PDA

View Full Version : Transportation home from Baxter State Park

Ray C
09-26-2014, 12:18
I am planning a thru hike starting mid March 2015 I have a friend that may come and hike the last section with me, but I got to have a backup plan. My question is, is there any transportation close to Baxter State Park ie: Bus, Train or airport close by or a shuttle service to get me to a station or airport.
I have looked but can not find any info on this.

Please help.
Thanks Ray

Starchild
09-26-2014, 13:11
First: Don't worry about it, It's a long way off and you have much to learn from the trail. By VA you should be totally comfortable and confident that this will not be a problem at all.

Second yes Easy hitch from Baxter to Millinocket, then a hitch or shuttle to some town (forgot the name) about a hour away with bus service, from there you can get anywhere in the world by land, sea or air.

But you may just be picked up by another thru hiker's family or friends and taken home.

10-K
09-26-2014, 13:26
Easy hitch out of Baxter to Millinocket. Then head over to the AT Lodge and just ask for the best way to get back to civilization.... They'll hook you up.

It's nothing to worry about...if you can walk from Georgia to Maine you can certainly figure out how to get home! :)

steve0423
09-26-2014, 14:15
hitch to Millinocket, (by that time you may have a buddy that has a ride squared away and you can jump in), shuttle from Milli to the bus station offered by the AT lodge, bus to Bangor or Portland, taxi from bus station to airport. Quite literally the last thing you should be concerned about on a thru. By that time you will be use to winging it.

DavidNH
09-26-2014, 15:52
gee wiz.. you haven't even left yet and you're already worried about how to get home!! First thing to worry about is getting to katahdin. No one has ever had troubles getting home.

But the short answer is.. climb up katahdin and then back down.
Hitch a ride to Millinocket (that's the first town out of the park and everyone who leaves the park is going there.
In Millinocket you could (I would say should) stay at the AT Lodge.. which is run by hikers who use to run the hikerhostel in Georgia. The also run the AT cafe in town. That's a place that no one ever leaves hungry! Next morning.. get shuttle or cab to the town of Medway where you can catch one bus per day (think it leaves in early AM) down to Portland, ME. From Portland get to Airport and take plane to Boston (or continue on another bus to Boston). In Boston, change planes to get to your home base in Alabama!

10-K
09-26-2014, 15:59
Has anyone recommended the AT Lodge yet??? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ray C
09-26-2014, 18:05
Thanks for all the info, I thought there would be a simple fix.
No rush here as I am retiring and plan to take my time and enjoy the hike.
Been on a schedule for the last 35 years and looking forward to the life on the trail.

CrumbSnatcher
09-26-2014, 22:29
hitch & hike your way back home :-)
last time, it took me 3 days from Katahdin to Erwin TN. staying in trail towns along the way

couscous
09-26-2014, 23:51
AT Lodge also provides shuttle service to/from Baxter.
http://appalachiantraillodge.com

flemdawg1
09-29-2014, 11:34
Sorry to burst a bubble, hitching out of Baxter isn't always easy. Being a slow section hiker, it took me 8 hours to climb up and down Katahdin and all the Thru Hikers I'd met the week prior were gone by the time I got down to KSC (even starting before all of them at 6am). I had several folks offer to take me to the gate, saying they weren't going to town. I said "no thanks" to 2 before I'd walked about 3 miles (after hiking the 10 brutal one up and down Big K), then took whatever I could get to the gate. Then it was about 6 cars leaving the park before a couple of summer workers were leaving and gave me a lift.

flemdawg1
09-29-2014, 12:06
Despite my difficulty getting a ride, I'd advise you to not worry about it until you get there (if you get there, odds are against it).