PDA

View Full Version : Grafton notch loop hike - report

Slo-go'en
09-29-2014, 19:19
If you were not out hiking this weekend in New England, you probably missed the best three days of fall. It's been really dry and now that the leaves have changed, their dropping fast.

I meet up with Rafe Friday night and Saturday we drove over to Grafton Notch. Initially, I had wanted to do the whole loop, 39 miles, in 3 days. Rafe wisely questioned our ability to do this. So instead, we settled for doing just the east side of the loop (21 rugged miles) which turned out to be a very good decision. Instead of pushing our self's to the limit, we took our time and enjoyed the views. Of which there were plenty and they were spectacular!

Puzzle mountain was a pleasant surprise. The walk along it was reminiscent of the Bemis ridge line with open ledges and expansive views. Between the Bald Pate summits, Lightning Ledge and Puzzle Mountain the views were just amazing. And one heck of a difficult trail connecting them. Not for the faint of heart, that's for sure!

All in all it was a great trip and I was glad to share it with Rafe. Turns out we have a similar hiking pace and temperament. Here's a view from one of the many vistas, too bad the photo does not do the view justice.

rafe
09-29-2014, 19:44
It was an awesome weekend to be in the Maine mountains. Weather couldn't have been more perfect.

Here are a few more pix.

johnnybgood
09-29-2014, 21:51
Nothing like the Autumn colors and crisp air of Maine . Great pics and I'm not at all envious....(um...liar liar).

rafe
09-30-2014, 10:15
A few more pix. Not necessarily in any order. It was a treat having the time to stop and savor the beauty spots.

28505 28506 28507 28508 28509

MamaBear
09-30-2014, 10:21
Gorgeous - the views from the Baldpates are spectacular any season, but I think you timed it perfectly! The colors weren't too bad from the Tripyramids in the Whites this weekend, either. ;) Plenty of folks out to enjoy them.