PDA

View Full Version : Eating Container Question

jred321
09-25-2014, 15:32
This seems like a dumb question which will hopefully mean it is easy to answer. I see all over the place that instant oatmeal is a common breakfast and the Lipton/whatever sides are a common dinner item. Then I also see that people say they use their cooking pot for nothing but boiling water. So the question is, if you don't use your pot for anything but boiling water, what do you eat from? Do you just pour hot/boiling liquid into the package? How does this work with Ramen?

booney_1
09-25-2014, 15:46
pouring water into instant oatmeal packet works great. It's a mess to clean out of a pot. Most people doing simple things that only require boiling water usually boil the water, and then put ramen or whatever into the pot.

There is a "book" and website on freezer bag cooking where people will put the ingredients into a ziplock and then add hot water. There are tons of great recipes using this method. One of my favorites (after ramen) is stove top stuffing with a pack of chicken (comes in foil packets like tuna).

most people are pretty casual with cleaning and you've got to be careful to not get sick...

Sarcasm the elf
09-25-2014, 16:08
I usually either eat directly out it my pot (contrary to popular belief they're not that hard to wash) or I use a one pint ziploc twist lock containers which works as a cup/bowl/cheesecake storage container, depending on what I need.

Damn Yankee
09-25-2014, 16:09
I just got back from the Sierras on a 6 day trip and what we did was carry a shallow bowl to eat from and licked it clean and just used a wet wipe or bandana to finish cleaning.

Lone Wolf
09-25-2014, 16:15
This seems like a dumb question which will hopefully mean it is easy to answer. I see all over the place that instant oatmeal is a common breakfast and the Lipton/whatever sides are a common dinner item. Then I also see that people say they use their cooking pot for nothing but boiling water. So the question is, if you don't use your pot for anything but boiling water, what do you eat from? Do you just pour hot/boiling liquid into the package? How does this work with Ramen?

use the pot to eat from. it's not hard to clean at all

fadedsun
09-25-2014, 16:29
I eat right out of the pot: Boil water, add bag-o'-dinner, pause, eat. Very straightforward. I do not understand folks who say the pot is hard to clean. It is only 2 dishes (pot and spoon) and they are small.

July
09-25-2014, 16:42
Cooking and eating out of the pot (900ml for me usually) works just fine. One of the main benefits of freezer bag cooking is that you can prepare this food at home the way you like, to your tastes. Plus it's pretty dang easy to just pour hot water in a bag and Eat...

atraildreamer
09-25-2014, 16:46
...There is a "book" and website on freezer bag cooking where people will put the ingredients into a ziplock and then add hot water...

http://www.trailcooking.com/

swjohnsey
09-25-2014, 18:06
Folks who cook and eat out of the same pot don't get sick as often.

jred321
09-25-2014, 19:16
So is it correct to say that your pot gets hung with the bear bag after you've eaten out of it?

Hikes in Rain
09-25-2014, 19:23
Always seemed wise to me. Plus, I use my pack as a pillow, and if I left the pot in it, it'd be lumpy.

Lone Wolf
09-25-2014, 19:31
So is it correct to say that your pot gets hung with the bear bag after you've eaten out of it?

no. what's a bear bag?

10-K
09-25-2014, 19:33
I just got back from the Sierras on a 6 day trip and what we did was carry a shallow bowl to eat from and licked it clean and just used a wet wipe or bandana to finish cleaning.

I did the same. Bought a bowl at an outfitter that ate from that and drank my coffee from my cookpot. Sucks to have to eat, then make coffee.

saltysack
09-25-2014, 20:02
Agree.. I use a starbucks $1.00 reusable plastic cup w lid....boil water in sp600 full coffee cup add more water boil dinner dump in bag wether it's mh, hawk vittles or ziplock w mash pot add chix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bronk
09-25-2014, 20:04
I really don't understand the people who think its easier to eat out of the package. Instead of a dry relatively clean package to pack out you end up with packages lined with bits of wet food that will likely mold and start to stink before you can get rid of them. Seems to me it would be easier just to clean your pot...just a bit of water and a scrubbing pad and you're done in about 30 seconds.

saltysack
09-25-2014, 20:20
I really don't understand the people who think its easier to eat out of the package. Instead of a dry relatively clean package to pack out you end up with packages lined with bits of wet food that will likely mold and start to stink before you can get rid of them. Seems to me it would be easier just to clean your pot...just a bit of water and a scrubbing pad and you're done in about 30 seconds.

I use the first bag for trash bag ...they zip closed so all contained in one.... I've done both just mainly hike dawn to dusk as mostly solo w dog...by the time I eat I'm usually tired and don't feel like cleaning out a pot.... Lazy I guess

anvil440
09-25-2014, 20:40
1 quart freezer bags and a DIY cozy made from one of those shiny metallic windshield heat deflectors.

jimmyjam
09-25-2014, 21:27
1 quart freezer bags and a DIY cozy made from one of those shiny metallic windshield heat deflectors.

this is all you need. no clean up except your spoon

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

kayak karl
09-25-2014, 21:38
this is all you need. no clean up except your spoon

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2 ,but then you have to carry out all those heavy freezer bags!

rocketsocks
09-25-2014, 21:40
here's one I fashioned for freeze dried meals or the like...little big actually, may cut this down a bit, I'll hold two freeze dried packages.

July
09-25-2014, 22:06
here's one I fashioned for freeze dried meals or the like...little big actually, may cut this down a bit, I'll hold two freeze dried packages.

Socks, we all Luv (mh), before heading into the woods, repackage into Zips. Unless you are fond of them Commercial sacs...

MuddyWaters
09-25-2014, 22:35
,but then you have to carry out all those heavy freezer bags!
Yeah, but they are a consumable so they don't count.😁

I eat out of zip locks, because that is what the food comes packed in (after I repackage it). Put water in bag when done, swish, drink,and stuff in garbage zip lock.

The Cleaner
09-25-2014, 22:48
I really don't understand the people who think its easier to eat out of the package. Instead of a dry relatively clean package to pack out you end up with packages lined with bits of wet food that will likely mold and start to stink before you can get rid of them. Seems to me it would be easier just to clean your pot...just a bit of water and a scrubbing pad and you're done in about 30 seconds. Some of these folks just toss the dirty food bag in the firepit, leaving a mess for others to deal with. Then they complain about the shelters being trashed and mice problems...:confused:

momo3boys
09-25-2014, 23:03
I share a pot with whoever I'm hiking with and I use my GSI bowl that comes with it for eating. Both are easy to wash and I can use it for my tea in the morning too.

anvil440
09-25-2014, 23:11
,but then you have to carry out all those heavy freezer bags!

The food is carried in in the same bags, so I have to carry them out anyway. Also, when I get home, I turn me inside out and wash em. They're actually more reusable than people think.

Starchild
09-25-2014, 23:12
I do both, eat out of the bags and the pot, and as stated it is not hard to clean. I find the pot easier and more pleasant to eat out of but sometimes the bag is the way to go, like with FD foods.

One thing I try to do it plan my meals to minimize the cleaning. If I am having 2 meals in a row that the unclean pot for one would 'complement' the other I may leave it uncleaned inbetween. In this I would usually eat the meal that would be the stickiest first then the second would be one that usually has little to clean- as such I sometimes plan a 2 coarse meal to accomplish this.

anvil440
09-25-2014, 23:23
The food is carried in in the same bags, so I have to carry them out anyway. Also, when I get home, I turn me inside out and wash em. They're actually more reusable than people think.

The other reason I use the freezer bag is I drink my coffee from my pot/cup, and I do not like anything getting in between me and good coffee.

YC 15
09-26-2014, 00:59
I gladly take my half ounce weight penalty for a small spatula. It's great for clean up and i get to enjoy every bit of deliciousness. I also appreciate it when I reach the bottom of my PB jar.

saltysack
09-26-2014, 06:42
If your not crafty u can but a pouch coozie got $5 from hawk vittles...had mine for years...his good us the best !

rafe
09-26-2014, 06:46
use the pot to eat from. it's not hard to clean at all

Pains me to agree with LW but yeah, this would be my answer. Particularly for your standard camp meal involving noodles or Knorrs (Liptons) packets.

rocketsocks
09-26-2014, 06:52
Socks, we all Luv (mh), before heading into the woods, repackage into Zips. Unless you are fond of them Commercial sacs...
Done that a few times too when breaking up a 2 person meal...but these days I don't seem to have any trouble eating two servings of anything. :D

Lone Wolf
09-26-2014, 06:55
Pains me to agree with LW but yeah, this would be my answer. Particularly for your standard camp meal involving noodles or Knorrs (Liptons) packets.

99% of time i'm right. don't fight it

kayak karl
09-26-2014, 06:58

so you guys have time or want to? repackage packaged food, carry smelly trash, and then wash these things in town (i don't carry a folding knife, fork or rolled edge cup or pot because of bacteria buildup) and start the process all over again, just to not wash a pot??

anvil440
09-26-2014, 11:50
so you guys have time or want to? repackage packaged food, carry smelly trash, and then wash these things in town (i don't carry a folding knife, fork or rolled edge cup or pot because of bacteria buildup) and start the process all over again, just to not wash a pot??

Yup.

anvil440
09-26-2014, 12:09
My prepackaged food comes in the 10 pound can. I'm not humping that out into the field. If I've got time to diddle on a forum, I got time to take a scoop and fill a couple bags with food. I clean the bag in the field with a tiny rag, so it's not wet when I pack it. I'm also not worried about carrying a couple of extra ounces of plastic. It's off set by skipping the unnecessary ditty bags. I've got a strong gut too, so I carry a folding knife and a rolled lip cup. No fork, just a spoon. I only cook one meal a day when hiking (dinner), my other meals are Snickers, Fritos, Clif bars or Nature Valley bars. If I have room, I'll toss a few small apples in my pack too. That's pure insanity for some folks. It's just my thing. If I catch a fish, I cook it caveman style. No cleanup whatsoever.

Hike your own hike - eat your own meal, whatever. To each his own.

saltysack
09-26-2014, 12:12
My prepackaged food comes in the 10 pound can. I'm not humping that out into the field. If I've got time to diddle on a forum, I got time to take a scoop and fill a couple bags with food. I clean the bag in the field with a tiny rag, so it's not wet when I pack it. I'm also not worried about carrying a couple of extra ounces of plastic. It's off set by skipping the unnecessary ditty bags. I've got a strong gut too, so I carry a folding knife and a rolled lip cup. No fork, just a spoon. I only cook one meal a day when hiking (dinner), my other meals are Snickers, Fritos, Clif bars or Nature Valley bars. If I have room, I'll toss a few small apples in my pack too. That's pure insanity for some folks. It's just my thing. If I catch a fish, I cook it caveman style. No cleanup whatsoever.

Hike your own hike - eat your own meal, whatever. To each his own.

What kind of food comes in 10lb can? Curious

anvil440
09-26-2014, 12:28

You can get Mountain House in #10 cans. 10-1 pound servings. I get em on Amazon.

jred321
09-26-2014, 12:36

Chef Boyardee for giants

Sarcasm the elf
09-26-2014, 12:40

The most glorious can of spam you can imagine!

saltysack
09-26-2014, 12:41
Not sure what's worse MH or spam !!

Sarcasm the elf
09-26-2014, 12:44

MH is far worse. But I'll still gladly eat either one every couple of days.

anvil440
09-26-2014, 12:45
My mom used to get 10 pound cans of "spam" when I was a kid from the commissary in Fort Belvoire, VA. I ate a lot of chopped ham product, cooked.

anvil440
09-26-2014, 12:46

You can do more with spam.

saltysack
09-26-2014, 12:47
Spam is something I will never eat...arse holes and lips never appealed to me even after a few days in the woods !!

saltysack
09-26-2014, 12:47
I'll stick w pb

kayak karl
09-26-2014, 12:51
have you thru hiked like this. my concern is how freezer bag cooking works on a thru hike. the OP is planning a thru.

anvil440
09-26-2014, 13:13
have you thru hiked like this. my concern is how freezer bag cooking works on a thru hike. the OP is planning a thru.

Only section hiked. I've never done more than 10 days at a time.

CarlZ993
09-26-2014, 14:12
Typically, I'll carry a 0.9L Evernew Titanium pot w/ a ultralight oleo tub in it. This second container is for the few times that I have multiple items to cook (warm up). My pot has a cozy made of reflectrix. I simply boil water, add the food, stir it up, remove it from the flame (no burnt stuff on the pot bottom), place it in the cozy, and wait 10-15 minutes.

On desert hikes or where water is scarce, I'll take a quart freezer bag cozy. My evening meal is put in a quart freezer bag. I boil the water, pour it into the food bag, stir it up w/ a long-handled spoon (worth the weight penalty to lessen the mess), & let it continue 'cooking' in the freezer bag cozy. The only thing you have to clean up is the spoon.

Note: Take a few extra qt freezer bags. If you spring a leak, quickly insert your food bag into the 2nd freezer bag.

Malto
09-26-2014, 17:17
I use an MLD 850ml pot. The nice thing is that a quart freezer bag fits perfectly in it. You can also wrap the top of the bag around the lip of the pot and slide a coozy on.

10-K
09-26-2014, 19:02
Nobody likes Mountain House meals..

Funny thing though.. they last about oh.... a nanosecond in a hiker box...

saltysack
09-26-2014, 19:16
Nobody likes Mountain House meals..

Funny thing though.. they last about oh.... a nanosecond in a hiker box...

Goes to show you'll eat anything when hungry!!! I still can't eat spam!!

July
09-26-2014, 19:22
I use an MLD 850ml pot. The nice thing is that a quart freezer bag fits perfectly in it. You can also wrap the top of the bag around the lip of the pot and slide a coozy on.

I use this same pot and put the freezer bag in the pot cozy and usually fix coffee in the pot to sip with dinner. Because the cozy is sized for the 850, the bag, as you say, wraps perfect round the rim.