PDA

View Full Version : Woody's Gap to Neel's Gap (blood mountain)?

Outdoorsman412
09-28-2014, 14:53
First post! I was just wondering if any georgia locals on here have any insight to this section. Me and a buddy have been doing small sections starting at the approach trail and our last take out was at Woodys gap so this weekend we plan on starting there and going to either hwy129 at blood mountain or to go on to Tesnatee Gap which is overall 16 miles or so. Were both hammock campers so a shelter or site is not required but preferred. We plan on hiking saturday and reaching the takeout vehicle on Sunday afternoon. So far we have been able to accomplish 12 miles a day pretty easy and thats stopping to set camp at 5 or so. The blood mtn shelter is about halfway and i would prefer to try to make it to the listed camp area between Neels Gap And Tesnatee in order for a short hike out on Sunday. How bad is Blood Mountain Terrain? Is it feasible to go from Woodys Gap say at day light and reach that campsite just south of Tesnatee before 5:00-6:00 Pm? Just curious, thanks for any insight!

" A gun is like a woman son it's all how you hold her"
TOA #118

googlywoogly
09-28-2014, 17:23
I hike in this area a lot and to me the hardest part of the blood mountain area is walking down the hill to Neel Gap. I've done Woody Gap to Neel Gap as a day hike and it was a longish day and my legs felt like noodles when we finaly got to point B (parking lot of B. Reece Memorial Trail) that afternoon. Climbing up out of Neel Gap can be a challenge too. Especially if you walked all the way from Woody Gap before starting that climb.

You might be in better shape than my group, but I would hike past Neel Gap and find a place to hang north of there. Either that or stay at the great hostel there at Mountain Crossing for some local color.

The walk from Neel to Tesnatee is an realativly easy and short day if I remember correctly. I'm old and slow though. Your mileage may vary.

MuddyWaters
09-28-2014, 19:01
If you ask 3 different hikers you are likely to get 3 different answers. First, how heavy is your pack and what shape are you in?

I found blood mountain totally unremarkable as far as the climb goes. In fact, I don't remember much but thinking "is that it?" The downhill is long switchbacks, pretty rocky at first. The trail meanders around some rocky overlooks at the top, blazes on the rock. It might be easy to walk off at night if not familiar with it.

Outdoorsman412
09-28-2014, 19:14
If you ask 3 different hikers you are likely to get 3 different answers. First, how heavy is your pack and what shape are you in?

I found blood mountain totally unremarkable as far as the climb goes. In fact, I don't remember much but thinking "is that it?" The downhill is long switchbacks, pretty rocky at first. The trail meanders around some rocky overlooks at the top, blazes on the rock. It might be easy to walk off at night if not familiar with it.

I hike in this area a lot and to me the hardest part of the blood mountain area is walking down the hill to Neel Gap. I've done Woody Gap to Neel Gap as a day hike and it was a longish day and my legs felt like noodles when we finaly got to point B (parking lot of B. Reece Memorial Trail) that afternoon. Climbing up out of Neel Gap can be a challenge too. Especially if you walked all the way from Woody Gap before starting that climb.

You might be in better shape than my group, but I would hike past Neel Gap and find a place to hang north of there. Either that or stay at the great hostel there at Mountain Crossing for some local color.

The walk from Neel to Tesnatee is an realativly easy and short day if I remember correctly. I'm old and slow though. Your mileage may vary.

Well were both 25 but we could be in better shape. Ill admit the approach trail wasnt the easiest but it wasnt near as bad as what we were told. Were shooting to start AT daylight saturday AM and i think we have decided our goal is some sites right past Neels. 13-14 miles. It will be a stretch but if we cant, no harm done as we will just set up our hammocks/ tarps few hours before dark. Thanks for the input!

TOA #118

ChuckP
09-28-2014, 20:03
My wife and I have done Woody's Gap to Neel Gap as a day hike (we're in our mid 50's) with a car at each end. Certainly not the toughest 10 mile section we've done in Georgia but a good stroll. Nice views at Big Cedar Top and Blood Mtn. Blood Mtn. is far easier NOBO than SOBO. If you are planning to go all the way to Tesnatee Gap as an overnight, you will need to think about where to camp with good water access. I would recommend Wood's Hole shelter or the established campsite about halfway up Blood Mountain as a good halfway point. Not sure if the bear canister rules are still in place for this section.

MuddyWaters
09-28-2014, 20:05
The approach and blood mtn are 2 things feared by newbs in the spring. There really isn't much to either. Its all just standard southern AT, indistinguishable from any where else in ga, nc, tn. You will see. Now if you carry a 50 lb pack, you will have a different opinion than someone with a 30 lb pack.

Outdoorsman412
09-28-2014, 21:21
The approach and blood mtn are 2 things feared by newbs in the spring. There really isn't much to either. Its all just standard southern AT, indistinguishable from any where else in ga, nc, tn. You will see. Now if you carry a 50 lb pack, you will have a different opinion than someone with a 30 lb pack.

That about what i expected to hear im about 35lbs on the pack which im not a big lightweight freak as i like to be comfortable and have plenty of food. I realize its overkill for a one nighter BUT i pack the the same 1 night vs 3-4 within reason. Ive gotten used to it and have cut weight as i have went but again i enjoy the camping/ campfire aspect so im sure im well equipped.

TOA #118

AO2134
09-28-2014, 21:35
You should be able to do Woody to Hogpen Gap as a 2 day hike with absolute ease. 17.6 miles. I would say stay at hostel if you were doing longer sections. This section could be done as a day hike even.

I was averaging 17 mpd in this section with relative comfort.

Water after Neel Gap is scarce. Pack water out of neel gap to get you to Tesnatee Gap.

As for where to spend the night, Woods Hole Shelter (7.2 miles never been to this shelter); Blood Mountain Shelter (8.3 miles, never stayed); The hostel (10.7 miles, stayed the night); Bull Gap (11.8 miles, walked by it)..

Outdoorsman412
09-28-2014, 22:11
You should be able to do Woody to Hogpen Gap as a 2 day hike with absolute ease. 17.6 miles. I would say stay at hostel if you were doing longer sections. This section could be done as a day hike even.

I was averaging 17 mpd in this section with relative comfort.

Water after Neel Gap is scarce. Pack water out of neel gap to get you to Tesnatee Gap.

As for where to spend the night, Woods Hole Shelter (7.2 miles never been to this shelter); Blood Mountain Shelter (8.3 miles, never stayed); The hostel (10.7 miles, stayed the night); Bull Gap (11.8 miles, walked by it)..

Yea, map shows camp area near bull gap so thats our goal, that leaves us about 2.5 miles for a short trip Sunday Am to our truck at Tesnatee

TOA #118

Dogtra
09-29-2014, 12:57
I hike in this area a lot and to me the hardest part of the blood mountain area is walking down the hill to Neel Gap.

+1 The descent is the hardest part. Still an enjoyable hike.