PDA

View Full Version : Negative Thoughts After a Rough Section Hike

soumodeler
09-29-2014, 22:34
It is amazing how one bad trip can make you question yourself. I hiked Amicalola Falls to Unicoi Gap Sept 1-5 and it was probably the worst hike I have ever been on. It started out as a 13 day, Amicalola to Fontana section trip, but was quickly cut short due to the humidity. That is the only reason I can come up with for the trail to have whipped me so badly.

I weekend section hiked a lot of Georgia earlier this year, and I was knocking out 16-18 mile days without any problems. On this trip, I have never felt so drained after an "easy" 10 mile day. I had to have been dehydrated half the time. Pouring sweat, I was drenched as soon as I started hiking. It was miserable.

I would have bailed at Neel Gap if I had found a ride, but everyone I called was unavailable. So I pushed on to Unicoi and got picked up there. It was a disappointment of a trip.

Thinking back on it now, I am questioning my idea to thru hike next year. If I can't handle Georgia without quitting when it gets rough, what makes me think I can handle the entire AT? It is kind of depressing.

Anyone else having pre-hike blues/second thoughts?

illabelle
09-29-2014, 22:59
We were hiking in that area over Labor Day, and yes it was hot and humid! When it was finally over, I felt so beat up, even though our mileage was a fairly modest 12+ mpd. I don't think I could do a thru-hike. I would have a rough time staying with it through the summer heat.
But that's why I have enthusiasm for section-hiking. I can pick and choose the time of year for each section, avoiding heat, humidity, storms, bugs, drought, blizzards, etc.

denefi
09-29-2014, 23:02
Sorry to hear that you had a rough go at it. I think it's normal to question things after a bad trip, or at the end of a bad day.

A few thoughts:

To whatever extent you were suffering as a result of humidity, fatigue, etc., you have tons of time to get stronger before next year. It sounds like you're already fairly strong, anyways, as you're generally able to do 16-18 mile days. You should think of this trip as a dud, and maybe take away from it the learning experience of knowing what it's like for the hike to really suck. Unfortunately, there will probably be sections of next year's thru hike that suck even more. You might get sick, hit a week of rain, have a small injury, etc. Be ready for it to be awful, and then, most importantly, don't quit on a crappy day. Wait until you've had a good day before you entertain thoughts of pulling out (before or during the hike).

Sometimes it's great and serves a purpose to just voice the 'damn, that sucked'. Sounds like it did, and sorry bud. Now just go have yourself another hike. Just my two cents.

* Side note - my tentative plan to combat the rainy day blues will be to keep a laminated picture of my cubicle (i.e., past life) in my pack. Gonna pull that sucker out whenever I'm feeling down.

Second Hand
09-29-2014, 23:20
I had a pretty rough section hike on the LT last week. I'm getting pretty far North, days are getting shorter, trail is getting harder, I couldn't cover my planned distance, it rained alot, the trail was muddy and some nights got below freezing. I also didn't run into a lot of people. General when I do section hikes on the AT I meet groups of people I pass several times or share shelters with. The Northern 140 miles of the LT offers a lot more solitude.

Although being unable to knock off big miles was discouraging, and at times I was pretty lonely, I looked back on the trip fondly. I was proud of myself for pushing forward when I had chances to get off the trail, and I took away some lessons as I continue my push to finish the LT this year.

My point is, try to take this experience as a learning opportunity. You learn about yourself and your limitations. Also, keep in mind a thru hike offers a lot more freedom. You usually hike with groups and friends that will help support you. If the humidity is getting to you, maybe you hike to town and take a 0 or do less miles until the humidity breaks. Section hikes are difficult because you have a set distance in a set amount of time.

AO2134
09-29-2014, 23:32
I did that same section over labor day weekend. It was rough with temperature. I sweat a lot normally. That weekend was out of control. I had to change into new socks twice a day and still had god awful blisters. We did 17 miles day 1. 15+ miles day 2. I did 18+ miles day 3. and 10+ miles day 4 ending at 12 PM.

It was hot. It was rough. You would be long gone before you get those temps. By the time you see those temps, you will have your trail legs. I wouldn't let it get you down, but then again, I just started hiking so what do I know.

BuckeyeBill
09-29-2014, 23:47
I would suggest you get and read Appalachian Trials by Zach Davis. In it he discusses the "SUCK" and how to handle it with a smile on your face. Good luck on your thru attempt next year.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

Praha4
09-30-2014, 00:34
been there, done that, got the t-shirt. I've hiked that section in spring, summer and fall, and I know it feels a lot worse in the hot/humid weather, and it really is a challenge to stay hydrated. I live in Florida, and that heat/humidity is what we suffer through down here over half the year. Labor Day weekend was miserable humid along most all the east coast this year. As far as it affecting your thru hike plans, my suggestion is take a little time off hiking to think more about it before cancelling your plans, then get back out and do some day hikes to build endurance. When hiking in hot weather, take more breaks on the trail, try to keep a wet bandana around your head or neck during the day, eat more salty foods, and try adding some electrolytes to your water, like Mio Fit, Gu-Brew, or NUUN tabs.

jjozgrunt
09-30-2014, 02:33
I think everyone has a bad day or two occasionally, where everything seems wrong and you start to question yourself. It's small part physical and a big part mental thing, it's easy to quit when you have an option, harder to keep going when there is no requirement to.

My favorite answer to recruits in basic when they said they couldn't go on. Your not dead or unconscious so get up and keep going until you are.

Then you throw on a pack again and everything is sweet, the world is okay and the miles come and go.

I live in a hot humid area and most of the spring and summer walks are in 30 - 40C (84 - 104F) temperatures and you have to adapt your walking to the conditions. Sit and think about what went wrong and then improve it. Hot humid weather, you need more water and electrolytes especially if you sweat heavily, you also don't usually feel like eating much during the day so you are not getting the fuel your body needs, try glucose tablets for a bit of an energy hit or other easy to eat high energy foods and then more water. Have a siesta in the middle of the day 11am - 2pm and eat after you have rested. Eat big meals in the early morning or after dark when you cool down. Take a water bottle to bed and if you wake during the night more water. Shorten the distances traveled or do some night walking.

From what I have read in others journals by the time you hit the hot and humid weather on the AT your body should have had a chance to slowly adjust to those rising temperatures and humidity and it won't be such a big problem.

Now coming from my end of summer to a Georgia spring in mid march next year, that will be my big problem. Freezing my you know what off will be the reason I'll want to quit so watch out in the shelters for the aussie spooner "I'm just friendly not trying to steal your heat".

Kaptain Kangaroo
09-30-2014, 02:46
I wouldn't worry too much, maybe hot weather is just not your strength.
In cold weather I am just about unstoppable, but put me in a hot, humid summers day and I turn into a soft, floppy puddle of hopelessness !!
that's why I started my thru in early March and finished by early July..mostly to avoid the heat.

Do enough hiking to understand your strengths (and weaknesses) and then plan accordingly.
and everyone has bad days...... You do need a strategy to deal with them. One of the best pieces of advice I have seen on WB is to not make a decision to quit your hike while on trail. Get into town for a couple of days & then see if you still feel like quitting.

rafe
09-30-2014, 05:13
I've quit at least one or two section hikes due to overly hot and humid conditions. One trick for hot weather hiking... take off your shirt, soak it in a stream, wring it out, and put it back on. Might be a bit uncomfortable for the first few seconds, but it'll feel great over the next hour or two as it's drying. Do the same with your bandana. Splash some water on your face when you get a chance.

Rocket Jones
09-30-2014, 06:12
There are several products out there called "neck coolers". Basically, you soak them and the beads inside swell with water, then it cools you as the water slowly evaporates. I've seen instructions online on how to make your own too. My wife and I each have one, and they really do work.

As for the "bad" hike, consider the alternatives. You could have been at work instead, or too injured to hike. Look for those silver linings.

10-K
09-30-2014, 06:26
I've only quit a hike once and that was the Bartram Trail where a long road walk begins (hiking north). I had just hiked through 20 miles of terribly maintained trail and was done with it...... so I told myself I'd call the shuttle guy and if he could come I would quit - otherwise I'd continue. He came, and I left.

Quitting ate at me so much I was back the following weekend to finish. I learned my lesson and now no matter how much I may want to quit in the moment I keep moving. And the feeling passes eventually.

I think you're right to use this trip as an indicator for your upcoming thru hike. If it were me I I'd get back to Amicalola ASAP and beat that section by successfully hiking it.

Pedaling Fool
09-30-2014, 07:15
What's the saying? I believe it's: "A bad day on the trail is better than a good day at the office" Well, apparently that's not true:)

I find it difficult to believe humidity in Sept would be much of a problem, if it were you got some serious prepin' to do for Virginia, Maryland, Penn....; because you'll be there in the summer during a thru-hike.

Sometimes we just go thru bad periods and when we are not performing up to what we are normally use to, that messes with our psyche and we start making excuses for the cause. Next time don't be so quick to assign blame to what ails you and try and figure out the problem, but remember everyone goes thru bad patches and sometimes you just have to slow down and deal with it and not let your reduced performance affect your psyche, so much.

BTW, roughly how much hiking experience do you have?

joshuasdad
09-30-2014, 07:58
Georgia has the toughest hiking south of New Hampshire...I wouldn't be too concerned about getting whipped by "easy" 10 mile days there using a full pack. I doubt that many NOBOs go faster than that under much easier (i.e., cooler) conditions.

Slo-go'en
09-30-2014, 08:43
Georgia has the toughest hiking south of New Hampshire...I wouldn't be too concerned about getting whipped by "easy" 10 mile days there using a full pack. I doubt that many NOBOs go faster than that under much easier (i.e., cooler) conditions.

Georgia is a piece of cake but I wouldn't want to try and hike it at any time other then the early spring. I really hate hiking in hot, humid weather. It saps my energy big time. The way to deal with it is to try and do most of the miles early in the day while it's still at least a little cool out. Drink a lot of water and replace those electrolytes. Take plenty of breaks later in the afternoon when the heat becomes insufferable.

Anyway, don't let one bad trip discourage you from attempting a thru. Two bad trips, maybe ;) A thru hike is not all sunshine and butterflies. You have to learn to take the good with the bad and hopefully the good out weighs the bad by a significant amount.

jred321
09-30-2014, 09:30
I can't speak specifically to hiking, but with any physical activity you're going to have some days that are better than others. The key is to stick with it and recognize that even if your performance wasn't the best on a given day it was still better than sitting at home on the couch. You're going to go through peaks and valleys (pun intended) and that's ok.

Damn Yankee
09-30-2014, 09:35
During my High Sierra hike a couple weeks ago, I had more elevation gain than I have ever hiked. Very steep, very long and unforgiving, not to mention the altitude and carrying more weight than I have done since the military in 09. I hated life a hundred times for each ascent. I was huffing and puffing, my knees hurt, thirsty etc. By the 3rd day I was feeling and doing much better. My point is, don't be so quick to give up, your body then your mind will adjust quickly. Also, I wasn't prepared physical for that type of hiking so, to get a jump on the hike, get yourself in better condition, hike more, weight train and work on cardio.

Seatbelt
09-30-2014, 10:53
[QUOTE=Pedaling Fool;1911857]I find it difficult to believe humidity in Sept would be much of a problem, if it were you got some serious prepin' to do for Virginia, Maryland, Penn....; because you'll be there in the summer during a thru-hike.

The humidity can be almost unbearable in GA even in Oct. It was for me in 2010 and I am pretty "used to" the humidity from where I live. Like others have said, don't expect as much out of yourself under these conditions and drink extra, rest more often, etc.

Gambit McCrae
09-30-2014, 11:00
Bad hikes make good memories, might be why eveyone loves their thru hike so much

gsingjane
09-30-2014, 11:29
Maybe this is heresy, and if so - here goes anyway, I guess.

I did what you did, went out on a big section hike to see if I thought I might like to do a really long hike one day, such as a thru-hike, and I actually found out that, at this point in my life, I don't want to do that. For me, it was more that the emotional pain and strain of being apart from loved ones for so long was a serious problem and definitely a red flag that that might be a hike-ending issue. It also showed me that, even though there were parts of it that were fun and adventurous, it wasn't fun and adventurous "enough" to warrant spending six months on it. There are a lot of things I like to do, whether that's running, cooking, reading, being with friends... but I don't like doing any of those things enough to want to do them all day, every day, for six months.

I don't know, maybe if I quit a job, told everybody I was thru-hiking, geared up, put six months aside to do it - I'd feel as if I had to follow through no matter what. Maybe the embarrassment factor of coming back early would propel me through a long hike, I don't know. I do know that by a few days into it, I was counting the days until it was over, and that was a huge surprise to me, I had never expected to feel that way.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, despite what anybody else says, try and figure out what this hike is saying to you, and be as honest with yourself as you can be. It isn't the end of the world if you decide not to go on a thru-hike. I, for one, am extremely glad that I had this experience before I made a huge commitment like embarking on a thru, I know a lot more about myself than I did before and that alone was worth the price!

Jane

slbirdnerd
09-30-2014, 11:36
Perseverance and discipline. Find those within yourself, and you'll make it.

Coffee
09-30-2014, 11:54
There are always going to be issues on any hike especially one that lasts several days or weeks. I think that it helps to keep a daily journal. If you have a bad day, spend some time that evening reading the journal from other points in the trip and focus on the good days. If the bad days start to overwhelm the good days for a period of time, then maybe it is worthwhile to examine why the bad days are bad. There are some things that are fixable (being hungry, tired, etc) and some things that are not (weather, chronic conditions). I've never felt badly enough about a hike to abort it early but I probably wouldn't hesitate to do so if the bad days started to overwhelm the good days and there was no prospect of fixing the situation in a reasonable timeframe. This is a recreational activity. There really isn't a penalty for quitting other than those one internally imposes.

Gambit McCrae
09-30-2014, 11:58
I know that this weekend was only 36 miles for me, but that I had had enough trips come to a close too early this year from all sorts of reasons that there was no way I wasnt walking the goal.

jred321
09-30-2014, 12:36
Good advice for hiking...

Pedaling Fool
09-30-2014, 13:35
[QUOTE=[]Seatbelt;1911857]

The humidity can be almost unbearable in GA even in Oct. It was for me in 2010 and I am pretty "used to" the humidity from where I live. Like others have said, don't expect as much out of yourself under these conditions and drink extra, rest more often, etc.I have to confess that I've never been in the Georgia Appalachians in Sept; however, I have a hard time believing it's the same as the mid-Atlantic in the dead of summer, but I could be wrong, but surely it's not any worse.

But, regardless, it brings me back to my question to the OP on my previous post: Roughly how much hiking experience?

Anyone with a moderate amount I would think knows how much heat/humidity affects their hiking.

Seatbelt
09-30-2014, 13:41
[QUOTE=Seatbelt;1911919]
But, regardless, it brings me back to my question to the OP on my previous post: Roughly how much hiking experience?

Anyone with a moderate amount I would think knows how much heat/humidity affects their hiking.

I agree totally. I guess this is one way to achieve the needed hiking experience. The adverse often toughens us up and helps us to prepare ourself for the next trip.:)

Dogwood
09-30-2014, 14:05
Don't get so negative Soumodeler about your recent hike.

What happened to you happens to many of us, including me right now on a 375 mile Border Route Trail/Superior Hiking Trail thru-hike. Despite us(ME!) wishfully thinking I'm ALWAYS going to be eternally in primo physical long distance hiking condition or conditions will always allow me to immediately pick up where I left off from the finish of my last long distance hike attaining my typical avg MPD of about 24 miles I have not been able to do so physically even though I'm largely mentally capable. Humidity and lack of humidity can also drain us. For what ever reason(s) sometimes(and often) we have to work our way into our hikes. That's even more obvious on longer hikes. This can be particularly frustrating at first especially on previously hiked trail where you had a much higher MPD avg but stay with it and expect to work your way into your hikes at times. That's what I've been doing and it has been working. That's particulary important to get clear because you will very likely be doing just that when embarking on your thru-hike - work your way into your hike. Observe. Learn. Be wise. Adapt. Manage your hike. Manage yourself - physically, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually.

Another Kevin
09-30-2014, 15:21
I often do less than I planned on a trip, but that's because I never do more than what I have on the safety plan I've left at home.

On the day after a trip that doesn't go as planned, I often find myself saying, "I'll never do that again!"

After at most a couple of weeks, I'm itching to go again. (I tell my wife I have itchy feet. She answers, "they make a powder for that!")

Disclaimer: My hiking style is short-mileage. (But it's often tough mileage: dense brush, or Class 4 scrambling, or beaver activity, or routefinding challenges, or snow, or ...) So I don't have the experience of the challenge of making a given count of miles per day.

rafe
09-30-2014, 15:47
Anyone else having pre-hike blues/second thoughts?

It's good to have those second thoughts now rather than later. If you're going to embark on something like a thru hike, you need to seriously, honestly, deeply understand why you're doing it. In your heart, in your bones. Or maybe you can fake it, and get by with an unshakeable sense of humor or lightness of heart. Because there will be days of doubt, for sure.

Or just accept that a thru-hike is a pretty warped concept in the first place. Section hikes relieve you of the extreme "miles per day" worries in any case. You can take as long as you like to cover the distance, choose your seasons, your directions, start and end points, etc. Walk this part northbound, walk that part southbound. Do the middle section last. The possibilities are endless.

daddytwosticks
09-30-2014, 15:49
Do what makes you happy. One sure test to see if you are a hiker...no matter how badly a section hike went for me, I was always looking forward to the next planned hike. If you don't have that excited feeling in your gut about a next planned hike, take a break until you get that bug again. :)

freightliner
09-30-2014, 16:01
I would like to weigh in on this one. I don't know what you ate during your hike but the more you sweat the more salt you need. Park rangers usually carry bags of potato chip in there packs for hikers with bad cases of heat stress. Most people take about three weeks to get there body and mind in shape to backpack. That is why 30% of thru hikers quit by neels gap. This may or not help you but what I do is the first week I do little 5 to 8 miles. After that I go with a rule of no less than 10 miles and not more than 15. It helps me not to over do it until I m in shape before I know it I m doing 10 miles by noon and ready to go. I live with 10 by 12 for the rest of the hike.

Also if it where easy everyone would do it

general
09-30-2014, 19:09
Ha, welcome to the north Georgia mountains in the summer time. In early September, 10 miles a day is a little more reasonable. Even in early spring, fresh out of the gate, 10 miles a day is a little more reasonable.

Dogwood
09-30-2014, 19:16
Liked you comment on getting over things by writing daily in a journal Coffee.

soumodeler
09-30-2014, 20:32
The trip was definitely a learning experience. I would like to think that I know the GA section south of Unicoi well. I have hiked it many times, including twice this year alone. I was out in July and August in that section with no issues, so it really surprised me that only a few weeks later I was struggling over the same section I had just done. I actually don't think the GA section is all that hard, possibly because I am so used to hiking it. I get on the AT about 6-7 times per year, mainly for 2-3 days, 20-35 miles. I consider myself to be an experienced backpacker, just not much long term hiking experience.

I am already planning another hike over this same section, in much cooler weather. Not practical with work to attempt the full 13 days again, so I will just do Amicalola to Unicoi again.

I was actually glad that no shuttles were available when I called from Neel Gap. I did not enjoy the hike any more the next two days, but I did kinda prove that I could keep going for a little while. A shower and a pizza helped. I quit on the third crappy day, not the first :).

The two things that I think would have made a difference would be cooler weather/less humidity and more people on the trail. If I had others to share in the misery it might have been easier.

I think it is time for a reread of Appalachian Trials.

MuddyWaters
09-30-2014, 20:52
Slow down, take the pressure off. The goal is to enjoy yourself, not beat yourself up, whether that be physically or mentally. Set a loose schedule, not a stretch one.

Some days you will feel like big miles, some you won't. Go with the flow.

Odd Man Out
09-30-2014, 21:28
I planned a 71 mile 6 day hike in VA this past July. I was worried about the heat, but that turned out not to be a problem. I had planned on doing 12 miles per day for 6 days, which seemed pretty reasonable, but after only 3 days, my knee was very sore. I would probably have quite then, if I was at a camp site with phone or road access (but I wasn't). So I did one more low mileage day on day 4 to get to a place I could be "rescued", took a zero on day 5 and did day six as a day hike. In the end only did about 50 miles. I was pretty bummed out that things didn't go as planned, but I did enjoy getting out, met some great folks, saw a bear, etc.. so all in all, if I ignore my preconceived dilutions of grandeur I had going in, I had a great time.

But I think in some ways, section hikers challenges the thru hikers don't. Eventually thru hikers get conditioned, but that takes a few weeks. I am lucky to get in one hike per year so on my next hike, I fear I will be equally out of shape and go through the whole thing over again. An the logistics of planning a short section hike is challenging when I don't know how many miles I will be able to do, and that results in having to carry more water, food, and giving you fewer camping options. On a thru hike, it doesn't matter much if I take a zero or or a low mileage day here or there. I'm wouldn't be tied to a schedule of having to meet a shuttle driver, or catch a flight home, etc...

WingedMonkey
10-01-2014, 10:48
You might not be ready for a thru-hike. Even though some of the experts think you can train a monkey to do one.

I don't question your hiking ability or your miles.

I question your strong desire to quit.

You had 13 days off and stayed in the woods for less than 5. Why didn't you find a way to stay in the woods for the 13 days you had off? Stop and rest, spend more than one night camped by a nice creek were it was cool. Wonder around a bit with out your pack see what's in the woods.

Even if you couldn't do the miles you seem to lack the desire to be in the woods for 13 days.

Maybe, as you said if others were around to encourage you you might have stuck it out. Will you always have that on a thru-hike?

Good luck, and try again.

Colter
10-01-2014, 11:20
Maybe this is heresy, and if so - here goes anyway, I guess.

I did what you did, went out on a big section hike to see if I thought I might like to do a really long hike one day, such as a thru-hike, and I actually found out that, at this point in my life, I don't want to do that. For me, it was more that the emotional pain and strain of being apart from loved ones for so long was a serious problem and definitely a red flag that that might be a hike-ending issue. It also showed me that, even though there were parts of it that were fun and adventurous, it wasn't fun and adventurous "enough" to warrant spending six months on it. There are a lot of things I like to do, whether that's running, cooking, reading, being with friends... but I don't like doing any of those things enough to want to do them all day, every day, for six months.

I don't know, maybe if I quit a job, told everybody I was thru-hiking, geared up, put six months aside to do it - I'd feel as if I had to follow through no matter what. Maybe the embarrassment factor of coming back early would propel me through a long hike, I don't know. I do know that by a few days into it, I was counting the days until it was over, and that was a huge surprise to me, I had never expected to feel that way.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, despite what anybody else says, try and figure out what this hike is saying to you, and be as honest with yourself as you can be. It isn't the end of the world if you decide not to go on a thru-hike. I, for one, am extremely glad that I had this experience before I made a huge commitment like embarking on a thru, I know a lot more about myself than I did before and that alone was worth the price!

Jane

A very sensible post.

Seatbelt
10-01-2014, 12:02
So far I have done 12 section hikes of the AT starting in Oct 2010 totalling 500+ miles, some stretches I have done more than once. My experiences have varied greatly from miserable to highly enjoyable. My advice would be simply this; don't write the trail experience or thru-hike attempt off just because of one bad experience--or two for that matter. Keep your spirits up and come back, at least the next trip won't likely be worse or even as bad as this one!!

Dogwood
10-01-2014, 14:23
"The two things that I think would have made a difference would be cooler weather/less humidity and more people on the trail."

Maybe, but MAYBE the issue isn't out there. Maybe, the issue is with you - INSIDE YOU - the way you're thinking, the way you're reacting, the way you're perceiving. CHANGE YOUR PERSPECTIVE!

"If I had others to share in the misery it might have been easier."

I can tell you this kind of thinking can easily become habitual eventually coming around to entertain thoughts of quitting. We get what we tend to habitually think or focus upon. Think about quitting and that is what you're likely to act out. FIND SOME WAY, ACTUALLY MANY MANY WAYS, SPECIFIC TO YOU THAT ALLOWS YOU TO BE GRATEFUL CHARITABLE TO KNOWINGLY GROW WISER EVEN BE JOYOUS ABOUT YOUR HIKING! If not you will continue to be miserable. You'll keep amassing reasons, perceived or actual, that will lead to greater misery. And, even though this has been stated many times, with some still not fully grasping it, above all else, KNOW that hiking(thru-hiking) IS NOT just about hiking or accumulating miles or attaining high MPD avgs. Neither is it just about you! You might get those alternative goals integrated into your hikes; it's my contention that if you do you'll likely be a better, more appreciative, more generous, and happier hiker.:)

GoldenBear
10-01-2014, 14:26
Nothing new.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/entry.php?583-Based-on-my-choices-from-a-week-ago-I-nominate-myself-for-quot-Bonehead-of-the-Year-quot

Pedaling Fool
10-01-2014, 15:06
You might not be ready for a thru-hike. Even though some of the experts think you can train a monkey to do one.

You had 13 days off and stayed in the woods for less than 5. Why didn't you find a way to stay in the woods for the 13 days you had off? Stop and rest, spend more than one night camped by a nice creek were it was cool. Wonder around a bit with out your pack see what's in the woods.

Even if you couldn't do the miles you seem to lack the desire to be in the woods for 13 days.

Maybe, as you said if others were around to encourage you you might have stuck it out. Will you always have that on a thru-hike?

Good luck, and try again.There's a lot of truth in the above post. If you're doing these hikes in preparation for a thru-hike, then just because you may be hiking slower than your normal rate (whatever that is and whatever the cause) you should stay out there and endure it (barring any serious injuries...), because you will definitely have this experience on a thru-hike. You don't necessarily want to force yourself to do your normal miles, but you also don't want to quit, there's more to thru-hiking than just walking.

gumball
10-01-2014, 19:19
Its okay to not like something. Its okay to change your mind about not liking something and try again. Neither makes you a failure. Its simply an experience and its not for everyone. Hike your own hike applies to everything, not just trail time. Be well with whatever you decide, including changing your mind if that occurs. gum

Cookerhiker
10-01-2014, 22:49
You were accustomed to hiking in the GA humidity with long mileage. So what was the difference? All your previous hikes were weekend-only, meaning a much lighter pack and a mindset that you'd be finished in 2, 3 days at most. The difficulty was you had to make the transition to a longer hike. You're physically in good shape but you need to make the mental/psychological adjustment to more days on the trail, a heavier pack, and planning logistics like resupply.

I've been there - all my backpacking prior to retirement was 3-4 day weekends at most. I never envisioned doing 100 miles, let alone 500, 1,000, a thru-hike. When I finally took the plunge to hike 100 miles in '04 (with some trepidation), I worked out but also worked on my mental approach which also included my first backpack of any length in winter. I didn't thru-hike but worked my way to several 100+ mile section hikes.

Drawing on this experience, I hope you'll now see what's involved in a longer hike and prepare - mentally as well as physically.

P.S. As part of your preparation, keep in mind that on a traditional NOBO thruhike, you reach the mid-Atlantic low-elevation, close-to-the-ocean states of MD, PA, NJ, NY, CT in summer. Trust me, the humidity will be at least as oppressive as GA and the mosquitoes worse.

dangerdave
10-02-2014, 06:36
I hope you are getting encouragement from these posts, soumodeler. I think it's important to be prepared for what's coming. The yin & yang of the whole thru-hike is balance. There will be times when it will suck very much. You are going to want to quit at some point. For most people I think it's inevitable. This negative aspect will be balanced by all the positives: natural beauty, enduring friendships, meaningful introspection, the quest of a life-time, and it's final reward.

My longest hike ever was 12 miles, last week. I know I am up for the mental challenges. It's the physical part that concerns me, but that can be overcome by thoughtful preparation. I told my wife I am leaving in March to thru-hike the AT, and I am not coming home until it is done. She said, "I know." (She says that a lot). There is nothing short of complete physical debilitation that will stop me. In my mind, it is already done. I just have to go and claim it.

Join me.

rocketsocks
10-02-2014, 07:23

Good luck, and try again.
you can train em to ride high horses too.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSrnCxkGhMeheJV-XyUW2riEtdxinBzbH7UWLfV8cIgTUbNWlk4:www.blogcdn.co m/www.urlesque.com/media/2008/12/15-monkeyonahorse.jpg