PDA

View Full Version : October Night Temps

al_stargazer
09-27-2014, 20:16
Hey Guys!! We are planning our third section hike at the end of October. We will be hiking from Unicoi Gap,GA to NC. Do we need to plan on comfortable temps during the day and temps in the 40's or so at night? Just want to make sure we pack accordingly. THANKS!!

Wormy
09-27-2014, 23:40
I was wondering the same. Any temp advice/speculation for north Georgia in late October would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HooKooDooKu
09-28-2014, 09:31
I looked at climate data for Birmingham, AL and Gatlinburg, TN, and the high mountains of GSMNP...

In the valleys, day time highs should be in the low to mid 70's night time lows should be in the low to mid 40's.
For high mountains (let's say around 4,000' in elevation) you can subtract about 10º from those number.

But you have to also realize that actual temperatures can easily vary as much as +/-15º from these norms.

So you potentially have to expect to encounter temperatures from below freezing (even in the lower 20's at high elevations) upto the mid 80's. To get any better answer, you'll have to wait until the week before your trip and check the forecast then.

saltysack
09-28-2014, 09:33
I would guess lows in 40s but a few years back did springer to Woody late oct and temps dropped to mid 30's....I always take my 15 deg bag after oct 1....regardless of forecast. While hiking don't need much to keep warm on the move but I'm a cold sleeper..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Cleaner
09-28-2014, 09:36
The weather in this area is subject to dramatic temperature changes depending on the movement of weather fronts. I'd post again a few days prior to your departure date and someone could give a more detailed update of local conditions. I once hiked over Unaka Mtn./ Beauty Spot above Erwin TN on 10-4 in almost a foot of snow.:eek:

daddytwosticks
09-28-2014, 16:42
The Cleaner is dead on. Just wait a few days before you go to get a better forecast. Cold fronts can make it quite chilly and tropical activity very wet. :)

Papa D
09-28-2014, 21:42
lovely time for hiking and camping.
I would expect to hike in shorts and a t-shirt or possibly a long sleeve shirt.
At night, change to sleeping clothes which should be regular weight long underwear, a long sleeve top.
a fleecy (stocking) cap and a light sweater or jacket. That should be just fine. I camped the last two
nights (on a climbing trip) in NC in a 20 degree down bag with the temps in the low 50s - might have dipped
into the high 40s - - I pretty much just used the bag as a blanket. A 20 deg bag should be fine through Oct. -
I'd say the evening range will be from 32 degrees (late October in higher elevations) to about 55 degrees. By
day, temps usually are between the high 60s to low 80s (at times) - naturally, there are variations and you should
have your rain jacket and a fleecy hat (always).