PDA

View Full Version : 2015 AT Guide

saralynne1982
09-29-2014, 08:29
Hello!
When does AWOL typically release the next years AT Guide? Getting way to excited for my 2015 Thru-hike! :)

SteelCut
09-29-2014, 08:51
I believe that it's January. But, if you go to his website, you can contact him directly and ask.

http://www.theatguide.com/

trippclark
09-29-2014, 11:33
January is correct

Trance
09-29-2014, 14:22
NO offense to AWOL..... but you do not need a guide book. It's extra weight, takes up space, and you'll rarely look at it.

On my 400mile section... I printed, in size 10 font, the mile list from summitpost. It says if there is a camp, shelter, food, water.... it was all of maybe 3 index cards cut in half..... put it in a ziplock bag, and in my side pocket.

Simple is better..... just look at the closet the hiker hostel has in GA of all the **** people "thought" they needed. One thing I remember seeing in it.... was an AWOL guide. I considered taking it... b/c I was like, "wow free $20 guide"..... then I realized I didnt want to carry that. I was glad I passed.

Dogtra
09-29-2014, 14:25
There are many things that people don't "need" but they take it anyways because they "want" it. HYOH.

10-K
09-29-2014, 14:29
You don't "need" a guide but man are they ever helpful. Just having maps of trail towns, services in trail towns, phone numbers, etc. makes it worthwhile to me.

And now you can get a PDF version for your phone - why not have a guide? It actually makes no sense *not* to have one.

Jeff
09-29-2014, 14:49
I see AWOL's guide used daily at our hostel....probably 90% of our guests carry AWOL's or The Companion.

Coffee
09-29-2014, 15:48
The AWOL guide is excellent value for the money. It was a very helpful resource on my section hike this year.

Nooga
09-29-2014, 15:56
Get the AWOL guide in individual pages and only carry the pages you need. Put the balance in a bounce box or have someone mail them to you as needed.

lonehiker
09-29-2014, 16:02
Those that don't carry a guide (or maps) are the ones that want to look at your guide (or maps) when they see you using it.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
09-29-2014, 16:11
Get the AWOL guide in individual pages and only carry the pages you need. Put the balance in a bounce box or have someone mail them to you as needed.

Planning to split mine up into 500 miles sections and have the next section mailed to me with care packages from home. Gonna be color-coded and filled with notes from those who have gone before me.

Coffee
09-29-2014, 16:15
I'm going to get the loose leaf version for 2015. I cut up my bound 2014 version and it held up well.

Jeff
09-29-2014, 17:51
Lots of hikers buy two copies....one for themselves and one for the folks back home doing all the support during the hike.

macdaddy
09-29-2014, 18:12
The guide is a great resource for planning your water stops. Will also tell you how far things are from the trail like huts, towns, springs, etc. Like others have said only carry the pages you need.

Old Hiker
09-29-2014, 21:47

The above.

Planning to split mine up into 500 miles sections and have the next section mailed to me with care packages from home. Gonna be color-coded and filled with notes from those who have gone before me.

The above again. I'm looking through my old 2012 - going to get a 2015 to re-plan AND 3 2016.

I'm going to get the loose leaf version for 2015. I cut up my bound 2014 version and it held up well.

Above again - did so in 2012.

Lots of hikers buy two copies....one for themselves and one for the folks back home doing all the support during the hike.

Above is why I'm getting 3 in 2016: one for me, one for the wife, one for my dad.

LOTS of things in a hiker box I thought were pretty cool; however, didn't "need" them. The Guide I would have grabbed if I hadn't already been carrying one. Great resource for me at the time and to continue to plan for the next attempt.

hikehunter
09-30-2014, 00:52
I have been building my files to down load to my phone. It will be camera, map, and data base. I can have the wife email me the section info at resupply points and file it in the phone.:-?

10-K
09-30-2014, 06:29
I've always used 2 guides as well.... It's a lot easier to call my wife and tell her the name of a place and what page it's on in the guide to ship me something than it is to try and give her all the info over the phone.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
09-30-2014, 07:52
I've always used 2 guides as well.... It's a lot easier to call my wife and tell her the name of a place and what page it's on in the guide to ship me something than it is to try and give her all the info over the phone.

Good idea, I think Old Hiker said something about it as well. Looks like I'll buying a couple of 'em.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
09-30-2014, 07:56
I have been building my files to down load to my phone. It will be camera, map, and data base. I can have the wife email me the section info at resupply points and file it in the phone.:-?

I have built notes about the trail state by state in my phone. Got so upset with myself when I lost my phone and realized I didn't have them all backed up. I like the idea about having them available for email. Ill have to do that.

Trance
09-30-2014, 08:44
http://www.summitpost.org/appalachian-trail-mileage-chart/593282

This tells you everything you need....

If I want to find out where the Wendy's is in Erwin, I guess I'll need AWOLS.... or Internet.

lonehiker
09-30-2014, 09:17
Or simply ask a local.

Don H
09-30-2014, 09:37
When I section hike I copy the pages needed.
When I thrued I carried part of the book. I had a second copy that I left at home for the family to use.
I mark the date and places I started and stopped each day.
The information on services is very helpful.

There is an electronic version you can buy.

Trance
09-30-2014, 09:38
Yeah, good point.

What ever happened to just talking to people? I feel like everytime I hike the AT, that meeting the locals is all part of the experience.

Keep your head up, say hello to everyone, be polite, and everyone on the trail and in town will treat you great. Atleast in my experience!

CarlZ993
09-30-2014, 14:37
This is what I did. Loose-leaf version for me on the trail (split up in quarter sections) & bound copy for my wife @ home. A lot of info for a little weight penalty. Worth it in my opinion.

While on the trail, I kept the pages I needed for the day in a qt Ziplock baggie. The baggie stayed in my front left pocket. Pulled it out when I needed it. The rest of the quarter-section of the guide was buried in another Ziplock baggie in my pack.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
09-30-2014, 17:33
http://www.summitpost.org/appalachian-trail-mileage-chart/593282

This tells you everything you need....

If I want to find out where the Wendy's is in Erwin, I guess I'll need AWOLS.... or Internet.

Thanks Trance, nice resource :)

10-K
09-30-2014, 17:40
Thanks Trance, nice resource :)

It's essentially the Thru Hiker's Companion online... lol...

-Trail features are those listed in the 2009 Appalachian Trail Thru-Hikers’ Compaion, links take you to pages and/or pics depicting them where available.

I will do my best to occasionally update this page but for any serious planning I would do what I did and actually go out and get yourself the latest version of the Thru-Hikers’ Companion. I always welcome corrections from those who most recently have traveled the trail so leave feedback if you have some!

JohnnySnook
09-30-2014, 18:41
I'll be carrying it in some sort of way. I'm not going to get crazy with notes and where I want stop. Maybe make a few notes about the things or places I find important to see or to get packages. I do know I'll be stopping at the hostel with a pond stocked with trout. Thats about it for now.

I find that I enjoy the experience more when I just go with the flow. I like to just roll into a new town and get suggestions from the shuttle driver or driver that stopped and picked me up. Asking someone walking down the street works just fine for me. In fact I'll probably take what a shuttle driver says with a grain of salt. I'm sure many work with certain places and recommend them to all hikers. As I'm walking there I'll ask a local what they think of them after being dropped off. Thats how I always seem to find the gems others don't.

I'm hoping I'll have enough expendable cash in the bank that I can avoid eating at McDonalds or fast food joints all the time. Although I'm sure the french fries at McDonalds may be more than I can walk or drive by.

lemon b
09-30-2014, 22:20
I have both the 1991 and 2014 versions. In 1978 do not recall even having one. One thing is for sure things change, sometimes real quickly. I like 10k's idea of using technology. but also resist by my nature. Can any of the other older folk on here suggest a GPS that old eyes can actually see? I remain a map & compass guy but am beginning to think my mind should open up so I can go from reading grids to reading minutes (Lat. and long). Is that process of change difficult?

lonehiker
09-30-2014, 23:53
With so many reference points along the AT (not to mention those things painted on every other tree), it is one trail that I wouldn't even think of using a GPS/phone for navigation.

norts
10-01-2014, 01:46
A guide tells you when you come too a road which way to turn to head to the closet shop/ice cream/hamburger and how far. I would have missed alot of these spots if it wasnt for the guide. No locals standing there when I crossed the road. yeah get into town and ask the locals, we did that all the time to find the best place for b/fast or dinner.
I used AWOLS guide and it was a great resource. I used the unbound copy and carried the days walking pages in a zip loc. The night before i would go through and highlight the important features for the next day ie shop half a mile of the trail, and also note how much water I may need to carry.
The guide also gives you alot of phone numbers so you can organise accommodation, a shuttle etc.
This year I would estimate that probably 80% of nobos I met were carrying AWOLS guide.
Taz

BuckeyeBill
10-01-2014, 23:50
Lkkkk

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

Trance
10-02-2014, 10:58
Common sense can answer a lot of the questions you need on the trail.

I never once wanted for water. Think ahead, carry a Nalagene canteen. Pretreat your water early.... stop waiting till you are out to look for water. I had 96oz water pretreated and ready the night before. I woke up at 6am.... broke out of the shelter before people were even stirring half the time. Carry EXTRA water. Fill up when you are down to 32oz.

Hiking is about being self reliant on the trail imo. Not worrying if you're going to make it to the next water source or die of dehydration.

Fredt4
10-02-2014, 16:23
Many times I'll come across hikers looking at their guide book and or maps discussing (arguing) about their location. I'll pull out my Android open the BackCountry Navigator app that I've previously downloaded the maps, waypoints and trail and turn on the GPS. Discussion and arguing is over. Only in a few places is a map really necessary, but I did manage to get lost a couple times (wasn't looking at the map in the app), but once I figured out I had gotten off the trail the GPS and app solved the problem. So, while I bought the AT Trail Guide back in or about 1975 I wouldn't suggest that that's the best solution today. Go with an smartphone and an App that works offline such as BackCountry Navigator and you'll have a better solution. Google Maps seemed best when in towns with connectivity. Besides, most hikers will have their phone with them either way, so might as well use it.

ryanwflynn
10-02-2014, 18:12
I hike with a Kindle and downloaded a copy of the AT companion to it. I had an app for my phone as well. On a few occasions I took pictures of the AWOL guide of upcoming sections from fellow hikers. Best of luck!

Frank_the_cat
10-02-2014, 18:39

Yup! I'm making notes in my "original" and copying them over for my husband.

I got the 2014 version, I figure it's good enough. It has been EXCELLENT. Walking through each mile and each stop has helped my husband and I plan boxes, meet-ups, and treats.