PDA

View Full Version : Using a trash compactor bag as a liner

he.who.forgets
09-22-2014, 16:53
My biggest challenge with using a trash compactor bag, specifically for keeping sleeping bag dry, is getting all of the air out of it. For those who use trash bags, do you pack your sleeping bag separately or in the same bag as everything you want to keep dry? How do you get your sleeping bag to compress when not using a stuff sack? Do you let the weight of everything on top of it do the compressing?

bangorme
09-22-2014, 17:25
My biggest challenge with using a trash compactor bag, specifically for keeping sleeping bag dry, is getting all of the air out of it. For those who use trash bags, do you pack your sleeping bag separately or in the same bag as everything you want to keep dry? How do you get your sleeping bag to compress when not using a stuff sack? Do you let the weight of everything on top of it do the compressing?

I keep hearing this, but where do you buy these things? I can't find them locally.

saltysack
09-22-2014, 17:37
Most all grocery stores sell packs of 4...work good easy to see in due to being white

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

squeezebox
09-22-2014, 17:37
Sears! or send me a message and I'll send you 2. please pay postage, I'm poor.

Coffee
09-22-2014, 17:48
Wal-Mart sells compactor bags but I've only been able to find scented bags. Not wanting a scented bag, last year I purchased a zPacks cuben liner with a rolltop closure for around $40. Obviously more expensive than a trash compactor bag ... but more durable and may be worth it for you. Something to consider.

Rocket Jones
09-22-2014, 17:57
Any hardware store should have them. Get the white ones, and definitely unscented.

I put the open compactor bag into my empty pack, then add all of my sleeping gear in first - quilt, pad, pillow and sleeping clothes. You can crunch most of the air out, then twist the top to close the bag. Next I double over the twisted 'tail' and secure it with a girl's pony band (stronger than a rubber band). Anything else that needs to be dry goes into ziplocs.

dangerdave
09-22-2014, 18:00
I use 3 mil construction trash bags in my garage. I'm going to shorten one and use it as a liner. Same weight and strength as a compactor bag, and unscented.

Who needs scented bags on a construction site? :)

12trysomething
09-22-2014, 19:18
I will offer this. Good luck.

http://youtu.be/HTTon3JunJY

Starchild
09-22-2014, 19:33
Just a note if you happen to get the scented ones, you can mitigate the scent by leaving them unrolled and open for a few days.

saltysack
09-22-2014, 20:08
Just a note if you happen to get the scented ones, you can mitigate the scent by leaving them unrolled and open for a few days.

Fresh scent might be a good buy..after few days on trail I staaaaaaank!

HooKooDooKu
09-22-2014, 21:16
Not the ones I bought from Wal-Mark the 1st time I tried this. I event went so far as to wash a few of the scented bags in the washing machine and still didn't do anything to lessen the smell.

That's why I now buy the Ace Hardware Store brand trash compactor bags; they are unscented. But for some reason, not every Ace Hardware Store stocks them.

overthinker
09-22-2014, 21:57
Anyway, to answer the original question:

I put my top and bottom quilt into the same stuff sack, which I then put into the bottom of the trash compactor bag. Then I pile my hammock, clothes, other dry stuff on top. Then, I gather the top of the compactor bag together in a fist and lean onto everything in the compactor bag, which slowly squeezes the air out. After that, I just quickly roll the top over a few times and jam the tail down in between the outside of the compactor bag and the inside of the backpack. Never had a problem with air in the bag.

Darwin13
09-23-2014, 02:04
So I just finished my PCT Thru hike and one of the biggest, glowingly positive gear reviews I will give, is for the off brand trash compactor bag I got at a regular grocery store. I used THE SAME trash bag from Campo to the Canadian border and there is not a single rip in the bag. Thats the entire trail, being used every day, so it is durable. I would stuff it into my pack, then stuff my 20 degree enlightened equipment quilt in the bottom with my neoair pad. i dont put my down in stuff sacks as i think it crushes the down, but also because I like that it will spread out and fill all the nooks and cranies at the bottom of the pack.

daddytwosticks
09-23-2014, 07:10
Over the past few years, I have ordered stuff from Gossamer Gear. When I do, I always purchase a couple of their plastic pack liners with my order. I don't know if they are as durable as trash compactor bags, but they get the job done. They typically last for a year or two of hikes for me. :)

July
09-23-2014, 08:06
Over the past few years, I have ordered stuff from Gossamer Gear. When I do, I always purchase a couple of their plastic pack liners with my order. I don't know if they are as durable as trash compactor bags, but they get the job done. They typically last for a year or two of hikes for me. :)
I use these also from time to time, still using smae pair for 3rd year (over1200 miles), just elephant roll and tuck...

saltysack
09-23-2014, 08:24
Am I the only one who solely uses a compactor bag and no pack cover? I use a ula circuit w compactor...never had any items get wet inside ...anything on outside of pack doesn't matter if wet or in ziplock...inc waist belt pockets..

bangorme
09-23-2014, 08:27
Am I the only one who solely uses a compactor bag and no pack cover? I use a ula circuit w compactor...never had any items get wet inside ...anything on outside of pack doesn't matter if wet or in ziplock...inc waist belt pockets..

I think that's what everyone is doing? Isn't that the function of a pack liner?

saltysack
09-23-2014, 08:28
Lots use both from what I've seen

Studlintsean
09-23-2014, 08:29

Same pack with same approach

saltysack
09-23-2014, 08:33
Even after lots of rain I never really notice any getting in my pack

bangorme
09-23-2014, 08:38
Well, maybe I misunderstood then. I see those as using the liner as conceding a "wet pack." That's what I'm going to try next year. I've never found a pack cover that kept my stuff dry and didn't come off all the time.

saltysack
09-23-2014, 08:42
Well, maybe I misunderstood then. I see those as using the liner as conceding a "wet pack." That's what I'm going to try next year. I've never found a pack cover that kept my stuff dry and didn't come off all the time.

That's what I heard years ago in regards to falling off and not really being effective....hence I've never even tried a pack cover....no reason to start now

CalebJ
09-23-2014, 08:59
I have tried a pack cover once or twice over the years and hated it. Since then I decide how much actually needs to be waterproofed and use a liner or individually pack accordingly. Usually there's very little that really needs to be protected.

garlic08
09-23-2014, 09:11
I've never had a problem packing in compactor bag. To the OP--is your bag synthetic or down? Mine is down and maybe it compresses better. Also, maybe my pack is large enough that I don't have to worry about every unit of volume.

HooKooDooKu
09-23-2014, 09:14
I stuff my sleeping bag inside the stuff sack that came with it. I then place the sleeping bag in the trash compactor bag "standing up". Next I pack my rolled up sleeping pad beside the sleeping bag. Then I stuff all my cloths around the sleeping equipment. I then fold the trash compactor bag in such a way to hopefully best avoid water being able to get inside the bag. On top of the bag I place gear that can get wet (like my cooking pot) and top it all off with my food bag.

HeartWalker
09-23-2014, 10:04
A rain cover can help from having a heavy waterlogged pack unless of course it's cuben.

saltysack
09-23-2014, 10:07
Even after hours of heavy rain my pack didn't seem to be watered down as the materials ula uses seen to shed most of water..of course u didn't weigh it so it's a possibility

Another Kevin
09-23-2014, 10:14
I use both. The liner is to protect my gear. The pack cover is because my pack cover weighs less than the water that would saturate the pack itself otherwise. A wet pack is a heavy pack.

It's even worse at the edges of winter. There was one trip last winter where I found myself knocking a half inch of ice off my pack cover. I don't know how much ice would have been clinging to the pack, considering how well the cover sheds water. Moreover, I have a down puffy and a down sleeping bag, and those must stay dry at all costs. The pack was a lot lighter once the ice was off it.

saltysack
09-23-2014, 10:31
I use both. The liner is to protect my gear. The pack cover is because my pack cover weighs less than the water that would saturate the pack itself otherwise. A wet pack is a heavy pack.

It's even worse at the edges of winter. There was one trip last winter where I found myself knocking a half inch of ice off my pack cover. I don't know how much ice would have been clinging to the pack, considering how well the cover sheds water. Moreover, I have a down puffy and a down sleeping bag, and those must stay dry at all costs. The pack was a lot lighter once the ice was off it.

What pack do u use? Mine doesn't seem to hold water

Another Kevin
09-23-2014, 10:40
My pack is, I admit, not of the best. It's an ALPS Mountaineering one from about 2006. But my daughter's Gregory also gets wet without a cover. It doesn't soak through either pack, but they are surely heavier after a couple of days of rain. And mine does accumulate ice if I'm out in winter weather without a cover on it. The liner is mostly a safety backup in case I should fall into water.