PDA

View Full Version : re: care for gortext lined leather boots

DavidNH
10-15-2005, 08:44
HI,

I am wondering about proper care for hiking boots..in my case, nubbuck leather with goretex lining. I recall hearing from somewhere that snowseal would reduce the breathability (I used to use snow seal when I had all leather boots in past). I have been using just the spray on nix wax which is supposed to waterproof the boots.

So far (have had the boots a year now) all seems well but I worry about the leather drying and cracking. Also, They get pretty roughed up from the white mountain rocks.

what do you suggest to keep the boots in best shape?

DavidNH

Peaks
10-15-2005, 15:37
As one who has gone through several pairs of leather boots, and many with Goretex lining, all that I ever did was try to waterproof them. Currently I'm using Nikwax because that's what the boot manufacturers recommend for a waterproofer. I have never done something special because of the goretex liner.

Pilgrim24
10-18-2005, 11:52
When I got my pair of Danner boots I called Danner and asked them what to use. They told me several product by name that would be best. Even more important they told me what not to use because it would damage the boots. I've always been glad I made that call before I applied anything.

Blue Jay
10-18-2005, 18:55
Snowseal will stop the breathability of anything including :datz skin. You might as well coat your feet with liquid rubber.