PDA

View Full Version : Best mobile carrier for TN/NC section hike?

Sodium
09-24-2014, 13:27
I'm taking my first steps on the AT next month :) a southbound section hike from near Erwin, TN to the northern boundary of GSMNP.

Coming from the UK I have a 3G phone that I'd like to use for text messages and mobile data. Can anyone recommend a cheap prepaid SIM that I can use in my phone please? Is there a particular carrier I should be looking at for mobile data on that part of the AT, or am I unlikely to get a signal unless I go into towns?

Many thanks

bigcranky
09-24-2014, 14:26
Assuming it's GSM, the only choices are AT&T and T-Mobile in the US. We have T-Mobile and the coverage is the worst I've ever experienced - I have no service on my campus, or in my basement (two locations where Verizon has great service), let alone in the mountains. That leaves AT&T. When we did a month in Vermont this summer, I activated my old Verizon iPhone 4 and had good coverage in most places; my wife had zero coverage from T-Mobile on the trail.

You can buy a sim card at Walmart (Smart Talk brand) and get smart phone service for $45/month, pretty much unlimited. Make sure you get the AT&T sim. Also be aware that our mobile system is set up so it's NOT easy to switch carriers with the same phone.

Might be cheaper and easier to buy a Verizon handset at Walmart (not a smartphone) and buy a month of service for cheap. Better mountain service.

Alleghanian Orogeny
09-24-2014, 15:10
Sodium,

I've had good service from Verizon in that area both on and nearby off-AT areas. Seems a bit elevation-sensitive between Hot Springs and I-40, but less so from Erwin to Hot Springs. Excepting the descent to and ascent from Hot Springs, then again the descent to I-40 along the Pigeon River, you're running ridges all the way from the climb out of Erwin to I-40.

AO

misterfloyd
09-24-2014, 17:02
AT&T

Davenport gap got a call to Standing Bear. Nothing in Hot Springs, had to borrow a verizon phone. In the mountains nothing. I-40 got a signal through. Erwin no problem.

I only use a phone to check in at resupply trail towns. I never use them in the mountains anyhow.

Floyd

Ground Control
09-24-2014, 19:32
A friend and I have hiked roughly half of the NC/TN miles. He has Verizon, I have AT & T.

Verizon coverage is much, much better.

MuddyWaters
09-24-2014, 22:30
Verizon.
Stop at Walmart and get cheapest Verizon prepaid phone, its $15.
Put time on it as you need using credit card, you just dial up. $15 of air time lasts me a month, texts are about $0.10 or 0.25 each or so I think with most basic plan

illabelle
09-25-2014, 05:51
Husband and I have AT&T. Poor coverage in the TN/NC mountains. Have often been told that Verizon is pretty good. Unfortunately Verizon has poor coverage at our home, or that's what we'd use.

Sodium
09-25-2014, 07:37
Many thanks for all the advice. I'll be checking out Walmart when I arrive.

Got the choice down to either bring my existing GSM smartphone and buy a StraightTalk SIM card $6.99 + 1 month plan $30.
Or use the Verizon CDMA network with a disposable TracFone $9.98 + 60 mins card $19.98.

bigcranky
09-25-2014, 08:53
Yeah, given my experience, I'd get the disposable Verizon phone. That will increase the odds of getting some service out in the mountains.

Just Bill
09-25-2014, 11:07
In town, in Hot Springs itself, for some reason AT&T is the only provider that works. That is the only exception to the excellent coverage by Verizon.
T-Mobile sucks for hikers.

ScottTrip
09-25-2014, 12:08
I had AT&T and it was terrible not until Northern Virginia did I get any good service. I would see the Cell tower in may instances and still No Service. I would be in a shelter the other hikers with Verizon were browsing internet and updating Facebook, I could not get any service. Now once I reached the Norther Virginia everything was fine the remaining of the hike.

Just Bill
09-25-2014, 12:29
Not that relevant to the OP, but now all the carriers, including Verizon offer a no-contract option (why I went T-Mobile originally).

YMMV, I did experiment with some of the prepaid phones (Boost mainly) I was not happy with the experience and had frequent dropped calls even at home. A friend working for US cellular said that some of the off carrier traffic gets dumped when needed to accommodate customers using the "flagship" brand, even when the same company is providing the service (like Boost/Sprint/cricket). Something to consider, but I personally won't go with the off brand phones again. No biggie in town, but when you sit down to check in with the wife and family it sucks. I was able to borrow phones from others when needed, but nothing irks me more than carrying something I don't like to carry and not have it work when the savings is only a few bucks a month.

To the OP-
I would suggest buying a cheapie phone here, for the $40 or less at least you know for a fact that it will work here. And have a physical retailer like Wally World to go to if there is an issue.

misterfloyd
09-25-2014, 20:53
I was looking at the post and it looked like I was suggesting AT&T

No.

I would get verizon as well. I'm stuck with AT&T because I have a landline. Verizon is much better at home, work, or mountains.
Floyd