PDA

View Full Version : Water between Wayah Bald and Fontana??

Hotel
09-28-2014, 19:00
Anyone know the water availability on this part of the trail?

Thanks
Hotal

MockingJay
09-29-2014, 08:09
Hiked from Rock Gap to NOC back in late July. There was plenty of water between Wayah and Wesser but there's not much between Wesser and Rufus Morgan Shelter. The map shows 5 miles of down hill over that stretch but don't underestimate it. By the time we got to the NOC we were all out of water and exhausted. There's a spring between Wesser fire tower and the shelter so make sure you're topped off before you leave Wesser Shelter. There was also a very good spring at Cold Spring Shelter between Wayah and Tellico. Planning to knock out from NOC to Fontana in a few weeks so I can report on the situation in that section soon.

AO2134
09-29-2014, 08:24
Planning to knock out from NOC to Fontana in a few weeks so I can report on the situation in that section soon.

Please do. I plan to do this hike in mid-october.

saltysack
09-29-2014, 09:40
Hiked from Rock Gap to NOC back in late July. There was plenty of water between Wayah and Wesser but there's not much between Wesser and Rufus Morgan Shelter. The map shows 5 miles of down hill over that stretch but don't underestimate it. By the time we got to the NOC we were all out of water and exhausted. There's a spring between Wesser fire tower and the shelter so make sure you're topped off before you leave Wesser Shelter. There was also a very good spring at Cold Spring Shelter between Wayah and Tellico. Planning to knock out from NOC to Fontana in a few weeks so I can report on the situation in that section soon.

I'm planning to hike from glassmine gap just south of rock gap to fontana late oct...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk