PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Trail Meal?

"Macgyver"
09-25-2014, 19:41
So what is your favorite recipe on the trail. What I am looking for is one recipe that is tried and true. Tastes good, simple, light, etc. This would be the one meal you would have if you were out for a short hike or if you were on the trail for an extended hike.

bigcranky
09-25-2014, 20:43
A pouch of Knorr Broccoli Alfredo Noodles and a bag of real bacon crumbles. Make the noodles, add the bag of bacon. Maybe some Parmesan cheese and a squirt of butter if you have it. Pasta Carbonara on the trail. Yum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TNhiker
09-25-2014, 20:43
filet mignon..............that has been marinated all day in my pack in a ziplock bag...

cooked over fire....

fehchet
09-25-2014, 20:50
Avocado, tomato, onion, garlic, sprouts, salt & pepper, walnuts, and spinach if I have it -- with olive oil and cider vinegar. Drink the leftover juice.

Another Kevin
09-25-2014, 20:54
Dal bhaat tarkari. Instant rice; home-dehydrated lentils; home mix of dried mango, cashews or coconut, raisins, dehydrated veggies, cornstarch, and spices; maybe a pouch of chicken. Start the rice and lentils rehydrating, make the curry (which will be done before the lentils and rice), combine and enjoy. I call it 'Sherpa fuel.' Remember to tone down the seasoning before serving it to grandmothers from New England.

rocketsocks
09-25-2014, 21:24
Much as I like the "Burrito" and am working on perfecting my perfect fuss free look Ma no hands burrito, at the end of the day I want simplicity, that means adding some hot water but more importantly...eating with a fork/spoon and not having to use dirty hands, so for me, it's fettuccine Alfredo or a drinkable corn/tomato bisque for an even easier fare...an sometimes both.

July
09-25-2014, 21:31
Much as I like the "Burrito" and am working on perfecting my perfect fuss free look Ma no hands burrito, at the end of the day I want simplicity, that means adding some hot water but more importantly...eating with a fork/spoon and not having to use dirty hands, so for me, it's fettuccine Alfredo or a drinkable corn/tomato bisque for an even easier fare...an sometimes both.

Spoken like a tired traveller at the end of tha day, nothing says >cleanup> with just the lick of a spoon ;)

jimmyjam
09-25-2014, 21:40
four cheese mashed potatoes with beef crumbles. Or oreos dipped in peanutbutter.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

rocketsocks
09-25-2014, 21:43
Spoken like a tired traveller at the end of tha day, nothing says >cleanup> with just the lick of a spoon ;)
True Dat! :)

rafe
09-25-2014, 22:28
Knorr (aka Liptons) sides, with chunks of pepperjack cheese and pepperoni or summer sausage thrown in. A couple of cups of sweetened hot tea. I'm not much of a gourmet or foodie, on or off-trail. On weekend or very short section hikes I might take along one of those dehydrated Mountain House dinners. Kinda pricey but easy-sleazy, and usually tastes good.

atmilkman
09-25-2014, 22:44
2 packs of ready to eat bacon, 4 pieces of cheese, 4 slices of sandwich rounds, and some mustard. Put together like a Big Mac. Don't even have to boil water. It'll work for breakfast, lunch, or supper. Sometimes it works for all 3.

Rocket Jones
09-26-2014, 06:42
If I'm not feeling like cooking - crackers, sliced hard salami, kalamata olives and some good cheese.

Farr Away
09-26-2014, 12:27
Pasta and cheese with tuna and veggies.

At home, cook and dehydrate your pasta. Put it in a freezer bag with dry milk, butter buds, freeze dried veggies, and cheese powder (or bring a chunk of cheddar or velveeta).

On trail, boil water; add to bag with a pouch of tuna; put it in a cozy for about 15 minutes. Eat.

-FA

runt13
09-26-2014, 14:18
All of my hikes so far have been overnights, so there is nothing better then a med rare steak, baked potato, and red wine. I may need to rethink this when I start my section hikes in a few years.

RUNT ''13'

Ktaadn
09-26-2014, 14:24
filet mignon..............that has been marinated all day in my pack in a ziplock bag...

cooked over fire....

I would be too nervous about over-cooking it to try this.

I like Mountain House Mac & Chees with a foil pouch of salmon mixed in.

Starchild
09-26-2014, 15:17
Open breakfast sandwich, usually ham creating a bowl in my pot, topped with sliced hard boiled eggs and american cheese with a breakfast round half or bagel half topping it. Heat it slowly, allow the eggs to warm and the cheese to melt contained in the ham bowl and covered by the warming bread layer. When ready invert it and let it fall out. I would think the other side of the breakfast round or other half of the bagel could be added ontop then just reassembled in proper sandwich form after but I do better with lower carbs so half the bread works better for me.

Malto
09-26-2014, 17:14
I did 17 different dinners on my thruhike and primarily resupplies via mail drops. By far my favorite was Chicken helper fettucinni Alfredo with dehydrated chicken and an ounce or so olive oil added. It was just trail good, it was civilian good. I remember getting excited every time that hit my resupply box.

anvil440
09-26-2014, 19:13
Snickers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tuckahoe
09-26-2014, 19:39
This one has worked out pretty good for me --

I like to take about a 1/3 of a green pepper, 1/4 of an onion, about 1/2 cup of mushrooms, some whole stewed tomatoes coarsely chopped and 2/3 of a cup of pasta sauce. I will heat these up together to get the flavors going, but I dont want to cook the veggies down.

I cook up 2 ounces of pasta, my preference being bow tie. And once the pasta is cooked I mix it with the veggies and sause and let it sit for a couple hours, before putting it on the dehydrator.

When dried I will pack it with a bit of dried garlic, oregano, basil and dried red peppef flakes, along with some dried cheese and a 3oz package of pepperoni.

To cook, I dump everything into the pot except for the cheese and pepperoni, cover with just enough water and cook until rehydrated. Then pull off the burner, and put the pepperoni in to allow it to get hot. Enjoy!

The Cleaner
09-26-2014, 21:11
Cook 1 bag of Uncle Ben's boil in bag rice,set aside. Heat more water and make a bag of freeze dried peas. Then put butter and some spices in pan and add 1 foil pouch smoked salmon and saute with chopped onion. When hot add rice and peas and a little pepper. Chow down. Have 1 cup applesauce for desert. :)

July
09-26-2014, 21:56
Many "favorite" trail meals. The one that hits the spot at the right time. Always makes me look forward to the next "favorite"...:)

RED-DOG
09-27-2014, 10:30
Mac & cheese with bacon bites and with a medium summer sausage and a small red pepper sliced and added, for desert a tortilla wrap, a medium banana, Strawberry Cream cheese, Slice the banana in half if you want two. I don't fix this much but when I do it's Awesome. After a long day of up/down hill grinds and 20+ miles, anything in your food bag will be the best meal.

Damn Yankee
09-27-2014, 13:03
Orzo with cheddar cheese, powdered cheese, powdered milk and a can of chicken and some fresh veggies of your choice.

Damn Yankee
09-27-2014, 13:09
Orzo with cheddar cheese, powdered cheese, powdered milk and a can of chicken and some fresh veggies of your choice oh, and some butter.

Wise Old Owl
09-27-2014, 18:39
A massive Blimpie, or Wawa Hoagie Roast Beef, Mayo, touch of horseradish, A premium cheese and LTO first night out of town. Works two meals.

no worries.

OK how about this there are retort packs of sardines and oil I just found for a buck by crown prince?
A schmear of cream cheese on dense bread or a quality bagel, or cracker. The sardines, with a thinly sliced onion or Ramp and freshly ground black pepper. Empty the sardines into a bowl, add Dijon mustard to taste as well as a thin sliced Ramp, a dash of hot Chipotle sauce 28459for an added kick and mash into a spread with a fork. Yea!

some folk add a hard boiled egg to the mash to tone it down - the hot sauce becomes a "note" at that point... If you use the Sardines in oil - and don't use it all - put in glad bag (not china knock off) and you are OK - if in water you must consume upon opening the entire product.

anvil440
09-28-2014, 11:12
If I'm not feeling like cooking - crackers, sliced hard salami, kalamata olives and some good cheese.

I like this. Sometimes I'll do some veggie crackers with salami and Laughing Cow cheese. Very easy with no cooking. I don't like cooking unless I'm done walking for the day.

TJ aka Teej
09-28-2014, 14:43
What I call 'Thanksgiving' - packet of chicken, powdered potatoes, and stovetop stuffing. Mix the potatoes in a cup, mix the chicken into the stuffing.

MuddyWaters
09-28-2014, 17:33
The first day on trail or out of town some bring a luxury meal, even steak,hot sogs, etc. Honestly, if packing only 3 to 5 days, you can spare a few meal luxuries.

I like precooked seasoned beef crumbles, cheese, refried beans, taco sauce, tortillas. Heat the beef pouch in hot water, instant burritos or tacos, whatever you want to call it.

rocketsocks
09-28-2014, 17:56
The first day on trail or out of town some bring a luxury meal, even steak,hot sogs, etc. Honestly, if packing only 3 to 5 days, you can spare a few meal luxuries.

I like precooked seasoned beef crumbles, cheese, refried beans, taco sauce, tortillas. Heat the beef pouch in hot water, instant burritos or tacos, whatever you want to call it.
...one of my favorites, working on getting my gravel right.

July
09-28-2014, 19:16
...one of my favorites, working on getting my gravel right.
Socks I've had pretty good luck starting out with "ground sirloin" which can be upwards of 95% lean...

rocketsocks
09-28-2014, 20:40
Socks I've had pretty good luck starting out with "ground sirloin" which can be upwards of 95% lean...Ya know, i should'e checked with you first...I'll try that. Been a while since I did gravel, but it was to grissley as I recall, didn't even bother to package it, just re-hydrated it and ate it as an experiment. thanks fer da tip!

July
09-28-2014, 21:21
[QUOTE=rocketsocks;1911501]Ya know, i should'e checked with you first...I'll try that. Been a while since I did gravel, but it was to grissley as I recall, didn't even bother to package it, just re-hydrated it and ate it as an experiment. thanks fer da tip![/QUOTE/]

More and more often at home, I find myself eating like I do on the trail. :D

rocketsocks
09-28-2014, 21:30
[QUOTE=rocketsocks;1911501]Ya know, i should'e checked with you first...I'll try that. Been a while since I did gravel, but it was to grissley as I recall, didn't even bother to package it, just re-hydrated it and ate it as an experiment. thanks fer da tip![/QUOTE/]

More and more often at home, I find myself eating like I do on the trail. :DNothin wrong with a midnight burrito...on a whim.

"just heatin' some water for tea dear, be up in a bit, go back to sleep" :D

July
09-28-2014, 21:46
[QUOTE=rocketsocks;1911517][QUOTE=July;1911513]Nothin wrong with a midnight burrito...on a whim.

"just heatin' some water for tea dear, be up in a bit, go back to sleep" :D[/QUOTE/]

Sometimes a little odd when family catches you out on the porch, hovering over a 850ml pot on a alchy stove cooking pasta/bouillon ,onion, ginger, garlic with a bottle of sriracha sauce in your hand (at midnight) :D

rocketsocks
09-28-2014, 21:54
[QUOTE=rocketsocks;1911517][QUOTE=July;1911513]Nothin wrong with a midnight burrito...on a whim.

"just heatin' some water for tea dear, be up in a bit, go back to sleep" :D[/QUOTE/]

Sometimes a little odd when family catches you out on the porch, hovering over a 850ml pot on a alchy stove cooking pasta/bouillon ,onion, ginger, garlic with a bottle of sriracha sauce in your hand (at midnight) :D
...or she comes out on the porch and catches me with a 750ml bottle of Tequila and asks me "why did you take all the lemons outta the ice tea pitcher"

"cause we didn't have any more limes" :eek:

atmilkman
09-28-2014, 22:13
Snickers.

Snickers are good. One way to make them better is to wrap them in bacon.

lemon b
09-29-2014, 21:39
Commonly found. Mountain House Spagetti with meat sauce 3/4 the called for water.
Not so common Sausage links, cooked anyway. Also I like Lima beans, morton season salt. Take them out of can get rid of juice, put in baggie, a pinch of Old Bay seasoning helps too.

July
09-29-2014, 22:31
Coming out of Hiawassee Ga. once upon a time, purchased a foot long breakfast sammie which I consumed later around noon on a high mtn vista. So dang good, still makes my mouth water...:)

anvil440
09-30-2014, 08:48
Snickers are good. One way to make them better is to wrap them in bacon.

Ooh. That does sound good.

chrisoc
10-25-2014, 15:59
Citadel spread

gpburdelljr
10-25-2014, 21:37
Fresh caught trout cooked on a flat rock next to the coals of a fire.

July
10-25-2014, 21:41
On first night out of town carry a sweet potato wrapped in foil. Cook in fire coals and top w/ taco bell hot sauce :D Lip smackin' good...

JumpMaster Blaster
10-25-2014, 21:56
For ease of preparation and very filling? A pouch of Idahoan mashed potatoes (any kind) with dehydrated chicken and dehydrated green beans. I open the pouch, throw in the dehydrated stuff, add some seasonings, and seal it up in my Foodsaver. Pour boiling water right in the package (a little more than it calls for), set in cozy and it's good to go.

Better yet, I've had some MREs that were pretty damn tasty at the end of the day as well. MRE Chicken & Noodles, Meatloaf, and Spaghetti cant be beat.

Mountain House Mexican Style Chicken and Chicken & Rice were pretty good. Want to know what was not so good? Their Scrambled Eggs & Bacon. No, no, no.

Monkeywrench
10-26-2014, 08:44
Citadel spread

Citadel Spread! I haven't heard or seen that mentioned in years. Now you're taking me back...

chrisoc
10-26-2014, 10:23
Citadel Spread! I haven't heard or seen that mentioned in years. Now you're taking me back...
There was another trail staple Ed Garvy described, but I can't remember what it was.

Hikes in Rain
10-26-2014, 11:29
Appalachian Trail Mix: two cups of brown rice, one cup of barley,and one cup of lentils. Good filling nutritious stuff, bur takes an hour to cook!

Sacchoromyces
11-25-2014, 13:45
Breakies: oats (not instant but quick cook/rolled) and GOOD peanut butter mixed together,

Supper: noodles/cheese/dried beef or jerky - cook the beef/erky in the noodles, add cheese(s) and allow to mellow,

On trail (snacks or lunch): salami or pancetta with grapes, apple, and olives.

Just Bill
11-25-2014, 14:37
Ramen Noodles-
Creamy Chicken with dried mushrooms, green onions, red pepper flakes or chili's and oregano, some Dill if I have it.

Seriously- my wife won't let me eat it at home and it has turned into my trail treat.

RED-DOG
11-25-2014, 15:18
if you want a quick snack try "Moose Goo" easily made and easy to pack and it will last for days, it makes an awesome snack.

saltysack
11-30-2015, 21:36
What I call 'Thanksgiving' - packet of chicken, powdered potatoes, and stovetop stuffing. Mix the potatoes in a cup, mix the chicken into the stuffing.

Have you ever tried mixing all ingredients in ziplock then adding hot water? Not add chicken till end?

Rolex
11-30-2015, 23:06
All of my hikes so far have been overnights, so there is nothing better then a med rare steak, baked potato, and red wine. I may need to rethink this when I start my section hikes in a few years.

RUNT ''13'

i carried a steak, potato, and a six pack of beer up the trail in Montana on day one of a hike. Beer went into a mountain stream to chill while steak and potato cooked on a campfire.
God! That was good!

RockDoc
12-01-2015, 14:45
Best one-pot meal: sausage, eggs, and cheese
Cures the hunger problem for a long time and provides slow-burn fuel without insulin spike/crash

hikerhobs
12-05-2015, 10:20
Pack-it gourmet, Dotties chicken and dumplings or mountain house biscuits and gravy.

Connie
12-05-2015, 10:27
I like the angelhair noodles and peanut powder recipe.

I also like indian cuisine chole (spiced chickpeas) in a burrito wrap.

I think I will really like trying the suggestions, here.

I love chicken and dumplings. I love biscuits and gravy.

Pringles
12-05-2015, 11:54

Put in a few Craisens for that cranberry sauce effect!

saltysack
12-05-2015, 13:00
Put in a few Craisens for that cranberry sauce effect!

You use 2 separate cups or zip locks bags? Wondered if I would taste ok to pre mix stuffing, potatoes and gravy into one container or bag then add chicken after called for amount of water.

squeezebox
12-05-2015, 15:23
Moose goo recipe recipe please.
Tell me more about cooking fish or steak on a rock in the coals, maybe a piece of Al foil to reduce sticking?
Has anyone ever done a cost analysis about home dehydrated meals?
Thanks

Bird Dawg
12-06-2015, 00:02
Simple and easy favorite....Knorr's Red Beans and Rice with sliced Slim Jims or summer sausage mixed in.

Mtsman
12-06-2015, 04:44
Moose goo recipe recipe please.....
Thanks

Squeeze,

Basic Recipe:

2 parts honey
2 parts corn flour (NOT corn meal! I plan to try sweet rice flour soon.)
1 part peanut butter (preservative-laden)
Mix thoroughly, will take some time.
Pack into Coghlan's Squeeze Tube (REI, Campmor, etc), or in cold weather wrap in wax paper.

this is directly from Joe's Ultralight page : http://www.ultralightbackpacker.com/moosegoo.html

Enjoy

Jake2c
12-06-2015, 10:37
Not trying to sound glib but basically, not what I ate yesterday. What ever I felt like eating yesterday will get old if I eat it 2 or 3 times in a row. I can live on it, but what ever it is will fall lower on the list very quickly. I used to really like Nutella for lunch, made the mistake of only taking that for a weeks worth of lunches. I don't eat it at all now. I'm sure eventually it will become appetizing again but . . . . .

Hosh
12-06-2015, 14:14
Moose goo recipe recipe please.
Tell me more about cooking fish or steak on a rock in the coals, maybe a piece of Al foil to reduce sticking?
Has anyone ever done a cost analysis about home dehydrated meals?
Thanks

I figure my cost for home made dehydrating is about 2/3's of a typical Mountain House meal. It may be more since MH seems to be raising prices, at least at the local REI.
I been doing my own for about 5 years and can recommend recipes from a guy named Babelfish5 on Youtube. I really like the beef stroganoff, tuna casserole, southwest omelet, spaghetti, and chicken & rice. I tend to adjust the recipe for my own taste, but he has a good foundation.

Cost isn't the primary motivation, it's really secondary. I do like to know what's in the meal and don't need it to last 25 years.

I store everything in glass mason jars that are vacuumed sealed and stored in a freezer. I have had hamburger gravel last over 3 years using this method.

Hosh
12-06-2015, 14:28
Squeeze,

Basic Recipe:

2 parts honey
2 parts corn flour (NOT corn meal! I plan to try sweet rice flour soon.)
1 part peanut butter (preservative-laden)
Mix thoroughly, will take some time.
Pack into Coghlan's Squeeze Tube (REI, Campmor, etc), or in cold weather wrap in wax paper.

this is directly from Joe's Ultralight page : http://www.ultralightbackpacker.com/moosegoo.html

Enjoy

How do you get the peanut butter out of the Coghlan's tube. I did a P&J rollup this summer for lunch and ended up pitching the tube after several cleaning attempts.

George
12-06-2015, 15:31
I carry a very simple fuel tab kitchen, so one common "luxury" trail meal:

pork chop on a sharpened stick cooked over a fire, toasted bun or roll and brown mustard - I have eaten as many as 6 of these PC belly pleasers in an evening

Deacon
12-06-2015, 21:13
I figure my cost for home made dehydrating is about 2/3's of a typical Mountain House meal. It may be more since MH seems to be raising prices, at least at the local REI.
I been doing my own for about 5 years and can recommend recipes from a guy named Babelfish5 on Youtube. I really like the beef stroganoff, tuna casserole, southwest omelet, spaghetti, and chicken & rice. I tend to adjust the recipe for my own taste, but he has a good foundation.

Cost isn't the primary motivation, it's really secondary. I do like to know what's in the meal and don't need it to last 25 years.

I store everything in glass mason jars that are vacuumed sealed and stored in a freezer. I have had hamburger gravel last over 3 years using this method.

These are my meals exactly. I've been living on the HungryHammockHangers recipes for several years. Hard to beat the quality, without being overloaded with sodium.

Mtsman
12-22-2015, 04:21
How do you get the peanut butter out of the Coghlan's tube. I did a P&J rollup this summer for lunch and ended up pitching the tube after several cleaning attempts.

When you mix the honey it thins up a bit but if it gets cold or is hard to get out of the tube I open up the back and use a spoon.

ohhhh, if you mean cleanup after the tube is used then I use a bit of dawn hand soap and really hot (almost boiling) water VERY CAREFULLY seal up the back side of the tube with both mixed in and let it sit. Every once in awhile I will shake the sealed tube but for the most part the hot water and dawn combo works enough to not make me want to pitch it. YMMV

RangerZ
12-22-2015, 07:18

+1 on HHH's beef chili mac, better than MH..Made some last weekend.

ChuckT
01-14-2016, 20:06
Wasn't Garvey's other meal a Tuna and Rice something. I tried it one time and decided that he'd left out some essential step or another.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Tapatalk