PDA

View Full Version : What is you pack weight?

KillerKarma
09-23-2014, 19:26
I did my first section hike with a full pack (kind of) this weekend. My bf went with, so we split some of the gear between us. He had a much smaller pack. Mine weighed in around 29lbs. I'm just curious about how much you plan on carrying. I know this will change along the way. Just looking for an idea of where I want to start out. Thanks!!

SteelCut
09-23-2014, 19:42
My base weight is currently 16 lbs (which does not include food and water). I'm using a fairly heavy pack as I find that the ultra-light packs hurt my back. If I could find a lighter acceptable pack I could knock another 2 lbs off that weight.

swjohnsey
09-23-2014, 19:58
About 18 lbs with 3 days food and 1 liter of water.

KillerKarma
09-23-2014, 22:17
Do you know what the food and water usually adds on?

meat803
09-24-2014, 01:24
My base weight is currently 16 lbs (which does not include food and water). I'm using a fairly heavy pack as I find that the ultra-light packs hurt my back. If I could find a lighter acceptable pack I could knock another 2 lbs off that weight.

Have you tried an Osprey Exos?

Summer = 12 lbs base
Winter = 15 lbs

jimmyjam
09-24-2014, 06:52
my base weight is about 13.75 pounds currently.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Many Moons
09-24-2014, 07:08
32lbs. Out of town. Too heavy, but I am still learning. Hike On!!!

Miller

denefi
09-24-2014, 07:18
My sleeping bag, pad, tent and pack is at 9 pounds. I might shave a pound off by switching out the pack, but I need to see what other gear I get first. So, I guess, 9 pounds plus several more! I'm expecting to land somewhere in the 15 lb range sans water/food/fuel.

SteelCut
09-24-2014, 07:33
Have you tried an Osprey Exos?

Yes, I own the Exos 58 and this is the pack that I've switched away from. I like the trampoline back but hate the waist belt. I've had no problems after switching back to a pack with a better frame and a real waist belt. I'll happily add 1.5-2.0 lbs to my base weight in order to be more comfortable and pain free.

Deacon
09-24-2014, 07:57
Summer base weight at 9 pounds, but I had to spend a lot of money to get there. Most of my stuff is Zpacks cuben.

swjohnsey
09-24-2014, 08:29
Do you know what the food and water usually adds on?

For me about 8 lbs, 3 days food 6, 1 l water 2.

colorado_rob
09-24-2014, 08:52
Yes, I own the Exos 58 and this is the pack that I've switched away from. I like the trampoline back but hate the waist belt.Yep, horrible waist belt. The Exos was my go-to for a few years (the 46L), but then I "discovered" the ULA Ohm 2.0, lighter then the Exos and a real waist belt, so OP, check those out (ULA's) if you care to lighten up and still have a supportive pack. Talked about all the time on WB.

FWIW: My base weight, depending on time of year (spring - fall) is 10-12 pounds, but with some damn expensive gear (zpacks tent, WM sleeping bag).

SteelCut
09-24-2014, 09:03
Yep, horrible waist belt. The Exos was my go-to for a few years (the 46L), but then I "discovered" the ULA Ohm 2.0, lighter then the Exos and a real waist belt, so OP, check those out (ULA's) if you care to lighten up and still have a supportive pack. Talked about all the time on WB.

Thanks for the tip. I've researched the ULA packs but haven't actually used one. My reluctance to them is that I've heard they are really hot on your back. Any thoughts on that ??

colorado_rob
09-24-2014, 09:19
Thanks for the tip. I've researched the ULA packs but haven't actually used one. My reluctance to them is that I've heard they are really hot on your back. Any thoughts on that ??Well, it doesn't bother me at all. I tend to hike "cool" and don't sweat much, but we're all different in that aspect. Those Osprey mesh-backs are certainly nice in that aspect. WHY oh why does a great pack maker like Osprey have such a ridiculous waist belt on an other wise fine pack? Sigh.

rafe
09-24-2014, 09:27
Varies by season and the length of the trip. Base weight maybe 12-15 lbs. for midsummer, 15-18 for fall. With 3-4 days food and 2 liters water, probably 25 lbs. or so.

Praha4
09-24-2014, 09:31
my base weight for most 3-season hiking trips is ~ 13 lbs. Add food and water, which varies from day to day. usually with 2L water and 3-4 days food, my total pack weight is around 22-23 lbs.

KillerKarma
09-24-2014, 10:43
Okay. So the idea that I can get my full weight with food and water down to 25ish isn't completely crazy and isn't too crazy heavy compared to others it seems.

Feral Bill
09-24-2014, 11:14
On a recent trip, all up for four days, 32 lbs. That's without much attention to weight.

Coffee
09-24-2014, 11:46
Okay. So the idea that I can get my full weight with food and water down to 25ish isn't completely crazy and isn't too crazy heavy compared to others it seems.

I think that you will find that if your total pack weight is 25 pounds, you will be among the lightest of hikers actually on the trail. The number of ULers is very much overrepresented on White Blaze vs. the folks who actually seem to be on the trail. Over two weeks on the AT this spring, I only met a couple of hikers who had a pack weight much lower than mine (14 pound base weight plus avg of 6-8 pounds of consumables for total of 20-23 pounds). Same is true for my month on the Colorado Trial. Nearly everyone had a heavier pack and I'm definitely not a true UL backpacker.

KillerKarma
09-24-2014, 11:49
I don't consider myself to be UL at all, but felt like I was carrying much more than the SOBOers I saw out there. I did ok with 29lbs, but 25 would be awesome.

jred321
09-24-2014, 14:55
I expect to be in the 30lb range when I start, especially since I'll probably have a few extra items to deal with winter (will depend on what the year brings though). I have most of my gear but it will take a few more trips to get things finalized.

Also, here is a fun article about pack weight from an expert:
http://www.backpacker.com/trips/georgia/pack-man-the-appalachian-trail-guru/#bp=0/img1

By the Mountain Crossings method, the ideal load is 30 to 35 pounds, including food and water, for early spring conditions, or 25 to 30 pounds for summer, all stuffed into a 3,800-cubic-inch pack. - See more at: http://www.backpacker.com/trips/georgia/pack-man-the-appalachian-trail-guru/3/#bp=0/img1

sparky2000
09-24-2014, 21:15
Mac & cheese between towns - natural fire, wood chips. Small pot with handle and lid. 10 deg sb. emergency
tent. umbrella. long johns. swim suit. spork. small platypus. 3.5 lb. pack. keen sandels. 1 waterproof socks.
2 1/4 sock pairs. Sloppy old hat. undershirt. shorts. light wool sweater. cotton gloves. 8 lbs.

jjozgrunt
09-25-2014, 09:33
Also, here is a fun article about pack weight from an expert:
http://www.backpacker.com/trips/georgia/pack-man-the-appalachian-trail-guru/#bp=0/img1

By the Mountain Crossings method, the ideal load is 30 to 35 pounds, including food and water, for early spring conditions, or 25 to 30 pounds for summer, all stuffed into a 3,800-cubic-inch pack. - See more at: http://www.backpacker.com/trips/georgia/pack-man-the-appalachian-trail-guru/3/#bp=0/img1

I like that article and the suggested backing list on the last page. That's almost exactly what I am using for a 26 day jaunt through the aussie alpine region in Nov/Dec only I use a canister stove. Should be similar weather to the AT in March. Mines down to 27.3 lb with 5 days food and a couple of lts of water for that trip.

Dadburnet
09-25-2014, 09:51
I think that you will find that if your total pack weight is 25 pounds, you will be among the lightest of hikers actually on the trail. The number of ULers is very much overrepresented on White Blaze vs. the folks who actually seem to be on the trail. Over two weeks on the AT this spring, I only met a couple of hikers who had a pack weight much lower than mine (14 pound base weight plus avg of 6-8 pounds of consumables for total of 20-23 pounds). Same is true for my month on the Colorado Trial. Nearly everyone had a heavier pack and I'm definitely not a true UL backpacker. I could not agree more. I carry a white gas folding stove and about 1000 ml of white gas, six days of food,extra underwear,shirt and pair of sox,packable down,hat,gloves. I also carry at least 2-1/2 liters of water, with the provision to carry up to 4 liters if needed. I'm livin' large on the trail and my total is~ 27.5lbs. I'm a big guy ~240lbs. Could I save weight, absolutely. I enjoy a "comfy,safe" life on the trail and carry this weight with no problem. I forgot my umbrella and rain kilt! Could I go faster with less,absolutely again! Everyone is different!

KillerKarma
09-25-2014, 09:58
I pretty much figure that if it's going to help me complete the trail in some way it's worth at leaat considering the extra weight. I have a pad that I got a good deal on, but it's a little heavier than I'd like it to be. However, if I'm willing to carry extra weight in any "department" it's probably the sleep department. I feel like rest is super important and if I don't sleep well I'm not going to hike well.

I may not feel that way about something like an extra pot ot mug or something since I don't cook so much as boil water and I always have too much food as it is.

It's about choices.

Thanks again for all the continued input! I'll be tweaking my gear again and heading back out in the next week or two.

colorado_rob
09-25-2014, 10:09
People, my circle of friends included, tend to brag about carrying a relatively heavy pack and how they like their "comforts" in camp.... right up until the time they finally try some lightweight backpacking THEN they realize they have been wasting effort for years.

Try it once! doesn't have to be Ultralight, just lightweight, for a start. Lose the damn camp chairs, extra shoes, many changes of clothing, pots and pans, liquid fuel stoves, etc, etc, and try it.

I cannot describe how wonderful an experience it is to basically not even notice your pack on long backpacking trips (like the AT, CT, whatever). Imagine hiking along and not noticing your backpack and still having relative comfort at your camps? This is what I term "freedom of the hills" (stolen from a mountaineering book by that name, pretty much the Bible of mountain climbing).

Coffee
09-25-2014, 10:13
I cannot describe how wonderful an experience it is to basically not even notice your pack on long backpacking trips (like the AT, CT, whatever). Imagine hiking along and not noticing your backpack and still having relative comfort at your camps? This is what I term "freedom of the hills" (stolen from a mountaineering book by that name, pretty much the Bible of mountain climbing).

That breakpoint for me is below 20 pounds. Whether I'm at 16, 18, or 20, my enjoyment is pretty much the same. For me, 20 pounds is about where I'm at with my base weight, a liter of water and two days of food. 25 or below is still pretty good. The experience starts to degrade in the high 20s and goes downhill above 30.

I suspect this breakpoint will differ for hikers based on backpack, body weight, body type, and overall fitness.

colorado_rob
09-25-2014, 10:24
That breakpoint for me is below 20 pounds. Whether I'm at 16, 18, or 20, my enjoyment is pretty much the same. For me, 20 pounds is about where I'm at with my base weight, a liter of water and two days of food. 25 or below is still pretty good. The experience starts to degrade in the high 20s and goes downhill above 30. Very true, except below about 18 or so my pack isn't even noticeable, meaning if you can get a base around 12, you can carry a liter of water and 2-3 days of food and basically be "pack free". Definitely a point where pack weight starts to really not matter noticeably, which is why I haven't really pursued true UL (base weights less than 10 lbs).

colorado_rob
09-25-2014, 10:36
... The number of ULers is very much overrepresented on White Blaze vs. the folks who actually seem to be on the trail. Over two weeks on the AT this spring, I only met a couple of hikers who had a pack weight much lower than mine (14 pound base weight plus avg of 6-8 pounds of consumables for total of 20-23 pounds). Same is true for my month on the Colorado Trial. Nearly everyone had a heavier pack and I'm definitely not a true UL backpacker. True about the CT, at least from what I've seen. The CT packs I notice are very similar to the packs I noticed heading north on the AT in Georgia. Yikes!

BUT: I definitely disagree one aspect of your first statement, somewhat. Yes, early on the AT there are heavy packs all over the place. But up north, this just ain't true. We just completed a 100-mile hike of the whites along the AT, southbound, and counted 190 NOBO AT thru hikers in that one week, meaning we passed by a significant fraction of AT thru hikers that had made it that far. THIS group had relatively lightweight packs, many were UL. Lots and lots of ULA packs, for example, cuben fiber ponchos, trail runners, stoveless, etc. (not that I like being stoveless, I like my coffee, Coffee!).

Let's see.... lots of heavy packs in the south, mostly lightweight in the north heading north... Does this tell you something about pack weight increasing your odds of a successful AT thru hike???? Sure does. OK, so lots of heavyweight-thinkers have completed the trail. Great! I bet the percentage of completers correlates well with lightweight pack tendencies.

Yes KillerKarma, it is all about choices. You can choose to do some research, spend a little money and greatly increase your trail comfort, or you can listen to those that refuse to even think about modifying their Heavy Ways.

Most lightweight backpackers were once not lightweight. I sincerely doubt that many heavyweight backpackers were ever lightweight, meaning lightweight backpackers know the difference, heavyweight-ers don't. Who you going to listen to? Your choice!

Coffee
09-25-2014, 10:43
Let's see.... lots of heavy packs in the south, mostly lightweight in the north heading north... Does this tell you something about pack weight increasing your odds of a successful AT thru hike???? Sure does. OK, so lots of heavyweight-thinkers have completed the trail. Great! I bet the percentage of completers correlates well with lightweight pack tendencies.

That's very interesting and makes sense. It would be interesting to know how many of those lightweight thru hikers started out heavy and swapped into lighter gear as they headed north, or started out with light gear.

dangerdave
09-25-2014, 16:45
Great to see what kind of weight everybody is carrying. Being new to long distance hiking---and just receiving the last of my gear---I was concerned I was sliding towards the heavy (DARK) side. My spread sheet says I'm at 16.9 lbs with only a few personal items to add. I'll be under 20 lbs base, so 26-28 lbs fully provisioned. My goal was always under thirty.

Thank you, everyone!

fadedsun
09-25-2014, 17:02
My advice for new hikers, in regard to pack weight is: For no reason go over 30 pounds fully loaded. Carrying a 20-25 pound pack is very possible. Under 20 pounds is preferable if you can get there.

Speakeasy TN
09-25-2014, 18:31
Fully dressed Hennessy Deep Jungle in a ULA Catalyst is 16.25. I'm feeling good about that since it includes an oversized tarp and a neoair. That leaves a lot of room south of 30 lbs. Camp long johns to sleep in, down sweater, Jetboil still has me under 20.

ChuckT
09-25-2014, 19:47
I don't want to offend anyone but i just can't get past thinking about base weight as so much BS.
And I know this subject has been done to death.
It seems to me that the realistic way to plan is how heavy your whole kit is without water and food these two will vary by circumstance and experience.
Do a week hike with a 70 pound kit and you won't do it a second time. Do a week hike with a vapor ware kit of 20 pounds or less and you probably will not do that again either! Don't ask me how I know.

"Macgyver"
09-25-2014, 19:53
I hike with my wife and so I carry a majority of the weight. We have a two person tent and cookware for two as well. When we leave out for a section hike my pack will start out with as much as 39 pounds fully loaded with food and water.

Del Q
09-25-2014, 20:03
I am at about 30lbs with days worth of food, water and some whiskey.

Not passing any judgment here but in April I was at Uncle Johnnies ending my section hike............thru hikers were putting their packs on the scale before they hiked north...........38 lbs was the LOWEST. 48lbs the heaviest.

Really?

To me sub 30 with a full load of water and food is a great place to be, eat your way to a lighter pack then resupply

dangerdave
09-25-2014, 20:17
I've been through a lot of outdoor sports in my life. Trends or phases where I have been deep into kayaking, mountain biking, snowboarding (which I adore!), ATVing, etc. All of these are individualized recreations, not team sports. From reading posts here, and dozens of books, I have come to realize that hiking is no different. A whitewater kayaker paddles the boat that he/she has the way that they want. There is no right or wrong way, just your way for you. The same goes for all the sports I listed. Snowboarders use different boards---long, short, wide---with different bindings and boots. And so in hiking.

I know that we all know this. HYOH is the mantra of every hiker everywhere. Find what works for you and do it. Within certain logical parameters for safety (as in any sport), there is no right or wrong way. No "better way", dreamed up by anyone else, to do what is right for you once you've found it. Everyone hiking will find the balance of comfort and convenience, weight and expense.

And yet, in spite of universal acceptance of this axiom, when the subject of pack weight comes up, self-superiority rears it's ugly head. The SUL's will claim they are better off carrying less, and the heavy weights will state with surety that they are better off with more.

And round and round we go once again!

MuddyWaters
09-25-2014, 22:48
I really prefer under 20. I like not noticing my pack. Normal 3 season, usually about 20-21 with 5 day food and 2 l water

Sclark9082
10-11-2014, 17:28
well...as much as I have tried t get under 35 lbs....it's not. Will start in what will most likely be a cold pre-spring in 2015...looking at 40 lbs. I had most of my gear, and did not want to spend more to re-outfit. So enduring the 45 - 60 days of heavy cold weather gear. oh well. Won't make or break the deal. I start on March 2, from Springer. Doing the Approach Trail

q-tip
10-12-2014, 16:43
I have a number of gear spreadsheets for 3-season, light 3-season, and ultralight. The base weights are between 11-15 lbs. If interested, please send me you email in a pm and I will forward.

the goat
10-13-2014, 18:42
55lbs all seasons except winter & i wouldn't change a thing.

mattjv89
10-13-2014, 20:52
Currently an 18 base for 3 season, might squeak it just under 17 but there's not a lot of room left for change without sacrifices I don't want to make. Might tip it over the 20lb line for the early march starting kit, that's still being worked out

Trance
10-14-2014, 09:17
I've hiked over 700 miles on the trail.

I carry approx 35 pounds. That includes 6-7 days of food, all the sleeping essentials, tent, and a jetboil stove 128oz of water too in my nalagene canteen.

Trance
10-14-2014, 09:18
Also, I weigh 190 pounds, 6ft..... if that makes a difference.

lonehiker
10-14-2014, 09:31
I don't want to offend anyone but i just can't get past thinking about base weight as so much BS.

It seems to me that the realistic way to plan is how heavy your whole kit is without water and food these two will vary by circumstance and experience.

What do you think base weight is? It is your whole kit without water and food (well throw fuel in there as well)....

colorado_rob
10-14-2014, 10:53
Do a week hike with a 70 pound kit and you won't do it a second time. Do a week hike with a vapor ware kit of 20 pounds or less and you probably will not do that again either! Don't ask me how I know. I certainly agree with your first point, that's the tragedy of folks carrying so much junk and instantly getting turned off on this most-fantastic pastime/hobby. As for your second point, My wife and I just did a 100 miles in a week in the White mountains in NH, carrying 20 pound packs including food; 11 pound base weights and 5 days of food (who needs 7 days of food when there is food along the way?). Fantastic, and yes, we do this all the time, repeating our "mistake" of carrying "vapor ware" (completely and fully equipped).

freightliner
10-14-2014, 14:56
I think it is great that you all are taking your pack weight seriously. The things that I have seen through the years that people have carried just cracks me up. Last year there was a couple of northbound thru hikers that stands out in my mind. I met them in Vermont as I was heading south and they were actually carrying their weed in glass jars with steel lids and these big glass bongs. I never say anything nor do I laugh but it does amuse me when I'm at camp. Right now I'm at 18 pounds base weight but that usually changes when I hit the trail because before I go I usually lay everything out and give everything a hard thought whether I needed or not before I put it back in the pack. Usually some things stay home. With that said when I'm on the trail my pack usually weighs about 50 pounds with food and water. There's usually a half a pound of butter half a pound of cheese some hummus bagels cream cheese dozen candy bars a bag of cookies I mean I got the stuff to make smiles.

mdbamabrad
10-15-2014, 12:33
When I first started I walked 3 days with a high 50's bag. Destroyed my knees for a week.

Joe Rogowski
10-17-2014, 12:27
i am at 16 without food or water so with 2 liters of water and i think about 8 to 10 lbs of food 5 days ill be at a max of 30 lbs on the first day after resupply and that's like 1/8th of my weight so not bad at all.

freightliner
10-24-2014, 15:10
I just finished my gear list of thing I'm going to take next year. http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=21218 I hope I did the link right. Take a look and be my Devils Advocate. I think I got everything I need to be happy healthy and warm.

Treton
10-26-2014, 20:33
20.5 with fuel and two liters of water. For a 3.5-4 day.

squeezebox
10-27-2014, 02:48
I think skin-out is the most accurate standard. It's too easy for one person to say " Well i"m going to wear that often so i won"t add it to pack wt" where another person would add it to pack wt. If you are wearing it you're still carrying it.
So let's talk skin-out please.

Jake27
10-27-2014, 22:41
Haha I'm with you, took me 2 years to get all my ZPacks stuff. I have everything of there's execpt the sleeping bag I found the custom quilts from hammock gear is lighter.But my winter setup is 10lbs and Summer is just under 9lbs.

MuddyWaters
10-27-2014, 23:26
Do a week hike with a 70 pound kit and you won't do it a second time. Do a week hike with a vapor ware kit of 20 pounds or less and you probably will not do that again either! Don't ask me how I know.

Agree with the 70 but you are way off with the rest. My base at might be around 7 lb much of year, but includes everything I need and want. If I had cheaper heavier gear, it might only be 10 to 11 lbs. I honestly cannot ever see carrying anything that I know from experience that I don't need for the conditions. You simply don't need that much, and what you do need has been worked out to a science by others before you.

Havana
10-29-2014, 11:02
For a weekend trip I'm usually at around 30 all in. I'm swapping out my sleep system for lighter weight gear (Xlite pad & Montbell bag) which should get me reliably below 30 including 3 days of food and a liter of water. As someone else pointed out there are folks with much heavier packs out there. I would say if you can get to 30 the trail will tell you how to get lighter. The one place I haven't moved off is my pack. My Osprey Kestrel is at least a pound heavier than alternatives but I very much like the pack and I'm not swapping it out. At least not yet. :)

misprof
10-29-2014, 11:29
My current summer base weight is 9lbs. Using REI garage sales, youtube DIY and an oriental 5 and dime, other than my sleeping bag and my pack total cost of that albs is under 45 dollars.

Riocielo
10-29-2014, 11:33
Hubby and I just finished our first section hike -- actually our first hike ever. Our packs were 25 and 24 lbs each fully loaded.

We rented the big 3, since we weren't sure we would like hiking (we did), so we didn't have a lot of choice weight-wise. I learned so much from this forum before we left, and of course, we learned a lot on the trail, too.

misprof
10-29-2014, 11:33
I think skin-out is the most accurate standard. It's too easy for one person to say " Well i"m going to wear that often so i won"t add it to pack wt" where another person would add it to pack wt. If you are wearing it you're still carrying it.
So let's talk skin-out please.
Ok so from skin out my 9lbs base goes to 11.5 during the summer because of my boots are 11oz each. But then I hike hot. At 50 degrees I am in leotard shorts and a tank top and my hat.