PDA

View Full Version : Another New Book - Thru-Hiking the CT

LeadZeppelin
09-22-2014, 18:50
Hey everyone! Just a quick note that I published a memoirs-style account of my 2014 Colorado Trail thru-hike (http://www.amazon.com/Exploring-Rockies-Thru-Hike-Colorado-Trail-ebook/dp/B00NRLDKGA/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1411419732&sr=1-1&keywords=colorado+trail+thru+hike).

Before I left on my trip I looked for books about thru-hiking the Colorado Trail and was surprised and disappointed that there were none. I would've bought and devoured them all if there were any! It seemed crazy actually, considering how many memoirs books there are about the AT and PCT.

And since I finished my hike, I noticed that cookerhiker published a memoir of his CT experience (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?104177-New-Book-Colorado-Trail-Thru-hike), which is awesome. I'm surprised that it's taken until 2014 for anyone to do this for the CT, but I'm glad that future hikers will have plenty of literature to prepare for their hikes.

My hike is interesting in that my mileage per day was usually in the high 20s. I think it offers a unique perspective because of that. I talk about the trials and tribulations of hiking the CT at a relatively fast pace, the wonderful and interesting (and weird) characters I met along the way, and everything in between. I tried to make the book focus around my experience on the trail, and I hope that comes across. If you finish it you should have a good idea of what to expect and experience when you're on the trail.

This isn't exactly a field guide to the CT. For example, I don't tell you where to get water, I just tell you where I screwed up and didn't bring enough water, and how that panned out.

While hiking, l had several major setbacks, and I talk about them throughout the book. I don't want to spoil anything, but let's just say that there are some surprises and some days were better than others!
Also, if you're a Kindle Unlimited subscriber, it's absolutely free, so that's cool! :banana

I hope you enjoy it!

Coffee
09-22-2014, 18:57
I'll take a look! When were you on the trail this year? I started July 28 and finished August 27.

LeadZeppelin
09-22-2014, 19:05
I would've been pretty far in front of you then. I hiked from July 12 to early August and I went by the name Zenny. I have dreadlocks halfway down my back so I was pretty hard to miss if anyone here saw me. :)

Cookerhiker
09-22-2014, 21:31
Congratulations! Is it only available on Kindle?

LeadZeppelin
09-22-2014, 22:05
Thank you! Unfortunately, it is. I just couldn't justify the headaches and hassle of a physical printing, with the almost certainty that I would end up losing money on the endeavor. It looks like your book is doing really well, but you've put in a lot of time traveling and speaking to promote it, which I unfortunately don't have time to do. :(

If anyone is wondering though, you can read the book even if you don't have a Kindle. There are Kindle apps for iOS and android devices, and even if you don't have either of those there's a free Kindle app for desktop you can use to read the book. So if you want to read it but don't have a Kindle, don't let that stop you!