PDA

View Full Version : Hiking the Pinhoti from Turnipseed North

bad biscuit
09-29-2014, 16:06
A group of us hiked the South Loop - Pinhoti, Skyway, and Chinnabee trails earlier this year on an overnighter. We now want to continue our trek North as another overnighter.

Last time the total mileage was around 18 miles. After initial research, if we start back at Turnipseed - mile 72.0, then climb that big hill to get back on the Pinhoti the logical stop in the same mileage as last trip is mile marker 91.5 at CR 24 crossing.

That's a few more miles that last trip (21 vs 18) and we will be bring multiple vehicles. Is there anywhere to safely park a vehicle overnight at CR 24?

Is there a better (slightly shorter) place to park that is more convienent? Is it easier going South or North?

blisterbob
09-29-2014, 21:24
There is room to park at CR 24 TH, but I suggest parking at the church about a mile east on 24.
A lot of traffic goes by that TH and also some partying at Morgan Lake just around the curve.
There is no other access after you leave SR 281 at Cheaha SP
The overall route is descending going north so supposedly it would be easier.

ednotmilkman
09-30-2014, 01:39
If you can walk 5 miles farther, to mile 96.7, there is a house within 200 yards of the trail crossing @ US431. If you can catch someone at home, you could offer to pay them a little to park a car. I met the nice man a few years ago when I asked if I could leave a resupply bag of food. He told me to put it in his bar-b-q grill.