PDA

View Full Version : Homemade stove tinkerers - FEEL PROUD!

SGT Rock
10-14-2005, 09:24
To all you homemade stove tinkerers, we all have something to feel proud of. I just got a e-mail yesterday from AIDG group which has a NGO providing relief in Guatemala from a hurricane, you can read all that below. Anyway, we all know that we bounce ideas off each other and every design incorporates a few ideas picked up from looking how others did stuff. Here is the e-mail:

Dear Sgt. Rock,

I wanted to thank you for posting the clearest most concise pepsi can stove instructions on the web. I run an NGO in Guatemala and in response to the massive destruction from hurricane Stan we have begun producing a more "cat stove" like stove for emergency stove kits (we probably would have produced an ion stove, but this was faster to make). These have been incredibly helpful to displaced families in communities with little government aid. We have included with the stove kits a translated, condensed version of your ion stove instructions (with full credit to you of course). People have begun disseminating these pages in emergency shelters to begin manufacturing their own stoves. The you again for posting such clear concise instructions with simple, easy to read diagrams. Even though many of these people have never used the Internet I can assure you they are grateful to you for creating your website.

Sincerely,

Peter Haas
CEO - Lead Tech
AIDG inc.
6-53 1 ave A Quetzaltenango, Guatemala

Anyway, like I said, I consider it a credit to all the stove tinkerers out there. The designs they used were not mine either in part of in whole, just the designs I tried to develop clear instructions for building. And even the deigns I consider in are all inspired, prototypes, and tested by y'all. Something to note too, I looked at their website and the design is something I played with, but isn't even one of my standard types, but a conclomeration of a few different ideas doen in their own style. I guess for me it is nice to know that the effort has a good use other than the sport of backpacking.

Spartan Hiker
10-14-2005, 09:59
That's good stuff.

Kerosene
10-14-2005, 10:09
It is interesting that a lot of the technology, preparedness, skills, equipment, and creativity we apply to our backpacking hobby are quite valuable in emergency situations. It is also notable that clear, concise instructions with pictures and examples are worth their weight in gold.

Rain Man
10-14-2005, 10:30
Three cheers!!!

I have actually thought of throwing a soda-can stove in my trunk on winter trips. Could always have hot chocolate if my truck skids down a ravine into a snow bank. LOL

But all humor aside, it is somehow rewarding to think something so helpful to people desperately in need has come from our hobbies. Good for you, SGT Rock!

Rain:sunMan

Streamweaver
10-14-2005, 10:45
Yeah ,let em laugh about our little can stoves now!!! :banana :clap :bse

blytz
10-14-2005, 18:06
SWEET! That's good stuff!

titanium_hiker
10-15-2005, 14:54
Yeah ,let em laugh about our little can stoves now!!! :banana :clap :bse lol!! really. very funny.

cool- Sgt Rock- I'm glad you pioneers helped to make a difference.

titanium

vipahman
10-28-2005, 09:50
Awesome. My backpack (with contents) is actually part of my disaster plan if I need to evacuate. In the north-east, that would most likely be for a terrorist attack.

One Leg
10-28-2005, 10:43
Oh Gawd...... Just what we need: Another NCO with the big head......

Congratulations to you, Sir Sgt. Rock... Your hard work has paid off. What's next? A book? Movie deal? Title for your new book "Unlikely Angel of the Garage Tinkerers" with a forward by Ashley Smith, who used your stove to cook her meth on to share with Atlanta courthouse shooter, Brian Nichols as they read "The Purpose Driven Life" and prayed together.

(You know I'm kidding, Rock........ You're da bomb!)

SGT Rock
10-28-2005, 11:44
Naw. I'm looking for a Jim Beam alcohol stove endorsement. I hope to get them to make me a drinkable stove fuel from their mash...

Mmmmmm.

Spartan Hiker
10-28-2005, 11:46
Naw. I'm looking for a Jim Beam alcohol stove endorsement. I hope to get them to make me a drinkable stove fuel from their mash...

Mmmmmm.I predict many a cold meal. Of course, that won't matter if you're drinkin' the fuel...

SGT Rock
10-28-2005, 11:49
Good point. Good drink costs too much to burn. Alcohol fuel is cheap and there is no need for that dual use when it already has others like:

Muscle Relaxant
Snake Bite medicine
Hangover cure
disinfectant
water treatment
and many, many more...

One Leg
10-28-2005, 12:06

Mmmmmm.

Why not go for Everclear?

SGT Rock
10-28-2005, 14:35
Because I like the taste of JimBeam. Duh.