PDA

View Full Version : angel in New Mexico

manzana
09-26-2014, 06:31
After hearing some harrowing stories from the Warrior Hikers this summer about New Mexico, I would like to try angelling there next season. What would be some God-forsaken place in the Land of Enchantment where an oasis would be most appreciated? Angel Apple

garlic08
09-26-2014, 08:46
One problem with the CDT is there are multiple routes. For instance, my first thought would be at Emory Pass north of Deming, but that's on the Wolf Route and not on the official CDT, as I recall (it's been a while for me).

Maybe something around El Malpais north of Pie Town, a long dry road walk as I remember. There was an option to hike the Zuni-Acoma Trail, but I couldn't due to lack of water.

Or somewhere south of Cuba. I recall hiking on some Zuni land there. They were friendly folks who helped with water.

Thanks, Apple. I may have stopped at your camp on the AT in '08 and had a bottle of juice while you were out. Same Apple?

manzana
09-26-2014, 18:50
Thanks for the great ideas, yup that was yours truly on the AT. apple

bearcreek
09-27-2014, 09:01
The most water difficult part of the trail is in the Black Range. A great place for those hikers would be where the trail crosses Hwy 59 near Winston. The Black Range doesn't get hiked much compared to the unofficial Gila River route, so you probably would not have much to do there. I would suggest someplace just north of where the Black Range and Gila routes come back together and south of Hwy 12. It's really lonely in there and both routes are together so you would see everyone coming through.

manzana
09-27-2014, 19:28
Great. Will check it out. Lots of the Warriors appreciated your help this year. apple