PDA

View Full Version : Current water and trail conditions between glassmine gap to fontana dam?

saltysack
09-30-2014, 09:39
Planning to hike the week of oct 20 the 65 mile section in 4 days..any input appreciated

Day 1 start mid day
12.5 mi from glassmine gap to siler bald.

Day 2
17 mi Siler bald to wesser bald shelter

Day 3
13.8 mi Wesser bald shelter to cheoah bald or few more miles to shorten final day. Plan to eat early lunch at NOC may

Day 4
21 mi cheoah bald to fontana visitors center parking...

Any details,water,tent sites I'm open to input... Any leaf color change showing yet??Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gambit McCrae
09-30-2014, 09:54
I did Wayah bald to Deep Gap this weekend, Lots of water in this section. ALOT of water.

You wil pass a creek .1 north of Winding stair gap and it is flowing very well. 3-4 inches of water

I want to say there was another water source between winding stair and siler bald.

It has been a while(spring) since i hiked Wayah to fontana so I will not comment on those water conditions as they are out of date. I DID however meet a whole bunch of people doing that section you are about to do nobo, and non of them seemed to be worried about a lack of water.

MockingJay
09-30-2014, 10:29
Concur with Gambit that there are at least two creeks between Winding stair and Siler Bald and there's a spring at Siler Bald Shelter. Although, I would highly recommend staying atop Siler bald if the weather permits. No water between Wesser Shelter and Rufus Morgan Shelter.

saltysack
09-30-2014, 10:33
Thx all yea planned to camp atop of bald..

Gambit McCrae
09-30-2014, 10:55
Thx all yea planned to camp atop of bald..

We got siler bald at 330 AM after a nice 6 mile wet night hike from wayah bald. Fog was in the area the whole time, I didnt bother summiting siler nor Standing indian because there was no view just fog. I would post a pic but the uploader isnt working

MkBibble
09-30-2014, 10:58
Definately don't miss cheoah bald sunset! That walk fro there to fontana dam is a long one. Don't underestimate it! Did it two years ago. Have fun!

saltysack
09-30-2014, 11:03
We got siler bald at 330 AM after a nice 6 mile wet night hike from wayah bald. Fog was in the area the whole time, I didnt bother summiting siler nor Standing indian because there was no view just fog. I would post a pic but the uploader isnt working

Damn that's a late night! I really like night hiking...especially since I bought a zebra light.... I'll be doing some night hiking on this trip. Headin nobo from wsg how far off trail is siler bald or shelter? I'm planning on picking up a new tent/tarp at outdoor 76 in franklin before headin out...should be fun setting up first time in dark on siler bald.. (Lhg solong6)...

Gambit McCrae
09-30-2014, 11:07
Damn that's a late night! I really like night hiking...especially since I bought a zebra light.... I'll be doing some night hiking on this trip. Headin nobo from wsg how far off trail is siler bald or shelter? I'm planning on picking up a new tent/tarp at outdoor 76 in franklin before headin out...should be fun setting up first time in dark on siler bald.. (Lhg solong6)...

Siler bald shelter is on a .5 spur trail, which has a second spur trail that is .5 that reintersects at the point of the AT and the short trail up to siler bald summit. Siler bald Summit is NOT on the AT, Nor is the shelter

saltysack
09-30-2014, 11:08
Siler bald shelter is on a .5 spur trail, which has a second spur trail that is .5 that reintersects at the point of the AT and the short trail up to siler bald summit. Siler bald Summit is NOT on the AT, Nor is the shelter

Ok since will possibly be late will or prob just find flat spot off trsil

saltysack
09-30-2014, 14:01
Definately don't miss cheoah bald sunset! That walk fro there to fontana dam is a long one. Don't underestimate it! Did it two years ago. Have fun!

How is the terrain between cheoah bald and dam? 21 mile day would be a new high for me..18 is about the most I've done...I figured I get an early start take good hour mid day break then push on...usually avg lil over 2.5 mph...

MkBibble
10-01-2014, 13:52
It was my longest too. I really didn't start the day planning on it, but I had gotten up early to watch the sunrise. I realized by 10:00 am that I was already well on my way - so I just kept going. I expected Jacob's Ladder to be tough (since it has a name...) but I barely remember the climb. For me the hardest part was those last 1.8 miles from Park Road 28 to the dam. I had been seeing the lake for several hours and thought I was done when I got to the road. Wrong!

Still, I would do it again for that sunset.

saltysack
10-01-2014, 14:05
It was my longest too. I really didn't start the day planning on it, but I had gotten up early to watch the sunrise. I realized by 10:00 am that I was already well on my way - so I just kept going. I expected Jacob's Ladder to be tough (since it has a name...) but I barely remember the climb. For me the hardest part was those last 1.8 miles from Park Road 28 to the dam. I had been seeing the lake for several hours and thought I was done when I got to the road. Wrong!

Still, I would do it again for that sunset.

Thx that's the plan