PDA

View Full Version : 1 pound of footware = x pounds in backpack?

lobster
10-14-2005, 14:42
Any brainiac know TO THE OUNCE what x might be?

tlbj6142
10-14-2005, 14:48
Any brainiac know TO THE OUNCE what x might be?According to an article in bp'er about 2 years ago, the number is 6.2# (I'll let you convert that to ounces).

Though, many folks seem to use the 1#:5# ratio qutie a bit. There really isn't an exact number as the ratio has to due with your body's proportions which affect moment arm length, pathway conditions (uphill, downhill, side hill), etc.

Frosty
10-14-2005, 15:11
Any brainiac know TO THE OUNCE what x might be?You can make up any number you want. It isn't like there is a valid mathematical model that is being used. No on even agrees what is being compared/ General energy expeniture? Fatigue? Speed? Pressure on knee and hip joints?

Mouse
10-14-2005, 15:30
I am really skeptical about that entire concept.

soulrebel
10-14-2005, 16:58
Well my 7oz (ea) racing flats destroyed my feet and ankles on my marathon last weekend.

so if you go so light that it's like being barefoot-You might as well go barefoot. j/k

My regular runners weigh in at about 12oz each--the extra cush would've saved me. /sigh..

betic4lyf
10-14-2005, 17:10
i dont know about hiking, but i have heard that when racing track, every ounce of a shoe is worth two seconds per mile. that is why racing spikes that are used by pros weigh 4.8 oz, and racing flats go down to around 4 oz

i personally have an awesome pair of flats that weigh 5.5oz each

Nightwalker
10-16-2005, 11:15
The army has done an in-depth study, using correct scientific principles that came up near the 6.2# number listed above. I wish that I could remember the link. I didn't save it, but I saw the "short version" available for public viewing as a PDF file. It was boring and interesting at the same time.

Or maybe I just dreamed it...

:D

lobster
10-16-2005, 12:00
I was joking about the ounce part!

It is a real good topic for a senior thesis in possibly "kinesiology".

Heater
10-16-2005, 12:09
I'm just guessin' here but they I think would weigh exactly the same in your backpack as they would on your feet.
:banana

alanthealan
10-16-2005, 21:16
A 05 hiker Onstar is a Bio Eng she looked up this matter and i think she posted the answers on a past thread.

SGT Rock
10-17-2005, 04:39
Here is that thread: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7744&highlight=foot+pounds+back

lobster
10-17-2005, 10:50
some thoughts:

1. x pounds of weight for footwear causes the body to expend more energy than x pounds of weight in your backpack. Note, the up and down motion is more work than the generally stationary height of your back when walking. Meaning, your back generally stays parallel to the grade you are walking on.

2. The x pounds of extra weight in the footwear probably has more stress on your joints than if it was on your back. The pulling up and pounding(well, if its in the backpack the pounding must be the same???) effect on the ankle joint, etc. Kinesiology and distribution of the weight over more body area would seem to be large factors in the expenditure of energy. Note, badly distributed weight in your backpack could easily cause bouncing around that increases stress on your back during a hike. Note, the weight closer to your body in the backpack decreases the torque!

Note, I'm going for an hour mountain walk out here in the desert in a few minutes, so I'll dwell on this topic a little! Who asked this question in the first place??

Youngblood
10-17-2005, 11:45
some thoughts:

1. x pounds of weight for footwear causes the body to expend more energy than x pounds of weight in your backpack. Note, the up and down motion is more work than the generally stationary height of your back when walking. Meaning, your back generally stays parallel to the grade you are walking on.

2. The x pounds of extra weight in the footwear probably has more stress on your joints than if it was on your back. The pulling up and pounding(well, if its in the backpack the pounding must be the same???) effect on the ankle joint, etc. Kinesiology and distribution of the weight over more body area would seem to be large factors in the expenditure of energy. Note, badly distributed weight in your backpack could easily cause bouncing around that increases stress on your back during a hike. Note, the weight closer to your body in the backpack decreases the torque!

Note, I'm going for an hour mountain walk out here in the desert in a few minutes, so I'll dwell on this topic a little! Who asked this question in the first place??
Hey, why don't you do an experiment to test your...:dance ... errr... anyhow, put a 1lb ankle weight on your left ankle and carry a 5lb weight on your right shoulder and see if your left side or your right side tires out faster. And take photos for us.