PDA

View Full Version : ULA Rocks!!

CarlZ993
09-26-2014, 10:42
I used the ULA Circuit pack on my 2013 AT hike. Held up great. In fact, I think it was the most common pack I saw on the AT.

This year, I took my ULA pack on an attempted Colorado Trail Thru-hike. Early in the hike, an unknown critter chewed off my right shoulder strap, sternum strap, & one of the elastic straps on my shoulder strap. Due to this & a lingering back injury that wasn't healing on the trail, I decided to abort my hike.

After much procrastination on my part, I finally contacted Chris @ ULA about the pack. He said to mail it back to them to see if they could repair it. I did. And this morning, the pack returned by FedEx. It was repaired. He didn't charge me for the repair. I was prepared to pay for any and all repairs if necessary. In fact, I was prepared to buy a new one if it wasn't repairable.

What a company! If any of you are in the market for a new backpack, I strongly recommend ULA.

Tramp
10-05-2014, 13:27
yep! All pack decisions are easy....ULA .

bpowell1014
10-05-2014, 19:43
I too have had nothing but excellent experiences with ULA. When I first got the pack, I wasn't sure that it fit right. I emailed them and Chris later called me, suggested that I have a picture taken of me wearing the pack so he could evaluate. I did and he confirmed I had the correct pack that fit correctly. That was great service.

Recently, the pack cover I had for the ULA Circuit became defective and he exchanged it with no questions asked after I explained the problem I was having. Received the replacement in less than a week.

I cannot possibly overstate how much I think this is an excellent company with excellent products. Highly recommend and I share your sentiments.

Tramp
10-05-2014, 20:26
I read threads all over this site about what pack should I get what size pack should I get ,,,asking for recommendations. if thay only knew how easy it is . 1-go to the ULA web site 2- pick out the pack 3-place order !! 4- jump for joy !!! got a problem ?? call or send an email...problem solved !

swjohnsey
10-06-2014, 09:07
I don't think you can beat the customer service at ULA. I tore a hole in one of the pockets of my Ohm 2.0 sqeezing through a tight spot on the way up Katahdin. Sent it to Chris for a patch and got a new pack back, unbelievable!

Woof Shaven
10-06-2014, 20:20
I just ordered a ULA Catalyst. It's still in the mail. I did a lot of research on packs. I wasn't sure I would have the range (daily forward progress in miles) to safely justify getting the Circuit. I wanted something light, but traditional in size so that I could make a few mistakes in gear choices, clothing, and most of all I'll probably pack 3 more days food that most people due to range anxiety. I worry my daily average will be 8 miles or less.

The pack is the first item ordered of the Big Three: Pack, sleep system, and tent. I think I'll go tent instead of hammock. I'll feel like I accomplished something if my big three comes in under 10 pounds. I'm also looking at the Therm-a-Rest Z Lite Sol sleeping pad. I'm a lazy packer and I don't really like stuffing. I don't know how much vertical space I'll have in the ULA Catalyst so I plan to strap the Z Lite outside. I hear it makes a great kick stand for your pack whoever you set it down. I also hear most people store the inflatables inside the pack due to puncture considerations. I need to see how much vertical space I actually have before I make my sleeping pad decision. Inside the pack, outside the pack. Kickstand or not.

Got my tent and bag wish listed at least in my imagination anyways. Thinking about Leki trekking poles and some kind of titanium cookware. I hear alcohol stoves are in favor on the trail. I"m still stove clueless. I'm currently leaning towards something with no simmering capabilities what so ever but doesn't sound like a jet engine either.

My digital hanging scale is in the mail too. I hope to come in under 30LBs when I hit the trail next April. NOBO from Spring Mountain to Hot Springs is my goal.

Coffee
10-06-2014, 20:23
The Catalyst is really big so you should have plenty of room inside the pack. I had the Catalyst before the Circuit and found it very roomy for my gear.

saltysack
10-06-2014, 22:42
I just ordered a ULA Catalyst. It's still in the mail. I did a lot of research on packs. I wasn't sure I would have the range (daily forward progress in miles) to safely justify getting the Circuit. I wanted something light, but traditional in size so that I could make a few mistakes in gear choices, clothing, and most of all I'll probably pack 3 more days food that most people due to range anxiety. I worry my daily average will be 8 miles or less.

The pack is the first item ordered of the Big Three: Pack, sleep system, and tent. I think I'll go tent instead of hammock. I'll feel like I accomplished something if my big three comes in under 10 pounds. I'm also looking at the Therm-a-Rest Z Lite Sol sleeping pad. I'm a lazy packer and I don't really like stuffing. I don't know how much vertical space I'll have in the ULA Catalyst so I plan to strap the Z Lite outside. I hear it makes a great kick stand for your pack whoever you set it down. I also hear most people store the inflatables inside the pack due to puncture considerations. I need to see how much vertical space I actually have before I make my sleeping pad decision. Inside the pack, outside the pack. Kickstand or not.

Got my tent and bag wish listed at least in my imagination anyways. Thinking about Leki trekking poles and some kind of titanium cookware. I hear alcohol stoves are in favor on the trail. I"m still stove clueless. I'm currently leaning towards something with no simmering capabilities what so ever but doesn't sound like a jet engine either.

My digital hanging scale is in the mail too. I hope to come in under 30LBs when I hit the trail next April. NOBO from Spring Mountain to Hot Springs is my goal.

I'd rethink.....circuit is plenty of room......IMO...I'm light but not a gram weenie.....easy to get a tent/tarp at 2 lbs for 2 person and a good 20 deg down bag ie marmot helium lil over 2 lbs under $300...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jjozgrunt
10-07-2014, 03:56
A ULA pack is on my short list but the problem I have is postage to and from Australia if I don't like it and it need to be returned. Can't find anyone here that has one and lives close, to look over the pack.

saltysack
10-07-2014, 07:44
A ULA pack is on my short list but the problem I have is postage to and from Australia if I don't like it and it need to be returned. Can't find anyone here that has one and lives close, to look over the pack.

U will not be disappointed....

Coffee
10-07-2014, 07:48
Postage can be expensive but the cost of hiking with the wrong pack would be higher. I would suggest taking your measurements carefully and then following the guidelines on torso size selection provided on the ULA site. If the measurement is somewhat ambiguous or seems in between sizes, Chris might be able to provide input on making the decision to try to get it right the first time. Being in the United States, I actually ordered and paid for two Circuits - a medium and a large - so I could test both out inside my home. I took photos of both loaded packs on me and sent the pictures to Chris and he helped me make the decision. Then I sent the medium back and kept the large. Outbound shipping from ULA only cost slightly more than shipping one pack. And I mailed back the medium for a $10 flat fee to ULA. So that worked out for me. International shipping may make this prohibitive but again other than shoes, the pack is the most critical piece of gear that needs to fit the body so being willing to spend the money if needed to get the right size is something to seriously consider.

Tramp
10-07-2014, 10:19
[QUOTE=Woof Shaven;1913634]I just ordered a ULA Catalyst. It's still in the mail. I did a lot of research on packs. I wasn't sure I would have the range (daily forward progress in miles) to safely justify getting the Circuit. I wanted something light, but traditional in size so that I could make a few mistakes in gear choices, clothing, and most of all I'll probably pack 3 more days food that most people due to range anxiety. I worry my daily average will be 8 miles or less.

Got my tent and bag wish .....

Hey, have you read this ?http://blackwoodspress.com/blog/15885/ultralight-backpacking-gear-list-2013/
It was helpfull to me.

Studlintsean
10-07-2014, 12:19
I'm also looking at the Therm-a-Rest Z Lite Sol sleeping pad. I'm a lazy packer and I don't really like stuffing. I don't know how much vertical space I'll have in the ULA Catalyst so I plan to strap the Z Lite outside. I hear it makes a great kick stand for your pack whoever you set it down. I also hear most people store the inflatables inside the pack due to puncture considerations. I need to see how much vertical space I actually have before I make my sleeping pad decision. Inside the pack, outside the pack. Kickstand or not.

I have a circuit and use a Therm-a-Rest Z Lite Sol sleeping pad in the summer months. I pack it vertically inside the circuit in one side and then stuff my sleeping bag loosely in the other side at the bottom. Everything else (not outside the pack) goes on top of that.

Coffee
10-07-2014, 12:26
[QUOTE=Woof Shaven;1913634]
Hey, have you read this ?http://blackwoodspress.com/blog/15885/ultralight-backpacking-gear-list-2013/
It was helpfull to me.

Can a CDT really carry a 26 pound total load well? That's usually where I have my Circuit for a 4-5 day hike and the Circuit carries such weight very well, as I think the Ohm 2.0 would as well.

Mags
10-07-2014, 13:44
Can a CDT really carry a 26 pound total load well? That's usually where I have my Circuit for a 4-5 day hike and the Circuit carries such weight very well, as I think the Ohm 2.0 would as well.

Depends upon a person's comfort level, I imagine?

"Back in the day" I used an old Lynn Wheldon 1 lb mesh pack that is the granddaddy of lightweight frameless packs.

I carried 10 days of food and an ice axe (42 lbs total). It was NOT comfortable the first 2-3 days I will say that much! :D But I am also broad shouldered and look like an extra from the dockworker's union. :)

A thinner framed person may not like it.

I had a GoLite Jam (old style), very similar to the ULA CDT, and it would carry similar weights OK (the infamous 10 lbs of pork roast for a hut trip)

If you *occasionally* overpack a light pack, it should be OK if you can handle he weight. If you constantly overpack something, however, I think the pack will be destroyed. It is what happened to my GoLite pack. Guilty as charged!

A 1lb pack is not meant to really carry 30+ lbs on a consistent basis I find.

YMMV.

Dogwood
10-07-2014, 14:08
I'm on my fifth ULA CDT backpack. I get at least 3500 but often more trail miles out of each one. The current one I have that I bought used for $90 has about 4600 of my own trail miles on it. It's still in good overall working shape but the thin stretchy tulle like mesh material has many stitched repairs. Thank goodness ULA went back to a more durable outside pocket fabric! Chris at ULA graciously sent me free to me new tulle fabric to make my own complete repairs though. I got slightly more than 6000 trail miles on one ULA CDT backpack not to mention countless traveling through airports, bus stations, etc miles on it. *I CONSIDER THE CURRENT PRICE OF $135 for the ULA CDT A GREAT BALANCE IN FEATURES, DURABILITY, and PRICE FOR THIS UL OF A BACKPACK.

After buying three new(two were bought for the then $125 price) and two slightly used ULA CDT backpacks AND having sometimes gotten used to hiking without clasping the waist belt while hauling sub 20 lb loads I would say 25 lbs, possibly 30-32 lbs for short durations, is about max for this backpack, using the hipbelt. However, there's some room for play in the carrying comfort depending on exactly what suspension/pad you use for the virtual suspension;this is, after all a rucksack type backpack. I typically use a folded and partially inflated(inflate after backpack is totally packed) NeoAir XLite Shortie or NeoAirXLite Women's inflatable pad for my suspension. Works well, although the older now discontinued NeoAir Pro Lite 3 inflatable pad in some ways(it's thinner for one) worked better as a suspension. I would say my shoulders have gotten used to carrying 30 lbs in this backpack for very short, maybe a day or two duration, or during heavier one day water hauls, so Mags is right on by saying it largely depends on your comfort level/what you're willing to carry in terms of wt for a very short duration. The shoulder padding is pretty good but if hauling wt on the higher side I might think adding some sheep wool padding to the shoulder straps would increase comfort.

I usually carry a sub 22 lb kit with about 6 days food and often use this backpack yr round even on shorter winter hikes. I tweak my ULA CDT backpacks out to about 19.5 -21 ozs. Again, not shabby at all IMHO for a backpack with this light wt, volume, durability, feature options, and price. Even as an ULer I'm not of the opinion that gear choices always have to be based on the mentality that it's the lightest wt gear or nothing.

Chris at ULA, and previously Brian Frankel, have always impressed me with the level of ULA customer service and their attention to moving their products forward being open to innovation.

Woof Shaven
10-07-2014, 20:50
[QUOTE=Tramp;1913752]

I have your suggested link bookmarked and under study. Eric the poster at that link makes a great presentation

Woof Shaven
10-07-2014, 21:04
I'd rethink.....circuit is plenty of room......IMO...I'm light but not a gram weenie.....easy to get a tent/tarp at 2 lbs for 2 person and a good 20 deg down bag ie marmot helium lil over 2 lbs under $300...

I will keep your CDT suggestion under consideration. I know i'll be making a few gear choice mistakes but hopefully will get things sorted out after i start assembling but before i leave. Hey wait a minute, the CDT looks like it is for advanced trekkers. If i do a rethink at my skill level i'll probably look more towards a circuit but will keep my mind open.

saltysack
10-07-2014, 21:57
Many newbies get a big vol pack...feel the need to load up w unnecessary things....I almost did just that but after talking with the guys at ula....they steered me to the circuit, which is really larger than I need but keeping because I sometimes bring my son and dog....I carry lil more load then. I hike year round with the circuit and have plenty of room when stuffed with winter gear...very durable and almost dog proof...

shakey_snake
10-08-2014, 03:13
ULA Rocks??

Do they come in the backpacks?

Jack89
10-08-2014, 09:29
Agreed! ULA has great customer service. Chris worked with me on my fit and we did the picture thing as well. We did a no fuss exchange to get it just right. I really like my Circuit.

Tramp
10-08-2014, 14:50
You need to talk to ULA. Maybe you could be the Australian distributor for them.

Rolex
10-08-2014, 15:12
I have the Catalyst also this year and it has been great! It won't stand up on it's own but I just use my stick ran through the carrying handle as a kickstand. After seeing a buddy's gregory chewed on one night, I want mine inside the tent now instead of the vestibules or out side.

Per recommendations here I got the Neoair Xlite. I was worried about the whole air mattress thing but it has been great. I carry it inside the Catalyst.We're talking a liter water bottle size.

Stoves can nearly start fist fights but a pop/beer can stove is easy to make and work really well with an aluminum foil windscreen and a circle of hardware cloth as a pot holder while you are deciding. (I use a Trangia and Clikstand now but more from sentiment than anything else.) Your whole kitchen should fit inside the pot sans fuel.
A Titanium pot(Evernew?) at .9 liters and the titanium 600ml mug from Snow peak seems to be the norm from people I've met and they've done me great for years. You change change the stove under them. A long handled titanium spoon is a luxury for eating out of heat-n-eat bags but a Lexan spoon cut off a little rides in my pot for them times when you want to share.

I bought new sleeping bags and a tent and after carrying them for a while wished I had save up and took the advice on here and bought good light stuff first. I really think a bag and tent should be under 3 lbs each with today's offerings. (I just sent my payment for some used stuff and waiting!)

The scale is fun to play with. Nuff said.

bmanice
10-29-2014, 18:57
I love ULA - just got me a new Catalyst in multicam. In love.

Tramp
10-29-2014, 19:13
I love ULA - just got me a new Catalyst in multicam. In love.
I hear you ! now your a member of the ULA fan club ! welcome. Congrads on the pack. Hike safe.

saltysack
10-29-2014, 19:24
Seems like pack manufactures would offer a bright color ie blaze orange for hikers packs? I want to be seen while in the woods.....most of the time....

Tramp
10-29-2014, 19:46
maybe a blaze orange rain cover or something, i get it. i also think that after a few 100 miles a orange pack would start to look kinda,,,,well,,nasty. but i do understand where your comming from.

dangerdave
10-29-2014, 20:02
When I first came on here, all I heard about was ULA this and ULA that. "We all got ULA's! Yipee!"

Well, I did not get a ULA, for that very reason. I'm just not a crowd runner. I really like my Granite Gear Blaze 60. Just the right size for all my stuff and shaped perfectly to fit my body type.

Take that, ULA!

July
10-29-2014, 20:10
Have owned several packs over the years and have to say my Ohm2.0 is comfortable as all get out. Service good too.

lal2wx
11-09-2014, 11:43
I wasn't enthralled by the multitude of ULA packs already in use either, or the bizarre green color that I personally find far from attractive. After the world's easiest Rit dye job (I was initially more nervous than you can imagine, but it's honestly so easy and turns out great!), my latest ULA pack is hands down the best pack I've ever had.

Unfortunately, I don't have many trail miles on my ULA Circuit (yet!), but it's been able to withstand the beating of airline employees a couple times and a couple South American bus trips where luggage is far from treated gently.

I can't say how their customer service is, as the pack literally fits me perfectly and I've never had a single issue with it.

saltysack
11-09-2014, 14:08
I wasn't enthralled by the multitude of ULA packs already in use either, or the bizarre green color that I personally find far from attractive. After the world's easiest Rit dye job (I was initially more nervous than you can imagine, but it's honestly so easy and turns out great!), my latest ULA pack is hands down the best pack I've ever had.

Unfortunately, I don't have many trail miles on my ULA Circuit (yet!), but it's been able to withstand the beating of airline employees a couple times and a couple South American bus trips where luggage is far from treated gently.

I can't say how their customer service is, as the pack literally fits me perfectly and I've never had a single issue with it.

How did u dye it? Any pics?

colorado_rob
11-09-2014, 16:18
You guys realize that ULA packs come in a cool purple color as well, right (as well as a camo and a cuben-white)? I think this is relatively new though... I bought my wife a purple OHM 2.0 for xmas last year.

Miner
11-09-2014, 16:26
I've bought 3 ULA packs over the past 7.5 years . Not because they didn't hold up, but because I was looking for a smaller lighter pack each time. I bought them in part because they were green. I hate seeing bright colors in the wilderness and my gear and clothing are all colors that tend to blend in.

saltysack
11-09-2014, 17:08
I've bought 3 ULA packs over the past 7.5 years . Not because they didn't hold up, but because I was looking for a smaller lighter pack each time. I bought them in part because they were green. I hate seeing bright colors in the wilderness and my gear and clothing are all colors that tend to blend in.

Agree except for hunting season!

greentick
11-09-2014, 17:32
I've had my circuit since 2007, some wear and tear but fully serviceable. And I dig the green.

lal2wx
11-10-2014, 06:11
How did u dye it? Any pics?

I used RIT dye I bought from JoAnn's. I didn't want to stain my friend's washer and have his next load of laundry come out dyed so I used an old trash can I rinsed out as a tub. I found every pot in his kitchen and started boiling as much water as possible, dumped it all in the trash can and mixed the dye in with a stick. Next I put the pack in (remove as much stuff like the hip belt as possible) and tossed a brick on top to hold it down and a glass platter on top to help retain heat. After half the recommended time, I added more boiling water to make sure the water was staying hot. I hear if you use a cooler as the tub it stays hot on its own. After it was done soaking, pulled it out and rinsed it well with a hose and washed it without any detergent a couple times to make sure all the excess dye was off.

I did black as I like the simple, clean appearance of solid black gear. I'd imagine only colors of RIT dye darker than the green work. If you're okay with a dark color but want to try a lighter color first, wouldn't you be able to try that first and if you didn't like it just re-dye it a dark color like navy or black?

I'm in Nepal and don't have the pack on me right now (Wish I did!), but the link below has a great before and after picture. There is one difference, the model name on my bag remained yellow along with the yellow elastic bits and the white grid stays white. I think it looks really sharp with the pops of color.

http://walkingtocanada.blogspot.com/2014/02/dye-it-yourself-my-circuit-gets-makeover.html

There are lots of forum's about the process on backpackinglight.com, which is where I grabbed this picture that shows the model remaining yellow. The person in this picture removed the yellow cord, it will remain yellow as well.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/webkit-fake-url://E7CB98DF-7A77-4B78-AD07-E8A98325C2BF/1376357991_86896.jpg