PDA

View Full Version : Trading goods on the trail?

GoodKarmaMike
09-25-2014, 02:28
Was wondering if people ever trade goods on the trail. I am planning on having an abundance of jerk on me and dont think i will be consuming all it, so i was thinking i may be able to trade for other food so i dont get tired of eating the same stuff.

If u have traded good on the trail what kind of stuff have u traded for?

Rocket Jones
09-25-2014, 06:08
If you're not going to eat all of it, why carry it?

Starchild
09-25-2014, 08:40
On the trail it is more of a 'karmic exchange' then direct trading, one gives when they can and gets as they need. The saying 'the trail will provide' comes from this almost magical method of resupply balance that seems to be assisting the hikers.

With that said some direct exchanges happen, but it's more of a thank you for what is being offered and received.

Slo-go'en
09-25-2014, 08:44
Hikers do share food on occasion, mostly with-in a group. This can lead to spreading things like the Noro virus if you let people put their hands in your bag of jerky or if you put your hand in their bag of gorp.

Pedaling Fool
09-25-2014, 08:49
Trading happens, but it's not typical. Then you got the hiker boxes, but usually just junk in there, but if you like oatmeal, then you're set:D

BirdShooter
09-25-2014, 09:16
Airline bottles of liquor are great for Trail barter (and consumption). [emoji199]

Just Bill
09-25-2014, 11:05
Hikers do share food on occasion, mostly with-in a group. This can lead to spreading things like the Noro virus if you let people put their hands in your bag of jerky or if you put your hand in their bag of gorp.

Avoid reaching into anyone's nut sack. :)

garlic08
09-25-2014, 11:39
Trades I've made are generally spur of the moment--"Hey, thanks for that. Can you use some of this--I got plenty?" I once traded a open set of Aquamira bottles for a pot of kung pao chicken. I once met a hiker short on funds who was offering to sell some high quality health food store dried fruit (he said, "I should have known it would taste like poop--it came from a healthy store") and I paid him more than it was worth because I'd been hiking with him for a few days and it was apparent he was a generous soul down on his luck--the "karmic exchange" thing.

I tend to stay away from home-dried and home-packaged food that's offered or in hiker boxes, or even open packages of stuff. Depends on how hungry I am.

RockDoc
09-25-2014, 13:39
trail currency = snicker's bars

Dogwood
09-25-2014, 14:08
On the AT in 06 I met someone with an abundance of homemade beef jerky he was trading for other food.

Yes, trading( and giving) sometimes happens but in my experience it's usually spontaneous and I would say it often involves food. I will not say what I've seen more than two or three hikes sell/trade on their hikes with two different hikers significantly supplementing their trail budgets this way.

TD55
09-25-2014, 14:12
Cig's if you don't smoke and won't be tempted to start. They will bring you double the value of what you payed for them. Also, coffee can get you some unexpected treats from folks who didn't bring any and are envious when they see you making some.

Old Hiker
09-25-2014, 14:40
I traded a massively heavy $10 bill for an ultra-light weight 4 oz fuel canister in the Smokies.

Other than that, I usually eat ALL of what I make and buy just enough for my needs. Seems to work better that way for me. I don't PLAN on trading anything. It may happen, though.

fadedsun
09-25-2014, 16:01
Packing along trade goods doesn't seem very feasible. Most folks only pack what they need and don't have anything to trade back to you. You may do better mailing it to various maildrops that you can pick up as you go. Then you can either take it with you on the next leg of your hike or trade it to other hikers in town for other goods/services. You might even find that you gain more satisfaction from giving it away to other folks who appreciate it as you go.

Speakeasy TN
09-25-2014, 16:41

EASY BILL! I just about spit Coke on the keyboard! :)

Pony
09-25-2014, 18:37
Cig's if you don't smoke and won't be tempted to start. They will bring you double the value of what you payed for them. Also, coffee can get you some unexpected treats from folks who didn't bring any and are envious when they see you making some.

I am a coffee drinker. 2-3 cups in the morning, 1-2 cups in the afternoon at some point. On the trail, my first town stop was to get a cup of coffee, especially in New England where I could get some Green Mountain coffee. I frequently hitched into town just to drink some coffee and sit out front of the local general store and talk to locals. I carried a press until Waynesboro but then sent a lot of stuff home, including the press. I have frequently bartered items for coffee. Most of the time if you "need" something on the trail, somebody will give it to you and not expect anything in return. Wanting something is a different story. While I needed a cup of coffee, I never "needed" a cup of coffee. I have also bartered for filtered cigarettes. Food is usually given. Sometimes food is shared but typically nothing is expected in return. Soooo...... If you intend to barter with people, take items that they have trouble finding on the trail; Coffee, tobacco, tobacco rolling papers, beer, liquor, etc. If your intent is to sell items, the TOS prohibits you from discussing that on this forum. ;)

kayak karl
09-25-2014, 18:52
many times i would get a care package way too big. i would take out what i wanted (home baked goods :)) and give away the rest. later on the favor would be returned.
some people are just takers and you will find out who they are real quick.
if someone approached me to barter....i think that would affect my feeling towards them negatively.....maybe :-?

likeahike
09-25-2014, 21:15
first hand experience?

rocketsocks
09-25-2014, 21:51
many times i would get a care package way too big. i would take out what i wanted (home baked goods :)) and give away the rest. later on the favor would be returned.
some people are just takers and you will find out who they are real quick.
if someone approached me to barter....i think that would affect my feeling towards them negatively.....maybe :-?I agree with ya, if you need somethin, and I have it to part with, it's yours...way of the trail.

rocketsocks
09-25-2014, 21:54
EASY BILL! I just about spit Coke on the keyboard! :)
Consider yer self lucky, I was eatin' oatmeal. :D

saltysack
09-26-2014, 12:10

Haaaaaa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk