PDA

View Full Version : Grade My 2015 CT Thru Hike Gear List

Chaps
09-26-2014, 14:04
Attached is my gear list for next summer. I would appreciate it immensely if you all would look over it and make comments how to improve it. I have done plenty of hiking and camping before (as you might expect of a Coloradoan) but never a thru hike. Very excited about it even though it is nine months away.

I am taking a two-person tent because my wife is now officially on board. :) There will probably be a third person joining who will bring all his own stuff.

Base weight is under 18# before water and food is added. That seems pretty good to me. Don't know how much more I want to lighten up since comfort will be a factor with my wife (who is less pain/suffering tolerant) going along.

Let 'er rip!

Coffee
09-26-2014, 14:13
A few comments:

Rainwear. You actually have exactly the same rain gear that I took this year. I was not that thrilled with the performance of the Outdoor Research Helium II jacket in sustained rain. While I expected that the jacket would wet out while I was hiking and exerting myself (due to sweat), the jacket also appeared to wet out after under an hour in sustained rain when I was not exerting myself (such as walking downhill or waiting out the rain under a tree). For this reason, I do not feel that confident in the jacket and ended up not wanting to wear my down layer under it even in camp if it was raining. I did treat the jacket with McNetts prior to the trip so I really am not sure what is wrong. However, I cannot recommend any other jackets since I lack experience with other rain gear. I will say that I used this jacket a lot on the trip, and feel like it performed great as a wind shirt or in light drizzle. The Dri Duck pants were pretty good overall but got ripped to shreds by the end of the hike and I threw them away in Durango. The pants can be patched with duct tape so that's an option. The issue for me was that some parts of the trail have brush next to the trail and the pants can't stand up to brush or any abrasion at all without getting damaged. Still you can't beat the price and you could consider this a disposable piece of gear.

Cooking. I don't see a reason to take a 220g fuel canister. I had a 110g canister and you can buy a new one in Breckenridge, Leadville, Salida, Lake City, and Silverton, based on my personal experience - and other trail towns based on other people's reports.

CT Data Book. Very good except it doesn't cover the new Collegiate West. Just be aware of that if you opt for the CW and plan on taking another map like the map book or Latitude 40 map.

I'm sure you'll get more comments. These are just the items that jumped out at me from a quick look. Have a great trip!

Chaps
09-26-2014, 14:27
Forgot to update rain jacket to Marmot Mica. Even with two of us, you think a 110g canister is enough? Do you know about how many minutes on average a 110g will burn at altitude before it's empty? We plan on hot dinner each night and coffee (and occasional oatmeal) in the mornings.

CarlZ993
09-26-2014, 14:30
If you can afford it, I'd opt for the NeoAir X-lite. Lighter & a higher R-value. My X-lite worked great for me on my 2013 AT thru-hike. Been using it a lot since then as well.

But, whatever you do... keep Momma happy. When Momma's not happy, the whole world isn't happy. :)

Coffee
09-26-2014, 14:31
My cooking setup is a Jetboil and I typically boil anywhere from 32-40 ounces of water per day for oatmeal, coffee, and dinner. The Jetboil has proven good for boiling more than 10 liters of water so the 110g is good for 8-9 days for me. Since your stove may be less fuel efficient than the Jetboil and since you have two people, maybe the 220g is the way to go, but you will probably encounter at least some short segments where you could get away with the 110g (such as Breckenridge to TN Pass/Leadville for example).

Chaps
09-26-2014, 14:40
I'd opt for the NeoAir X-lite.

Yes, 5 oz lighter but only half as durable. It just takes one leak that you can't find to ruin the trip (I had Big Agnes Double Z that had an elusive leak so I am gun-shy on UL pads now).

LeadZeppelin
09-26-2014, 15:11
I would personally get rid of the convertible pants that you're packing, or wear them from the start and don't bring the hiking shorts. That's almost a pound of weight that you'll be carrying all the time for no reason. I would also consider leaving behind the camp sandals. A thru-hike is much more about hiking than it is about camping. Make yourself happy when you're hiking (ie less pack weight) and you'll have a great thru-hike.

My rule of thumb for whether or not I should bring something was basically, "will I use this every day?"

bearcreek
09-26-2014, 15:33
If you haven't bought any of this stuff yet, you could save a considerable amount of weight with a different choice of pack, shelter, and sleeping bag. (It would be expensive to do so.) I agree with the previous post that you should ditch the pants. One set of clothes and extra socks are really all you need.

The CW maps are in the Guthook app and that works great on an Iphone. The Iphone has a very good GPS in it, BTW.

Here is my present setup which you might find interesting. It is a bit lighter and not lacking any for comfort. I don't deal with food and water on it at all.

http://www.bearcreeksurvey.com/Data/Jerry_Brown's_Gear_List_and_weight_calculator.xls (http://www.bearcreeksurvey.com/Data/Jerry_Brown's_Gear_List_and_weight_calculator.xls)

Chaps
09-26-2014, 16:42
you could save a considerable amount of weight with a different choice of pack, shelter, and sleeping bag

Already have these, so I'm committed in that department.

Chaps
09-26-2014, 16:46
Nice list, Bearcreek. Looks like you are single-handedly keeping Z-Packs in business, lol.

Coffee
09-26-2014, 16:56
I liked having convertible pants. I also had very light running shorts with an integrated liner. My plan was to use those shorts around camp but I hardly ever did. They did come in useful when in town as a clean bottom layer (along with my sleep top) that I would use when doing laundry. At around 5 ounces, it wasn't a big deal but I probably would eliminate it if I do the CT again.

homebrew
09-26-2014, 17:13
Bring a el cheapo Track Phone and leave the $300 iphone and ear buds at home.

bearcreek
09-26-2014, 17:47
Already have these, so I'm committed in that department.

The high end Cuben fibre stuff is starting to go mainstream - should be considerably less expensive in the near future. The first thing I got from Zpacks was my pack. They put some custom features on it to hold my GPS gear in the correct alignment. I was so impressed that I have been getting more of their gear, little by little, over the past few years. It's good stuff. The really nice thing about Cuben Fiber is that it is waterproof, so your tent doesn't stretch and sag or double in weight when it gets wet like a silnylon one does.

MuddyWaters
09-26-2014, 23:48
What are the convictions and experience of the others?

More is not always merrier if they don't know what walking 20 mpd for several days straight is like.

I would hazard a guess that if your wife quits, there's a good chance you will too.

Cannot get your list to open on android, but if you have cuben stuff, you prob have several easy lbs to ditch. 18 is heavy in my book.

Deacon
09-27-2014, 06:09
Nice list, Bearcreek. Looks like you are single-handedly keeping Z-Packs in business, lol.

Naw, I'm helping 'em too.

Chaps
09-27-2014, 13:00
OK, thanks everyone. Here's my compromise so far:
*Replace Tevas with DIY foam sandals: -5 oz
*Wear convertible pant tops (9 oz), pack the bottoms (4 oz), pack light running shorts (want something other than rain pants to do laundry in) (5.6 oz): -3.4 oz
*Replace NeoAir Trekker with XLite: -5 oz

Updated base weight: 277.75 oz

Change I can live with!

Coffee
09-27-2014, 14:58
One thing to keep in mind if you are taking the shorts only for laundry is that many hostels have loaner clothes you can wear. This was the case at Fireside Inn, Leadville Hostel and Salida Simple lodge. I did use the shorts in Lake City and Silverton while doing laundry (which was offsite from the hostel). If I had known this prior to the hike, I would have sent the short to Lake City in my bounce box, saving the weight up to that point.

bearcreek
09-27-2014, 16:18
You can wear your rain gear do laundry.

LeadZeppelin
09-27-2014, 16:56
Yeah, I had loaner clothes every time except in Silverton, where I had to wear my rain pants. Is it really worth carrying shorts 500 miles to avoid having to wear rain pants to do laundry for an hour?

lonehiker
09-27-2014, 17:21
What are the convictions and experience of the others?

More is not always merrier if they don't know what walking 20 mpd for several days straight is like.

I would hazard a guess that if your wife quits, there's a good chance you will too.

Cannot get your list to open on android, but if you have cuben stuff, you prob have several easy lbs to ditch. 18 is heavy in my book.

You don't need to do consecutive 20 mpd to have a successful CT thru-hike. Averaging 17 mpd gets you done in less than a month (not counting zero days) and, obviously, depending upon your time constraints, you can do much slower. Additionally, 18 lb base weight isn't too bad. Many have completed with much heavier packs. Forgetting about the other person that may join you; you and your wife should discuss beforehand what your (or her) options are should one of you decide to bail. I didn't look at your list as I don't think gear is all that important in a thru-hike. A thru-hike is simply a series of backpacking trips which you have indicated that you have experience with. The only thing new to you will be re-supply and that is as simple as getting into a town and purchasing what you need or getting to PO for your box. Any of the resources will work as well as far as planning your trip (the exception being all of them don't address the western route yet).

It will be more your attitude rather than gear that will make for a successful trip.

Chaps
09-27-2014, 18:05
attitude rather than gear will make for a successful trip.

Totally agree.

Turtle Walking
09-28-2014, 17:26
My husband and I use a pocket rocket. We find we can do at least 5 dinners and 2 oatmeal with hot chocolate breakfasts with the small canister. All our dinners are fast cook. Boil water, add stuff, remove from heat, let sit. (instant potatoes, minute rice, stuffing mix with small cans or pouches of meat) Just experiment and you will learn what works for you and your wife.Thru hikers get caught up with light weight so they can do big miles. There is nothing wrong with averaging 12 mile per day if you are able to take the time. There is also no problem with doing the CT in sections over time. It is a wonderful trail to savor.

colorado_rob
09-28-2014, 19:16
I think you have a darn good kit, basically what I'd recommend bringing for a CT thru in terms of items, with one exception, already mentioned: No need for two pairs of pants, just the zip-off or short would work great alone. I carry zip-offs; those legs are nice at high camps in the evenings.

Also as has been said, you could save a few pounds with lighter weight versions of things, notably your pack, sleeping pad and sleeping bag, but overall, you're well equipped.

You're from Denver, so it would be nice if you haven't already done so to test out your system a few times in Colorado before your thru; I suggest a loop in the Lost Creek wilderness, there are a few, close to home, great in the fall (now!) or spring before your thru.

Finally, you probably are set with family or friends, but if you need a ride to the Waterton t/h next summer (assuming you're going SWBO), I'd be glad to do it; I did a half dozen this summer for folks.

hikeandbike5
09-28-2014, 23:45
Lake city hostel (raven's rest) has loaner clothes as well

CarlZ993
09-29-2014, 11:07
Yes, 5 oz lighter but only half as durable. It just takes one leak that you can't find to ruin the trip (I had Big Agnes Double Z that had an elusive leak so I am gun-shy on UL pads now).
I have a concern about a leak as well. I put about 7 nights on my X-lite before my AT hike, the entire AT hike, & and bunch of nights afterward. Fortunately, it hasn't leaked yet. I've always been careful w/ it. When using it in a shelter (only done on the AT), I always used a ground sheet beneath it.

A close-cell foam pad (which I used for many years) is basically indestructible. Not as comfy as inflatables or self-inflating pads. The Z-lite & Ridgerest pads are both lighter than your chosen pad but heavier than the X-lite. As noted, inflatable & self-inflating pads can leak. Every choice has trade-offs. 5 oz savings on a sleeping pad is significant IMHO.

Chaps
10-19-2014, 11:02
Thanks for the help, everyone. I did decide to replace my sleeping bag with a mont-bell and go with the neo-air xlite. That a few other small modifications have reduced pack weight by about a 1.5#. Not too shabby.

Tripper.
11-06-2014, 15:12
I would also bring a decongestant like sudafed. I needed it on the CT this past summer.

I recommend Gold Bond Friction Defense rather than the powder. It's good to put on the feet before bed and then can be used while hiking on both the feet and any chafing areas.

Chaps
11-09-2014, 12:38
OK, down to about 15# if I don't take the removable brain on my pack and when I'm carrying the one-person TarpTent, which I'll take most of the way since the wife will only be joining me for a week and a half at most. Thank again, everyone!

Sprout78
12-10-2014, 05:39
Hello! I hiked about 300 miles on the CT a couple years ago during June and July. I hear your wife is going, so I thought I might share what I found to be useful as a woman.

No need to be super stylish-almost all of the people on the trail are bikers, and they are going by very quickly.
Clothing:
Pants-1 pair of Nike Legend (no chafing)
Baselayer-Smart Wool NTS (keeps stink to a minimum) I used these for sleeping in and hiking when it got really cold.
Shirt-anything synthetic that keeps the sun off-You are closer to the sun and above tree line.
Rain gear-Red Ledge and/or Sierra Designs set (helps for those afternoon thunderstorms) Pants and Jacket are key.
Sports Bra-anything quick drying
I don't use extra underwear, because it causes chafing and takes up space.
Jacket(s)-I get cold at night, so I have a Title Nine hooded down vest that was great for wearing under an extra down jacket at night and for that first hour or so in the morning when it's still chilly. I don't think they make that type anymore, but I used two down layers at night. I also had a Patagonia Down Sweater-full zip.
Gloves-Mountain Hardware fleece liners
Buff for my head to keep the sun from burning my head, or for my neck when I got cold.
Smart Wool socks-three pairs. Two for changing out whenever my feet got sweaty and one pair for the tent. That pair can be bulkier if feet become cold easily.
Shoes-Vasque Women's Breeze if you prefer hiking boots, Salomon Trail Runners if you prefer something lighter. I like to bring Chacos, too, because I have foot problems and like to have an extra shoe I can walk in. I know that's heavy, but that's my own preference.

Poles-highly recommended.

Tent-I have a Fly Creek UL2. Here's the deal, rainstorms in the Rockies are no joke. You have to have something that will withstand a storm at altitude. I preferred to get up early and hike until 3pm. Set up my tent and wait out the rainstorm that came every day (it seems) at 3:30. It usually ended between 5 and 6pm. Blue sky...if I felt like getting in more miles, I would actually hike until dusk. Also, if I was approaching a ridge and knew it was getting on 3pm, I would stop there for the night by the tree line and summit in the morning.

Backpack-I like Ospreys, because they have water filtration sleeves and built-in pack covers.

Water-I like insulated Camelbacks, and when you're at altitude, anything that will keep that hydration chugging is a must. Altitude headaches are bogus. I recommend 100 fl. oz., as well as two 32 oz. water bottles. There are large sections with no water on the CT, and good camping spots don't usually have water near them. I used wide mouthed Nalgenes and Katadyn Hiker Pro. Stuff freezes up there at night, so if you're using any where the water isn't easily removed, make sure it becomes your cuddle bug at night. I like boiling water and putting a Nalgene at my feet. Also, Nalgenes are tough, and you cannot have water bottles fail up there. There's not enough water for that. I know this is all heavy. I just got a Sawyer, so I'll be curious to see how it does for you.

Sleeping Bag-I use a Never Summer 0 degree, but I sleep cold. I use a women's Therma-rest NeoAir. I stuff the sleeping bag into a Sea to Summit bag to make sure it doesn't get wet.

Stove-JetBoil Sol. I drink Starbucks VIAs in the morning, because I'm addicted, so I like the little cup. Water takes forever to boil when you're that high, and I am impatient. I don't use it for anything but boiling water, though...and pouring it into Mountain House meals. Those also take longer up there, also. I like a long spoon. I sleep with the fuel canister. Jet Boils are so easy, my fingers aren't freezing after fiddling with it in the morning.

Food-Not many resupplies. Carry light food that's high in calories. Town food is very expensive...lots of tax in CO, especially those mountain towns!

Food bag-Sea to Summit-brightly colored with reflective rope, so I can find it. If there weren't any trees around or the branches were too high for me, I would find a branch to hang it on away from rodents far, far away from my camping spot. Never had a problem with bears.

Miscellaneous-
Mini bics are good.
Whistles are pointless...nobody's really up there, and even if they hear you, you could be miles away, depending on the echo. If you are in deep, wait for a biker to come by on the trail in the safety and warmth of the tent. I have a NOAA beacon for major issues when I'm alone, like a compound fracture, etc.
Sunglasses-Again sunny, very sunny.
Multi tool is good, but don't go overboard.
TP is needed-trowel too.
I like baby wipes, because I'm a woman. I sleep with those, too.
Mole skin, second skin, ace bandage, and athletic tape are good.
Light painkillers are good.
I use REI Jungle Juice for bugs, but it's not needed all that often, because it's cold. Down by the streams, you might experience some mosquitoes, but I usually just get out of there very quickly.
Gold bond, etc. is not needed because it's cold. Won't chafe.
Headlamp is good-no extra batteries needed.
Chapstick with SPF-much needed.
SPF 40 for face-needed every day.
Hand sanitzer.
Bandana for a runny nose.

CT Guide-the data book sucks. I carried the full guide and took the pages out when I was staying in town as I went to save weight. I cut out the front section before I went. I didn't need a compass, because you can almost always see the sun in CO. What I really needed was the step by step directions in the full weight guide. Worth the extra weight, and fun to read at night about the 10th Mountain Division and what not.

Last but not least, I had to buy a battery pack to charge my Smartphone, which I used as a camera, a watch, an alarm, and for light communication. I came off the trail every five to seven days, and the charge didn't last for more than two or three up there. I also had a small I-pod. I kept all of this in a separate zip lock with a wall plug for when I was in civilization.

It's gorgeous up there! I hope you both have a wonderful time!

Chaps
12-11-2014, 02:24
Epic advice, Sprout78. Thanks!

Connie
12-11-2014, 12:52
I like a no-sag tarp, or, tent I remedy to an extent with those elastic tie-outs line tensioners. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vf_AeVejzmA

practice: a taut pitch of tarp or tent is important above tree-line.

I use slip-on mesh water shoes in camp. I like to "rest" my hiking shoes. I need water shoes.

LuckyMan
12-13-2014, 13:22
NeoAir XLite torso length (8 ounces) worked fine for me on CT this year, and I used a small fuel canister, never needed a large one, but cooked only at night. If you need gear along the trail, the outdoor shops in the trail towns were surprisingly poorly equipped - the store in Salida, one of the larger trail towns, didn't even stock any knives, and no one in Breckenridge or any of the other towns where I stopped had Aquamira drops. No one stocked or even had even heard of Opsak, which I tried to buy because it's hard to find good food-bagging trees along the CT. The clerks at the gear stores I visited were all very nice, but none of them seemed to be backpackers, which surprised me because after all this was Colorado. At least they all had fuel canisters.