PDA

View Full Version : Tonight I'm drinking bourbon and taking trail notes...

Frank_the_cat
09-29-2014, 19:49
In the last couple days the reality of this thru-hike has really hit me. Right now, I'm making notes in my AT guide of things I want to see, places I want to stop, ideal refuel locations. Checking out the satellite view, marking down the food I'll need.

God, I am so pumped.

Wise Old Owl
09-29-2014, 20:09
American Bourbon? you are amongst friends

Frank_the_cat
09-29-2014, 20:56
If only the AT were a tour of distilleries... I would have done this much sooner. But it would take me much longer.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
09-29-2014, 21:09
If only the AT were a tour of distilleries... I would have done this much sooner. But it would take me much longer.

Hey when you get to the Waynesboro VA there is always route 151 - a whole road of breweries, wineries, a cidery and a distillery. Drop down from Reeds Gap work your way up 151 to Waynesboro then get a shuttle back to Reeds then walk your way into Waynesboro - or the other way around. Either way good food and good fun :)

sfdoc
09-29-2014, 21:53
And the problem with that is....?
What's your brand?

Frank_the_cat
09-29-2014, 22:11
Right now, it's Bulleit Rye. Which is not a bourbon, I admit, but it is damn fine. Earlier, it was Bulleit bourbon until I ran out.

jjozgrunt
09-30-2014, 05:30
I didn't make a note when I was reading the journals so does anyone know where there legal moonshine distillery is? Can't come all that way and not try the moonshine.

WolfCBP
09-30-2014, 05:59
How feasible is it to bring a flask on the AT for a thru? Are there states/counties/parks with ban hammers? Is it common for people to bring liquid gold?

jimmyjam
09-30-2014, 06:45
easier to buy a plastic "traveler" pint at the abc store when you make a town stop

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

dangerdave
09-30-2014, 08:31
I make wine in my cellar...good wine, some award winners. I've been puzzling as to how to take some with me, at least through the first few days. Maybe I'll carry a carefully contained assortment with me on the approach trail and we'll have us a genuine celebratory launch party at the shelter at Springer.

Who wants to drink some wine with Danger?

bigcranky
09-30-2014, 09:53
How feasible is it to bring a flask on the AT for a thru? Are there states/counties/parks with ban hammers? Is it common for people to bring liquid gold?

If you must have a special spirit, get one of the smaller plastic bottles next time you're at the liquor store, then refill it with your favorite spirits before the hike.

Then, when in town, find a good liquor store, buy your favorite, pour as much as will fit into your little plastic (lightweight) bottle, and share what remains with your fellow hikers. You will be very popular.

runt13
09-30-2014, 10:38
Although I didn't hike it, my wife and I did the Kentucky bourbon trail last year. It was awesome. However we did stay in a tent on the Kentucky river for 10 days.

RUNT ''13''

freightliner
09-30-2014, 16:32
What I see on the trail most is things people smoke not usually drink because you have to carry it. If you learn how to yogi good you may get some from campers(People who hike in from the closest road to camp for the night). If I go to store for a burger and a quick resupply I usually grab two beers one to drink there and one for diner. To me it dosent get any better than that and I don't have to carry two empty can out. Cheers!!!

general
09-30-2014, 19:00
There is no such thing as legal moonshine. That stuff ain't shine!

BuckeyeBill
09-30-2014, 22:38
There is no such thing as legal moonshine. That stuff ain't shine!

I think the closest you can come legally is Everclear which is 90-95% grain alcohol. I remember a TV program where a moonshiner was getting the permits to make his shine recipe but I don't know how that turned out.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

Sarcasm the elf
09-30-2014, 22:44
I think the closest you can come legally is Everclear which is 90-95% grain alcohol. I remember a TV program where a moonshiner was getting the permits to make his shine recipe but I don't know how that turned out.

There's a boom in legal white whiskeys that are being marketed as "moonshine" most of the one's I've seen are only 80 proof. The strongest one I've seen is Buffalo Trace 125 proo (http://buffalotracedistillery.com/brands/white-dog)f, but there's probably someone out there making stronger stuff legally.

BuckeyeBill
09-30-2014, 22:58
There's a boom in legal white whiskeys that are being marketed as "moonshine" most of the one's I've seen are only 80 proof. The strongest one I've seen is Buffalo Trace 125 proo (http://buffalotracedistillery.com/brands/white-dog)f, but there's probably someone out there making stronger stuff legally.

At 125 proof is only 62.5%.

Sarcasm the elf
09-30-2014, 23:15
At 125 proof is only 62.5%.

Aye, not even close to being able to run my stove, at least buffalo trace has the sense to market it as white whiskey and not as moonshine. :rolleyes:

July
09-30-2014, 23:19

Old saying... "there ain't no party like a moonshine party cause a moonshine party don't stop" .

hikehunter
09-30-2014, 23:41
I usually drink the "wild water of the Tennessee"...however, to night I am embiding the cool brew of "Shinner Texas" (the best beer mild beer in the world).

I like the oakeyness of the midwest mountains.

Good spirits are like good coffee ..... the water is the key....

I have sampled many.... from east to west....and north to south.....

there are some that are better than others... I have found that the "devils cut" is the best....;););):cool::cool::cool:

tazzerboy
09-30-2014, 23:46
Home brewing is one my other hobbies that I enjoy doing when I'm not hiking or planning a hike. One of the guys I brew with is chemistry teacher that also makes his own shine. He said he made a batch that was 186 proof before.
Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk

JohnnySnook
10-01-2014, 01:37
Yes a good drink very now and then is nice. Maybe bring a little flask of wild turkey?
The legal moonshine is a joke. Even half the stuff people claim to be moonshine is a joke.
I've only had real moonshine once. The buzz was nothing like anything you can buy. We play volleyball once a week and a buddy came down from the north with some. We only did a couple shots and the rest is history. We all felt warm and fuzzy. Plenty of laughs on the court. I also woke up in the morning feeling great. If they managed to bring some more down here you could get ride a tiny jar for some good money.
Only have seen the real deal moonshine once.
Now a bourbon is nice also. Sorry for the derail. It seems to be one of my bad habits.

jjozgrunt
10-01-2014, 02:16
I usually drink the "wild water of the Tennessee"...however, to night I am embiding the cool brew of "Shinner Texas" (the best beer mild beer in the world).

Trust a Texan to be claiming the best beer in the world, a trophy already won by any Aussie beer.

Wise Old Owl
10-02-2014, 21:43

Ya Everclear isnt anywhere near shine! Shine is smooth, EC is harsh, EC is illegal for many years in PA now it appears it is back in state stores.

rocketsocks
10-02-2014, 21:53
Trust a Texan to be claiming the best beer in the world, a trophy already won by any Aussie beer.
...nothin like a Sixer of oil cans.

July
10-02-2014, 21:56
...nothin like a Sixer of oil cans.

nothin like a quart of blackberry creekwater...:)

rocketsocks
10-03-2014, 00:11
nothin like a quart of blackberry creekwater...:)

when the fall nights get cool...ah, those were the days...just a tea toadler know...coffee really. But black berry brandy around a bon fire...found memories.

greentick
10-03-2014, 21:32
Knob Creek is our group standard.

Got Four Roses single barrel, Knob Creek, Woodford, and Michter's all in various stages of usage in the cabinet at home.

dangerdave
10-04-2014, 15:36
I've got thirty gallons of red wine of five different varietals (including six gallons of a mix of all five) made form juice from Chile, all ready to bottle. They will be superb by next spring. I even have three port wines down in the cellar---which would be the "wine of choice" for backpacking winos, with it's higher ABV. The orange chocolate port tastes just like an orange Tootsie Pop. Amazing!

<Hey, don't laugh! It's my creative outlet! Some people create art, others make music, some sing, and I make wine.>

We got no wine drinkers in next years Class?

jjozgrunt
10-05-2014, 07:02
Danger I love a good port or a bad one or any port. When did you say you were leaving? Best stuff I've ever had was a clear yellow port from Porta in Portugal. 40 years old and so smooth.

jjozgrunt
10-05-2014, 07:05
I drink red wines as well, but I have noticed that aussie reds are a lot more full bodied than reds from most countries. My favorite is called Squid Ink a shiraz from South Australia. It's so dark it's almost black hence the name.

Furlough
10-05-2014, 08:21
Hey when you get to the Waynesboro VA there is always route 151 - a whole road of breweries, wineries, a cidery and a distillery. Drop down from Reeds Gap work your way up 151 to Waynesboro then get a shuttle back to Reeds then walk your way into Waynesboro - or the other way around. Either way good food and good fun :)

Did not know this. Next Trail maintenance trip I may need to head back home that way.

CELTIC BUCK
10-05-2014, 09:43
Maker's Mark is my #1 choice ; have had the Gold waxed version twice can't find it in New York heard a tale once that Kentucky keeps it all.

bigcranky
10-05-2014, 14:06
Don't much like bourbon. Rye is good, and getting more popular so there are more choices. But my personal favorites are from the wild islands on the west coast of Scotland-- Islay, Jura, and Skye. Laphroig, Ardbeg, Jura, Talisker, Lagavulin, etc. Mmmmmmm.

Sarcasm the elf
10-06-2014, 00:20
Don't much like bourbon. Rye is good, and getting more popular so there are more choices. But my personal favorites are from the wild islands on the west coast of Scotland-- Islay, Jura, and Skye. Laphroig, Ardbeg, Jura, Talisker, Lagavulin, etc. Mmmmmmm.

Macallan and Oban?

bigcranky
10-06-2014, 08:37
Macallan and Oban?

Oban is terrific, though it's pricey here in NC. For sherry-cask-aged Highland malts, I prefer The Dalmore over the Macallan. My wife's favorite is Caol Ila, which is an Islay single malt, very thick and peaty; something like 98% of their production is sold for blending, but what they bottle is sublime. Not available in NC at all, so we have to look for it when we travel. If I had to pick one widely available single malt to drink forever, it would be Lagavulin, but that stuff is a hundred bucks a bottle. So the bottle tends to last a couple of years :) Of course, none of these is a "training wheels" Scotch except maybe the Dalmore or the Macallan.

hikehunter
10-06-2014, 23:42
Once ...again...."BIG Kranky" may be correctt.....

JohnnySnook
10-06-2014, 23:50
Can anyone recommend good nip houses close to the AT?
Maybe the best towns that you may run into some special trail magic?
PM's Welcomed.

bigcranky
10-07-2014, 07:09
Once ...again...."BIG Kranky" may be correctt.....

Ask ten Scotch drinkers and get fifteen opinions, all of them correct. :)

Old Grouse
10-07-2014, 11:46
For bourbon, give Blantons a try. For rye, try Whistle Pig. You won't be sorry.

Dogwood
10-07-2014, 18:08
If you're drinking bourbon and water I hope you purified the water from parasites. Wait, does bourbon kill Giardia? I may have to replace my Aqua Mira drops with bourbon purifying drops/shots. :eek:

twistwrist
10-07-2014, 20:21
In the last couple days the reality of this thru-hike has really hit me. Right now, I'm making notes in my AT guide of things I want to see, places I want to stop, ideal refuel locations. Checking out the satellite view, marking down the food I'll need.

God, I am so pumped.

You sound just like where I am right now! Damn, there's SO MUCH INFORMATION OUT THERE! I'm on page 15 of my Word document I'm compiling.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
10-08-2014, 06:30
Did not know this. Next Trail maintenance trip I may need to head back home that way.

Yeah Furlough, going south from Reeds toward 151. At the bottom is Devils Backbone and the Wintergreen Winery. Hang a left on 151, Bold Rock cidery will come up on your right, then Wild Wolf on the left continue on, pass through Nellysford, down the road a bit is the distillery, SilverBack, (it's pretty new) then Route 151 (used to be the blue toad) then Blue Mountain Brewery. Various wineries off on the side roads. When's the next trail maintenance for that area?

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
10-08-2014, 06:38
I've got thirty gallons of red wine of five different varietals (including six gallons of a mix of all five) made form juice from Chile, all ready to bottle. They will be superb by next spring. I even have three port wines down in the cellar---which would be the "wine of choice" for backpacking winos, with it's higher ABV. The orange chocolate port tastes just like an orange Tootsie Pop. Amazing!

<Hey, don't laugh! It's my creative outlet! Some people create art, others make music, some sing, and I make wine.>

We got no wine drinkers in next years Class?

I love a good red wine. Not too much experience with ports though. Sounds like I need to branch out. Chocolate orange port!! What!! Sounds delicious!!