,etc

i would think you would have no problems getting a spot in a shelter at that time of year.

linus72
10-01-2014, 13:42
My son and I are doing River Road to Salisbury this weekend. Perhaps we'll see you on the trail. I'm packing a 20 degree bag but using a tent. Layers will be the key. I don't trust my bag below 40 or so and fall evenings up on the ridge will test that.

Cool, its a possibility! If we don't see you, and you overnight at Limestone a different night, look for Linus and Stream in the registry :) We have 30-degree bags so we're probably cutting it close for October, but it looks like 45-50 degrees Friday night as the humidity and rain move in for Saturday. Have a great hike everyone.

Havana
10-06-2014, 08:26
Hiked River Road to Iron Bridge this weekend. Lost about half the day (and my sunglasses) on Saturday due to the dumping rain. Fortunately we stopped at Pine Swamp Brook shelter for lunch and just decided to hunker down and wait it out. Ended up spending the night there with four other guys (2 in the shelter and 2 in a tent). All the small streams are dry. No water from Pine Swamp Brook to Belters. 20 degree bags were fine for the night. Got into the high thirties. Foliage is beginning to rock. Next weekend should be peak. Met a couple in Falls Village who were flipflopping. Good to still see some thru hikers on the trail.

hilltackler
10-06-2014, 12:24
Hiked River Road to Iron Bridge this weekend. Lost about half the day (and my sunglasses) on Saturday due to the dumping rain. Fortunately we stopped at Pine Swamp Brook shelter for lunch and just decided to hunker down and wait it out. Ended up spending the night there with four other guys (2 in the shelter and 2 in a tent). All the small streams are dry. No water from Pine Swamp Brook to Belters. 20 degree bags were fine for the night. Got into the high thirties. Foliage is beginning to rock. Next weekend should be peak. Met a couple in Falls Village who were flipflopping. Good to still see some thru hikers on the trail.

Glad the foliage is starting to get good. Heading up to do a section in Mass from US 20 to jugs end road. I'm looking forward to some color in the forest. It's looking a little rainy on Monday but nothing torrential, I hope:)

linus72
10-06-2014, 12:52

Sorry we missed you guys! We had a gorgeous Friday with stunning foliage throughout, and the unbelievable view at Rand's and a lovely night at Limestone Spring. They were not kidding about the climb in/out though I think the next one was worse.... Unfortunately we got dumped on starting Sat AM and while the rain showed some mercy going out of Limestone spring, it was a deluge by the time we had to go down Wetauwanchu so that was sketchy for sure. That there was a bit steeper than I expected, and in the rain and wet leaves was slow going. By the time we reached the Rt 41 lot we were drenched wherever there wasnt our raincovers and raincoats... still it was more fun than being at the office! Was sad I couldn't keep going, but already planning the last CT section and our intro to Mass, and campfires! Some nice Coyote and Barred Owl songs out there Friday night. Most streams were dry and Limestone spring was running but lower than I expected. It really is great water though. The "cascade" called Wetauwanchu at Limestone spring was completely dry. Garnett brook was the only other one (barely) running.

Havana
10-06-2014, 13:01
CT definitely has to do something about the campfire ban. I was surprised that the rain didn't get some of the small streams flowing. The water source at Sharon Mountain was dry so the rain holding us up at Pine Swamp was a bit of a blessing. Next water was over two miles away....

linus72
10-06-2014, 13:48
Yeah we were discussing the ban Friday night too. Someone at Limestone had recently made a fire as there was a fresh ring. But I'm a rule follower.... maybe they could do something like a permit. A class you can take of basic fire building/clearing and safety skills like a simple boating permit for example. Available at your local outfitter(s). Then you get a little card to bring along and if a trail runner appears you show them the card and you don't get in trouble and just instead get a simple reminder to LNT and clear your ring. I wonder what the ban is from. I know the cabin at Silver Hill got burned down but that was in an actual fireplace I think... anyhoo would love to know. I loved Pine Swamp brook. Especially the picnic table. Nice Bottle Gentians down by the water too.

gsingjane
10-06-2014, 14:31
I don't think I'd hold my breath waiting for the fire ban in CT to be lifted. It's been in place for decades now so far as I know, and relates to the fact that the trail in CT goes very, very close to a lot of private land. I don't want to start a big debate about fires or lack thereof, just that it's not something that's all that likely to change.

Jane

hilltackler
10-06-2014, 14:48
I usually bring a tea-light candle when camping in CT. It's not a fire but it does give us something to look at. Lol! I'm a rule follower too so I don't build a fire if it's banned. I don't want to be the one that burns down the forest...unless it was a life and death situation of course.

linus72
10-06-2014, 15:13
Thanks Jane - that's at least a very likely reason that makes perfect sense. Heck, I'll be done with the CT trail very soon so won't be dealing with that limitation much longer, but would have been nice to have on my home turf. In any case, many other places in the state that allow it if I feel I need to have a campfire here.

Just Tom
10-08-2014, 09:24
While I've browsed on here on occasion, this is my first post. (Thanks goes to Havana and son, who we hunkered down with during the Saturday rain, for the motivation to drop in here for real). In regards to a fire, while it might not be as good as a real campfire, wood-burning backpacking stoves are permitted in CT at least. I would have used one to cook with on Saturday evening if it weren't for all that liquid sunshine :)

Havana
10-08-2014, 22:37
Nice to meet you on the trail, Just Tom! I may scrape out one last trip to finish up CT before the snow flies. Good luck with your hike!

linus72
10-09-2014, 10:20
Hoping to do the same, just gotta cover 41-Sages Ravine then we're done with CT. Might even slackpack it if its too cold but I really wanna stay at Riga, so maybe we will have one more warm weekend to do so.

Sarcasm the elf
10-09-2014, 10:30
Hoping to do the same, just gotta cover 41-Sages Ravine then we're done with CT. Might even slackpack it if its too cold but I really wanna stay at Riga, so maybe we will have one more warm weekend to do so.

That is one of my favorite sections of trail. I'd recommend that you don't slackpack it, stay overnight when the weather is nice and get up early enough to enjoy the sunrise!

linus72
10-09-2014, 10:38
Oh believe me, I'd rather do an overnight any day but I will take what I can get. Today is an absolutely perfect day for it, but instead I'm stuck behind a desk! GAHHHH! The weather's been so odd, hoping for one more warm enough weekend to make it happen soon.

Havana
10-09-2014, 11:04
Yeah, I'm debating whether to put away the gear for the season or hope for a warm, early November. My next open weekend isn't for a few weeks.

linus72
10-09-2014, 12:38
i have purposely left mine mostly packed just in case! and i clearly can't let go hahaha. If we get another nice weekend in the next few weeks we will all have to venture out! Its a bit colder up at 2000+ ft than 1000 but I think I could last a night a little closer to my bag rating to get one more in. I'm secretly hoping my sis in law bails on the bday weekend we set aside extra nights for in 2 weekends so I can go then! Keep in touch here if you decide to go because we'd be covering the same turf and might well cross paths and can meet up on trail at some point! We met/camped with a father and son at Caesar brook in July - was that you guys by any chance?

Havana
10-09-2014, 20:23
No, that wasn't us. We did a weekend in August rt55 to rt4

Sarcasm the elf
10-09-2014, 21:24
Oh believe me, I'd rather do an overnight any day but I will take what I can get. Today is an absolutely perfect day for it, but instead I'm stuck behind a desk! GAHHHH! The weather's been so odd, hoping for one more warm enough weekend to make it happen soon.

Yeah, I'm debating whether to put away the gear for the season or hope for a warm, early November. My next open weekend isn't for a few weeks.

Now of course my advice would be to get a zero degree sleeping bag, a second ground pad and then go out and have fun in the winter.
:sun

Havana
10-10-2014, 13:55
I'd be game for that if CT allowed campfires. But sitting around candle in the dark just doesn't have the appeal that sitting around a campfire has.

Sarcasm the elf
10-10-2014, 14:13
I'd be game for that if CT allowed campfires. But sitting around candle in the dark just doesn't have the appeal that sitting around a campfire has.

I know what you mean. I'm not big on campfires anymore, I love night-hiking in the snow so when I get to a campsite in the winter I usually just want to go to sleep. When I do plan to have a fire I'll go to Wiley Shelter or telephone pioneer's shelter in NY, or one of the campsites in Mass that has a firepit, but I don't remember off hand which sites in Mass allow fires and which don't

linus72
10-13-2014, 10:16
I did an overnight to Wiley on Friday night to test my solo tent. Really wanted to build a fire but got to talking for a long time to another guy there and never got around to it. But I'm taking my wife and son back there for his first backpacking trip and we will do one then. Man, people were coming in at 1,2 am and hammering in tent stakes, making dinner, not getting the whole hiker midnight thing but whatever, it was still fun... I was a newbie once myself. The coyotes and owls were also making a lot of GOOD noise. Sounded like a pack of them were going crazy over a fresh kill not far away, howling like crazy till 2am... and the owls were all talkin to each other from the trees. great moon out there too... I then had to pack out in the rain but that's the third weekend in a row I've had to do that so it was no big deal, and only 1.3 miles this time, and in fall foliage quite nice. Amazing how much more water there was in this 1.3 miles than pretty much all of the CT section I've been doing all summer (with exception of the large reliable brooks that is)