PDA

View Full Version : Pillow for stomach sleeper

saltysack
09-23-2014, 20:58
I'm in dire need of a good light pillow set up...in the past I've stuffed my dirty wet pants & shirt in the stuff sack that came w my marmot helium down bag but just doesn't cut it...not comfortable as if don't really bring xtra cloths that aren't being worn..I wear base layer w my montbell ul down parka to sleep and my pup gets my rain/wind shell over his down vest/sleeping bag... Therefore no extra cloths to make a decent pillow. I've tried the cocoon hyperlight inflate able but just not comfortable for stomach sleeper..no I didn't fill to max capacity....looking at the goose feet gear set up where u add the exped ul pillow to a down covered stuff sack.....but very pricy....$55 for exped air pillow then. $41 for down sack....$100 for pillow... I can swallow that!! Any advise or opinions? I'm all ears..thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just Bill
09-23-2014, 21:23
I put my water bladders into a shirt or stuff sack- and often sleep on my stomach/side.
Even alone- 3L bladder with a cap weighs an ounce or so.

You can also blow up a few Ziploc bags and make a nice pillow.

saltysack
09-23-2014, 21:29
Forgot about using them ... I'll try that... Sawyer bags seem weak but will give a shot and no xtra weight ...use my buff as a pillow case

bmanice
10-29-2014, 19:00
I love this idea, never even thought about doing that! add some of your extra clothes and you have a pretty comfy woods bed.

Slo-go'en
10-29-2014, 19:38
I bought a yard of very thin fleece material and sewed my own pillow case. Basically a fleece stuff sack, as I put a string around the open end to cinch it closed. Finally got to use the $5 sewing machine I bought at a thrift store :)

I stuff it with my jacket or other clothes. Now I have a nice soft pillow to lay my head on instead of a nylon stuff sack. Well worth the extra ounce or two.

July
10-29-2014, 19:44
I've had some pretty good experience with this one http://bigskyproducts.com/Big-Sky-DreamSleeper-Deluxe-inflatable-pillow.aspx

saltysack
10-29-2014, 20:32
I've had some pretty good experience with this one http://bigskyproducts.com/Big-Sky-DreamSleeper-Deluxe-inflatable-pillow.aspx

I've tried most inflatables out there with no real success....looks like I have yet another to try...I just never have clothes or jacket to fill enough of stuff sack cause the dog covers w them....don't want to smell my stinky damp hiking shirt or pants while trying to sleep...

July
10-29-2014, 20:46
I've tried most inflatables out there with no real success....looks like I have yet another to try...I just never have clothes or jacket to fill enough of stuff sack cause the dog covers w them....don't want to smell my stinky damp hiking shirt or pants while trying to sleep...

I hear you, years ago when I traveled with more clothes, I stuffed them in a sack. These days ie 3 season, if its cold, I wearin everything but the buff and it is the pillowcase :) The exped and big sky have given me some some good nights sleep, keep in mind the firmness can be adjusted which is nice. I sure could not sleep on them blown up to full firmness, I just bleed them a little to what is comfortable for me. Also a sidenote, when sleeping on your stomach, means your neck/cervical spine is rotated rt/lt while in this belly position. This can tend to be irritating after a while. I try to stay side or back sleeping.

MuddyWaters
10-29-2014, 21:31
you don't have gloves, gaiters, spare socks, rain gear, zip off pant bottoms, bandana, either??

I stay on side or back, tips of shoes under pad to incline and cradle the head, and don't need a pillow at all. But whatever spare I have goes into mesh sack and is used as one. Never found need for anything else. If its not really cold and I have puffy or fleece, so much the better.

If a sil or cuben sack is used, leaves or grass can also be used.

saltysack
10-29-2014, 21:38
Wear gloves to sleep, no gaiters, pants usually damp, no rain pants....last week did use my 2l sawyer squeeze bladder inside my sleeping bag stuff sack w a buff over it....not bad...trying to start side sleeping more....

lynn523
10-29-2014, 21:54
This summer I decided to experiment with cheap inflatable swim toys, partially inflated and stuffed into various stuff sacks. I tried a beach ball (just wrapped in a shirt), a toddler swim ring, and toddler arm bands. All worked really well , but in the end, I ended up settling on a partially inflated swim ring that I folded over on itself (to give some height). I crammed it into my sleeping bag stuff sack, cinching the drawstring down firmly on the part that stuck out the end, and wrapped the whole thing in my cleanest shirt. It was perfect height and nestled my head very well.
Since I roll onto my side a lot and need more pillow height for that, I just kept another stuff sack filled with clothes by my head and doubled the two when I rolled onto my side. When I rolled back to my stomach, i just nudged the 2nd pillow aside. I'm a really light sleeper who tosses and turns thru the night, and this was by far the best pillow arrangement I've ever found. Best of all, the swim ring only set me back about $2, weighs almost nothing (the cheaper the ring the lighter the weight), and is easy to replace throughout the summer months.

Allshookup
10-30-2014, 15:57
I have the Sea to Summit Aeros Premium Pillow - regular and it is wonderful! It comes in at 2.9oz.

http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/232

quasarr
10-31-2014, 06:15
This summer I decided to experiment with cheap inflatable swim toys, partially inflated and stuffed into various stuff sacks. I tried a beach ball (just wrapped in a shirt), a toddler swim ring, and toddler arm bands. All worked really well , but in the end, I ended up settling on a partially inflated swim ring that I folded over on itself (to give some height). I crammed it into my sleeping bag stuff sack, cinching the drawstring down firmly on the part that stuck out the end, and wrapped the whole thing in my cleanest shirt. It was perfect height and nestled my head very well.

WOW this is a cool idea!! I have used the water bladder method as suggested by Just Bill, but the problem is if you actually need the water you can't sleep on it because it is too cold. Plus with the swim ring you can maybe get some laughs when you show it off. Or use it at a swimming hole :D