PDA

View Full Version : 15 year old girl youngest ever to complete an AT thru hike

DavidNH
09-25-2014, 17:59
http://bangordailynews.com/2013/10/09/outdoors/girl-hikes-through-maine-to-become-youngest-solo-at-thru-hiker/

I think this is way cool!!! Give this a read and share your thoughts!!!

rickb
09-25-2014, 18:24
http://bangordailynews.com/2013/10/09/outdoors/girl-hikes-through-maine-to-become-youngest-solo-at-thru-hiker/

I think this is way cool!!! Give this a read and share your thoughts!!!

I am am pretty sure she will be giving a talk or workshop at the upcoming ALDHA gathering in Williamstown, MA.

MuddyWaters
09-25-2014, 19:18
Dubious claim. Her mom met her at road crossings if I recall correctly. It cheapens the claim to "solo", although she might have walked trail without a permanent companion. No one is really alone on the trail anyway, so it doesn't have any real significance. Kudos to her though.

DavidNH
09-26-2014, 08:58
Hmm re-read the article having just read Muddywater's post. an here's a section I hadn't read at first:

Though her parents never hike with her, they follow her with the family camper, the “Chip Mobile,” which is decorated by the trail names of hikers Neva has met on her journey. Using a Spot GPS Tracker, Neva can communicate her progress to a website watched by her parents, who are on standby for emergencies.

So it's a great adventure and a physical accomplishment. BUT 1) she had no financial concerns at was never really at any risk. Mom and Dad were always in contact, had gps tracking, and followed her in the family camper. Geez! so we should call it for what it is: This is NOT a solo trip. I also wonder if a 15 year old might in someways be less at risk than a 30 or 40 year olds as the fellow hikers would be looking out for her to an extent that they wouldn't for adults.

Speakeasy TN
09-26-2014, 09:44
Chipmunk walked the whole trail. She kept food and shelter. No slackpacking for her. Why would where she slept change the accomplishment? It seems there are plenty of folks that hike from hostel to hostel on a thru. Her having civilized accommodations is a bonus for her.

Supported or unsupported is relative but when nights spent on the trail are the exception.......

Far more important is the fact that she's a super kid and a great ambassador.

swisscross
09-26-2014, 10:37
Want more info....

How long did it take her?
Takes most people longer than a summer break...from school.
Is she home schooled?

Still very neat that a young girl (or boy) would even attempt such a feat.

Rain Man
09-26-2014, 14:41
Sad how some can attempt to diminish what she did. I can't remember what I was doing at 15, but it sure wasn't hiking from Georgia to Maine. Unlike 99.99% of our culture, she got off the couch and into the woods. Good for her!

If my parents would pay for my trip and meet me at road crossings today, I'd jump at the offer, ... and I'm in my 60s! Now, try to piss on that if it makes you feel superior.

Rain Man

Ktaadn
09-26-2014, 14:51
It's really difficult to support a claim that you solo hiked a trail while surrounded by millions of other people who are using that trail on an annual basis. I guess I could say that I solo drove to work today, but there were thousands of other people on I-95 when I did it.

This topic comes up in mountaineering quite a bit too. Only one man (Messner) is credited with climbing Everest solo because everyone else is just walking up a trail that was packed down by many others.

To be solo, you truely have to be alone. I would say that walking on any blazed trail does not qualify.

STILL, really cool that a 15 year old finished a thru hike.

DavidNH
09-26-2014, 15:47
I agree.. it is a great accomplishment and I don't in anyway intend to diminish that. No slackpacking either.. I met a bunch of slack packers on my thru. it is also quite true that it is hard to truly solo hike the AT with all the people around. Chipmunk did however have her parents following her up the trail in the "chipmobile" I think it was called. So it helps that one has always a warm dray place to sleep, doesn't have to contend with the isolation and loneliness for very long.. wait.. what isolation? this is the AT! I learned fast how crowded the trail can be.. till one gets far enough north that the crowds thin out and one almost seeks to get away from the hoards.

But at the end of the day.. it's a 15 year old girl and how many if any girls that age would even think of doing an adventure like this.

So I come back to my original comment... Way Cool!!

Pedaling Fool
09-26-2014, 16:12
Another great story made possible by fossil fuel...and a few other things....:);)

atmilkman
09-26-2014, 17:22
Sad how some can attempt to diminish what she did. I can't remember what I was doing at 15, but it sure wasn't hiking from Georgia to Maine. Unlike 99.99% of our culture, she got off the couch and into the woods. Good for her!

If my parents would pay for my trip and meet me at road crossings today, I'd jump at the offer, ... and I'm in my 60s! Now, try to piss on that if it makes you feel superior.

Rain Man

I'll bet there's about 99.99% of hikers that would also jump at that chance, and I'll bet about 99.99% of those would call it a thru-hike too.

swisscross
09-26-2014, 19:59
If she walked it, it is a through.
My question was why she was not in school.
As a parent of two little ones I am concerned that her parents blew off schooling resulting their child being held back.
I want details on how THEY accomplished this GREAT feat.

saltysack
09-26-2014, 20:03
Article said she had been home schooled....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swisscross
09-26-2014, 20:14
Article said she had been home schooled....

Missed that! Oops. Another home schooled outcast that cannot deal! Great!

Lone Wolf
09-26-2014, 20:26
this whole fastest, youngest, oldest, slowest record BS is out of control. i got the record for quitting 2 years in a row in gorham, n.h. whoopee! this young lady by her own admission is putting notches in her belt

Rocket Jones
09-26-2014, 20:26

Explain, please.

swisscross
09-26-2014, 20:51
Explain, please.

sure.. Have been associated with close to fifty home schooled children, some slow, some smart, some with freaky parents and most of the children have turned out socially inept.

AmputeeHiker
09-26-2014, 20:54
Some bitter people here. Smh.. wow. Anything to knock another human being down a peg or two. If you wouldn't say it too the girl, don't say it here.

lonehiker
09-26-2014, 21:31
She has accomplished what many of these cyber hikers haven't and the only way they can feel good about themselves is to ridicule her, be it on her achievement, education, parenting.... just name it.....

rocketsocks
09-26-2014, 21:55

Rain Man

.This

I'll bet there's about 99.99% of hikers that would also jump at that chance, and I'll bet about 99.99% of those would call it a thru-hike too.This too

She has accomplished what many of these cyber hikers haven't and the only way they can feel good about themselves is to ridicule her, be it on her achievement, education, parenting.... just name it.....

Yep...and this

...ta hell is wrong with you folks?

AmputeeHiker
09-26-2014, 22:39
Speaking with a friend of hers who is on my facebook. Apparently she is off to college. At 16... Not bad for a "home schooled reject" eh?

vamelungeon
09-26-2014, 23:21
The internet brings out the mean spirit in some people. All I can say is congratulations to her!

MuddyWaters
09-26-2014, 23:24
I don't think anyone is ridiculing the young lady's achievement, rather the spin job put on it, wanting to claim to be a first at something. There is a difference.

Had they claimed youngest to hike trail in Warren Doyle-esque fashion provided by her parents, it wouldn't have raised an eyebrow

As was said, there is no thing as a solo thru hike on the AT anyway. The press doesn't know that though.

Dogtra
09-27-2014, 00:07
I stopped reading after just a few comments.
Quickly sickened by all the vultures that just can't help themselves and HAVE to discredit a great accomplishment. I'm not usually one to be so openly hostile on these forums, though I have had my moments, but I have to say one thing to those of you that read the story and felt the need to vomit your negativity all over it.

You are pathetic.

Ia wonder
09-27-2014, 00:16
Wow, not sure why so many people are down on this girl. I believe it is a heck of an accomplishment to complete the trail. I hope to have the opportunity to try someday.

hikehunter
09-27-2014, 01:10
Rainman...........you are spot on.

This girl at age 15 worked toward her goal...she reached it and completed it.
If 50% or more of the 15 year olds made goals....worked on them ... and reached them......the world would be a little nicer place.

If I could get my 14 year old daughter to complete 1/2 the goals....I would be the craziest/happiest dads the world has ever seen.

Think about it people....teenagers are usually - bed ridden, lazy, arugemenative, and defiant...creatures....
To see a teenager that does something like this...

I would sell a house, if my teenager wanted to do anything like this ....and complete it.....

10-K
09-27-2014, 06:45
Had they claimed youngest to hike trail in Warren Doyle-esque fashion provided by her parents, it wouldn't have raised an eyebrow

No.. it wouldn't have raised *your* eyebrow. But, someone would still have something non-positive to say about it.

This is the thing when anyone (and I mean anyone) makes an announcement about doing something first, or fastest - it will always-always not live up to someone's definition of what it means to be first or fastest.

You just have to ignore folks and let them have their own ideas.

Pedaling Fool
09-27-2014, 07:28
Quickly sickened by all the vultures that just can't help themselves and HAVE to discredit a great accomplishment. I'm not usually one to be so openly hostile on these forums, though I have had my moments, but I have to say one thing to those of you that read the story and felt the need to vomit your negativity all over it.

You are pathetic.

The world would be an ugly place without vultures. I don't understand how vultures have come to represent negativity; it makes me sad:)

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/6/9/3/6/6-15-2006-157.jpg

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m484/76gunner/e66b6820-2793-4fd2-b066-610a4b265b74_zps40ad1306.jpg (http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/76gunner/media/e66b6820-2793-4fd2-b066-610a4b265b74_zps40ad1306.jpg.html)

rickb
09-27-2014, 08:21
I have not followed Chipmunk's story very closely, but the more learn the more I am impressed.

It seems incontrovertible that is was *HER* hike. And that is a very important part of the story.

Not because of how it plays to the hiking community (and especially on whiteblaze) but because of the message and inspiration she is sharing with others-- young people in particular. Check youtube and the web for more. Its pretty neat.

Presenting her trip as a solo hike gets right to the point that this was *HER* adventure. Some kids get lucky and have amazing parents that conceive and design their kids fist big adventure-- who can't be in awe of the Adventure's Cindy Ross and her husband created for their children when they were young, for example -- and Chipmunk's parents look to have done the same with a 3,000+ mile bike trip a couple years prior.

But her AT trip was different-- it was so much more because it was *HERS*.

And if that is communicated right off the bat by choosing the words "solo hike" (which I think is accurate anyway) why not?I think that gives a better understanding of her accomplishment and context to her message.

FatMan
09-27-2014, 08:46
What an amazing adventure for her. And she is blessed to have such amazing parents. I am thrilled for all involved.

I just can't find in my wildest thoughts anything negative about this. WB continues to amaze me.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
09-27-2014, 08:47

sure.. Have been associated with close to fifty home schooled children, some slow, some smart, some with freaky parents and most of the children have turned out socially inept.

To ease your mind here are 5 who have were home schooled that can -
My daughter - graduate of the Eastern Virginia Medical School surgical assistant program. She is well-liked, highly-respected and very much in demand because of her work ethic.
My niece - has a masters in political science and is a mover and shaker in the political arena in DC
My nephew - is an Air Force Academy graduate and AF pilot.
Another niece - graduated Virginia Tech with a degree in animal husbandry.
And another niece - graduated Old Dominion University with a degree in music as an accomplished violinist.

All well-liked and respected, able to hold down jobs with a high degree of responsibility. And from what I hear from my son-in-law who teaches physics in a public school, I hope all my grandchildren will be homeschooled. School is for education not socialization and many public schools are failing on both fronts in my book. Not really the fault of the teachers (in most instances). It's all the politics and power plays being played in our educational system.

By the way, kudos to the young lady for her accomplishment and her parents for supporting her in achieving her goal.

adamkrz
09-27-2014, 09:29

You are pathetic.

WB is a great site but it only takes a few jealous people to ruin a thread - as always.

Furlough
09-27-2014, 09:42
WB is a great site but it only takes a few jealous people to ruin a thread - as always.

Yep. Been a member here for a decade and unfortunately the Bash first mentality has always been here. Not sure if it is about upping the post count, the need to compensate for a lack of ones own self worth or just to prove that HYOH means only if you do it "my" way is the hike valid.

Coffee
09-27-2014, 10:55
Yet another debate on WhiteBlaze that would never happen on the trail in real life.

rickb
09-27-2014, 12:06
Yet another debate on WhiteBlaze that would never happen on the trail in real life.

I get what you are saying, but if you go back and read each post carefully, there is really not much of a debate at all.

You will find a couple comments with misplaced focus (IMHO) and negative overtones and then you get everyone else chiming in to denounce them.

Not a debate really.

0n the other hand, you see precious few adding anything new or of interest.

Old Hiker
09-27-2014, 12:36

I have been teaching in a Title 1 school for over 8 years - over 1100 kids to date - and I'd be the first to say that many, if not a majority of THOSE kids were "socially inept" when they got to me and when they left. Absolutely no concept of how to be polite to each other, function in a location NOT a ghetto, how to treat an adult, how to respond to authority.

Has NOTHING to do with where they are schooled. Has EVERYTHING to do with parenting and the community around them.

As for the young lady, kudos to her for the accomplishment up to now (if she finishes - stated she would start Maine 03 Oct) and kudos for the family support.

I'd like a camper every night to sleep in.

likeahike
09-27-2014, 12:41
Had she actually hiked the AT solo there might be valid questions about parental negligence. She did not hike the AT solo as claimed so it's perfectly valid to question that also. The OP did ask for comments.

BTW, where are the moderators? Seems to me there's a TOS about name calling a personal attacks.

MuddyWaters
09-27-2014, 12:43
The world would be an ugly place without vultures. I don't understand how vultures have come to represent negativity; it makes me sad:)

Vultures eliminate the carrion, as well as the weak. The keep the ecosystem strong by reducing spread of disease. They are truly beneficial and important for a healthy environment.

Homeschooling is only as good as the teacher, and the coursework used. I've seen good and bad, awful, and exceptional.

bobp
09-27-2014, 13:24

If you are in your '60's with parents healthy enough to drive around following you, wealthy enough to fund the venture, and amiable enough that you don't mind seeing them every night, I would say simply, "God bless you." Then, on further consideration, I would contend that He already has.

Mrs Baggins
09-27-2014, 14:18

Rain Man

We REALLY have to get a LIKE button on this site! I LOVED that Rainman! We just walked the West Highland Way in Scotland, using a company that ported our bags ahead and made the hotel reservations for us for every night. So no we didn't carry big trail packs and we didn't tent out. But we still DID walk every foot of the 96 miles of it! And when I go to do the Camino de Santiago next year I'm staying in alburges or hotels or B&Bs, whatever I can find, every single night. No cooking on the trail, no pumping water out of streams, no tenting. But I will STILL have walked all 480 miles of it. If I could do the AT that way you damn well better believe I would.

rocketsocks
09-27-2014, 17:50
if the young lady were to have done the trip without her parents there, it's likely some would call for the parents to be arrested for child endangerment for allowing it...just sayin'

JohnnySnook
09-27-2014, 18:45
I say the more power to her. Great job. Like many others have said!

In life many are jealous of what others have done or are going to do. The internet is the best way to vent those emotions. Its the same in almost every forum I visit. Mostly fishing forums.

Quotes like:

"Those fish look under or over sized."
"Why did you keep your full limit?" Maybe the people on the boat are from Idaho and are taking it home? Not everyone has a boat and fishes weekly.
"These fish were caught out of season cause the pictures were posted after the season ended. Call the FWC." Not everyone post everyday like many on a forum.

This is why people stop posting or visiting sites. They just lurk around and thats no fun.

These are just a few of the examples. Luckily many of these forums have off topic sections which are great for vent your frustrations from behind a keyboard. I know I've done it. I won't lie. When things got ugly in those sections a politics and sports section were created.

Fights about Home school vs really crappy public schools? Really?

Just like how on this thread a 19 year kid was bashed. Thankfully many came to his defense.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?106416-Parental-Concerns

I say if you're young and can take part in any adventure go for it. Most are only able to do this when they're young or old. By the time young kids grow go up people will be living well into they're 100's.

My best friend and I were sent of to Costa Rica 20+ years ago(BEFORE THE TOURISTS ARRIVED) during our summer break between junior an senior year of high school for 3 weeks. We trailblazed(bus rides) all over the country on our own looking for waves. All we had was a hotel the first night, bus ride to the beach, and a hotel for night at the beach and vise-versa on the way back. From then on it was up to us and those are three weeks I'll never forget! I think we talked to our parents once or twice each week when we could get a call out. This experience kept be traveling all over central and south america. Living weeks on a tiny island two hours boat ride from land with no phone and power for a few hours everyday.

The pure youthful joy of traveling at a young age alone is something that I can't reach in my middle ages. No matter how nice a trip it is! I do still get happy but the mind gets jaded with time.

Just sayin..

SouthMark
09-28-2014, 10:24
A positive note about the negativism on here, it just keeps a few people here from showing up in the workplace with an automatic weapon and taking out those they feel inferior to.

squeezebox
09-28-2014, 12:52
My opinion !!
Fully supported are the record attempt folks. a couple of cars and an RV . food , water, clothes change, at every road // just run.
unsupported - no hitching into town , cook all your own food, no town food. you shipped all your own bounce boxes. etc. etc.
99.9% of people fall in the gray area between.
Hell yes I'ld meet up with my 15 yr old daughter every night , and hike with my 5 yr.old son , But claim unsupported ?? Not even close!!
But great for those kids doing this. bravo//brava

lonehiker
09-28-2014, 16:56
My opinion !!
Fully supported are the record attempt folks. a couple of cars and an RV . food , water, clothes change, at every road // just run.
unsupported - no hitching into town , cook all your own food, no town food. you shipped all your own bounce boxes. etc. etc.
99.9% of people fall in the gray area between.
Hell yes I'ld meet up with my 15 yr old daughter every night , and hike with my 5 yr.old son , But claim unsupported ?? Not even close!!
But great for those kids doing this. bravo//brava

She didn't claim to have hiked it unsupported.

squeezebox
09-28-2014, 19:21
It's a great accomplishment for someone her age.

Trillium
10-02-2014, 13:06
Had she actually hiked the AT solo there might be valid questions about parental negligence. She did not hike the AT solo as claimed so it's perfectly valid to question that also. The OP did ask for comments.

BTW, where are the moderators? Seems to me there's a TOS about name calling a personal attacks.
I wasn't there and I haven't read more than a few entries from her mother's blog but if she walked without a companion the whole way, then she was solo. Her hike may have been supported but that has nothing to do with the way she hiked. If a trip can't be solo if you never see, much less interact, with anyone else at lunch/snack breaks, camping, etc, that would likely take a very unusual person who was wasn't affected by isolation.

Otherwise, under some of your definitions, the only solo hiker that I know of was Andrew Skurka when he did that Alaska trip.

Rolls Kanardly
10-02-2014, 14:23
Lets hope she has the passion to do a thru hike on her 50th anniversary in 2063.
Rolls

Rolls Kanardly
10-02-2014, 14:44
Rain Man
My mother will turn 89 in November and she told me the passion I have in me for hiking the AT on a thru hike is greater than any passion she has seen in me in 67 years. My passion must be contagious because she wants to buy a motor home so she can tag along. I certainly would not be the one to tell her she could not go and meet me at road crossings. Rolls

ralph23
10-02-2014, 14:58
It's a great accomplishment, period.

"It's a great accomplishment for someone her age."

SouthMark
10-02-2014, 21:02
It's a great accomplishment, period.

"It's a great accomplishment for someone her age."

What he said!

T.S.Kobzol
10-03-2014, 08:30
Well she is 15 so yes, the parents were there for her at road crossings and yes they fed her when available...after all she is a minor. I'd say the parents did everything they could to still take care of their child while she hiked the trail.

Tons of adult hikers hike in groups and can't wait to sleep in a motel and ravage AYCE buffets. Many of them complete the trail and claim SOLO thru hike.

I'd say before we dump on this kid we resolve the core foundation of our AT hiking values.

FLoridaGirl
10-03-2014, 20:57
Exactly! At 15? That's incredible....what happened to HYOH? Kudos to her!

rickb
10-03-2014, 21:01
My mother will turn 89 in November and she told me the passion I have in me for hiking the AT on a thru hike is greater than any passion she has seen in me in 67 years. My passion must be contagious because she wants to buy a motor home so she can tag along. I certainly would not be the one to tell her she could not go and meet me at road crossings. Rolls

Very cool post. You made my day.

Walkin' with stuff
10-03-2014, 21:06
Man. Talk about some Negative Nellies. Some folks just can't be happy unless they're crapping on the sunshine of others.

saltysack
10-03-2014, 21:38
Get ur heads out if ur Arse!!! She's done what many adults dream about!!!

SouthMark
10-03-2014, 21:52
You can't make some people happy even if you hang them with a new rope.

Walkin' with stuff
10-04-2014, 07:41
You can't make some people happy even if you hang them with a new rope.

Yep, very true. Same types who'd go to a bi*ching contest and bi*ch about the rules and prizes.

Traveler
10-04-2014, 08:02
Yep, very true. Same types who'd go to a bi*ching contest and bi*ch about the rules and prizes.

Funny, you guys are doing the same thing.....

4Bears
10-04-2014, 11:52
Kudos to Chipmunk and well done to her parents for providing the opportunity!!! What I would have done for the chance at that age. A lifetime experience with a lifetime to experience!!

RED-DOG
10-04-2014, 14:23
According to the A.T.C Thru-hike Guidelines she is considered a 2000 miler, but in hiking circles she is NOT considered a THRU-HIKER, she did hike the entire trail. even though she did not carry a full load nor spend a night in the rain, since she was seeing her family basically every day she didn't go through the same Mental pain and anguish as do most thru-hikers experiences, she only spent maybe 6 nights on the trail, yeah she did hike the entire trail but her experiences was totally different than from a more TRADITIONAL thru-hike.

david_1
10-04-2014, 14:29
just glad im not in them hiking circles or I would be posting on here making myself look stupid.

rocketsocks
10-04-2014, 14:36
According to the A.T.C Thru-hike Guidelines she is considered a 2000 miler, but in hiking circles she is NOT considered a THRU-HIKER, she did hike the entire trail. even though she did not carry a full load nor spend a night in the rain, since she was seeing her family basically every day she didn't go through the same Mental pain and anguish as do most thru-hikers experiences, she only spent maybe 6 nights on the trail, yeah she did hike the entire trail but her experiences was totally different than from a more TRADITIONAL thru-hike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss2hULhXf04

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss2hULhXf04

RED-DOG
10-04-2014, 14:41
just glad im not in them hiking circles or I would be posting on here making myself look stupid.
you already have.

lonehiker
10-04-2014, 17:34

She is considered a thru-hiker in this hikers circle. I'm really not certain of which circle you are referring....

4Bears
10-04-2014, 17:35
Judging from the above post by Red-Dog, I guess we can all throw out HYOH ideals and burn every copy of Sinatra's "I Did It My Way". Or at least the way I comprehended it, maybe I misinterpreted what was written. How would anyone but Chipmunk know what "mental anguish" she went through. And isn't everyone's "experience" individualized?

Lone Wolf
10-04-2014, 18:06
all in all it's just walkin' but some folks like to make it a stunt i guess

OCDave
10-04-2014, 18:08
Hiking in circles is silly. You will never get anywhere,

Blue Mountain Edward
10-04-2014, 18:59
So that makes her a thru hiker and not a thru backpacker. And her parents probably drove 4000 miles so she can hike 2180. Those miles would go by fast not having to carry camping gear. I am slightly impressed by this accomplishment.

rafe
10-04-2014, 19:03
Hiking in circles is silly. You will never get anywhere,

Best post of this thread.

4Bears
10-04-2014, 19:20

​.....yup!!!

Mrs Baggins
10-05-2014, 08:44

A stunt. Well then. That makes speed hiking a stunt; hiking while blind a stunt; hiking with artificial limb(s) a stunt; thru-hiking more than once a stunt; hiking with a 12 lb pack a stunt; hiking with a 50 lb pack a stunt; never leaving the trail for town a stunt; going into every town a stunt; hiking before the age of 20 and after the age of 50 a stunt;......see where that can go? If it doesn't fit the parameters of the "By God I'm a real hiker and I know how it's supposed to be done!" people then it's all a stunt...right?

Colter
10-05-2014, 09:14
She is considered a thru-hiker in this hikers circle. I'm really not certain of which circle you are referring....

Me too. Hike your own hike.

ralph23
10-05-2014, 09:54

Can you please tell me where you got the criteria from? I don't know where it says that the following items are required to be a "thru-hiker":

Mental Anguish- What if someone enjoys the trip, are they not a thru-hiker?
Carrying a full load- How would you define a full load? Are UL hikers not thru-hikers?
Spend a night in the rain- So bad weather is required to become a thru-hiker?

Any may I point out that your signature says "hike your own hike...but leave me the hell alone". For someone who supposedly believes in doing what you like you seem awful quick to throw another person under the bus for completing their own hike which apparently doesn't conform to your "traditional" definition.

Old Hiker
10-05-2014, 10:04
Can you please tell me where you got the criteria from? I don't know where it says that the following items are required to be a "thru-hiker":

Mental Anguish- What if someone enjoys the trip, are they not a thru-hiker?
Carrying a full load- How would you define a full load? Are UL hikers not thru-hikers?
Spend a night in the rain- So bad weather is required to become a thru-hiker?

Any may I point out that your signature says "hike your own hike...but leave me the hell alone". For someone who supposedly believes in doing what you like you seem awful quick to throw another person under the bus for completing their own hike which apparently doesn't conform to your "traditional" definition.

I desperately wanted to post the post above, but held back. Glad you did.

I enjoyed MOST of the trip - the longer ago it was, the better I remember it ! :)

I had 45-50 pounds, mostly. Saw some bigger packs, mostly smaller packs. My load was "full" until I ate a lot of it down. At what point is it no longer "full" ?

NEVER spent a night in the rain - always had my tent or hammock over me. Did that still count?

Thanks again for the post, Ralph.

Traveler
10-05-2014, 10:11
I think theres are nuanced differences in this, even with the "hike your own hike" credo.

As Red Dog points out, the ATC has more specific (or less generalized?) Guidelines for certain labels and terms. This is true in a lot of things, someone who writes an editorial is not an author, an author is not a writer, etc. There are gradient shades of achievement.

Its a feat to be sure, 2000 miles is no small trick, even with mom and dad carrying most of your gear, picking you up at a road crossing and carrying you to a hot meal and hotel each night. However to call this an actual thru hike diminishes the effort many have put in to actually stay on the trail and suffering the nights, weather, social issues, and mental roadblocks that append these kinds of efforts, which are really the pieces that cause us to reach deep into ourselves for discovery of who we really are. I think it fair to say, most of us would not have that level of long distance hike support, nor would we consider that compatible with what the Trail is offering.

There are shades of accomplishment, much as there are shades of grey. The ATC is the real arbiter of these nuances, I'm good with them calling it as they see it. As a 2000 miler, she is pretty heroic overall at her age. Thru hiking is far more than just walking sections and ticking them off trail maps, though for some folks it is just that.

Its all about grades of achievement and the nuanced differences.

Pedaling Fool
10-05-2014, 10:29
There really is no official difference (WRT recognition) between a 2,000-miler and a thru-hiker as defined by the ATC. They actually use the term synonymously (in many cases), thus there is NO thru-hiker certificate, only a 2,000-miler.

If you all want a special thru-hiker designation with a official recognition, then you're going to have to establish your own organization....

See here, so-called thru-hikers and 2,000-milers all lumped together in one group http://www.appalachiantrail.org/about-the-trail/2000-milers

Here's the most they say (WRT definition) of thru-hikers: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/thru-section-hiking

(seems to me, she fits the ATC's definition of a thru-hiker.)

Excerpt:

Thru Hiking

A thru-hiker is a hiker or backpacker who has completed or is attempting to walk the entire Appalachian Trail in one uninterrupted journey. Completing the entire estimated 2,180 miles of the Appalachian Trail in one trip is a mammoth undertaking. Each year, thousands of hikers attempt a thru-hike; only about one in four make it all the way.

rickb
10-05-2014, 10:33
The ATC is the real arbiter of these nuances, I'm good with them calling it as they see it.

I don't think you could be more wrong about the ATC being an arbiter on this.

The ATC is too smart to assume that role.

They recognize those who have walked every mile of the trail they work so hard to protect-- no more or less.

Traveler
10-05-2014, 10:48
I don't think you could be more wrong about the ATC being an arbiter on this.

The ATC is too smart to assume that role.

They recognize those who have walked every mile of the trail they work so hard to protect-- no more or less.

Then I stand corrected in content (I was not aware there was no separation in definitions by ATC), but not context. Nuance exists in all achievements.

rafe
10-05-2014, 10:49
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but weren't Warren Doyle's guided AT thru-hikes very similar to what this young lady did? As I understand it, Warren's hikes were heavily supported. Not sure how much Warren's clients slept in the woods, but I think it was much less than most thru-hikers. I just don't see where the relative level of suffering or deprivation (or the weight you were carrying on your back) ought to determine the value or significance of one thru-hike vs. another.

freightliner
10-05-2014, 11:13
Many years ago a man who was very involved with the trail went to the ATC and tried to make it so that a thru-hiker was someone who hiked ever mile of the trail in one go. Everyone one else is a section hiker. Thats when the ATC said it doesn't matter how you hiked the trail as long as it was end to end. It was said that everyone should hike your own hike. That is where that saying came from not that you can act or do what ever you want on the trail. You can do what ever you want as long as you leave no trace.

Slo-go'en
10-05-2014, 11:15
I don't think the issue is whether or not she is a "thru-hiker". Clearly she is.

I think calling her the youngest "SOLO" thru-hiker is a legitimate question given the level of daily support she received. I believe the point RED-DOG is trying to make is that she didn't have to "live" in the woods and do all the associated chores which other thru-hikers have to deal with. However, to allow a 15 year old girl to do a thru-hike with the minimal level of support most thru-hikers receive would result in the parents deemed responsible, especially if something bad happened along the way.

rocketsocks
10-05-2014, 13:36
If a thruhiker were to stay in hostels three nights a week, hotels two nights the a week, and one night at a friends house, and did that for 4 to 6 months....they'd be considered having walked from GA to ME as an unsupported thru-hiker

...PATCHED IN.

rocketsocks
10-05-2014, 13:42
If a thruhiker were to stay in hostels three nights a week, hotels two nights the a week, and one night at a friends house, and did that for 4 to 6 months....they'd be considered having walked from GA to ME as an unsupported thru-hiker

...PATCHED IN.
under and with-in the guise of style.

gpburdelljr
10-05-2014, 15:56
I propose the following definitions:

Traditional Thru-Hiker: A person who has hiked the entire trail in one uninterrupted journey, with no support whatsoever. To meet this criteria the hiker must make all their own clothes and gear from natural materials; grow, forage, or hunt for all food; never stay in any manmade shelter other than their own; never accept any assistance, including trail magic.

Thru-Hiker: A person who has hiked the entire trail in one uninterrupted journey, but does not meet the above criteria.

rocketsocks
10-05-2014, 16:36
I propose the following definitions:

Traditional Thru-Hiker: A person who has hiked the entire trail in one uninterrupted journey, with no support whatsoever. To meet this criteria the hiker must make all their own clothes and gear from natural materials; grow, forage, or hunt for all food; never stay in any manmade shelter other than their own; never accept any assistance, including trail magic.

Thru-Hiker: A person who has hiked the entire trail in one uninterrupted journey, but does not meet the above criteria.
...and has to take their own selfie on the porch at Harper's Ferry. :D

OCDave
10-05-2014, 16:43
I "hike" in boots that weigh 2 lbs each. If you aren't doing the same then you are just a walker. If you were to complete the trail, you should consider yourself a "Thru-walker". That is unless you stopped, sat or laid down anywhere along the trail. You would then be considered a serial section walker.

Jack Tarlin
10-05-2014, 16:55
I met this young lady several times on her hike. Great kid, great family. I would like to go on the record and say that what she accomplished, considering her age, is magnificent. I would further like to say this: Some of the negative comments about her adventure here are shameful and merely serve to reflect poorly on the bitter, and yes, jealous people who anonymously felt the need to post them.....many of these people I know for a fact haven't hiked anywhere near the entire Appalachian Trail, and doubtless never will. I've said this before: People who have managed to surrender or give up on trying to achieve their own dreams will find a way to denigrate or demean the efforts of those who still strive to achieve THEIR dreams. People like this are best left avoided.

jjozgrunt
10-05-2014, 22:54
Well done young lady, I wish all young people had the same get up and go that you have exhibited. Well done to the parents as well for the excellent support of their child.

I love these threads, makes it very easy for me to pick out people that I would not like to associate with, the arm chair walkers and people so full of it that they think it has to be their way or it's not legitimate. The negative, pompous over opinionated experts on all things bush walking/hiking.

Some of the comments on this thread and others reminds me of that saying "Keep quite and be thought a fool rather than opening your mouth and confirming it". Just saying.

rafe
10-05-2014, 23:09

Sorry, I don't know your mom, but the thought of a 89 year old driving a motor home along steep winding mountain roads is just plain scary. I'll try to be extra careful at road crossings next summer. :)

rafe
10-05-2014, 23:28
There are shades of accomplishment, much as there are shades of grey. The ATC is the real arbiter of these nuances, I'm good with them calling it as they see it. As a 2000 miler, she is pretty heroic overall at her age. Thru hiking is far more than just walking sections and ticking them off trail maps, though for some folks it is just that.

Shades of accomplishment. Grades of achievement. Thru hike > section hike. :mad: Lotta folks here including myself would take some exception to that. But seriously... you have no idea of what anyone else has accomplished or achieved.

That fella ticking off sections may have spent the last 20+ years of long weekends and vacations to hike from Georgia to Maine. He may have a wife and family and a job and a house and car to pay off, college tuition to save for. He may well travel hundreds of miles to and from the trail with each section. You're in no position to pass judgement on any of that. I fart in the general direction of your nuances.

Walkin' with stuff
10-05-2014, 23:50

+1,000,000,000,000

Walkin' with stuff
10-05-2014, 23:52
A stunt. Well then. That makes speed hiking a stunt; hiking while blind a stunt; hiking with artificial limb(s) a stunt; thru-hiking more than once a stunt; hiking with a 12 lb pack a stunt; hiking with a 50 lb pack a stunt; never leaving the trail for town a stunt; going into every town a stunt; hiking before the age of 20 and after the age of 50 a stunt;......see where that can go? If it doesn't fit the parameters of the "By God I'm a real hiker and I know how it's supposed to be done!" people then it's all a stunt...right?

*****Snicker*****

Walkin' with stuff
10-05-2014, 23:54
I think theres are nuanced differences in this, even with the "hike your own hike" credo.

As Red Dog points out, the ATC has more specific (or less generalized?) Guidelines for certain labels and terms. This is true in a lot of things, someone who writes an editorial is not an author, an author is not a writer, etc. There are gradient shades of achievement.

Its a feat to be sure, 2000 miles is no small trick, even with mom and dad carrying most of your gear, picking you up at a road crossing and carrying you to a hot meal and hotel each night. However to call this an actual thru hike diminishes the effort many have put in to actually stay on the trail and suffering the nights, weather, social issues, and mental roadblocks that append these kinds of efforts, which are really the pieces that cause us to reach deep into ourselves for discovery of who we really are. I think it fair to say, most of us would not have that level of long distance hike support, nor would we consider that compatible with what the Trail is offering.

Are you always so smug and pedantic or do you reserve it for when you're on line?

MuddyWaters
10-06-2014, 00:01
Something becomes a "stunt" when you seek attention for it. Making "first" claims certainly falls in that category. Not intrinsically bad, but the claim needs to be legit. Just because a 15 yr old is involved, should not exempt a claim from scrutiny, as several here apparently think it should.

There are no rules, but clearly her hike is not a "normal" thru hike, and some who have done one, would take offense to having it promoted as such to a mass media that is totally ignorant about such things. That's OK, that is their right as well.

The good thing is, none of it matters. The ATC is also smart enough to stay above such things. Kudos to the young lady no matter how she did it.

atmilkman
10-06-2014, 00:09

...PATCHED IN.
Does she or does she not qualify for a man patch?
I say yes! She da man!

atmilkman
10-06-2014, 00:12

...PATCHED IN.
Does she or does she not qualify for the man patch?
I say yes! She da man!
(Wo)man.

rocketsocks
10-06-2014, 06:05
Does she or does she not qualify for the man patch?
I say yes! She da man!
(Wo)man.
Nice!:banana

Mags
10-06-2014, 11:27
At 15 years old, I think what she did was pretty cool.

Props to her parents for supporting this endeavor and being in the position to be able to support this endeavor, too.

At 15, I was washing dishes for my non-school activities. I think hiking is way more interesting. :)

david_1
10-06-2014, 11:40
cool circle here with a pic I thought might like to see:-)

http://www.blueridgeoutdoors.com/hiking/youngest-thru-hiker/

Coffee
10-06-2014, 12:45
She hiked solo on the trail and thru hiked, although she was more supported than more thru hikers. I have never read about controversies regarding support/unsupported except for fastest-known-time attempts. If I thru hike a trail and accept a soda from a trail angel or a ride into town does that mean I need an asterisk by my name since I had help on or near the trail?

ChefATLTCT
10-06-2014, 13:11
Every year in March goto GA and you will meet hundreds of people who call themselves thruhiker.

Tuckahoe
10-06-2014, 18:29
Okay I will Avoid you whenever I possibly can, the kind of person I really dislike is someone that tries to be KING **** of something such as WB or the AT when their really not.

Hhhmmmm...

NLaeger
10-06-2014, 19:03
I had the privilege of hiking with and around Chipmunk while she was doing her Thru Hike. She was one of the most dedicated hikers I have ever seen! She would laugh at the idea of slack packing and she would get back on the trail, literally, in the exact spot she got off of the trail every day. Yes she was supported by Mama Chip and the ChipMobile but she carried a stove,a tent, extra cloths, and food with here everyday. If you were to look in her pack she had everything that any other hiker would have...Yes we actually had to use those things most nights where she didn't but she still chose to carry them. At 15 she wore knee braces, just like the rest of us...The trail took its toll on her just as much as it did the rest of us. She hiked when she was sick and she hiked when she really didn't feel like it. That girl has more grit then most of us do. There were mornings (and she will hate me for putting this out there) that she would climb out of the chip mobile, wipe the tears from her face and walk back to the trail. Her parents never pressured her into continuing on days she didn't want to...her stubbornness and grit pushed her! Some say she didn't have to worry about the financial aspect of the hike, but her parents sure did. The family was essentially supporting two people living out on the trail while one parent (Papa Chip) went to work so that Chipmunk could have this experience. And let me tell you the fuel that it cost to run the Chipmobile wasn't cheap. Both Mama Chip and Chipmunk ate like normal hikers. They didn't run into town every night and have fancy meals. They typically stayed right at whatever trailhead Chipmunk finished at for the night. And being a hiker in and around Chipmunk was great. Mama Chip was always there to give us a hug when we came into a road crossing or a soda and to see how we were doing. She was looking out for us just as we were looking out for her daughter. So it was an unconventional thru hike, no doubt...But she walked that entire trail and endured the same things as we did...They even got rained on when the roof of the chip mobile leaked a few times. I think she is incredible and give her mad props for going out there and accomplishing such an amazing journey.

*as for her schooling, she was homeschooled and a year after her hike she has gotten her GED and is taking college classes. She isn't the awkward homeschool kid that sometimes goes with that lifestyle. She is outgoing and friendly!

rocketsocks
10-06-2014, 19:14
So glad you wrote this, enjoyed reading it...says a lot when folks speak on anothers behalf, she sounds like a really neat young lady, hopefully other young women will see her story and be inspired to do what ever is in their hearts desires. Big congrats on your hike as well NLaeger.

MuddyWaters
10-06-2014, 20:31
I had the privilege of hiking with and around Chipmunk while she was doing her Thru Hike.

And being a hiker in and around Chipmunk was great. Mama Chip was always there to give us a hug when we came into a road crossing or a soda and to see how we were doing.

You are obviously mistaken. I heard, on good authority, that she hiked SOLO.

As was said, there is no such thing on the AT.:)

lemon b
10-06-2014, 21:57
Not so sure she was the youngest. What she did was a top dollar accomplishment. Not even sure it would be legal for a 15 year old to thru hike without a parent being around. A big congrats to both her and her parents for allowing her to experience such a profound education! Who knows maybe we got another JFD in our clan. Obviously, she is a special young lady.

lonehiker
10-06-2014, 22:07
You are obviously mistaken. I heard, on good authority, that she hiked SOLO.

As was said, there is no such thing on the AT.:)

Simply because something was "said" does not mean that it is accurate. A quick analysis of the definition of solo.

Solo defined: a thing done by one person unaccompanied, in particular.
Unaccompanied defined: having no companion or escort.
Companion defined: a person or animal with whom one spends a lot of time or with whom one travels.

Using the simple definition of the above words, it would be quite easy to hike the AT (in spite of its large population) solo, as many have and will. Does her thru-hike warrant the designation of solo? I'm not sure if those that hiked "with and around" her, would make her accompanied. I would label most of my thru-hikes as solo in spite of the fact that there might have been a short segment, or two, that I walked and chatted with a "companion". One thru-hike of the TRT I did specifically hike accompanied (therefor not solo) even though we didn't necessarily travel together. We can play word games all day. The title of the thread is, "15 year old girl youngest ever to complete an AT thru hike". I don't see how anyone can refute this accomplishment.

Reference Red-Dog's wishes to avoid Mr. Tarlin. I understand why you would desire this as you will always be in the shadow of an icon of both the AT and WB.

JohnnySnook
10-07-2014, 00:10
I guess that cartwheel was 7 years old and Robin Hood who I think 8 or 9 aren't thru hikers either? Seems Mama Bear and All In hiked the whole trail with their kids.
http://kallinfamily.com
Maybe they should photoshop the kids out of this picture?

Lets not forget they passed a massive amount of thru hikers along the way also. If Wired is considered a Ghost than than the kids must be baby ghosts? Whoops, it wasn't a real thru hike. The parents carried the kids packs at times.

If I stop in a town and stay at hotel 100 nights out of thru hike does it not count? I did sleep in a few shelters and one night in a tent just so I could say I slept in a tent on the trail.
How many have truly solo hiked the AT. Never shared a camp site? Never slept in a shelter with others? Never stayed at a hotel? Only ate the food they could harvest? No sharing gear? NO TRAIL MAGIC??? No trips off the AT? That would mean you where helped by others and therefor it's not a solo hike.

I guess even talking to or hiking within sight or sound of another hiker disqualifies a solo hike.

4Bears
10-07-2014, 16:28
All in all I figure that Chipmunk doesn't really give a care about what is said in this forum but I will say this again. Well done Chipmunk!! A lifetime experience with a lifetime to experience!!

Speakeasy TN
10-07-2014, 17:06
I met this young lady several times on her hike. Great kid, great family. I would like to go on the record and say that what she accomplished, considering her age, is magnificent. I would further like to say this: Some of the negative comments about her adventure here are shameful and merely serve to reflect poorly on the bitter, and yes, jealous people who anonymously felt the need to post them.....many of these people I know for a fact haven't hiked anywhere near the entire Appalachian Trail, and doubtless never will. I've said this before: People who have managed to surrender or give up on trying to achieve their own dreams will find a way to denigrate or demean the efforts of those who still strive to achieve THEIR dreams. People like this are best left avoided.

+1 What Jack said!

BillyGr
10-07-2014, 17:25
The title of the thread is, "15 year old girl youngest ever to complete an AT thru hike". I don't see how anyone can refute this accomplishment.

Because others younger have completed Thru-Hikes (think Sunshine a couple years back).

Cookerhiker
10-07-2014, 19:53
I applaud her. Whether she's the youngest to do an "unsupported" hike is irrelevant and, from the article, didn't appear to be a hangup on the part of her or her parents. She simply wanted to thruhike the AT and she succeeded. More power to her!

MuddyWaters
10-07-2014, 20:14
Because others younger have completed Thru-Hikes (think Sunshine a couple years back).

Think Buddy Backpacker, what..5 yrs old?

And he didn't sleep in a camper at night.

I think the young lady has a tremendous accomplishment for a 15 yr old. However, being no where near the youngest thru hiker ever, she and her parents had to seek some other form of recognition for her. With no clear category to fit into.

"Youngest to thru hike in fully supported manner without daytime supervision of parent or legal guardian " fits the bill, but isn't newsworthy enough. Too bad "solo" is , at best, misleading .

rickb
10-07-2014, 21:30
Think Buddy Backpacker, what..5 yrs old?

And he didn't sleep in a camper at night.

Some amazing young children get taken along by their amazing parents on some amazing adventures.

But its not always like that.

Not sure who took whom along on this adventure, but I have an idea.

If my instincts are right on that, it makes Chipmunk's trip at her young age even more special.

It would also make it even more HER hike. Not a group hike at all.

A solo hike. How could anyone call it something different?

I hope they set her up with a big room at ALDA this weekend. I am old(er) but frankly I could use a little inspiration at this point in my life.

MuddyWaters
10-07-2014, 22:31
Some amazing young children get taken along by their amazing parents on some amazing adventures.

But its not always like that.

Not sure who took whom along on this adventure, but I have an idea.

If my instincts are right on that, it makes Chipmunk's trip at her young age even more special.

It would also make it even more HER hike. Not a group hike at all.

A solo hike. How could anyone call it something different?

I hope they set her up with a big room at ALDA this weekend. I am old(er) but frankly I could use a little inspiration at this point in my life.

Now you are haggling over the purity of a thru hike, and there is no such thing. If you walked the trail, you thru hiked. Doesn't matter what you carried, or didn't. If you wanted to be there, or not. If you enjoyed it or not, or if you did 12 mpd or 20.

I fully agree what she did was special for a 15 yr old girl. Given constraints of age, there wasn't many other ways to do it either.

Traveler
10-11-2014, 10:32
Shades of accomplishment. Grades of achievement. Thru hike > section hike. :mad: Lotta folks here including myself would take some exception to that. But seriously... you have no idea of what anyone else has accomplished or achieved.

That fella ticking off sections may have spent the last 20+ years of long weekends and vacations to hike from Georgia to Maine. He may have a wife and family and a job and a house and car to pay off, college tuition to save for. He may well travel hundreds of miles to and from the trail with each section. You're in no position to pass judgement on any of that. I fart in the general direction of your nuances.

Ahh! Apologies to all, I just reread my initial post and see I mangled the message, and got a fact wrong (which I acknowledged earlier). My intent was to say that achievements belong to the performers, those who observe them can be nuanced in how they position them. I too am a section hiker and my haste to complete the post I misstated the point.

Sorry to all who took offense.

Old Hiker
10-11-2014, 12:15
Ahh! Apologies to all, I just reread my initial post and see I mangled the message, and got a fact wrong (which I acknowledged earlier). My intent was to say that achievements belong to the performers, those who observe them can be nuanced in how they position them. I too am a section hiker and my haste to complete the post I misstated the point.

Sorry to all who took offense.

I guess my view is we are ALL section hikers until we summit. Every day towards the end of the Trail is a new section hike. Mine was 497 miles. I hope the next try is a completed thru hike.

I still have immense respect and admiration for a young lady who could walk the entire Trail in a season.

Rolls Kanardly
10-11-2014, 13:29
Sorry, I don't know your mom, but the thought of a 89 year old driving a motor home along steep winding mountain roads is just plain scary. I'll try to be extra careful at road crossings next summer. :)

This is why we have threads and posts that go along a winding road and then drop off the side of a mountain road. I neve said she was going to drive. Look for a very big motor home with a chaufer and a maid. yuk yuk
And you are right about an 89 year old driving a motor home. :D ;)Rolls

Pedaling Fool
10-13-2014, 09:30
She did a TEDx Youth presentation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsbsoHvlRSo

Coffee
10-13-2014, 11:55

Very impressive. The AT is obviously going to be only one of many of her accomplishments.

Pedaling Fool
10-13-2014, 13:16
Very impressive. The AT is obviously going to be only one of many of her accomplishments.Yeah, when I think of how I was when I was 15...Let's just say her parents would be smart to keep her away from 15-year old punks like myself:)

rocketsocks
10-13-2014, 13:49
...she says something very interesting at 9:28 bravo! on that point.

rocketsocks
10-13-2014, 13:51
...she says something very interesting at 9:28 bravo! on that point.
Oops...@ 8:00 min.

centerfieldr162
10-13-2014, 13:58
Oops...@ 8:00 min.

Definitely worth the watch to hear that.

Thanks Chipmunk!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

bamboo bob
10-13-2014, 15:48
this whole fastest, youngest, oldest, slowest record BS is out of control. i got the record for quitting 2 years in a row in gorham, n.h. whoopee! this young lady by her own admission is putting notches in her belt

Could not agree more.

lemon b
10-13-2014, 20:18
Semantics, contests, and the like are something I want to get away from when hiking. They seem to be the tools of the anti nature and outdoor lover. I shutter when I think how many trail related assets of clubs and the ATC get wasted on such matters. Almost makes my interest and love of trails lesson. What is this a trail forum or a courtroom ?

rafe
10-13-2014, 20:54
Semantics, contests, and the like are something I want to get away from when hiking. They seem to be the tools of the anti nature and outdoor lover. I shutter when I think how many trail related assets of clubs and the ATC get wasted on such matters. Almost makes my interest and love of trails lesson. What is this a trail forum or a courtroom ?

I don't think the ATC or their affiliates/associated clubs waste much (or any) effort to promote competitive activities on the trail. They're aware of their mission, and promoting competition is most definitely not part of their mission.

As far as Chipmunk's hike goes, I don't believe ATC had anything to do with it. Nor am I remotely concerned about the words used by any particular newspaper article to describe her effort or motivation. But I'll tell you what, she certainly was the youngest thru-hiker represented at the Gathering this last weekend. Seems like a fine young woman who deserves pride in her accomplishment -- and who's done her parents proud as well.

PapaGarrettP
10-14-2014, 13:39
She hiked her own hike. Isn't that what you guys are always advocating??

TheYoungOne
10-14-2014, 16:09
I find it funny how people are bashing the parents for following along in an RV and keeping tabs with a GPS. She is 15 years old! If they would have drop her off at Springer with all the right equipment, a cell phone and a credit card and said,"call us if you have a problem, if not we will you pick you up in Katahdin." those parents would be bashed in the media and put up on child endangerment charges if anything happened to her. Also I think in this day and age a unaccompanied minor would have harder time going it alone. She would have a tough time getting a room at a hotel or hostel. Spitting a room with other hikers...would any adult male want their name on that registry??? Also you need to be 18 to use credit card, carry a pocket knife or pepper spray, or be out pass curfew in most towns.

Also there is a big difference between 15 year olds in the 1960's, 70's, 80's and today teens. At 15 I was wandering round much more freely an was doing more things on my own then kids today do. I'm am unfortunately guilty of being a helicopter parent. I think most 15 year old kids today would go into the fetal position, if they were dropped off alone at a trail head and told tto hike 15 miles down trail alone.

JohnnySnook
10-15-2014, 04:30
Great video. Still many will discount what she achieved.

If your daughter looked like chipmunk and was 15 years old would you let her sleep on the trail with a bunch of horny(5 guys to 1 girl on the trail) drunk, stoned, 20 to 24 year old college kids?

Just saying….

Traveler
10-15-2014, 08:02
Great video. Still many will discount what she achieved.

If your daughter looked like chipmunk and was 15 years old would you let her sleep on the trail with a bunch of horny(5 guys to 1 girl on the trail) drunk, stoned, 20 to 24 year old college kids?

Just saying….

I'm not sure thats a real accurate portrayal of who is on the trail, though it may fit some. Those I have run into don't seem to fit that description outside of a few stumble bums that wander in to a shelter poorly placed too close to a road.

JohnnySnook
10-16-2014, 00:23
I'm not sure thats a real accurate portrayal of who is on the trail, though it may fit some. Those I have run into don't seem to fit that description outside of a few stumble bums that wander in to a shelter poorly placed too close to a road.

Well - I'm glad to here the stories about the use of drugs, booze, and sex by the younger crowd on the trail is not true.
To bad in the rest of society that is far from the case. From the pictures I've seen young people smoking joints and carrying cases of beer or bottles of hard liquor around seem to be the norm. In many cases water bottles seem to be drained of water and filled with a magical trail liquid?

I mean no upstanding senior in high school or 19 year old frat boy would think about getting a freshman girl intoxicated?

No matter how clean and great a student a young girl can be there will always be a guy that makes her heart stop and get the butterflies going. Hormones are something no one can control. I guess a sober pitstop at high attitude with a great view could be just as good for the right guy.

I'm of the middle aged crowd so I hope what we did in our youth hasn't been lost and I meet a nice woman my age to share a fine cocktail, wild mushroom soup, and a few smokes for a zero or nero and maybe some tent magic. Does this ever happen???

Just saying….

TheYoungOne
10-16-2014, 16:44

True, I think for the most part every AT shelter is not a scene from Animal House. However as a 40ish hiker who has a Teen daughter of his own would, I would not want to be alone in a small lean to shelter with some 15 year old girl. She would have the shelter to herself, and I would pitch my hammock just outside and I will be up all night making sure he is OK and no 2 or 4 legged animal messed with her. I give the parents credit, I would no let my kid hike it alone at that age.

DavidNH
10-16-2014, 20:14
I had the privilege of hiking with and around Chipmunk while she was doing her Thru Hike. She was one of the most dedicated hikers I have ever seen! She would laugh at the idea of slack packing and she would get back on the trail, literally, in the exact spot she got off of the trail every day. Yes she was supported by Mama Chip and the ChipMobile but she carried a stove,a tent, extra cloths, and food with here everyday. If you were to look in her pack she had everything that any other hiker would have...Yes we actually had to use those things most nights where she didn't but she still chose to carry them. At 15 she wore knee braces, just like the rest of us...The trail took its toll on her just as much as it did the rest of us. She hiked when she was sick and she hiked when she really didn't feel like it. That girl has more grit then most of us do. There were mornings (and she will hate me for putting this out there) that she would climb out of the chip mobile, wipe the tears from her face and walk back to the trail. Her parents never pressured her into continuing on days she didn't want to...her stubbornness and grit pushed her! Some say she didn't have to worry about the financial aspect of the hike, but her parents sure did. The family was essentially supporting two people living out on the trail while one parent (Papa Chip) went to work so that Chipmunk could have this experience. And let me tell you the fuel that it cost to run the Chipmobile wasn't cheap. Both Mama Chip and Chipmunk ate like normal hikers. They didn't run into town every night and have fancy meals. They typically stayed right at whatever trailhead Chipmunk finished at for the night. And being a hiker in and around Chipmunk was great. Mama Chip was always there to give us a hug when we came into a road crossing or a soda and to see how we were doing. She was looking out for us just as we were looking out for her daughter. So it was an unconventional thru hike, no doubt...But she walked that entire trail and endured the same things as we did...They even got rained on when the roof of the chip mobile leaked a few times. I think she is incredible and give her mad props for going out there and accomplishing such an amazing journey.

*as for her schooling, she was homeschooled and a year after her hike she has gotten her GED and is taking college classes. She isn't the awkward homeschool kid that sometimes goes with that lifestyle. She is outgoing and friendly!\\

NLeager thanks so much for this post! You reveal aspects of Chipmunk's experience that I would never otherwise have known. I respect her even more now reading what you have written about her!

DaveSail
11-02-2014, 20:03
Yes , I talked with her and Tammy and Jay at the Gathering , this past 10 / 11 . She is VERY bright , well - spoken and mature . Would never skip an inch of the trail : if the trails to - and - from
a sheter were not co - located , she would go back and do every bit ! In college we engineers , ( maybe everyone ) had to take a course in public - speaking . [ Speech 101 ? ! ] Anyway , a lot
of guys and gals would break down in tears when asked to speak to the class. Here , she gave a seminar to folks all older people , etc . , and by her own admission only missed one of her topic - cards.

When I mentioned that I started the first Sky - Diving club in the Air Force and was a Glider Flight Intructor , she said she would like to try both , as tasks on her " Buket - List " . However ,
her parents weren't too keen on the Sky - Diving ! They are eager for her to learn to fly . [ To late to solo on her 14th birthday ; the youngest the FAA will let you ! ] I have collected some
material on Soaring . Some from the SSA ( The Soaring Society of America ) , some from my local soaring club , some from Tom Knauff - one of the most highly regarded instructors / authors
in the country , and some of my own . I would like to mail it all to Neva , but neglected to get their address ! Does anyone know it ? Or , even an E - Mail or phone number where they can be
reached ? If someone DOES know the address , but doesn't want to post it on Whirte - Blaze , they can E - Mail me at : [email protected] (http://[email protected]) , or phone me at : 610 - 467 - 1410 , or
write me at : David V. Webber , 410 Oxford Road , Oxford , PA 19363 - 4213 .

Thanks in advance , David V. Webber , one of two with the trail name : " Ice Cream " !!

Rain Man
11-03-2014, 10:54
No matter how clean and great a student a young girl can be there will always be a guy that makes her heart stop and get the butterflies going. Hormones are something no one can control.

What a pitiful, outlandishly sexist comment, that females are uncontrollabe victims of their hormones about guys.

Rain Man

DaveSail
11-03-2014, 19:10
I have been wondering ?? What about all the Thru Hikers who stay at a Motel / Hotel / Hostel every time they get near a town ,
with a Queen - Sized Bed , Fancy Restaurant , Laundry , Shower and a local Grocery Store . Can THEY be called " True " Thru Hikers ?
Neva's parent's truck was WAY crude in comparrison , and sometimes cold and wet due to having the A / C scraped off the roof !

David V. Webber " Ice Cream "

shelb
11-05-2014, 00:34
So proud of her!!!

sketcher709
11-17-2014, 01:48
Wow Chipmunk way to go! Ignore the naysayers, you've already accomplished more than many of them can dream of doing themselves.

rhinodyson
11-26-2014, 17:10
Agree Entirely! I sure wouldn't let my 15 year old daughter hike anything alone. I won't let her walk home from school much less hike 2000 miles. If she did have help or didn't still an accomplishment!