PDA

View Full Version : Bean burger eat it or not?

freightliner
09-25-2014, 20:07
All I do now is think about next years thru-hike and all the fun things I can do. I keep going back to the Shenandoah National Park my favorite place on the AT. For anyone who don't know they have Waysides there that serve burgers, fries, and killer shakes. One of the burgers is called a bean burger and it delicious. It has three times the protein and it will last at least 10 miles of energy. I look at food as miles before eating again. Snickers is two miles at best. Anyhow the thing about the bean burger is I think it goes beans beans the more I eat the more I toot. Is OK to eat something that will scare a bear away. Where do you draw the line at trail etiquette?

rocketsocks
09-25-2014, 20:36
being wind assisted on the trail is absolutely ok in my book...love me some legumes.

dangerdave
09-26-2014, 06:38
Does "freightliner" come from the frequent sound of fog horns?

Anyway, toot on! I'm quite the night-farter myself...much to my wife's chagrin. I'll be tenting mostly. A kindness I will extend to my fellow hikers.

The Shenandoah Valley and National Park is one of my favorite places on this planet! Dark Hollow, Old Rag, and all the rest. Great memories...with more to come. I'm looking forward to Virginia on the thru-hike.

denefi
09-26-2014, 07:36
Sounds delicious! And re: tooting - go for it. For better or worse, I always find that the time strikes exactly when I'm hiking/biking/running past someone. I think it's my subconscious relishing in the awkward.

An alternative to Snickers when you're outside of bean burger territory is chowing down on a jar of peanut butter each day. That'll be part of my game plan from the start, and I'll keep it going as long as I can (i.e., until I get sick of it). For $4 or so, you get 100 gm protein and about 2,500 calories, much of which is made up of fat. I figure that'll be about half my calories per day, and it's better than just having sugary carb or candy.

I'll still go for the bean burger, though :)

squeezebox
09-26-2014, 10:22
Any good recipes for bean burgers?

rocketsocks
09-26-2014, 11:04
Sounds delicious! And re: tooting - go for it. For better or worse, I always find that the time strikes exactly when I'm hiking/biking/running past someone. I think it's my subconscious relishing in the awkward.

An alternative to Snickers when you're outside of bean burger territory is chowing down on a jar of peanut butter each day. That'll be part of my game plan from the start, and I'll keep it going as long as I can (i.e., until I get sick of it). For $4 or so, you get 100 gm protein and about 2,500 calories, much of which is made up of fat. I figure that'll be about half my calories per day, and it's better than just having sugary carb or candy.

I'll still go for the bean burger, though :) Yes, Crop dusting day hikers is allowed. :D