PDA

View Full Version : 100 Mile Section Hike / advice needed

Footprint
09-26-2014, 14:50
Hello WB:

I am a newbie as a newbie gets with regard to the AT. I hike all the time in SW Ohio. MY specific question is if I wanted to do 100 mile section hike what would be an easier section traveling south to north and which is closest to Cincinnati, Ohio.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Once I can get that basic info, I can start planning my trip next (late) spring and get shuttles etc. in the works.

Thank to all,

Footprint

bigcranky
09-26-2014, 15:17
When do you want to go? That's something of an important question :) Also, how long do you want this to take?

From Cincinnati you can get to anywhere along the Southern AT in about the same amount of time. The traditional answer would be to hike from Springer northbound for 100 miles (approximately to Franklin, TN,) which is a great hike, especially in spring. You could hike the ~80 miles from Damascus to Atkins in Virginia, also nice in both spring and fall. There are plenty of good 10 day sections out there.

Footprint
09-26-2014, 15:30
Hello Big Cranky. I am looking at right around mid May 2015. I have 14 days slotted (drive time / hike time / drive back.) Its about 8 miles a day. My thought is that the 8 miles a day would give me time to "stop and smell the roses" and take my time to enjoy every bit of my hike. Thank you for the starting points for me to work from.

saltysack
09-26-2014, 15:42
When do you want to go? That's something of an important question :) Also, how long do you want this to take?

From Cincinnati you can get to anywhere along the Southern AT in about the same amount of time. The traditional answer would be to hike from Springer northbound for 100 miles (approximately to Franklin, TN,) which is a great hike, especially in spring. You could hike the ~80 miles from Damascus to Atkins in Virginia, also nice in both spring and fall. There are plenty of good 10 day sections out there.

Franklin, NC ....100 mile mark I believe is Albert mtn fire tower?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

illabelle
09-26-2014, 15:44
Sounds like you should consider a trek through Shenandoah. 100 miles, gentle grade, nice scenery.

Footprint
09-26-2014, 15:59
Thanks illabelle. I have never been through Shenandoah. Would you mind giving me a starting and stopping point (heading north) to do 80 to 100 miles.

I hate to sound like I am being lazy and not doing my own research. I have bought books about the AT but they have not been much help in planning. Thanks!!

bigcranky
09-26-2014, 17:50
Shenandoah is a national park. The AT runs the length of it, starting at Rockfish Gap in the south (at I-64 near Waynesboro) and ending at Front Royal in the north. About 105 miles. Great section.

Springer to Franklin is maybe 115 miles, start at Springer Mtn and end at US 64 at Winding Stair Gap. Drive down on day one and spend the night at the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega, GA, and they will shuttle you to Springer and pick you up wherever you finish.

8 miles a day is a reasonable start, though you'll likely hike longer miles later in the hike. May is a great time to be on the trail in the South.

Coffee
09-26-2014, 17:53
Sounds like you should consider a trek through Shenandoah. 100 miles, gentle grade, nice scenery.
+1 SNP seems to fit the bill.

Footprint
09-26-2014, 19:09
Thanks to everyone for the assistance. All of the answers I have received from you folks has been more knowledge than a AT book I bought and have read. I am off to a good start thanks to you all.

DavidNH
09-26-2014, 20:05
I second SNP. Beautiful, relatively easy.. and I dont think it's all that far from Ohio. But then... I've never been to Ohio.

illabelle
09-26-2014, 22:40
Footprint, Shenandoah is in north central Virginia, and as mentioned by others, extends from Waynesboro to Front Royal, a little more than 100 miles. The AT through SNP follows the ridgeline of the Blue Ridge Mountains and roughly parallels Skyline Drive, a two-lane road that goes the whole length of the park. Because the road is literally a few hundred yards away most of the time, Shenandoah is a low-risk place to hike. If you encounter difficulties, it's very easy to get off the trail and back to civilization.
So long as you stay on the AT, it's a gentle grade. Side trails in SNP, however, can be quite steep.
Also, I understand that there are a number of eateries with yummy food, though I've never tried them. :) I believe you can resupply at some of these establishments (not sure about that).
http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/where-to-eat.htm

Elkwallow Wayside (mile 24.1) The Wayside offers a variety of breakfast selections and sandwiches and grilled items for lunch and dinner, with seating outside on the patio or at picnic tables.
Skyland (mile 41.7 and 42.5)
Dining room with table service. Menu includes appetizers, salads, entrees and desserts.
Big Meadows Wayside (mile 51.2) The Wayside houses a full-service dining room with carryout service and offers a varied menu of regional favorites and contemporary food.
Big Meadows Lodge (follow signs from Skyline Drive at mile 51.2) Dining room in lovely rustic setting. Menu includes appetizers, salads, entrees, and desserts.
Loft Mountain Wayside (mile 79.5) The Wayside has a dining room with counter service, with seating inside and outside on picnic tables. The menu includes a variety of breakfast selections, sandwiches, and grilled items.

Footprint
09-26-2014, 22:50
Thank you illabelle! I have been reading, surfing, taking notes etc all day. SNP is on my short list. I can't thank you and others enough. This is a 44th b day present to myself next year. Something thats been on my mind for years. This site has been priceless in the info available. I can't thank everyone enough.