PDA

View Full Version : square dancing?

squeezebox
09-25-2014, 16:43
Is there enough old time musicians to support a caller on the trail. even mouth music.
I've heard of a few fiddle players hiking. And some Uke players. Any guitar players that can do melody line.
Here in St. Louis we have a group that teaches old time square dance and contra calling. Not the 1950's stuff. The 1850's stuff.
I'll learn calling if there's enough musicians.
Think it would be fun.

OCDave
09-25-2014, 19:00
squeezebox,

I have grown to look forward to your posts. You reliably pose questions that I would NEVER have anticipated of this type of forum. I suggest you go ahead a learn to call square dances, when a square dance breaks out spontaneously on the trail you will be the hero of the day.

Good Luck and dosey do!

bigcranky
09-25-2014, 21:01
One of my friends offered me her Martin backpacker guitar for our Long Trail hike this summer. I declined - it would have come back in many tiny pieces :) So, no guitar for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rocketsocks
09-25-2014, 21:09
Squeeze box, are you bringing your squeeze box on your hike? what does something like that weigh? just curious. Big fan of ol' timey music here, and whaling tunes...call it out brother. have a great hike. :)
for your viewing and listening pleasure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb-6A4IGRrw

http://search.aol.com/aol/image?q=old+timey+music&s_chn=prt_ct13&v_t=comsearch

kayak karl
09-25-2014, 21:23
there is a lot of square dancing on the trail and in towns. you will have a lot of competition out there. the fact that you are just learning i'd say get do si do it.

upstream
09-25-2014, 21:49
It ain't on the AT, but on the Bartram Trail, in the western corner of South Carolina, right next to Georgia is Oconee State Park, and they have a square dance barn where they have square dancing every Saturday Night.

squeezebox
09-26-2014, 04:27
A button accordion would not last a month on the trail. the bellows are made of cardboard and tape. reeds easy to rust. weight at least 8 lbs.
switch to penny whistle.

rocketsocks
09-26-2014, 06:01
A button accordion would not last a month on the trail. the bellows are made of cardboard and tape. reeds easy to rust. weight at least 8 lbs.
switch to penny whistle.ah...yep, wouldn't last loto long on the very wet AT. Penny whistles are fun. Saw Tommy Makem a few times who use to play bango and always had a penny whistle in his pocket, it was a nice accompaniment.

rocketsocks
09-26-2014, 06:04
ah...yep, wouldn't last to long on the very wet AT. Penny whistles are fun. Saw Tommy Makem a few times who use to play bango and always had a penny whistle in his pocket, it was a nice accompaniment.
early morning rush hour key board wreck. :o