PDA

View Full Version : Daleville's Dangerous Intersection

Deacon
09-25-2014, 09:28
I'm looking at the map of Daleville Va. In AWOL's Guide, and I see that I-81 run pretty much splits the town in half. The AT runs along the west side, but many services are on the east side.

It looks like the one way to cross is where Rt. 220 goes under I-81. AWOL says walking that intersection is not advised. Is it really that dangerous or should one always get a ride across? Who's walked it, and would you do it again?

ScottTrip
09-25-2014, 10:28
Yes it is a dangerous intersection. That being said I walked it 2 days in a row to get to McDonalds.... You just need to be very watchful especially when you cross the lanes that lead to the interstate.

jimmyjam
09-25-2014, 10:36
there is a busy truck stop at that intersection. but from where the trail hits the road turn left (nobo )
and 200 yards there is an outfitter, kroger and wendys.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Odd Man Out
09-25-2014, 10:44
Here is the Google Maps Street view of the crossing. Not very pedestrian friendly. I was there in July, but had a shuttle driver so didn't have to get around town on foot. If you go west instead of east, the walking is very easy and you get to the large shopping plaza with a Krogers, restaurants, fast food, outfitter, bank, etc...

Coffee
09-25-2014, 10:45
I used to drive the I81 corridor frequently on trips to Tennessee and my habit was to stop for gas at that interchange. It is definitely dangerous. There are few pedestrians and drivers won't be expecting pedestrians. I would try to avoid it on foot.

Praha4
09-25-2014, 10:46
Deacon, most everything you would need is on the west side where the AT crosses Rt 220., within walking distance. The Kroger shopping mall is a short walk down the highway, there's lots of fast food, an outfitter, and motels right there where the AT crosses the hiway. I saw no need at all to try to navigate my way down under that I-81 overpass, unless you have to visit the McDonalds.

Lone Wolf
09-25-2014, 12:29
I'm looking at the map of Daleville Va. In AWOL's Guide, and I see that I-81 run pretty much splits the town in half. The AT runs along the west side, but many services are on the east side.

It looks like the one way to cross is where Rt. 220 goes under I-81. AWOL says walking that intersection is not advised. Is it really that dangerous or should one always get a ride across? Who's walked it, and would you do it again?
back in the day the AT went that way and you road walked for a coupla miles. it's not that dangerous. just pay attention

CalebJ
09-25-2014, 12:35
You definitely don't have to deal with anything I-81 related there. Just cross 220 when traffic is light. No big deal, just remember to look both ways. It's a busy road, but very manageable.

GoldenBear
09-25-2014, 12:53
> Is it really that dangerous or should one always get a ride across?

You can walk it IF you are careful, attentive, and patient.
Check out Google Earth and you'll see that there's no sidewalk, and not much of a shoulder, as Highway 220 goes underneath I-81. 220 is a heavily traveled road, and cars are usually going fairly quickly. At the entrance ramps, drivers will be accelerating and (almost certainly) not very patient with pedestrians getting in their way. Doing this walk is NOT for those who expect cars to stop or to even slow down just because you walk in front of them.

It WILL take awhile, but you can make this walk IF you wait until NO vehicles are traveling where you want to cross the asphalt, and move as far away from the flow of traffic as you can.

At the point where the A.T. crosses Highway 220, you are much closer to the Wendy's and Kroger than to the McDonalds and truck stops on the other side of I-81. Other than the AYCE at Shoney's, I can't think of a good reason to make the trek under I-81.

Odd Man Out
09-26-2014, 09:44
Here is the Google Maps Street view of the crossing. Not very pedestrian friendly. I was there in July, but had a shuttle driver so didn't have to get around town on foot. If you go west instead of east, the walking is very easy and you get to the large shopping plaza with a Krogers, restaurants, fast food, outfitter, bank, etc...

forgot the pic

Malto
09-26-2014, 10:28
It seemed pretty straight-forward to me. There a short little road walk section north of SNP where a cop car came screaming around the corner causing to quick dive off the road. Daleville wasn't even memorable.

jimmyjam
09-26-2014, 13:12
forgot the pic

all you gotta do is tight rope walk the jersey barrier, what's the big deal? but seriously, unless you are looking for a motel, there is no need to walk in that direction. going nobo turn left when your feet hit the pavement.

CalebJ
09-26-2014, 13:25
There's no clear reason why you couldn't just walk on the outside of the barrier if you really need to get under the interstate. That said, I agree with all the other posts about not having much need to cross. Unless you're really looking for Cracker Barrel, Golden Corral, etc., then you're better off hooking to the left. Groceries, hotel, coffee shop, outdoor supplier, restaurants, etc can all be found in < .5 mile that direction.